+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

noor-blue83

Star Member
Jun 17, 2014
I honestly do not know when it will be implemented. all I know is I would rather wait for 2 years then go through a RC, be reviewed by a CJ and play a guessing game for 3 years or more with a 90% possibility of rejection.
:-[

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alphazip said:
Now that I can post a link, this document states that most of the provisions of C-24 will take effect on "a day to be fixed by order of the Governor in Council":

http://www.parl.gc.ca/Content/LOP/LegislativeSummaries/41/2/c24-e.pdf

Specifically see section 2.9.3.2, which identifies "subsequent" changes as including "new requirements for naturalization and revocation". So, the date when applications for citizenship will have to conform to the new law is still unknown, and may not even be this year.
I read the whole things and the date of implementation is up to " order of government in Council ", does it mean its up to Chris Alexander?
some of them doesnt even need to wait for royal assent?
I need someone to explain, pls

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
Ok

Everyone needs to stop getting into a frenzy over these things; remember at the end of the day you have no control over this so just hope and pray for the best.

The date the bill will be implemented will be determined at the Governor-In-Council session after it passes both houses. Neither Chris Alexander nor Stephen Harper probably know when that is right now. They will decide once the bill passes the Senate.

You have to also remember that some of the provisions of this bill are likely to be challenged in court-- The courts in their decision can throw out certain provisions of the bill or the entire bill. Ultimately it will end up in the Supreme Court and Harper does not have a good track record with them

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sicko86 said:
Looks like There will be another sitting for Second reading, as Last Stage Completed is still first reading.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/LegisInfo/BillDetails.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&billId=6401990
The parliament page is usually not up-to-date so maybe or maybe not there will be another 2nd reading sitting. gotta wait for the order of business for june 18 sitting. then we will know. but it is definitely going to committee in no time.

RAY2112

Jul 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
marcus66502 said:
I am now in a position to issue a prediction: Bill C-24 will NOT pass before the summer break.

I'm taking bets! Anyone??

8) 8) 8)
You bet :)

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Parliament is Canada's legislature. Parliament is the federal institution with the power to make laws, to raise taxes and to authorize government spending. Canada's legislature is "bicameral", meaning it has two chambers. Proposed legislation is debated and voted on in both Chambers or Houses-the appointed Senate and the elected House of Commons (often described as the "upper" and "lower" houses).

The legislative and executive branches of the Government create the laws of the land. Proposed government legislation (a bill) is introduced in one of the two Chambers (usually the House of Commons) by a Minister. The bill is then subjected to a detailed process of review, debate, examination and amendment through both chambers before it is ready to receive final approval.

To become law, all legislation must be adopted by both houses in identical form and receive Royal Assent. Bills calling for the spending of public revenues or for the imposing of taxes must originate in the House of Commons.

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A bill may contain a clause, usually at the end of the bill, specifying when the bill or certain provisions of the bill will come into force. Sometimes, legislation is passed by both Houses of Parliament and receives Royal Assent, but does not come into force immediately if it contains a provision that it will come into force only on a specific date (other than the date of Royal Assent) or a date to be fixed by Order in Council. Otherwise, the bill ill come into force on the day it is assented to.

Richie888

Jun 17, 2014
My guess is that they try to pass it before summer break, otherwise why this sudden rush with all senate and committee sittings taking place almost simultaneously and only days appart ?

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
First Reading
Hide Sittings
Chamber Sitting: 72
2014-06-16
First Reading
2014-06-16
Second Reading
Hide Sittings
Chamber Sitting: 73
2014-06-17
Second Reading
2014-06-17
Referral to Committee
2014-06-17
Committee
Standing Senate Committee on Social Affairs, Science and Technology

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Committee stage now, it is SPEEDING THROUGH!!!
now i am waiting anxiously to find out how many meeting will be scheduled for the committee.
maybe it will receive royal assent b4 summer recess! watch out!

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tolerance said:
Yes, clause by clause consideration by the SOCI committee, tonight at 7 pm, will be televised.
This is insane!!!!!!
i think i need to send out my application tmw.