+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bachelor of Law (LLB) ECA

menazs

Oct 2, 2020
Hi all,

I got my ECA report and WES recognized my LLB degree as First professional degree. I submitted transcripts of my B.com (3 yrs), LLB (3 years) and ICSI.

Thank you.
Hi,

Can you confirm your university? Would they give First Professional Degree without ICSI as well?

Also is there any difference in Professional Degree and First Professional Degree?

S_Deshpande

Oct 19, 2020
Yes, the only thing I did was to write a letter to explain that "Bachelor of Law" is considered a Professional Degree even though the report shows only 4 years degree.
This was my experience, but if you feel more comfortable you can look for a professional to help you with this.
You're welcome!
Hello,

Did you write it to them on Email? If so, could you kindly share the email id for sending it?
Alternatively, if you posted your letter on a physical address, coul you kindly share tht address.

Thanks a lot

S_Deshpande

Oct 19, 2020
I can't say about him but I am in a simikar boat too.
I did B.A,LL.B (5 years integrated) and was given a dual bachelors (4 years) evaluation by WES.
It freaked me out originally because I expected my ECA to give me a 'professional degree' evaluation. So, what i did intialy was that i while applying through EE, i mentioned both my B.A, and LL.B as separate degrees (i.e both as bachelors). And though i made though eligibility, my CRS was lowered by 8 points.
Then i did some research and realised that a dual bachelors evaluation by WES doesn't imply that you have two degrees. So, that put me in another fix, because the EE profile doesn't give you an option to fill dual bachelors (unless you put them separately, which is not proper).

So, I did some more research and found out this.
No matter what WES evaluation says, if it gives you an assessment of Bachelors in Law, it will be considered as a professional degree. Thereby implying that it is not up to WES to give you a professional competency. It's up to CIC.
Also, WES is just an advisory body. There decisions are not binding on CIC.

And there by, I amended my education history section accordingly. I removed the two bachelor degrees and in their place just added LAW as a professional degree.

(I am currently waiting for the ITA, and most probably will get that in the next draw, my CRS post revision being 453.)

As a corroboration to what i said, I am attaching a link to the CIC chart which compares with ECA wordings with what they actual mean for CIC. (Just write bachelor of laws in filtering and you ll see what i mean.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/education-assessed/read-report.html

I hope that would clear the doubt in your mind.

Though i must agree, the lack of clarity on this matter is really annoying.

P.S - Once you receive ITA and start submitting documents, don't forget to write a simple letter of explanation, explaining the entire situation and why you have entered your law degree as professional (cite reason as the CIC chart.)
Hello,

Is the 'Letter of Explanation' to be sent via Email? If so, could you kindly share the email id for sending it?
Alternatively, if you posted your letter on a physical address, could you kindly share that address.

Thanks a lot

bagdwal88

Sep 23, 2019
Hey guys,
Just to let everyone know, that my degree has been assessed as 'First Professional Degree' (which is equivalent as masters). I had B.A.LL.B(H). It was an integrated course for 5 years from IP University.
So, good luck to everyone.
hey just a quick question I too have done my 5 years law from IP university and when I had sent my degree for evaluation I got my result as "equivalent to bachelor's degrees (4 years)", would you be kind enough to please get in touch with me coz that the only thing that

my number is 8800608886

bagdwal88

Sep 23, 2019
I can't say about him but I am in a simikar boat too.
I did B.A,LL.B (5 years integrated) and was given a dual bachelors (4 years) evaluation by WES.
It freaked me out originally because I expected my ECA to give me a 'professional degree' evaluation. So, what i did intialy was that i while applying through EE, i mentioned both my B.A, and LL.B as separate degrees (i.e both as bachelors). And though i made though eligibility, my CRS was lowered by 8 points.
Then i did some research and realised that a dual bachelors evaluation by WES doesn't imply that you have two degrees. So, that put me in another fix, because the EE profile doesn't give you an option to fill dual bachelors (unless you put them separately, which is not proper).

So, I did some more research and found out this.
No matter what WES evaluation says, if it gives you an assessment of Bachelors in Law, it will be considered as a professional degree. Thereby implying that it is not up to WES to give you a professional competency. It's up to CIC.
Also, WES is just an advisory body. There decisions are not binding on CIC.

And there by, I amended my education history section accordingly. I removed the two bachelor degrees and in their place just added LAW as a professional degree.

(I am currently waiting for the ITA, and most probably will get that in the next draw, my CRS post revision being 453.)

As a corroboration to what i said, I am attaching a link to the CIC chart which compares with ECA wordings with what they actual mean for CIC. (Just write bachelor of laws in filtering and you ll see what i mean.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/education-assessed/read-report.html

I hope that would clear the doubt in your mind.

Though i must agree, the lack of clarity on this matter is really annoying.

P.S - Once you receive ITA and start submitting documents, don't forget to write a simple letter of explanation, explaining the entire situation and why you have entered your law degree as professional (cite reason as the CIC chart.)
hi i read you detailed comment, thank you so much for your elaborate reply... as it can be seen from the date it was posted you had filed last year so i guess by now the situation would be clear as to what CIC decided to do after yo had self assessed it as a professional degree inspite of WES evaluating it as bachelors degree 4 years, because i am sailing n the same boat and now the trouble is IQAS is no loner accepting fresh applications so i wanted to go ahead wit my WES evaluation only and was trying to take the route that you took....

i would really appreciate if you could just take out the time and let me know the outcome as it would have a direct bearing on my result as well to because i have an identical situation as you, the two minutes taken out of your time would greatly help me out

you could reach me on either whats app 8800608886 or my email bagdawlhimanshu@gmail.com

thank you !

