July 8 2014
Med's Request
July 9, 2014
Med's Done....
July 9, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
july 28, 2014
adees said:
I would like to know , since i already have the contract and lmo last april 2 it was submitted in the canadian embassy ... Do you think my application has been affected my the moratorium ? My agency here in philippines told me that my application will still continue until it will be completed , but im so confuse
What will be your job in canada?is that mercan agency here in philippines? Food counter attendant? Some said they received on hold status for tfw

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
iammikeywithy said:
What will be your job in canada?is that mercan agency here in philippines? Food counter attendant? Some said they received on hold status for tfw
I'm not from the Philippines and I didn't use a recruitment agency. My job's title is, "food counter attendant" and I am affected by this moratorium.

As for how long this moratorium would take, I initially estimated that it wouldn't go past the end of this month. But this email from Jason Kenney's secretary about there being no immediate plans to lift the ban, really crushed all my hopes of the moratorium being lifted this week. I know that Kenney's already planning to increase the LMO application fee (by how much, I don't know) because he said so on CTV last Tuesday. He might increase advertising times too and bring out a hell of a lot more restrictions. But none of that really means that he'll necessarily lift the moratorium on restaurants after all the changes are made.

Personally, I think that Kenney's testing the restaurant industry by making them suffer a good chunk of the busy summer season without TFWs to see how they'll survive without them. If the restaurants suddenly pick up many Canadians now that the TFW option is closed, it would prove that there's not much of a labor shortage. If this summer turns out to be a summer of painfully slow service due to a lack of Canadian employees, then he can come out and tell Canadians to zip their yaps about TFWs taking their jobs. It's one big experiment that WILL cost them a few weeks/months of lost revenue due to understaffing.

lnpiercy

May 6, 2014
I really hope STOPDA does not get into this country with his attitude. I am for IMMIGRATION, not TEMPORARY foreign workers who come in filling low skilled positions meant for our kids.
I respect immigrants that want to come make this country their home, that is what this country was built on and that is what MOST Canadians want, immigration not people here temporarily or trying to immigrate through the back door bumping people who do it legitimately. Please don't pretend you understand what is going on as you obviously don't. And don't post about how this is a racist issue as that has nothing to do with it. Tired about reading you rants. We are not obligated to offer you a job at all, the obligation of this country is it;s citizens first.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
So we got another participant who thinks "they are offering jobs" to others only because they are citizens here and go on to claim this is not racism. Nationalism may be... heck.. My impression of education, literacy, rationality and social awareness of this country seems to be going down day by day. Or may be because any one can write any thing on a public forum, it helps people open up easily. Coz the Canadians i interact with on a daily basis (in various parts of the country) seem far better. Heck they (the ones ranting on the forum) don't even know what exactly temp worker program actually is - and we keep fooling around with arguments... against the "Know all - understand all - citizens of Canada" who either moved here some time ago, or perhaps their parents did ... that seems to be the only qualification i see right now.

Update:
A lot of people who either share information to help others, or respectfully question or deny the information they got with reference OR humbly put in their opinions - are certainly NOT addressed here as Canadians. There are several ones here @ Zardoz, @Leon, @scylla as well as several others with in this thread too. They even if had a disagreement or problems with the program at least stick with their arguments, which made sense in many ways, make us realize and value their stance as well.

P.S. I am not a low skilled temp worker so i hope what i said can't be classified as rant.

lnpiercy

May 6, 2014
Is there something wrong nationalism? I am very well educated but when my children struggle to find their first job....I am concerned. I am all for healthy debate but I was responding to this person's argument that we all must be racist if we are against this program...not the case. We should only use it for skilled professions where it is legitimately needed. If you want the support of people living here then stick with rational arguments not spewing we all must be racist.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
That's a much better answer, the previous one wasn't and i would be happy to discuss opinions in which we might agree on some points and differ on others, that is perfectly fine.

Nothing wrong with nationalism. Just that when some body is offered a job by some one, it is not bestowed upon them courtesy of Canadians. Whether principally damaging to economy or not is a concern that can be explored, but a job is a two way street - employer offers it for his own sake and employee for his own. It is a trade, if it is manipulated in some cases by employers raising concerns of Canadians, those problems should be fixed, rather than calling all sorts of names to all those employees who came to work.

