+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

User8505

Aug 8, 2017
So, I received a request for fingerprints.

Which as per the forum experts is the efficient way to get it done?

- Local Police
- RCMP
- Third Party Agency

I am in Oshawa, ON.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
So, I received a request for fingerprints.

Which as per the forum experts is the efficient way to get it done?

- Local Police
- RCMP
- Third Party Agency

I am in Oshawa, ON.
My suggestion is to book an appointment with Frontier One (F1)

https://www.f1fingerprint.ca/digital-fingerprinting

we got FP done through them at their Vaughan office.

Markham office might be the nearest to you

Reactions: User8505

User8505

Aug 8, 2017
Open the link scroll down to see the workflow they have mentioned in the page...
They upload the FPs to RCMP.. RCMP then send the results (via post) to IRCC
Great. Instils trust when it comes directly from the users than going as per the unsubstantiated claims on the website!

ama25

May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-09-2016
AOR Received.
19-10-2016
Med's Done....
28-08-2016
PART - 6

Post-Application Phase

You have now submitted your Citizenship application. If you paid close attention to the guide and prepared a killer application package - the chances of you getting your application back is very less to none.

The hard part begins now - Waiting! In this initial stage after submission, you'd have to wait for AOR.

What can you do while you wait?

It generally takes about 2 months from the date they receive the application for you to get a AOR. (This can vary slightly from person to person). While you wait for AOR (and for further steps after you receive AOR), you can do the following -
Routine vs Non-Routine Applications and Additional document requests

Your citizenship application could be processed in 2 different ways - Routine and Non-Routine.
What happens during application processing?

At the time of writing this post, the "official" processing time is 12 months. In reality, however - It ranges anywhere between 6 months to Forever. A sizable portion of the applications are processed between 6 - 9 months time.
The basic consensus of how a citizenship application might progress is explained below. This might vary slightly between applicants but this should give you a general idea. There is some speculation here and I am paraphrasing this from one of dpenabill's post and other posts in this forum.
  • CPC-Sydney issues an AOR after the completeness-checking the application package
  • A file is opened in GCMS (simultaneously).
  • The application is sent for background checks
    • Criminality checks are done by RCMP
    • Security checks are done by CSIS
    • GCMS checks are done by IRCC
  • CPC-Sydney might do some additional processing (?)
  • Application is forwarded to the local visa office for further processing
  • Local Visa Office (LVO) checks and verifies the authenticity of the information / documents in the application package
  • LVO sends Notice to appear for citizenship test and interview
  • LVO sends a Notice to appear for Citizenship Ceremony (Oath)
After the oath: Next Steps

You are officially a Canadian Citizen after you take the oath of citizenship.
  • Official sources state that you need to wait a minimum of 2 business days before you can apply for a Canadian Passport.
  • However, in reality, you can apply for a passport as soon as your ECAS status changes to 'Complete' and this can happen before 2 business days.
Closing notes

Canadian Citizenship is a privilege and not a right. Let's embrace it, respect it and let's never abuse it. NEVER lie on an immigration / citizenship application - It is not worth the consequences.

I hope that the mods make this a sticky thread for easy access. Let's further discuss about the nuances of this process and help each other in this beautiful journey of becoming a citizen of this great nation.

-rajkamalmohanram
Hi I have a question
I came to Canada in 2010 on a year work visa, but I overstayed and in 2016 CBSA issued me an exclusion order, but they allowed me to send my PR application since I was already married to a Canadian citizen and have a child together, and in 2018 I got my permanent residency.

will this have a negative effect on my citizenship application?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi I have a question
I came to Canada in 2010 on a year work visa, but I overstayed and in 2016 CBSA issued me an exclusion order, but they allowed me to send my PR application since I was already married to a Canadian citizen and have a child together, and in 2018 I got my permanent residency.

will this have a negative effect on my citizenship application?
Don’t think so else you would not have got the PR at the first place

amjad3126

Star Member
May 20, 2014
Q3 (c): What date did you become a permanent resident of Canada (landed immigrant)? Copy the date that you became a permanent resident as it appears on your most recent immigration document: Permanent Resident Card (PR Card), or Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Record of Landing

I become the PR in Jan 2016 after my study visa while I was inside the CANADA.

Later on I travel back to UAE and stay there for 2.5 years and return back to Canada to get the Renewal of PR card in May 2021.

So in the question, they mentioned most recent immigration document, do I have to use the date of my first PR card (Jan 2016) or the date of renewed (PR card) ie: May 2021.

