civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shaazdeh said:
Civi, I think you are applying today. Congratulations on surviving Bill C-24, I hope you don't forget us :)
Thanks. Courier will come pick up my application in a couple hours. It's 1096 days for me. I am extremely upset with Canadian immigration system.

citizenshiper

Jun 4, 2014
If processed according to the current law, then definitely an RQ and CJ

"Only a citizenship judge can determine if you meet the residence requirements with fewer than 1,095 days of physical presence. If you apply with fewer than 1,095 days of physical presence, a citizenship judge will evaluate the nature of your residence in Canada. You will be asked to complete a residence questionnaire and provide evidence that establishes residence in Canada, and you might be asked to appear in person before a citizenship judge. When you apply with fewer than 1,095 days of physical presence, your application will take longer to process and may be refused by the citizenship judge.

Deciding to apply with fewer than 1,095 days of physical presence is a personal decision that should be made carefully and take into account your personal circumstances."

txboyscout said:
IT wont get to RQ---central intake in Sydeny will send the application back saying does not meet requirements

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bill C-24 is passing 2nd reading in senate today, and then by the end of this week it will clear committee stage, which means 3rd reading next week. what a speedy process, and it proves once again senate is useless!
it makes no sense that prime minister is given the power to pick whoever he likes to sit in the senate! its basically conservative's play toy

esteem

Star Member
Feb 6, 2014
Hey Guys, i got a reply from one of Mississauga NDP candidate who ran in this province elections. If someone can contact him through email or calling him would be great. Below is his response.

Conservatives ram through flawed immigration bill

Fayaz Karim says he will continue to stand with the NDP against bill C-24. This bill goes against what it means to be Canadian.

Despite widespread opposition from Canadians and concerns from the legal community about its constitutionality, Conservatives rammed their deeply flawed immigration bill, C-24, through the House of Commons today.

“This bill is facing an imminent challenge in court over its blatant disregard for the Constitution,” said Lysane Blanchette-Lamothe (Pierrefonds-Dollard), NDP critic for Citizenship and Immigration. “Yet the Conservatives ignored all the expert testimony and refused to accept any amendments.”

The Canadian Bar Association, UNICEF, the Canadian Association of Refugee Lawyers, Amnesty International, the Canadian Council for Refugees, the Constitutional Rights Centre, and many academics, have all raised concerns that the bill does not comply with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms or with international treaties.

“The Minister of Citizenship and Immigration has chosen to make blatant attacks on the integrity of these respected groups instead of acknowledging the validity of their questions. Time and again we see Conservatives like Chris Alexander blindly attacking anyone who disagrees with them,” added Andrew Cash (Davenport), NDP Deputy Critic for Citizenship and Immigration. “Now, instead of a law that strengthens Canadian citizenship, we will have another flawed government bill being dragged through years of costly court challenges.”

The bill now heads to the Conservative-dominated Senate for final approval.

Fayaz Karim
Ontario NDP Candidate, Mississauga East - Cooksville
647-284-9973
fayaz.karim@mail.utoronto.ca | www.fayazkarim.ca | www.ndp.ca

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Government Notices of Motions
With leave of the Senate,

The Honourable Senator Martin moved, seconded by the Honourable Senator Poirier:

That, for the purposes of its consideration of Bill C-24, An Act to amend the Citizenship Act and to make consequential amendments to other Acts, should this bill be referred to the committee, the Standing Senate Committee on Social Affairs, Science and Technology have the power to meet on Tuesday, June 17, 2014, even though the Senate may then be sitting, with the application of rule 12-18(1) being suspended in relation thereto.

The question being put on the motion, it was adopted.

Introduction and First Reading of Government Bills
A message was brought from the House of Commons with a Bill C-24, An Act to amend the Citizenship Act and to make consequential amendments to other Acts, to which it desires the concurrence of the Senate.

The bill was read the first time.

With leave of the Senate

The Honourable Senator Martin moved, seconded by the Honourable Senator Marshall, that the bill be placed on the Orders of the Day for a second reading at the next sitting of the Senate.

The question being put on the motion, it was adopted.

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I checked the committee page, no meeting has been scheduled yet, but wonder how many will there be.
just stick to my assumption that the bill will pass 3rd reading no later than next week.
it will come into full force by july 1st

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
esteem said:
Hey Guys, i got a reply from one of Mississauga NDP candidate who ran in this province elections. If someone can contact him through email or calling him would be great. Below is his response.

Conservatives ram through flawed immigration bill

Fayaz Karim says he will continue to stand with the NDP against bill C-24. This bill goes against what it means to be Canadian.

