+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bachelor of Law (LLB) ECA

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hello. CIC is currently giving me a headache. I have an LLB which was assessed by ICES as a 4 year bachelors degree. I recorded it as a professional degree in line the education comparison chart. Ordered my GCMS Notes and got them today. What do I see? Eligibility not met as my CRS score was recalculated with a 4 year bachelors degree instead of a professional degree. Case Processing Agent at CIO recommended my application for refusal. Don’t know what to do. And I know lots of people who have gotten PR with their LLB assessed as a 4 year bachelors degree. Any advise on what to do?
Send them a request to reopen your case via the webform. Quote this page

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/education-assessed/read-report.html

And point out that a Bachelor of Laws (LLb) is expressly stated to be a professional degree with 126/135 points. Send a screenshot of this page + a screenshot of your ECA that states you have a LLb.

The processing agent has made an error (as long as your ECA states that you have a Bachelor of Laws).

Also, if you are registered with any Bar Council in your country or state, send a copy of that credential as well.

Dee9191

May 17, 2019
Send them a request to reopen your case via the webform. Quote this page

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/education-assessed/read-report.html

And point out that a Bachelor of Laws (LLb) is expressly stated to be a professional degree with 126/135 points. Send a screenshot of this page + a screenshot of your ECA that states you have a LLb.

The processing agent has made an error (as long as your ECA states that you have a Bachelor of Laws).

Also, if you are registered with any Bar Council in your country or state, send a copy of that credential as well.
Thank you so much for this advise! I’ll act on it. Do you know anyone who has been in a similar situation but still got PR?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thank you so much for this advise! I’ll act on it. Do you know anyone who has been in a similar situation but still got PR?
Not precisely this situation, but I know of many people who have received 126/135 points for an LL.b. I went to a five year law school in India myself, so I know plenty of lawyers :)

Reactions: Dee9191

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Here's the text from the IRCC page when you click on

Professional degrees for licensed professions

This is also known as First professional degree or Entry-to-practice professional degree.

For Express Entry, only degrees in these fields can earn equal points to a Master’s degree:

• medicine
  • veterinary medicine
  • dentistry
  • podiatry
  • optometry
  • law
  • chiropractic medicine
  • pharmacy

For example, a 4-year nursing degree is not considered a first professional degree. It would earn you the same number of points as a Bachelor’s degree.

Dee9191

May 17, 2019
Exactly! Why the agent assessed mine otherwise is beyond me. I pray this gets fixed soon. Thank you for the advise.

Apr 28, 2019
Exactly! Why the agent assessed mine otherwise is beyond me. I pray this gets fixed soon. Thank you for the advise.
So what I have noticed in your post, and this is also something I was confused about, your WES result showed a 'Bachelor's Degree 4 Years', and not a 'Bachelor of Laws'. I understand one scores points for a professional degree if WES's Canadian equivalency result is 'Bachelor in Laws', not 'Bachelors' Degree 4 years'.

I am in the same position, have a Bachelors Degree 4 years from WES. However, I am in the process of applying for IQAS. Maybe that's what you need to consider to do.

Not_Your_Donkey_Kong

Apr 19, 2019
Category........
FSW
One of my friends faced a similar situation. His application was all set for rejection. The VO asked him for a final explanation and he just did that. He explained in detail as to why his degree was indeed a Bachelor of Laws degree, and how IQAS evaluates the same degree as a professional degree. He explained how the problem lay with WES and that even a 4 years Bachelors'degree at the very least implies that the bachelors' is in something right? So, he just made it clear. And he was cleared through.

However, I must say that it all rests on how good your VO is satisfied. If he still disagrees, well, bad luck.

Dee9191

May 17, 2019
One of my friends faced a similar situation. His application was all set for rejection. The VO asked him for a final explanation and he just did that. He explained in detail as to why his degree was indeed a Bachelor of Laws degree, and how IQAS evaluates the same degree as a professional degree. He explained how the problem lay with WES and that even a 4 years Bachelors'degree at the very least implies that the bachelors' is in something right? So, he just made it clear. And he was cleared through.

However, I must say that it all rests on how good your VO is satisfied. If he still disagrees, well, bad luck.
Oh this is great news. Thanks for the encouragement! Wish me luck.

Dee9191

May 17, 2019
So what I have noticed in your post, and this is also something I was confused about, your WES result showed a 'Bachelor's Degree 4 Years', and not a 'Bachelor of Laws'. I understand one scores points for a professional degree if WES's Canadian equivalency result is 'Bachelor in Laws', not 'Bachelors' Degree 4 years'.

I am in the same position, have a Bachelors Degree 4 years from WES. However, I am in the process of applying for IQAS. Maybe that's what you need to consider to do.
No not really. Points for professional degree has been given to LLB holders whose ECA reads exactly 4 year bachelors degree. The credential part says ‘Bachelor of Laws’ but the Canadian equivalency says ‘4 year bachelors degree ‘.

But if you haven’t applied for PR yet, best you use IQAS and save yourself the trouble.

Not_Your_Donkey_Kong

Apr 19, 2019
Category........
FSW
How is that possible? Don't you have two degrees? I mean you must have done a regular bachelor's before your llb? At best they could have deducted just 8 points out of your CRS since you d still be eligible for two or more certificates category.