MDN

Aug 18, 2020
Hi,

Can you confirm your university? Would they give First Professional Degree without ICSI as well?

Also is there any difference in Professional Degree and First Professional Degree?
I did my LLB from Osmania University. No they don't consider ICSI as professional degree but a bachelors degree.

MDN

Aug 18, 2020
Hi, I have the following educational credentials:
B.Com (3 Yrs) from Mumbai University
L.L.B (3 Yrs) from Mumbai University

Which ECA should I apply for to get a Master's Equivalency/ Professional Degree Equivalency? WES or IQAS? Please suggest in case of any other ECA website.

Note: In Covid 19 scenario, which would be a faster ECA?

Hoping for responses and your help.
get both assessed. WES takes 35 days for the report. I got it early than expected.

Chetan b

Dec 12, 2020
hi,
I have tried many times to apply ECA for immigration at IQAS but they always show that the daily limits of application exceed even at the opening time of the portal that is 8:15 am mountain time. I want to access my LLB degree and I obtained it from Guru Nanak Dev University. kindly let me know these days whether IQAS is doing assessments or not.

Dec 20, 2020
Hi everyone - I have a similar situation and am stuck.... my wife's law degree has been evaluated as a Bachelors Degree by WES. My understanding from CiC is that it will be awarded the same points as a Masters, but there is no way of entering this on the profile, so when I submitted it we were awarded 412 points instead of the 451 we were expecting. There doesn't seem to be any way of 'flagging' in the express entry profile that it's a law degree (and so should be getting the same points as a Masters, despite the WES classification), so I don't really know what to do. Feels like there's no way forward with it, unfortunately.

Dec 20, 2020
Hi everyone - I have a similar situation and am stuck.... my wife's law degree has been evaluated as a Bachelors Degree by WES. My understanding from CiC is that it will be awarded the same points as a Masters, but there is no way of entering this on the profile, so when I submitted it we were awarded 412 points instead of the 451 we were expecting. There doesn't seem to be any way of 'flagging' in the express entry profile that it's a law degree (and so should be getting the same points as a Masters, despite the WES classification), so I don't really know what to do. Feels like there's no way forward with it, unfortunately.
Hi dear
WAS YOUR LLB CONSIDER MASTER OR BACHELORS

Dec 21, 2020
Yes, absolutely I agree with you! The message I got is from CIC's official facebook page and what's said by them is accurate or not but definitely, it doesn't make sense. I am going to go ahead with my application and I am going to furnish them with screenshots of my question and CIC's response as evidence. Fingers crossed for the outcome!
Did this work? I am presently in the middle of making the WES vs IQAS decision. Your experience would help clearing my doubts. Thanks in advance.

Singh_ig

Jan 21, 2021
Hi,

I have been trying to assess from where should I get by ECA done, for 3 years Bachelor of Law (LLB) from India.

Does WES give the correct assessment ? Or should I go for IQAS?
Bro , I also have LLB 3 years . Help me out please. I don't know what would my ECA be and how would CIC view my LLB 3 year ( Punjabi University Patiala)

Dec 21, 2020
Bro , I also have LLB 3 years . Help me out please. I don't know what would my ECA be and how would CIC view my LLB 3 year ( Punjabi University Patiala)
Bhai I went with WES. Got an email this morning. They've given me a "First Professional Degree" equivalency for my 3 year LL.B. from CLC (Law Fac.). I don't know how or why they choose to give some people a professional equivalency and others a bachelors. Just luck I guess.
I had written to the IRCC Minister for clarity on the issue. Got the following response:
Dear *&^*&^*&^*&^:
Thank you for your correspondence of December 21, 2020, addressed to the Honourable Marco E.L. Mendicino, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, regarding the assessment of foreign credentials for immigration purposes.
I appreciate you sharing the circumstances that prompted you to write. In order to receive points under the Express Entry category, applicants must undergo an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) from an organization designated by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to verify that the foreign degree, diploma, certificate or other credential they obtained outside Canada is valid and equal to a completed credential in Canada for the purpose of immigrating to Canada. A list of the organizationsclients can use to obtain an ECA can be found on the IRCC Website.
Please note that Employment and Social Development Canada has overall leadership regarding foreign qualification recognition. Moreover, designated credential assessment agencies, such as International Qualifications Assessment Service and World Education Services, are independent from IRCC. As such, IRCC is unable to intervene in their assessments.
While I understand that this may not be the response you had anticipated, I hope that you will find this information to be helpful.

Sincerely,
F. Macmillan
Ministerial Enquiries Division

[emphasis is supplied by me]

I had also written to WES. Same fate.

IQAS is pretty much undoable right now because of the daily limit.

So here is my 100% successful SOP for every person who wants to apply to WES:
1. Apply to WES.
2. Go to your choice of religious institution.
3. Pray.

Reactions: m&s