+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

Wandering Mind

Champion Member
Mar 20, 2017
PART - 6

Post-Application Phase

You have now submitted your Citizenship application. If you paid close attention to the guide and prepared a killer application package - the chances of you getting your application back is very less to none.

The hard part begins now - Waiting! In this initial stage after submission, you'd have to wait for AOR.

What can you do while you wait?

It generally takes about 2 months from the date they receive the application for you to get a AOR. (This can vary slightly from person to person). While you wait for AOR (and for further steps after you receive AOR), you can do the following -
Routine vs Non-Routine Applications and Additional document requests

Your citizenship application could be processed in 2 different ways - Routine and Non-Routine.
What happens during application processing?

At the time of writing this post, the "official" processing time is 12 months. In reality, however - It ranges anywhere between 6 months to Forever. A sizable portion of the applications are processed between 6 - 9 months time.
The basic consensus of how a citizenship application might progress is explained below. This might vary slightly between applicants but this should give you a general idea. There is some speculation here and I am paraphrasing this from one of dpenabill's post and other posts in this forum.
  • CPC-Sydney issues an AOR after the completeness-checking the application package
  • A file is opened in GCMS (simultaneously).
  • The application is sent for background checks
    • Criminality checks are done by RCMP
    • Security checks are done by CSIS
    • GCMS checks are done by IRCC
  • CPC-Sydney might do some additional processing (?)
  • Application is forwarded to the local visa office for further processing
  • Local Visa Office (LVO) checks and verifies the authenticity of the information / documents in the application package
  • LVO sends Notice to appear for citizenship test and interview
  • LVO sends a Notice to appear for Citizenship Ceremony (Oath)
After the oath: Next Steps

You are officially a Canadian Citizen after you take the oath of citizenship.
  • Official sources state that you need to wait a minimum of 2 business days before you can apply for a Canadian Passport.
  • However, in reality, you can apply for a passport as soon as your ECAS status changes to 'Complete' and this can happen before 2 business days.
Closing notes

Canadian Citizenship is a privilege and not a right. Let's embrace it, respect it and let's never abuse it. NEVER lie on an immigration / citizenship application - It is not worth the consequences.

I hope that the mods make this a sticky thread for easy access. Let's further discuss about the nuances of this process and help each other in this beautiful journey of becoming a citizen of this great nation.

-rajkamalmohanram
Thanks for taking the time and effort to create this very helpful post @rajkamalmohanram

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

nourmandy2

May 11, 2019
Case Processing Centre-Sydney
49 Dorchester Street
Sydney, Nova Scotia
B1P 5Z2
Or
Case Processing Centre—Sydney
Citizenship Grants
47–49 Dorchester Street
Sydney, Nova Scotia B1P 5Z2

Aragorn165

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2016
Nomination.....
03-11-2015
AOR Received.
04-03-2016
Passport Req..
02-09-2016
@rajkamalmohanram Hello! I have a question - is a citizenship test always the last step in the process? I ask only because I always assumed it was, but I got my invitation to take it recently, and my online status tracker still only shows one step as completed right now.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
@rajkamalmohanram Hello! I have a question - is a citizenship test always the last step in the process? I ask only because I always assumed it was, but I got my invitation to take it recently, and my online status tracker still only shows one step as completed right now.
No, it isn't the last step in the process. Your Residence, Language and Prohibitions will be checked after the test and if you pass those checks, your application will go to "Decision Made" status. You'll then have to wait for a date to take the oath for citizenship. You'll become a Canadian citizen only after you take the oath of citizenship. Currently, there is a severe backlog for oath.

Aragorn165

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2016
Nomination.....
03-11-2015
AOR Received.
04-03-2016
Passport Req..
02-09-2016
No, it isn't the last step in the process. Your Residence, Language and Prohibitions will be checked after the test and if you pass those checks, your application will go to "Decision Made" status. You'll then have to wait for a date to take the oath for citizenship. You'll become a Canadian citizen only after you take the oath of citizenship. Currently, there is a severe backlog for oath.
Thank you very much, appreciate the response :)

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

nourmandy2

May 11, 2019
Hi I paid all fees together ( 2 adiults and one minor)as per guide shall I make copy for every application with explanation as many people said that paying all fees together cause confusion for the officer ?is it right!

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi I paid all fees together ( 2 adiults and one minor)as per guide shall I make copy for every application with explanation as many people said that paying all fees together cause confusion for the officer ?is it right!
Not sure about this but I suppose you can. Just put the explanation letter on the top and mention that you've paid the fee for 2 adults and 1 child in a single payment and attach the fee receipt to it.

Last edited:

nourmandy2

May 11, 2019
Hi ,
I just noticed that courier address for citizenship from the guide has only the address and doesn't mention grants adult while the address on the application firm (mentions grants ) adults which one we have to follow ,please note that I am applying as family and have minor ?thanks

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi ,
I just noticed that courier address for citizenship from the guide has only the address and doesn't mention grants adult while the address on the application firm (mentions grants ) adults which one we have to follow ,please note that I am applying as family and have minor ?thanks
Follow the instructions in the application form. Including "Citizenship Grants" will not affect the delivery of the application AFAIK as long as the address you've provided is correct.