I do not deny that misuse of this program in some cases is making it difficult for children finding their first job. Probably one day my children would reach that stage as well and would hopefully be here. I would just say that abuse of program is not the ONLY reason. I would also try to ensure that my kids are not lagging in skills either. True that i am not discounting abuse of such programs as a cause, but at the same time i don't want my son to consider his 'Canadian status' as his only qualification. I hope and wish that he is better in academia and professional credentials AS WELL.

I just felt that people went too far in criticism, much of which is discussed on this thread previously as well. Some times the resource himself is just not committed enough to his job (and please don't cite low wages is the reason). I am only referring to the cases where that is not the problem.

Often i see people who are citizens and on welfare where i can vouch that even if they are the last person left for a job, an employer would prefer not having a position than to hire such a guy. It is really awkward when these kinds of people also join in slogans regarding not having jobs because of temp workers. Please don't get me wrong - i am not trying to say you are one - as got pretty cleared by your last answer. I am just trying to strike a balance and show the other side of picture too.

But i think that if Canadians want temp workers to realize and help with eradicating the abuse too - they need to be a bit more respectful and focused.

Mostly, the reasons cited here are low skilled, poorly paid people. That probably is not very true. First, there are pretty good rules that exist to get tfw's the same wages as locals. Some people argued that even THAT is not good and rather foreigners should be paid better wages if they are badly needed. Otherwise Canada would always be short of that skill. This is also fine and there are not many abuses with lower wages. As much as i know those are singled out cases with specific employers. Actions should be taken against those and enforced rather than grueling the entire population on this.

It is not true to assume "temp worker" program is actually meant for a temp stay in the country. In practice it is only used to get some one here faster because the immigrant programs are so hopelessly long and unpredictable that no decision can be based upon that. And almost every one does this with the intention of getting PR latter. This is what government realized and is introducing express entry program as a substitute next year. The temp worker program falls close to visit visas only in terms of processing. I am hoping some of the abuses will go away once there is more focus on express entry next year because this route will be chosen far less then.

So the people who are coming here to call this country home, become part of economy, contribute more than existing residents (because they have equal obligations, but lack some benefits), but only went through temp worker program because they were able to find an employer (or an employer found them), and chose it being a faster route would be treated the same way as new immigrants.

Besides, no one usually travels half way across the world to stay there for just a year or two. Visit visas should be enough to do that IF THEY HAD ALLOWED people to earn which is not the case. I am positive that there would almost be a negligible percentage of temp workers who do not become residents ultimately.

In many ways temp workers face unique challenges that i have cited earlier WHILE undergoing all obligations of a PR or a citizen. This might vary i.e. some low skilled workers might be reaping more benefits than contributing but this is just a perception. We all can have opinions or individual inputs about this. But there is no real data.

So we should raise voice against the abuse of program rather than asking to shut it down completely or spend all day cursing it.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
I just supported that person because he kept his cool earlier in the conversation while others kind of gotten to a level that looked insulting or at least unreasonable to me.

People simply and conveniently skipped the parts of argument (or statistics) that were against their theories and ONLY focused on the others. That's when i felt odd. It no longer remains a healthy discussion if both sides are JUST TRYING to prove to other that they are wrong.

scorpion_ca

May 31, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can anyone please explain "Food Services Sector" as per Canadian Law / Service Canada? Any website link would be great. Thanks!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
scorpion_ca said:
Can anyone please explain "Food Services Sector" as per Canadian Law / Service Canada? Any website link would be great. Thanks!
It's defined in a link from http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/foreign_workers/lmo_ref/index.shtml at http://stds.statcan.gc.ca/naics-scian/2002/cs-rc-eng.asp?criteria=722

Anah

Jul 12, 2013
My husband's NOC 9617(Labourer in Food, Beverage and Tobacco processing) employed under food manufacturing plant.Is his job included the moratorium? Or it it just limited on the list under NOC 6...
Can someone enlighten me please? Because he is about to have his vacation on Saturday in the Philippines, he is worried the he can't go back to Canada, because the immigration here in the Phil will hold his re- entry. His working permit is valid until May 10, 2015. Everything was all set, including his plane ticket.. But he has second thoughts of pursuing his vacation because of this. Please help. Thank you!

