+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for an open work permit under a public policy (PGWP extension)

lostinquebec

Feb 8, 2019
Hello
If a student's PGWP expired in June 2020. She applied for extension which was refused. Then applied for restoration and visitor visa within Canada which was approved. Can she now apply to extend PGWP under this policy?
Yes in that case she could since she restored her temporary resident status, which is one of the requirements.

Malibu25

Star Member
Apr 14, 2021
Hi, guys. Badly need some help, please. This is with regards to the question about the educational background for PR apply application.
Below is the question in the applicaton

4) What is your level of education?
Enter the highest level of education for which you:
  • earned a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate or
  • had an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) if you did your study outside Canada. (ECAs must be from an approved agency, in the last five years)

My question is, what if I studied and graduated here in Canada, also have an ECA. What should I use in answering this portion? Please help. Thank you.

MatEst

Star Member
Jan 23, 2021
I got refused today and these my refused letter below, and I got resubmitted again because I choose something wrong on IMM5710e.
I check with my friend that he got approved. I choose the different thing for him like;

I change from "apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer" to "apply for a work permit with the same employer", and
PGWP to Open work permit"

and added letter specified "I am applying for an Open work permit under new policy"

This letter refers to your application for a Post-Graduate Work Permit.

Based on your application and accompanying documentation that you have provided, I have carefully considered all information and I am not satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. Your application as requested is therefore refused.

Foreign students in Canada are eligible for a work permit for post-graduation employment on a one-time confirmation exemption that cannot be used again following the completion of any subsequent courses of study. You were formerly issued a work permit for post-graduation employment in 25JUN2018 and as such you are not eligible for another work permit in this category.
Thanks for this

Optimux

Jan 4, 2019
Santo Domingo
Hi everyone,

My wife got a PGWP in 11/2020 and I went to the border to do flagpoling in order to renew my spouse's OWP in Feb/2021. The problem is that she went to do flagpoling with me in so technically she went out of Canada even though she did not go to a different country and the Public Policy OWP states in one the requirements that:

"You were in Canada as of January 27, 2021, when the public policy took effect, and have stayed in Canada since then."

We did not know about this option to get an OWP before doing that silly trip to the border. So, I would say she is not eligible for this OWP if we see it in black and white.

Having said that, she will apply anyway and include an explanation for this flagpoling thing but, given that flagpoling could be a known process by IRCC and in practical terms is not leaving the country although technically one might say it is, would you say this is open to interpretation by IRCC? What would you say are her odds of getting it?

Micheal737373

Star Member
Aug 18, 2020
Hello guys, please has anyone applied for and choose work for same employer gotten approval. I am applying but already have a PNP application in process. My PGWP expires next month

MatEst

Star Member
Jan 23, 2021
Hello guys, I’m applying for an open work permit under the new policy. After answering the questioner, I received my my document checklist. Are we expected to upload proof of upfront medical exam? And is the correct form the IMM5710? I wanna confirm that I’m actually filling out the right application form and that our upfront medical results is actually required??

I read someone’s list of documents in this forum and they did not mentionthat they submitted their upfront medicals.

MatEst

Star Member
Jan 23, 2021
Work permit expired on September 29,2020. Applied for PGWP under new Public policy on March 13,2021 with restoration. Got approved on April 13,2021 valid until October 13,2022. Waiting for the document to come in mail.

Good luck to those who are waiting!!
Hello, congratulations on your approval! Pls I have a few questions about the application for you and anyone who cares to help out
•Did you submit an upfront medical results?
•And on the IMM form where it says fill in your “details of intended work’, did you put in your current job/occupation and the name/address of your current employer?
•Lastly, in the part where it says provide all the details of your employment dating back to 10years, did you attach a separate document with list of employment? Or you only filled out the spaces was provided on the form a Submitted that way? They only provided 3 spaces. But. I’ve had up to 6 employers in the last 10 years including schooling.

I appreciate your responses. Thanks guys

ROYASH

Mar 25, 2021
i applied for PGWP extension on april 14th 2021. i have submitted all the required documents. i got letter from IRCC on april 15 2021 that i can keep working until aug 12 2021 or until final decision made. its already more than 50 days, why i am not receiving any final decision yet.

anyone here in the same situation?

ankv93

Mar 9, 2021
Hello, congratulations on your approval! Pls I have a few questions about the application for you and anyone who cares to help out
•Did you submit an upfront medical results?
•And on the IMM form where it says fill in your “details of intended work’, did you put in your current job/occupation and the name/address of your current employer?
•Lastly, in the part where it says provide all the details of your employment dating back to 10years, did you attach a separate document with list of employment? Or you only filled out the spaces was provided on the form a Submitted that way? They only provided 3 spaces. But. I’ve had up to 6 employers in the last 10 years including schooling.

I appreciate your responses. Thanks guys
1. There is no upfront medical required for anyone who is applying within Canada as far as I know.
2. I just put N/A applying for Open work permit under new public policy because you cannot continue to work once your permit will expire and you have to get a new open work permit which allows you to work for any (new) employer.
3.I just filled only those 3 spaces but if you choose to attach a separate document stating your employment for last 10 years you can do that.

Reactions: MatEst

MatEst

Star Member
Jan 23, 2021
1. There is no upfront medical required for anyone who is applying within Canada as far as I know.
2. I just put N/A applying for Open work permit under new public policy because you cannot continue to work once your permit will expire and you have to get a new open work permit which allows you to work for any (new) employer.
3.I just filled only those 3 spaces but if you choose to attach a separate document stating your employment for last 10 years you can do that.
Thanks for your response, i appreciate
But On my document checklist, one of the documents asks to attach a proof of medicals? Does that mean I didn’t answer the questions correctly?

J_ames

Mar 24, 2021
My PGWP Public Policy

Applied "ONLINE"
Passport valid thru 2026.

Applied : June 06, 2021
Update : June 07, 2021 (Temp-EXT until Oct 04, 2021)

Psyched2107

Jun 7, 2021
My PGWP expires on august 12, 2021

May 15th - submitted PGWP extension application.

May 16th - I received an automated response for extension until September 11, 2021

June 4th - Profile was auto updated on - saying they were reviewing my eligibility

June 7th - PGWP extension approved!

Now I'm just waiting for the physical copy :D YAY!!

MatEst

Star Member
Jan 23, 2021
My PGWP expires on august 12, 2021

May 15th - submitted PGWP extension application.

May 16th - I received an automated response for extension until September 11, 2021

June 4th - Profile was auto updated on - saying they were reviewing my eligibility

June 7th - PGWP extension approved!

Now I'm just waiting for the physical copy :D YAY!!
Congratulations

did you chose ‘open work permit’ in your form
And ‘applying for an open work permit unde a new employee’?

Jun 13, 2021
i applied for PGWP extension on april 14th 2021. i have submitted all the required documents. i got letter from IRCC on april 15 2021 that i can keep working until aug 12 2021 or until final decision made. its already more than 50 days, why i am not receiving any final decision yet.

anyone here in the same situation?
Hi ROYASH, Just wanted to check if you have received any update on your status . I am in similar situation so just trying to figure out what are the timelines ..Please let me know .. Thanks !!