+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for an open work permit under a public policy (PGWP extension)

Oliv

Jun 18, 2021
My PGWP expires on august 12, 2021

May 15th - submitted PGWP extension application.

May 16th - I received an automated response for extension until September 11, 2021

June 4th - Profile was auto updated on - saying they were reviewing my eligibility

June 7th - PGWP extension approved!

Now I'm just waiting for the physical copy :D YAY!!
Congratulations!!!! How long was your first PGWP for and how many months did you get now?

Oliv

Jun 18, 2021
Hey all! If you got approved for the extension, would you mind telling me how long was your initial PGWP for and if you got the full 18 months extension?
Thanks!!!

chetan9red

Apr 3, 2016
My PGWP expires on august 12, 2021

May 15th - submitted PGWP extension application.

May 16th - I received an automated response for extension until September 11, 2021

June 4th - Profile was auto updated on - saying they were reviewing my eligibility

June 7th - PGWP extension approved!

Now I'm just waiting for the physical copy :D YAY!!
Congratulations do you know how much time it took to get the physical copy of the work permit. I applied on 25th may and approved on June 25th.

chetan9red

Apr 3, 2016
Hey all! If you got approved for the extension, would you mind telling me how long was your initial PGWP for and if you got the full 18 months extension?
Thanks!!!
Hi I had 3 years PGWP expiring on July 2021. I applied on May 25th for new 18 month work permit and got approved on 25th June. I got full 18 month work permit expiring on December 2022 now.

MedinJune

Star Member
Jan 14, 2021
Hi,

Could you guys clarify something for me?

"Due to COVID-19, you may be eligible to apply for a one-time open work permit of up to 18 months if you apply online by July 27, 2021.
Who can apply
To be eligible for this open work permit, you must meet the following 5 requirements:
  1. Your post-graduation work permit (PGWP)
    1. expired on or after January 30, 2020, or
    2. will expire within 4 months from the date you apply for this open work permit."

So my friend's PGWP permit expires on December 19th 2021, Is she eligible to apply ?
PGWP expiring on or after Jan 30, 2020 can apply. so technically she is eligible, right?

Last edited:

threwaway

Jun 17, 2021
Hi,

Could you guys clarify something for me?

"Due to COVID-19, you may be eligible to apply for a one-time open work permit of up to 18 months if you apply online by July 27, 2021.
Who can apply
To be eligible for this open work permit, you must meet the following 5 requirements:
  1. Your post-graduation work permit (PGWP)
    1. expired on or after January 30, 2020, or
    2. will expire within 4 months from the date you apply for this open work permit."

So my friend's PGWP permit expires on December 19th 2021, Is she eligible to apply ?
PGWP expiring on or after Jan 30, 2020 can apply. so technically she is eligible, right?
On the date you apply, either PGWP should have been expired already or will expire within 4 months of it. So, if you apply on July 27 (which is the last date to apply for this), the PGWP must have been expired before July 27 or must be expiring before November 27, 2021. So your friend is not eligible under this public policy from my understanding.

MatEst

Star Member
Jan 23, 2021
On the date you apply, either PGWP should have been expired already or will expire within 4 months of it. So, if you apply on July 27 (which is the last date to apply for this), the PGWP must have been expired before July 27 or must be expiring before November 27, 2021. So your friend is not eligible under this public policy from my understanding.
Hello @threwaway.. please clarify for me when I need to apply?
my PGWP expires on November 26th. Which is exactly on the 4months.1day mark after the public policy closes on July 27th.
my question is: Can I apply on July 26th will I be eligible?. Or do I have to wait 1 day - July 27, to apply??
I’m confused as to what they mean by apply “by July 27th”. Because if they mean that the last day to apply is on July 26th (ie before midnight of the 27th) then I might not be eligible because of a 1 day difference.
I’m worried

Last edited:

threwaway

Jun 17, 2021
Hello @threwaway.. my PGWP expires on November 26th. Which is exactly on the 4months.1day mark after the public policy closes on July 27th.
my question is: So If I apply on July 26th will I be eligible?. Or do I have to wait until July 27, to apply??
I’m confused as to what they mean by apply “by July 27th” do they mean that the last day to apply is on July 27th? Or July 26th (ie before midnight) ??
If it’s the latter, then I might not be eligible because of a 1 day difference
I think you can apply on either July 26 or July 27 (because 4 months from July 26 is November 26 when your work permit expires). I would caution on the side of applying on July 27 early morning. But best to discuss with an IRCC agent.
It says that you can apply by July 27, so it would be July 27 GMT or UTC. But please confirm with an agent on exact time of the deadline.

Reactions: MatEst

monu030

Star Member
Sep 14, 2014
Hello Everyone
I applied open work permit under public policy on June 3.
Got approval on July 7.
Thanks
Congratulations!

Could you please share the following things with us to better understand our case:
  1. Initial Work Permit length?
  2. Any dependant?
  3. Affected by Covid in any way?
  4. When did your eligibility start?
I would highly appreciate it if you respond. Thanks