+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application Stages + What They Mean (MEP, IP1, IP2, Ghost Update...) - Version 2019

Yasharnit

Star Member
Mar 4, 2019
The email you got on 15/03 signified your IP1 and the ghost update on 22/03 signified your IP2. Your next ghost update will mean your PPR is imminent.
Thanks
And have you any idea
Now after all this how much time to get ppr
Btw my visa office is CIO Sydney Nova Scotia

Tomifonication

Star Member
Jul 2, 2017
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Does anyone have any thoughts on my status?

ITA: 30/01/19
AOR: 26/02/2019
*Account says We are Processing...* = False IP2
MEP: 04/04/2019
BIO Request: 04/04/2019
* Email that account has been updated; nothing changed* 05/04/2019
BIO Submitted: 08/04/2019
BIO Confirmed: 09/04/2019
Ghost Update (no email): 15/04/2019

Stream:
CEC-Outland

derkdsou

Champion Member
Oct 3, 2018
This has all been covered in the main post of the thread, but I'll go over it here:
The email you received on 5/4 was your IP1.
The ghost update you had on 15/4 was your IP2.
Your next ghost update will signify that a PPR is imminent.

Does anyone have any thoughts on my status?

ITA: 30/01/19
AOR: 26/02/2019
*Account says We are Processing...* = False IP2
MEP: 04/04/2019
BIO Request: 04/04/2019
* Email that account has been updated; nothing changed* 05/04/2019
BIO Submitted: 08/04/2019
BIO Confirmed: 09/04/2019
Ghost Update (no email): 15/04/2019

Stream:
CEC-Outland

Tomifonication

Star Member
Jul 2, 2017
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
This has all been covered in the main post of the thread, but I'll go over it here:
The email you received on 5/4 was your IP1.
The ghost update you had on 15/4 was your IP2.
Your next ghost update will signify that a PPR is imminent.
Apologies, wasn't entirely sure, so thanks for the clarification. When you say "IP2" do you mean it's in progress, or rather it's completed?

derkdsou

Champion Member
Oct 3, 2018
An IP2 usually means that your eligibility (A11.2) and criminality have been marked passed and that your security is ongoing. Those are really the three main pillars of your application with eligibility being the trickiest, so it's only a matter of time before you have your PPR.

Apologies, wasn't entirely sure, so thanks for the clarification. When you say "IP2" do you mean it's in progress, or rather it's completed?

ayaz_acca

Sep 16, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-10-2018
Med's Done....
19-11-2018
An IP2 usually means that your eligibility (A11.2) and criminality have been marked passed and that your security is ongoing. Those are really the three main pillars of your application with eligibility being the trickiest, so it's only a matter of time before you have your PPR.
Thanks for such an informative thread and answering all queries.
My question is what does the check in background pillar??

Reactions: Amanjot7

Canadavisa92

Dec 21, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-02-2019
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
17-02-2019
IELTS Request
Upfront (uploaded with application)
Med's Request
Upfront (uploaded with application)
Med's Done....
08-04-2019
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
18/07/2019
VISA ISSUED...
27/07/2019
LANDED..........
21/11/2019
IRCC has introduced a number of changes in recent months and it is time to update our understanding of the post-AOR stages. I am simply building on the amazing work of @northern sunshine in developing an explanation of the various stages we can use - informally - to track the progress of our application. Huge thanks in particular to @USProgrammer who has posited the underlying trends and found evidence for them. In short, the traditional transition from IP1 to IP2 to ghost update to PPR still holds but in a modified way due to these changes.

From 31 Dec 2018, everyone except for Inland candidates has to provide their biometrics which means the default starting stage applicants will see for their Background Check is ‘IP2’ (“We are processing your background check…”), however, this is a ‘False IP2’, meaning an IP2 that has appeared before it is actually due as the application has not in fact progressed to the IP2 stage yet.

If you have an AOR of 31 Dec 2018 or later, follow the chart below to track your progress. Candidates will remain in a state of 'False IP2' throughout their application and only see a series of 'ghost updates' following their MEP; the first such ghost update (which should follow shortly after MEP) will signify your Real IP1, the second ghost update will signify your Real IP2, and the third will be your ‘Final’ Ghost Update, following which you are likely to receive your PPR.

If you have an AOR date of up to 30 Dec 2018
, the chart also applies to you if you meet one or more of these conditions: you are a CEC or PNP-Inland candidate, you were required to provide your biometrics or you did not pay your RPRF upfront.

Note for FSW-Outland candidates who have an AOR date of up to 30 Dec 2018: If you did not need to provide biometrics and paid your RPRF upfront, the old transition from NA1 all the way to a Final Ghost Update will still apply to you. Your Background Check should have started in NA1 ("Not Applicable" 1), meaning your Background Check status said "Not Applicable" right after you submitted your application.

