+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
flamingteeth said:
I "suspect" (of course I am not sure, and do not mean to scare anyone here) the bill maybe passed before the summer break, and the new residence requirement will be ON immediately, the Revoking Canadian Citizenship" Part will be left for a further discussion, and it might be removed eventually. (6-12 months later??)

Only guessing here....
Part of your guess is correct and part is not. The bill WILL be passed before the summer break, because that's what the Government wants and they are in total control. (That's how it works in a parliamentary system...majority rule.) However, it states right on a government webpage concerning the bill (I'd insert the link if I were able) that the section dealing with number of years will not go into effect until a later date that the Government will decide upon. We don't know what that date will be. Some parts of the bill, such as the part dealing with the "Lost Canadians", will take effect immediately or are retroactive to April 2009! Those sections don't concern the people here.

sazamizi

Jan 26, 2014
Hamilton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, the only part which is problematic is the intent to resident in Canada and revoking the citizenship. These things are potentially unconstitutional.

flamingteeth said:
I agree, for the "Revoking Canadian Citizenship" Part, it might take some time to implement. However, for the new residency requirement, it might be ON immediately.

I have asked all the Canadians (born-to-be) around me, and they are all for the new bill. It seems that only our immigrants who are unhappy to it.

Also, I think the only hotspot in this bill is the "Revoking Canadian Citizenship" Part, and all the parties agree with the new residence requirement.

I "suspect" (of course I am not sure, and do not mean to scare anyone here) the bill maybe passed before the summer break, and the new residence requirement will be ON immediately, the Revoking Canadian Citizenship" Part will be left for a further discussion, and it might be removed eventually. (6-12 months later??)

Only guessing here....

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sazamizi said:
Yes, the only part which is problematic is the intent to resident in Canada and revoking the citizenship. These things are potentially unconstitutional.
alexander has already said the intend to reside won't apply in revoking citizenships. it only applies for citizenship applications. look into his statement.

flamingteeth

Star Member
May 26, 2014
alphazip said:
Part of your guess is correct and part is not. The bill WILL be passed before the summer break, because that's what the Government wants and they are in total control. (That's how it works in a parliamentary system...majority rule.) However, it states right on a government webpage concerning the bill (I'd insert the link if I were able) that the section dealing with number of years will not go into effect until a later date that the Government will decide upon. We don't know what that date will be. Some parts of the bill, such as the part dealing with the "Lost Canadians", will take effect immediately or are retroactive to April 2009! Those sections don't concern the people here.
If you are right, I would be more than happy, because I will send my application next Monday.
Let's see what will happen.

pedros

Star Member
Oct 18, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have posted this on another thread, but for those thinking that CIC will not be able to implement certain provisions of the bill until some months after Royal Assent then you should be aware of the Interpretation Act

Regulation Prior to Commencement

7. Where an enactment is not in force and it contains provisions conferring power to make regulations or do any other thing, that power may, for the purpose of making the enactment effective on its commencement, be exercised at any time before its commencement, but a regulation so made or a thing so done has no effect until the commencement of the enactment, except in so far as may be necessary to make the enactment effective on its commencement.
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/i-21/page-3.html#h-8

So CIC would be quite within the law to have all the procedural changes ready to go before the bill is even passed! Yes, I couldn't quite believe this myself. Given the Conservative majority and their determination to get the bill through, I am guessing CIC could be willing to hedge their bets.

But who knows what will actually happen.

sazamizi

Jan 26, 2014
Hamilton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I hope so.

I think they should make the bill clear and mention everything on it. Otherwise, everybody has own interpretation. doesn't it?

chakrab said:
alexander has already said the intend to reside won't apply in revoking citizenships. it only applies for citizenship applications. look into his statement.

canimmigrate

Star Member
Oct 21, 2012
CT, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chakrab said:
Actually, intent to reside is the most confusing part. How does it apply to citizen applications? What I've understood is if I go out of Canada for a long period after filing citizenship application then I'll be in trouble. Some people are interpreting in a way that any extended period spent out of Canada could potentially cause problems.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canimmigrate said:
Actually, intent to reside is the most confusing part. How does it apply to citizen applications? What I've understood is if I go out of Canada for a long period after filing citizenship application then I'll be in trouble. Some people are interpreting in a way that any extended period spent out of Canada could potentially cause problems.
it's stop people from applying for citizenship and then moving out of canada. even now that invokes RQ for many. once you gain citizenship, it won't be a problem. you won't get your citizenship revoked like many were worried here.

it's confusing because people choose to believe the worst situation possible.

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
I am now in a position to issue a prediction: Bill C-24 will NOT pass before the summer break.

I'm taking bets! Anyone??

8) 8) 8)

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
marcus66502 said:
I am now in a position to issue a prediction: Bill C-24 will NOT pass before the summer break.

8) 8) 8)
I stand with you with 80% possibility. (80% it will not Pass before Summer Break)

polarbear

Sep 17, 2012
marcus66502 said:

8) 8) 8)
Thursday evening we will get a clear picture of the status of the bill. Senate is not working on Friday. :-X

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
marcus66502 said:

8) 8) 8)
Folks
Any report from Senate, can we see their proceedings live?