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Anah said:
My husband's NOC 9617(Labourer in Food, Beverage and Tobacco processing) employed under food manufacturing plant.Is his job included the moratorium? Or it it just limited on the list under NOC 6...
Can someone enlighten me please? Because he is about to have his vacation on Saturday in the Philippines, he is worried the he can't go back to Canada, because the immigration here in the Phil will hold his re- entry. His working permit is valid until May 10, 2015. Everything was all set, including his plane ticket.. But he has second thoughts of pursuing his vacation because of this. Please help. Thank you!
Whether in affected category or not, CIC clearly wrote in the FAQ's that those with existing work permits would remain unaffected. As already pointed out, if you are concerned you should carry may be a print out of specific reference of CIC instructions from web site along with may be a recent pay stub.

isabela

Star Member
May 14, 2011
Anah said:

better call the CIC....

scorpion_ca

May 31, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks!

What I understood is that the gas bar attendant at Petro Canada is not affected with this moratorium. Pls correct me if I am wrong.

zardoz said:
It's defined in a link from http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/foreign_workers/lmo_ref/index.shtml at http://stds.statcan.gc.ca/naics-scian/2002/cs-rc-eng.asp?criteria=722

stopDA

Apr 27, 2013
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lnpiercy said:
Is there something wrong nationalism? I am very well educated but when my children struggle to find their first job....I am concerned. I am all for healthy debate but I was responding to this person's argument that we all must be racist if we are against this program...not the case. We should only use it for skilled professions where it is legitimately needed. If you want the support of people living here then stick with rational arguments not spewing we all must be racist.
lnpiercy said:
I really hope STOPDA does not get into this country with his attitude. I am for IMMIGRATION, not TEMPORARY foreign workers who come in filling low skilled positions meant for our kids.
I respect immigrants that want to come make this country their home, that is what this country was built on and that is what MOST Canadians want, immigration not people here temporarily or trying to immigrate through the back door bumping people who do it legitimately. Please don't pretend you understand what is going on as you obviously don't. And don't post about how this is a racist issue as that has nothing to do with it. Tired about reading you rants. We are not obligated to offer you a job at all, the obligation of this country is it;s citizens first.
Oh, so now you're trying to justify nationalism. Here's what's wrong with nationalism. It encourages people to look down on people from other countries as inferior, which is exactly what a lot of these anti-immigrant hate groups are doing. I see the comments on those news articles and on internet forums that keep referring to us as poor, third-world, trashy, contemptible people. They're just using the argument of the TFW program flaws as a lame excuse justification for it.

Oh, and if you're referring to my comment about how some employers were rude to me when I applied for their jobs, I still say that they're in the dead wrong for being so rude. All they have to do is say no and politely decline. But no, they go on these unnecessary hate-filled rants against us "filthy overseas imports". You'd be surprised at what some employers say to overseas applicants who can't speak out against them and put them to shame. Frankly, I don't even WANT to work for such people and I'm glad that they revealed this ugly side of themselves now rather than later. I don't want to end up working for them. They can keep their damn job and employ some other unfortunate soul.

So you're pro-immigration, huh? Define "legitimate immigration". As far as I know, the provincial nomination programs allow us to legitimately immigrate after serving a few months or years as a TFW. How is that any less legitimate than other immigration methods? People also tend to stay in the places that nominate them and there haven't been any major problems with people taking their PR and running off to other places. But no, apparently you don't even want that despite the fact that it's still legitimate immigration that brings new hardworking people into Canada to contribute to society. All I ever wanted to do was immigrate and become a productive member of a society that seemed to be great and filled with nice, friendly, socially progressive people. But a combination of these rude, borderline racist employers from my job search and people posting these same kind of comments on the internet are really giving Canada a bad, unwelcoming image. I mean, where do you people even get off calling us filthy third-world imports (like we're disposable objects) just because we were born elsewhere? Sorry, but being born in Canada does not make you inherently better than us.