Thanks

Q10 (b): In the past four (4) years, were you in a country or territory other than Canada for 183 days or more in a row (since the age of 18)?

As I am filling the Citizenship application after 1115 days, so in last 04 years I spend more than 183 days in UAE, which is not my city of origin (Pakistan). Do I have to provide the Police Clearance Certificate from the United Arab Emirate for this time frame?

adi1031

Feb 12, 2020
Hello, I'm almost done completing the online application for myself and my wife but I'm not sure about a couple of questions.

1. The difference between homemaker and unemployed. My wife left her job before we came to Canada to take care of our child so is she unemployed or a homemaker.

2. Immigration or citizenship status in another country? - While I can put in student visa details for my study do I need to include business trips that I took 15 years ago ? Do tourist visas also count?

3. Have you used another name? - My wife's name was different before marriage but we married before coming to Canada. Her name has been the same to Canada during the whole process.

adi1031

Feb 12, 2020
Q3 (c): What date did you become a permanent resident of Canada (landed immigrant)? Copy the date that you became a permanent resident as it appears on your most recent immigration document: Permanent Resident Card (PR Card), or Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Record of Landing

Later on I travel back to UAE and stay there for 2.5 years and return back to Canada to get the Renewal of PR card in May 2021.

So in the question, they mentioned most recent immigration document, do I have to use the date of my first PR card (Jan 2016) or the date of renewed (PR card) ie: May 2021.

Thanks

Q10 (b): In the past four (4) years, were you in a country or territory other than Canada for 183 days or more in a row (since the age of 18)?

As I am filling the Citizenship application after 1115 days, so in last 04 years I spend more than 183 days in UAE, which is not my city of origin (Pakistan). Do I have to provide the Police Clearance Certificate from the United Arab Emirate for this time frame?
Looks like you do need a Police Certificate from the UAE.

Reactions: amjad3126

adi1031

Feb 12, 2020
Hi Guys,

We are a family of four - my spouse, two kids under 18 and myself. Now it's time to apply for citizenship. As per my understanding we can't apply online if we are getting citizenship all together. Here is the question: Can I apply online for my wife and myself, process everything, get the citizenship and then apply for kids on paper? I hate filling the forms and online seems to be so much easier ))
Online is now open for kids

adi1031

Feb 12, 2020
Hi Guys,
I am preparing the documentation for applying next month. Have a few questions and appreciate any help.
1. Have they enabled online processing for parents to apply along with the kids or is it only paper based still?
2. I stayed in US for 6 years before moving to Canada on Work permit(Indian citizen) and then got PR here. Should I apply for PCC again from US ?
1. Yes
2. You need a police certificate if you live 183 days outside Canada after becoming a PR. Doesn't sound like that for your situation so my answer is No.

Reactions: Z86

adi1031

Feb 12, 2020
Hello Everyone,

I am writing to request for help with the following question

In the past 4 years, were you in a country or territory other than Canada for 183 days or more in a row (since the age of 18)?

1. I moved to Canada in March 2018. It's been 4 years. And i did not live outside of Canada for more than 183 in the last 4 years. (just 40 days)

The question is a bit confusing as it says since the age of 18 - in this case, should I answer to this question be NO or YES? Can you all please advise.

IF yes, do I need to provide my country of origin PCC which in this case is India.
There are 2 conditions in this question - Since the age of 18 and past 4 years. Were you 18 years old when you moved here?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016

Thanks

-Jan 2016
-Yes you will have to provide the DXB PCC(it should be a very simple task if you ever had a emirates ID# even if that is cancelled)

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello, I'm almost done completing the online application for myself and my wife but I'm not sure about a couple of questions.

1. The difference between homemaker and unemployed. My wife left her job before we came to Canada to take care of our child so is she unemployed or a homemaker.

2. Immigration or citizenship status in another country? - While I can put in student visa details for my study do I need to include business trips that I took 15 years ago ? Do tourist visas also count?

3. Have you used another name? - My wife's name was different before marriage but we married before coming to Canada. Her name has been the same to Canada during the whole process.
Just mention home maker

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html
Tell us if you have had immigration, permanent resident status and/or citizenship in any other country outside of Canada (e.g. your country of birth)

• Check either yes or no.
  • If you check yes, complete the chart.
  • Tell us which countries you have held status in, and exactly what status you held or currently hold (student, employment/worker, visitor, refugee/protected person, permanent resident or citizen).
  • Date you obtained each status(YYYY-MM-DD)
  • End date if no longer valid, if applicable (YYYY-MM-DD). Leave blank if you currently hold this status