20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
MUFC said:
Based on the given information from a local MP who is familiar with the internal policies of CIC.
Focus on the topics not on my personality.
And you rather take the word of an MP that doesn't work at CIC, who makes the decision on when the actual cutoff date will be. Maybe at the time the MP heard it will be late. It's possible that things actually changed and was able to move up the cutoff date since the MP heard the supposed inside news last.

Does this MP have a red phone that rings directly to the CIC head authorities when he/she picked it up?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
MUFC said:
I trust that MPs words much more than the call centre.
I don't trust anyone's word, MP or call centre, since they all don't have the authority to determine when the cutoff date will be.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
I don't trust anyone's word, MP or call centre, since they all don't have the authority to determine when the cutoff date will be.
That's absolutely fine

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
MUFC said:
I trust that MPs words much more than the call centre.
Unless and until the information is published in the Gazette (http://www.gazette.gc.ca/gazette/home-accueil-eng.php), any information you offer regarding dates is merely hearsay. As such, it is worthless. Please refrain from the "he said, she said" responses on this subject.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would ask the people to stop calling the call centre about that.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
hinavin said:
Hey folks,
Any idea if for any application filed in July 2015 is anticipated to factor the older 3 yr or the revised 4 yr rule?

(Not sure if this post is still actively monitored!)
Rgds
There is a chance that a July application will still be processed pursuant to the current three years resident in Canada requirement, but there is probably a greater likelihood that applications received at CIC after June 30, 2015 will be processed pursuant to the four years actual presence within six requirement.

The most any of us can honestly say at this stage is that we do NOT know when the amended version of Section 5(1) of the Citizenship Act will come into force, but that it will undoubtedly come into force this year before the Federal election takes place (latest possible date for the election is October 19), and most likely by mid-summer 2015, although perhaps sooner.

Longer explanation with background:

There is no official statement as to when the amended version of Section 5(1) of the Citizenship Act will come into force.

There has been no informal or unofficial statement regarding the likely date since the CIC announcement last June vaguely stating that the changes to the residency requirement (which is section 5(1), and which will implement the 4/6 rule replacing the current 3/4 rule) will take effect in approximately a year.

It is highly unlikely that anyone knows much more than this outside a very close knit-circle, close to the PM and probably within the PMO (thus not a circle around Minister Alexander, albeit Minister Alexander himself may be within the close-knit circle who knows).

While the announcement last June 19 said "approximately a year," given the manner in which this government uses language, not much can be read into that, and in particular the reference to "approximately" undoubtedly embraces a very, very large window of time.

Thus, it could be more than a year, or less than a year, by months.

Before mid-summer is highly likely.

My guess is that it will be no later than August 1, 2015, and September 1 at the very latest, but more likely by July 1st or sooner.

MPs, even most members of the Cabinet, probably do not know any more precisely than that. Most CIC staff probably do not know any more precisely than that. Some upper level CIC staff may have a good idea, without knowing the precise date, but they are almost certainly not going to divulge that publicly or to anyone who would divulge it publicly (or even to CIC staff generally).

No one here has any better idea of when it will be than that (including me of course). Claims otherwise are not at all credible.

Oddsmakers are likely to give July 1, 2015 the best odds.

If one was betting in the manner of betting on a horse race, betting on what the bettor believes is the most likely three dates (a to show bet), in addition to July 1st, I suppose June 1 and August 1 would be the oddsmaker's picks. Personally, though, I'd just split my bets on June 1 and July 1 and not do a to-show bet (my sense is that it will most likely be July 1 or sooner -- my guess I should say with emphasis).

No matter which date it is, there will be many, many thousands of PRs cutoff from qualifying in a way that will add a year or so to how long they will have to wait to qualify and apply.

Finally, we also do NOT know how much notice there will be, if any, before the amended version comes into force. There was NO notice before the provisions which came into force on August 1, 2014 as to the date those would come into force.

As the actual date approaches there should be some clues. As the actual date approaches more personnel at CIC should at least have a strong clue that the date is coming. There is no guarantee the cutoff date will be the 1st of a month but that seems likely. So, there are likely to be somewhat credible rumours leaking out of CIC in the month or so prior to the actual date the amended residency requirement takes effect.

