+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for an open work permit under a public policy (PGWP extension)

RoTaBl

Star Member
Sep 2, 2020
Who can apply
To be eligible for this open work permit, you must meet the following 5 requirements:
  1. Your post-graduation work permit (PGWP)
    1. expired on or after January 30, 2020, or
    2. will expire within 4 months from the date you apply for this open work permit.
  2. You were in Canada as of January 27, 2021, when the public policy took effect, and have stayed in Canada since then.
  3. You either
    1. have a temporary resident status (this could be from having a valid PGWP, visitor record, or another permit that allows you to stay in Canada), or
    2. lost your temporary resident status, but you’ve already applied to restore it, or
    3. lost your temporary resident status, but you’ll apply to restore it at the same time as applying for this open work permit
  4. You include in your application that you’re applying for an open work permit under this public policy.
  5. You have a valid passport.
    1. The work permit will be issued for up to 18 months from the date of approval or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. For example, if your passport is valid for 6 months, then you will be issued an open work permit for 6 months.
    2. To maximize the duration of the open work permit, make sure your passport is valid for at least 18 months from the date of approval.
Official announcement: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students/pgwp-extend.html

My question: Do I need to have a temporary resident status during the processing period of my application? (I don't think so. What do you think?)
This is because my current PGWP will expire very soon. After the submission of this new OWP application, I will have the implied status after my PGWP expires.
Am I over-analyzing requirement #3 now?

Reactions: jhunix

co2020

May 31, 2020
Who can apply
To be eligible for this open work permit, you must meet the following 5 requirements:
    2. will expire within 4 months from the date you apply for this open work permit.
  2. You were in Canada as of January 27, 2021, when the public policy took effect, and have stayed in Canada since then.
  3. You either
    1. have a temporary resident status (this could be from having a valid PGWP, visitor record, or another permit that allows you to stay in Canada), or
    2. lost your temporary resident status, but you’ve already applied to restore it, or
    3. lost your temporary resident status, but you’ll apply to restore it at the same time as applying for this open work permit
  4. You include in your application that you’re applying for an open work permit under this public policy.
    1. The work permit will be issued for up to 18 months from the date of approval or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. For example, if your passport is valid for 6 months, then you will be issued an open work permit for 6 months.
    2. To maximize the duration of the open work permit, make sure your passport is valid for at least 18 months from the date of approval.
Official announcement: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students/pgwp-extend.html

My question: Do I need to have a temporary resident status during the processing period of my application? (I don't think so. What do you think?)
This is because my current PGWP will expire very soon. After the submission of this new OWP application, I will have the implied status after my PGWP expires.
You have very much answered your question.
No, you do not need to have a temporary resident status during the processing period of your application. Because, as you have rightly mentioned, you will be on implied status. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/implied-status-extending-stay.html

Uravashi

Star Member
Jan 8, 2020
Who can apply
  3. You either

Any SOWP can apply for this?
OWP exipred and apply for restoration as visitor?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Kishan18

Star Member
Dec 2, 2020
Hello does anyone know the processing time for the work permit under the new policy?

Is it faster than the regular PGWP?
Can i get one in under a month?

co2020

May 31, 2020
Hello does anyone know the processing time for the work permit under the new policy?

Is it faster than the regular PGWP?
Can i get one in under a month?
I don't think its processing time will be different but People who applied this month have been getting PGWP recently under 10-20 days even though the official processing time is over 80 days. While those who applied last year are still waiting for a response. So the processing time isn't stable, you may or may not.

Kishan18

Star Member
Dec 2, 2020
I don't think its processing time will be different but People who applied this month have been getting PGWP recently under 10-20 days even though the official processing time is over 80 days. While those who applied last year are still waiting for a response. So the processing time isn't stable, you may or may not.
Do you personally know people who have received their OWP in only 10-20 days?

if so, i hope i can get one pretty soon

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So what's the meaning of 3rd point?
You have to meet ALL of the requirements. Not just the third point. This program is only open to those who previously held a PGWP.

Reactions: Ryne26

chpraveen52

Star Member
Jul 23, 2016
Do you personally know people who have received their OWP in only 10-20 days?

if so, i hope i can get one pretty soon
I heard one of my friend room mate he got approved with in 9 days after launching PGWP.
I looking for the information what about the new public policy for open work permit processing time... Please let know if any info available

Reactions: RoTaBl

AbhishekNene

May 20, 2020
Hello everyone
Any info on processing time?
Also if someone can post the timeline.
I submitted the application for OWP under new policy on Feb 3rd 2021
Please keep posting if anybody receives or knows something about the timeline.
Really wants to start work ASAP :)

Reactions: RoTaBl

Sasha01

Feb 3, 2021
Hello everyone
Any info on processing time?
Also if someone can post the timeline.
I submitted the application for OWP under new policy on Feb 3rd 2021
Please keep posting if anybody receives or knows something about the timeline.
Really wants to start work ASAP :)
Hi,

any update on your application?