+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Do we need to provide police clearance certificates for countries lived in before the 5 year eligibility period of the citizenship application?

do we need to furnish a police clearance certificate for country lived in 10 years back? This was produced for permanent residence earlier but do we need to reapply?
Well, the instruction guide is PRETTY CLEAR on who should submit police certificates.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html

Police certificate(s)

You need to provide a police certificate from each country, other than Canada, if you were there

• in the past 4 years
  • for 183 days or more in a row
  • since the age of 18
Indicate in the chart the name of each country and provide a police certificate.

You don’t need to provide a police certificate if

• you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada, and
  • this time falls within the past 4 years
If you can’t get a police certificate, tell us why in the explanation box.

To be valid, the police certificate must be either issued

• after the last time you were in that country, or
  • no more than 6 months before the date you sign your citizenship application
We may request a police certificate at any point during processing, even if you submitted a valid certificate with your application.
To the specific questions you asked, the answer is NO.

Candidpnp

Jul 4, 2017
So if I have lived abroad in The last 10 years in a country other than my country of origin , can I attach the old police clearance certificate which was produced for my permanent residence to the citizenship application or avoid it all together?

What would you recommend?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
So if I have lived abroad in The last 10 years in a country other than my country of origin , can I attach the old police clearance certificate which was produced for my permanent residence to the citizenship application or avoid it all together?

What would you recommend?
Once again......

It says in the past 4 years. Why do you want to submit police certificates for the countries you've lived in the past 10 years when it says past 4 years in the instruction guide.............?

Candidpnp

Jul 4, 2017
Once again......

It says in the past 4 years. Why do you want to submit police certificates for the countries you've lived in the past 10 years when it says past 4 years in the instruction guide.............?
Thanks, the confusion was because one of the bullet points mentioned since 18 years of age and I interpreted it as a period to be included.

thank you for the clarification!

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

Candidpnp

Jul 4, 2017
Hi again!

Another question is related to application form

Q.13. - Do you currently, or have you ever held immigration or citizenship status in a country or territory other than Canada (this includes your country of birth)?

Do we need to declare Student visa , post study work permits we have held earlier in the answer or just mention country where citizenship is held?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi again!

Another question is related to application form

Q.13. - Do you currently, or have you ever held immigration or citizenship status in a country or territory other than Canada (this includes your country of birth)?

Do we need to declare Student visa , post study work permits we have held earlier in the answer or just mention country where citizenship is held?
Declare everything - student, work/business visa, visitor visa, citizenship, PR status, dependent status and everything in between.

Reactions: Candidpnp

amitsmeet

Sep 11, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do we need to provide police clearance certificates for countries lived in before the 5 year eligibility period of the citizenship application?

do we need to furnish a police clearance certificate for country lived in 10 years back? This was produced for permanent residence earlier but do we need to reapply?
As have been answered earlier too, PCC for country is required only if you were there in past 4 years for more than 183 days or more in a row (continuous)

It didn't apply to me, but I was very close to the 4 year mark (slightly over 4 years) so I didn't take chance and got the PCC. No PCC required if you immigrated to Canada and never left back to your home country to stay for 183 days or more.

Pls review this link Question 10 and you will get the answers.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello Guys,
I am trying to download CIT 0002 form from the website, however its not showing the correct PDF. Do you guys have any empty CIT 0002 October 2020 form available? Please share, appreciate,
I tried:
https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/documents/pdf/english/kits/forms/cit0002e-2.pdf

Thanks
Arun
You can't view the file on the browser. Needs to be downloaded before you can view it.

Follow the following steps on Chrome :

1. Click on the 3 dots on the right corner of the browser window
2. Go to Settings
3. Click on Site Settings
4. Click on Additional Site Settings
5. Click on PDF documents
6. Enable "Download PDF files instead of automatically opening them in Chrome"
7. Refresh the page and click the link to the application form again
8. The form will be downloaded instead of opening on Chrome.
9. Open the file.

nourmandy2

May 11, 2019
Hi ,
If we are family of 4 persons ,shall we make one physical presence calculator once and print 4 copies or i have to make 4 entries one for each member, is there like reference number or special characters on each print ? Thanks

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi ,
If we are family of 4 persons ,shall we make one physical presence calculator once and print 4 copies or i have to make 4 entries one for each member, is there like reference number or special characters on each print ? Thanks
Submit a separate physical presence calculator for each applicant. Not sure if this document is needed for minors but make sure you submit separate documents for adults.

amitsmeet

Sep 11, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi ,
rajkamalmohanram rightly answered. Just would like to add that you don't require physical presence calculator for minor's if you are applying under subsection 5(2) (as no residency is required) but would be required if applying under subsection 5 (1).
For each individual adult, you need separate ones. There are no special identifications as such.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

VSagar823

Jul 12, 2021
Hello everyone,

I have a few questions regarding filling out the application form. Kindly help.

1) While travelling, how should I declare the travel time in the flight?

2) One of my jobs was a part time job (for 19months), during that time, I delivered food on Skip the dishes, and worked for a company (not even part time, they called me if they needed me) which paid me cash. How should I handle this?

3) During my part time job (mentioned above), I was on medical leave for approximately 3-4months. Should I declare this period as unemployed? If I have to, I don't have the exact dates.

4) I have two passports. I did not include the old passport as proof for my Permanent Residency. I just declared that I had an old passport, but I am not using it. The old passport has a different signature on it. Would that be a problem?

5) I filled out a CIT-0002 form and validated it a few times. Is it okay if I dispose of that document, and download a new one?

6) Regarding citizenship of another country and its effective date, is it correct to declare date of birth as effective date?

Thanks in advance.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello everyone,

I have a few questions regarding filling out the application form. Kindly help.

1) While travelling, how should I declare the travel time in the flight?

2) One of my jobs was a part time job (for 19months), during that time, I delivered food on Skip the dishes, and worked for a company (not even part time, they called me if they needed me) which paid me cash. How should I handle this?

3) During my part time job (mentioned above), I was on medical leave for approximately 3-4months. Should I declare this period as unemployed? If I have to, I don't have the exact dates.

4) I have two passports. I did not include the old passport as proof for my Permanent Residency. I just declared that I had an old passport, but I am not using it. The old passport has a different signature on it. Would that be a problem?

5) I filled out a CIT-0002 form and validated it a few times. Is it okay if I dispose of that document, and download a new one?

6) Regarding citizenship of another country and its effective date, is it correct to declare date of birth as effective date?

Thanks in advance.
1. You don't. You only enter the date you left Canada and the date you returned. The time spent flying is considered as you being outside Canada. I'm not sure why you're asking this (to answer which question on your application form?)

2. You can have overlapping time periods or multiple entries for the same time period. You can enter this information where it asks you to list all your activities in the past 5 years.

3. If you were still on the company's payroll or in other words, if you were still employed with the company (and didn't quit), you can consider this time as being employed.

4. You will only declare passports that were valid during the 5 year eligibility period. I have not seen anyone else with a signature mismatch issue on passport, you'll be the first. Please let me know how it goes. Personally, I think there shouldn't be any issues.

5. Absolutely.

6. For the country of citizenship by birth, yes, your birth date would usually be the "effective date".

nourmandy2

May 11, 2019
rajkamalmohanram rightly answered. Just would like to add that you don't require physical presence calculator for minor's if you are applying under subsection 5(2) (as no residency is required) but would be required if applying under subsection 5 (1).
For each individual adult, you need separate ones. There are no special identifications as such.
Thanks a lot

Reactions: amitsmeet