My guess regarding advance notice:

My guess regarding advance notice is that there will be some notice, but not much.

My guess is that there will be actual notice in the range of a week to ten days.

Prior to that, my guess, is that the CIC rumour leaks are likely to circulate publicly around three or four weeks prior to the date.

Then, again just my guess, is that CIC will give some actual notice, perhaps approximately the same amount of notice as CIC just gave for the January 1st fee increase . . . as I said, in the range of a week to ten days.

Note that, in contrast, the February 2014 fee increase was implemented with NO notice . . . which almost certainly resulted in hundreds if not many thousands of returned applications, more bother than it was worth for CIC. That, I think, clued upper-level decision-makers in CIC that at least some notice is required to avoid huge piles of applications which have to be handled only to be returned. Hard to say, though, whether that understanding will influence the PM and PMO (who ultimately decides the effective date and when to make the "order" itself, that is, whether or not to make the order itself sufficiently in advance of the date specified in the order to give at least some notice), since this PM and his inner circle tend to operate as if they know best, often with minimal if any input from outside the inner circle.

I would also venture that the decision as to the effective date has already been made. Thus, probably some people know, although the number of people who know is probably very, very few.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
We can all take turns stepping up to the soapbox and make educated guesses as to when the cutoff date will start. No matter how many sources we like to list, from MP's to call centre's to inside sources, they are all hearsay only.

All I can say is until the official announcement is made, apply as soon as you qualify under the 3/4 year rule while you still can.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It will be interesting how much time in advance (if any) they will give to the public regardless when the cut off date will be?

Next week we will approach the middle of January and up that moment nothing official...

It will be a common sense from them to give enough time for the future applicants to know the new guides the new forms and so on...

The time for implementation is coming but the mystery is still there.

mnouman

Apr 21, 2015
marcus66502 said:
I'm going to be quite honest here, there are participants in this forum who have their wits about them and know what kind of information they're looking for, and then there's the rest, who don't understand what this forum is for and don't understand that we cannot provide the info they're looking for. To the second kind, I say the best way to prevent them from taking over the forum is to ignore them consistently. It's not wise to spend your time even acknowledging someone who posts questions that have nothing to do with the topic of this thread. Only after being ignored consistently would there be a chance they'd understand that this is not the thread to ask what color of pen you should use to fill out the application forms or how to answer a certain question on the form (maybe for some people a lawyer is really necessary).

I also don't think it's worth dealing with anyone who

(1) Reads some writer's opinion on a news article and then comes here and states it as fact;
(2) Does not understand that any lawyer's statement about the future of Bill C-24 is nothing more than a guess; or
(3) Cannot tell the difference between personal opinion and official information;

In spite of the argumentative nature of my numerous posts in this thread, I believe I have given more in the way of information from personal experience and my inquiries at CIC than most posters in here. I have been disappointed at times by its cold reception, the latest case of this being the dismissal of the info I shared from my last Friday's conversation with a CIC call centre agent. She said clearly that the new residency provision of Bill C-24 would take effect on July 19, 2015. I shared this info in this thread and what do I get? Comments like thepolestars' to the effect that we cannot rely on CIC's Call Center (as if I claimed this was official information).

Hey buddy, I've got a suggestion for you: if you don't like the quality of the info I share, feel free to ignore it and look for better quality info yourself!
Hi all. My real time scenario is that; some dates assumed....!
Arrival: May 01, 2012 - March 22, 2015 (almost 1000 days)
depart Canada; March 23, 2015 to March 23, 2016 is back date to Canada
eligible for citizenship under new rule on : May 01, 2017

but I as per rule I am not fulfilling the 183 days duration during my current visit (March 23, 2015 to March 23, 2016). my question is that be I eligible on May 01, 2017????/

*** days counted may be bit up and down in real count up.

FR

Star Member
Oct 9, 2014
I just heard the Minister of Immigration saying from June 2015, All those who apply for Citizenship should have resided in Canada 4 out 6 yrs. The video was posted on Canadian Arab Community Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/ArabCanadians?pnref=story

sjakub

Sep 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
FR said:
I just heard the Minister of Immigration saying from June 2015 (...).
That's an old video that has been discussed before. It doesn't really mean anything.