+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lets Talk About Start-Up Visa

daddymayan

Jul 16, 2018
hey guys, i was searching info about start-up visa but i just cannot seems to find enough info, lets start a mega thread about start-up visa here,

i have few questions to start with,

so they say our business need some traction to get approved by investors, so then this will be an exiting company right, registered in your home country, so then it will be not a proper start-up , it will be moving my exiting business to canada, is that right?

2nd, am i allowed to invest my money? i would like to put some of my own money to the deal , i dont want 100% funding from investors, i think if i invest some of my own money too it might be easier to get funding from investors,

3rd i read somewhere that minimum investment requirement from investors does not apply if i get accepted to an incubator, is this old info?

right now as i understand, we need investment from angels or venture capitals, and u must also get accepted to an incubator programme,

plz share all the info u have regarding start-up visa with us, good luck all

Mauchan

Star Member
Dec 2, 2017
1) Yes, if your business proposal is approved, you need to incorporate your business in Canada. This can be done after you receive permanent residency.

2) Yes, you can invest your own money - and you should!

3) Correct, an investment is not required when accepted into an incubator. But some incubators will take a share of your company without investment, others will not.

4) Not all three need to happen. You can either accept investment from an Angel investor(s), VC, or a combination of both - also known as syndication. Or you can convince an incubator to accept you into their program.

The term sheet or client document will outline all the details of the business relationship. The term sheet is sent along with a commitment certificate (which has additional details) by the designated investor/incubator to the IRCC.

Last edited:

daddymayan

Jul 16, 2018
1) Yes, if your business proposal is approved, you need to incorporate your business in Canada. This can be done after you receive permanent residency.

2) Yes, you can invest your own money - and you should!

3) Correct, investment is not required when accepted into an incubator. But some incubators will take a share of your company without investment, others will not.

4) Not all three need to happen. You can either accept investment from an Angel investor(s), VC, or a combination of both. Or you can convince an incubator to accept you into their program.

The term sheet or client document will outline all the details of the business relationship. The term sheet is sent along with a commitment certificate (which has additional details) to IRCC.
thanks a lot mauchan u helped for lot i've been looking for this answer for weeks,

cic website confused me, if u read here,

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/start-visa/eligibility/designated-organizations.html

they say, i need 200k from venture capital's or 70k from angels, and then they say,

"You must also be accepted into one of these programs:"(incubators)

so after reading this i thought i need both, funding + incubator,

thanks again,

Reactions: Mauchan