General:
EE
- Express Entry: Canada's score-based program for economic immigrants
CRS - Comprehensive Ranking System: System for ranking candidates for EE
ITA - Invitation to Apply: an invitation to apply for permanent residence
e-APR - electronic Application for Permanent Residence: the online application for PR after receiving an ITA
RPRF - Right of Permanent Residence Fee: a fee collected as part of your PR application
AOR - Acknowledgement of Receipt (of application): email confirming receipt of your application after you submit and pay your fees
ADR - Additional Document Request: IRCC sends a message asking you to provide a specific document to supplement your application.

Post-submission stages:
False IP2
- Usually right from AOR or just after MEP. Background Check shows "We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.”
MEP - Medicals passed: review of medical results changes from "You do not need a medical exam." to "You have passed the medical exam." There is no email for MEP.
Ghost Update - When you log in, the application says it's been "updated" but none of the fields have changed. Once you logout and log back in, the application returns to being "submitted". Ghost updates are not announced by email and a candidate must check their profile daily to not miss them.
Ghost Update #1 or Real IP1 - "In progress" 1: Background Check changes to "Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start your background check." Usually follows MEP. Some applicants (especially Inland and CEC) skip this stage. You should receive an email for your Real IP1 - the email will not provide any details, just that your application has been updated.
NA2 - "Not Applicable" 2: Background Check changes to "Not Applicable" again after IP1. Some applicants skip this stage and it is easily missed. No email.
Ghost Update #2 or Real IP2 - "In progress" 2: Background Check changes to "We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information." No email.
NA3 - "Not Applicable" 3: Background Check changes to "Not Applicable" again after IP2 (uncommon).
Ghost Update #3 or Final Ghost Update - Often considered a sign that PPR is coming soon. Not seen by all applicants.
PPR - Passport request: IRCC sends "Ready for visa" e-mail asking you to submit your documents to your visa office so they can issue your CoPR and entry visa if applicable. A PPR is announced only by email, and there may be no changes made directly to the profile. If you are worried you might miss it, you can whitelist the email domain @cic.gc.ca to ensure the email comes straight to your inbox.
CoPR - Confirmation of Permanent Residence: A document that says you've been approved for permanent residence.

Other notes:
1. The ‘eligibility’ and ‘final decision’ fields in your profile will not change to passed until after you receive your CoPR. This is an example of what a profile may look like following a CoPR.
2. Remember that these are not "official" stages, but they are used frequently throughout the forum to track the processing of applications.

This is a combined effort of @northern sunshine, @USProgrammer and myself. Please share your feedback - it is likely we have missed a few things!
Thank you for this post. Any idea at which stage does the eligibility get checked?

yiso91

Aug 19, 2017
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
27-01-2019
Passport Req..
29-11-2019
@derkdsou Here is my timeline:

AOR 27th Jan
My only Ghost update was on the 11th March were I received an email. Logged in and I found that I passed Medical and that BIL have been also received.

My BG status have been '' We are processing your Background Check '' ever since. I have been checking my online account once everyday ever since and couldn't notice any Ghost updates ever since.

Am quite confused as where I do stand right now. I did notice that many of my fellow applicants whom have a similar Jan AOR have got at least two ghost updates by now.

What do you think of this case?

Primary VO: Ottawa
Secondary VO: Edmonton

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
@derkdsou Here is my timeline:

AOR 27th Jan
My only Ghost update was on the 11th March were I received an email. Logged in and I found that I passed Medical and that BIL have been also received.

My BG status have been '' We are processing your Background Check '' ever since. I have been checking my online account once everyday ever since and couldn't notice any Ghost updates ever since.

Am quite confused as where I do stand right now. I did notice that many of my fellow applicants whom have a similar Jan AOR have got at least two ghost updates by now.

What do you think of this case?

Primary VO: Ottawa
Secondary VO: Edmonton
This is why I tell everyone to ignore these so-called ghost updates, as they don't reflect true status of an application.
Applicants keep comparing their situation with others, and it creates confusion.

You have just passed medicals and received biometrics request, so your application is still at an early stage. You most probably passed R10, and your criminality is most likely underway already.

Other than that, not much else can be said with great confidence.

Forget about Casper. ;)

Reactions: Amanjot7

yiso91

Aug 19, 2017
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
27-01-2019
Passport Req..
29-11-2019
This is why I tell everyone to ignore these so-called ghost updates, as they don't reflect true status of an application.
Applicants keep comparing their situation with others, and it creates confusion.

You have just passed medicals and received biometrics request, so your application is still at an early stage. You most probably passed R10, and your criminality is most likely underway already.

Other than that, not much else can be said with great confidence.

Forget about Casper. ;)
If only Casper can be for real :D:D

Thanks for your feedback