+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

chelavnzuo

Star Member
Jan 2, 2014
Can someone help me understand the current status of the bill?

Today is Jun 17th and the bill has just passed its third reading and is now on the first senate reading.
My understanding is that senate committee has all the time up to Jun 27th to study the bill. After that the only step is royal assent, which can happen anytime.
So the Jun 20th summer break is now irrelevant to the bill already because the bill has already passed the house of common stage, and the bill is now like a time bomb can go off in any second.

Am I understanding this correctly?

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
can someone contact CBC, so one of their reporter can call Chris Alexander and ask about the implementation date.
i hate the guessing game, i check the parliament website at least 10 times a day, listening to their broadcast.
i agree the government can pass the bill whenever they want. they can take 1 day to pass 2nd reading in senate, and spend another day in commitee, which currently only has 1 meeting schedule for june 18, thus assume they will begin studying the bill on June 19. and pass that stage, the bill will be ready to go for 3rd reading next wednesday, June 25. Thats the fastest route i see.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm sorry, but Chris Alexander doesn't appear to be the type of fellow who would give a straight answer to the CBC. I wrote to a reporter and asked about the coming into force date, but he just said he didn't know.

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
chelavnzuo said:
Can someone help me understand the current status of the bill?

Today is Jun 17th and the bill has just passed its third reading and is now on the first senate reading.
My understanding is that senate committee has all the time up to Jun 27th to study the bill. After that the only step is royal assent, which can happen anytime.
So the Jun 20th summer break is now irrelevant to the bill already because the bill has already passed the house of common stage, and the bill is now like a time bomb can go off in any second.

Am I understanding this correctly?
The Bill has Passed the House of Common and Has passed First Reading at the Senate.

The House of Common Calendar Ends on June 20th (Thats not important now because the Bill is in the Senate).

The Senate Calender Ends on June 27th (Before Summer Break).

If the Senate could finish the Second Reading,Commitee Review and Third reading in Matter of 6 Business Days (Before or On June 27th) .. the Bill can pass before the summer break ..

shaazdeh

Jan 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alphazip said:
After reading news reports, I wrote privately to one of the reporters. His reply: "The bill will likely pass the Senate before it rises at the end of the week." It doesn't matter what the official Senate agenda looks like. If the Government wants the bill to pass before the summer recess, it will. However, the more important thing to look at is...when will the provisions affecting the number of years required to apply for citizenship come into force? According to the bill, that won't be until "a day to be fixed by order of the Governor in Council". We won't know what that day will be until it is announced. It could be as far away as next year.
He is just a journalist! it does not make him know more than we do and believe me if he did know anything for certain, he wouldn't share it with unanimous person

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Folks please -- there is no way to know when the bill will pass, and after it has passed, there is no way to know what the implementation date will be. Why ask, and speculate, constantly? Why cite reporters? They don't know. Why cite opposition politicians? They don't know. Why cite Chris Alexander? He probably doesn't know. Why cite the past? The past doesn't know. Just wait -- in a couple of weeks, we'll know.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shaazdeh said:
He is just a journalist! it does not make him know more than we do and believe me if he did know anything for certain, he wouldn't share it with unanimous person
Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense. A journalist who writes on constitutional issues and rubs shoulders with politicians obviously knows more about what is going on behind the scenes than someone on the outside. And, if he knew when the coming into force date was going to be, why wouldn't he share it?

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
alphazip said:
Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense. A journalist who writes on constitutional issues and rubs shoulders with politicians obviously knows more about what is going on behind the scenes than someone on the outside. And, if he knew when the coming into force date was going to be, why wouldn't he share it?
I think no body can know for sure when this will be passed .. this has to go through certain procedure and we can't know how the senate discussion will go from now.

I think by Friday we will have a clear image if the Bill will pass or not.

MrB

Star Member
Aug 24, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
on-hold said:
Folks please -- there is no way to know when the bill will pass, and after it has passed, there is no way to know what the implementation date will be. Why ask, and speculate, constantly? Why cite reporters? They don't know. Why cite opposition politicians? They don't know. Why cite Chris Alexander? He probably doesn't know. Why cite the past? The past doesn't know. Just wait -- in a couple of weeks, we'll know.
Poetry at it's finest...lol

shaazdeh

Jan 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alphazip said:
Politicians and journalists don't rub shoulders!! and Politicians do not share any information to journalist that they are confidential! Otherwise, they lose their jobs!

And I agree with Sicko, no one knows for certain, we just have to wait and see how the process goes

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
shaazdeh said:
Politicians and journalists don't rub shoulders!! and Politicians do not share any information to journalist that they are confidential! Otherwise, they lose their jobs!

And I agree with Sicko, no one knows for certain, we just have to wait and see how the process goes
We have to keep in mind .. the Bill will pass anyways .. it is just a matter of time (Before Summer Break or After). As for trying to stop the Bill .. The Bill will not be stopped or changed .. at least the new residency requirement and the removal of Pre-PR time.

It is a matter of who will be lucky and make it before the new Law comes into force and who will be screwed with the new Law.

In my opinion and based on previous posts and research I made .. people who are eligible in 2014 will make it.

Good luck to everyone :)

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
u4g5 said:
I checked the committee page, no meeting has been scheduled yet, but wonder how many will there be.
just stick to my assumption that the bill will pass 3rd reading no later than next week.
it will come into full force by july 1st
The bill may be passed by next week and part of bill may come into law by July and most likely new residency requirement (4 out of 6) may come in effect end of the year..

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rayman_m said:
The bill may be passed by next week and part of bill may come into law by July and most likely new residency requirement (4 out of 6) may come in effect end of the year..
part of the bill is retroactive to the 2009 act. so they will be effective once the bill passes.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shaazdeh said:

You don't think Mike Duffy (long known as an Ottawa insider) "rubbed shoulders" with Conservative politicians when he was a journalist? I think you're living in a dream world! Certainly some people know for certain when the bill will pass and when it will take effect: the majority Government knows...Harper and Alexander know. Some journalists (and I'm not talking about the local writer for the Arctic News) also know when the bill will pass. What I assume they don't know is when it will take effect.

flamingteeth

Star Member
May 26, 2014
rayman_m said:

I agree, for the "Revoking Canadian Citizenship" Part, it might take some time to implement. However, for the new residency requirement, it might be ON immediately.

I have asked all the Canadians (born-to-be) around me, and they are all for the new bill. It seems that only our immigrants who are unhappy to it.

Also, I think the only hotspot in this bill is the "Revoking Canadian Citizenship" Part, and all the parties agree with the new residence requirement.

I "suspect" (of course I am not sure, and do not mean to scare anyone here) the bill maybe passed before the summer break, and the new residence requirement will be ON immediately, the Revoking Canadian Citizenship" Part will be left for a further discussion, and it might be removed eventually. (6-12 months later??)

Only guessing here....