Despite widespread opposition from Canadians and concerns from the legal community about its constitutionality, Conservatives rammed their deeply flawed immigration bill, C-24, through the House of Commons today.

“This bill is facing an imminent challenge in court over its blatant disregard for the Constitution,” said Lysane Blanchette-Lamothe (Pierrefonds-Dollard), NDP critic for Citizenship and Immigration. “Yet the Conservatives ignored all the expert testimony and refused to accept any amendments.”

The Canadian Bar Association, UNICEF, the Canadian Association of Refugee Lawyers, Amnesty International, the Canadian Council for Refugees, the Constitutional Rights Centre, and many academics, have all raised concerns that the bill does not comply with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms or with international treaties.

“The Minister of Citizenship and Immigration has chosen to make blatant attacks on the integrity of these respected groups instead of acknowledging the validity of their questions. Time and again we see Conservatives like Chris Alexander blindly attacking anyone who disagrees with them,” added Andrew Cash (Davenport), NDP Deputy Critic for Citizenship and Immigration. “Now, instead of a law that strengthens Canadian citizenship, we will have another flawed government bill being dragged through years of costly court challenges.”

The bill now heads to the Conservative-dominated Senate for final approval.

Fayaz Karim
Ontario NDP Candidate, Mississauga East - Cooksville
647-284-9973
fayaz.karim @ mail.utoronto.ca | www.fayazkarim.ca | www.ndp.ca
I am not sure what a Candidate who LOST in the provinicial election (i.e: holds not political office) will be able to do about a FEDERAL immigration bill?

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
u4g5 said:
I checked the committee page, no meeting has been scheduled yet, but wonder how many will there be.
just stick to my assumption that the bill will pass 3rd reading no later than next week.
it will come into full force by july 1st
How did you come up with that guess? Predictions doesnt work this way? you have to compare it to realistic similar senario!! (I am talking about coming into force on July 1st)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
txboyscout said:
I am not sure what a Candidate who LOST in the provinicial election (i.e: holds not political office) will be able to do about a FEDERAL immigration bill?
Agreed. He has zero power or influence.

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
civic said:
Thanks. Courier will come pick up my application in a couple hours. It's 1096 days for me. I am extremely upset with Canadian immigration system.
Hey Civic, can I ask which courier is coming to pick up your application? does it make a difference if they come to pick it up or you got to their location? What's the cost and when will it be delivered?

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Goldline said:
Hey Civic, can I ask which courier is coming to pick up your application? does it make a difference if they come to pick it up or you got to their location? What's the cost and when will it be delivered?
I think most couriers dont charge extra fee for pick up. I use Purolator. If they pick up today in Calgary they will deliver it in Sydney NS on Thursday which is 2 business day. $35 for express. not much higher than canada post rate but I think Canada Post is unreliable for delivery services to small towns like Sydney. Why the heck CIC choose to locate their citizenship processing hub there is another question

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm in Toronto. Any suggestion on how I should send the application, I mean a fast way. I'm not in the mood to apply this week with all this Law thing coming so fast I'm thinking to apply Monday God willing. I hope I will make it

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
After reading news reports, I wrote privately to one of the reporters. His reply: "The bill will likely pass the Senate before it rises at the end of the week." It doesn't matter what the official Senate agenda looks like. If the Government wants the bill to pass before the summer recess, it will. However, the more important thing to look at is...when will the provisions affecting the number of years required to apply for citizenship come into force? According to the bill, that won't be until "a day to be fixed by order of the Governor in Council". We won't know what that day will be until it is announced. It could be as far away as next year.

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
alphazip said:
After reading news reports, I wrote privately to one of the reporters. His reply: "The bill will likely pass the Senate before it rises at the end of the week." It doesn't matter what the official Senate agenda looks like. If the Government wants the bill to pass before the summer recess, it will. However, the more important thing to look at is...when will the provisions affecting the number of years required to apply for citizenship come into force? According to the bill, that won't be until "a day to be fixed by order of the Governor in Council". We won't know what that day will be until it is announced. It could be as far away as next year.
Thats most likely the case .. if they passed it before the Summer Break, I except it will come into force January 1st 2015. Similar to Citizenship Act 1946 .. thats the earliest possible time. If not it will be a year after similar to 1977 Act and 2008 Act.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Citizenship_Act_1946

Date assented to June 27, 1946
Date commenced January 1, 1947

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CIC located their processing centre in Sydney for political reasons. It's a town in the riding of a (now former) politician, who wanted to create work for his district.