+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for a Start-Up Visa directly?

Startup_Visa

Star Member
Sep 30, 2019
As @teejax rightly said, "Foreign Worker - International Mobility Program" option is only available to citizens of certain countries. Try changing your country of Citizenship to US or any major EU country and enter everything else same as you were doing before, you will then get "Foreign Worker - International Mobility Program" option to apply.

Obviously, I am not saying apply with the wrong Citizenship information. This was just to test what factors are impacting the options to apply for "Foreign Worker - International Mobility Program".

Hope this helps other and they don't waste too much time and efforts like a lot of us did trying to figure out why we were not seeing the "Foreign Worker - International Mobility Program" as an option to apply for SUV Work Permit.

Reactions: amin2020

amin2020

Aug 2, 2020
So I should proceed with a normal work permit? or apply using a paper application? I spent almost three days to figure out the right way without any success. @Startup_Visa

GeminusWho

Aug 18, 2020
THANKS. The Angel's lawyer says that due to the high rejection of incubator related cases, its better proceed with us. She also will incorporate a 300 pages due diligence in the documents that give officee and increase the possibility of PR acceptance. I'm so hesitant to choose the best. Unfortunately, there is a black market o letter of supports so that a huge amount of disqualified guys apply through incubator path spending around 100K to obtain PR by being added to startups, she says.
Experience founder here. I've been lurking this forum and also examining the SUV process for a while, so kindly tolerate my ignorance when call this bullshit. I hope this does not come from KF. Most of the designated angels are in this to make money, in the worse way compared to designated VCs. But why do they do this, most foreign founders have the lowest probability to excel in Canadian market, except US based startups. What have been working to generate MRR for a startup based in India, may not translate well when they apply that same model to Canada, and vice versa. I've lived the best decade of my youth in the States and from my experience, very few of my international peers, including foreign Ivy grads and AAs could compete fully within American capitalism society.

Back to your question, I believe the process will get harder over time due to vague language of requirement. While designated orgs won't give 2shit after having your money and issuing the LOS, IRCC can do more audit based on the after-landing process; probably after PR. The focus remains your startup business and operation cost. I always think about my burn rate after their solicitation, and how much they plan to squeeze us after (there can be so much hidden fees if you don't read between the lines). Do you know that these Angels can hire a consulting firm and simply pay their way to acquire the license from NACO? You'd better off looking at their deal flow to guess their organization's purpose.

ARMAH

Star Member
Aug 28, 2020
You are right but unfortunately our applications were refused because of the officer was not satisfied that we will come back after visa time. These days this reason is copy and pasted ;(

Sep 11, 2020
Hi,
I m doctor in my country, can I apply business immigration visa by changing my profession ? Can I open grocery store , lodge or any other buisness which I m not doing here.

shirdel87

Jun 13, 2020
Experience founder here. I've been lurking this forum and also examining the SUV process for a while, so kindly tolerate my ignorance when call this bullshit. I hope this does not come from KF. Most of the designated angels are in this to make money, in the worse way compared to designated VCs. But why do they do this, most foreign founders have the lowest probability to excel in Canadian market, except US based startups. What have been working to generate MRR for a startup based in India, may not translate well when they apply that same model to Canada, and vice versa. I've lived the best decade of my youth in the States and from my experience, very few of my international peers, including foreign Ivy grads and AAs could compete fully within American capitalism society.

Back to your question, I believe the process will get harder over time due to vague language of requirement. While designated orgs won't give 2shit after having your money and issuing the LOS, IRCC can do more audit based on the after-landing process; probably after PR. The focus remains your startup business and operation cost. I always think about my burn rate after their solicitation, and how much they plan to squeeze us after (there can be so much hidden fees if you don't read between the lines). Do you know that these Angels can hire a consulting firm and simply pay their way to acquire the license from NACO? You'd better off looking at their deal flow to guess their organization's purpose.
That's correct. KF is the Angel. Do you have any unnerving experience?

teejax

Aug 2, 2019
Hi,
I m doctor in my country, can I apply business immigration visa by changing my profession ? Can I open grocery store , lodge or any other buisness which I m not doing here.
Start-up Visa is mainly for tech businesses or tech enabled businesses.

You can consider the Self Employment path.

SSP13

Oct 29, 2020

Hello,
Based on your experience,what is the aceeptable percentage that the investors geneally ask for.
Thanks for your input

sadi21

Nov 7, 2017
My business idea is accepted by a Canadian incubator. They mentioned that I have to pay the incubator fee until I get PR approved (12 to 16 months). Due to covid-19 it is now taking 28 months for PR approval.
Should i continue incubator program for 28 months? or i can stop after 16 months?

Thanks

itsmelee

Jan 26, 2016
My business idea is accepted by a Canadian incubator. They mentioned that I have to pay the incubator fee until I get PR approved (12 to 16 months). Due to covid-19 it is now taking 28 months for PR approval.
Should i continue incubator program for 28 months? or i can stop after 16 months?

Thanks
I'd be very surprised if your incubator program lasts anywhere close to 16 months.

Most are 3-6 months, max.

Generally, you go through the incubator program to get the Letter of Support, file your PR app, get some training and/or office space (probably moot in today's environment) and then you're on your own.

sadi21

Nov 7, 2017
I'd be very surprised if your incubator program lasts anywhere close to 16 months.

Most are 3-6 months, max.

Generally, you go through the incubator program to get the Letter of Support, file your PR app, get some training and/or office space (probably moot in today's environment) and then you're on your own.
So what i understand is that i have to file my PR application before LOS expires and that's it. I don't need to pay incubator's fee after filing PR application. Right?