+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone want to join a thread for people applying in the near future?

agarand8

Aug 21, 2013
Regina, Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-03-2014
Doc's Request.
10-06-2014
AOR Received.
21-05-2014...#2 - 10-06-2014
File Transfer...
22-05-2014
Med's Request
Additional tests requested on 05-06-2014
Med's Done....
Feb. 2014 & August 5th 2014
Interview........
24-FEB-2015
Passport Req..
24-MAR-2015...received at VO 6-APR-2015
hcseeker said:
I lived all my life in Alberta so I think the heat and humidity of Costa Rica would be intolerable. It's too hot here in California for me but it's dry heat at least. :)
Your body climatizes to it after about 4 months. For me, I hate being cold. Much easier and quicker to find ways to cool down if you get too hot.

Ellasg

Oct 7, 2013
Japan
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-12-2013
AOR Received.
29-01-2014
File Transfer...
03-02-2014
Med's Done....
29-10-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
24-04-2014, DM: 19-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2014
LANDED..........
06-06-2014
agarand8 said:
Your body climatizes to it after about 4 months. For me, I hate being cold. Much easier and quicker to find ways to cool down if you get too hot.
I'm the opposite, there's no way to cool down during the Japanese and the Amazonian summer (all year). It's way too humid!

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Ellasg said:
I'm the opposite, there's no way to cool down during the Japanese and the Amazonian summer (all year). It's way too humid!
yeah, i'm the same way... prefer the cold, even the ridiculous cold in canada to sweltering heat and humidity. ick!

lleahdoll

Nov 12, 2012
USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
Sep 9th, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 5th, 2015 (CSQ requested)
AOR Received.
Oct 14th, 2014
File Transfer...
Nov 14th, 2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 29th, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM: Aug 1st, 2015 COPR: Aug 6th, 2015
LANDED..........
Sep 1st, 2015
Elena78 said:
Quick question are you you guys sending in your police clearance certificate with the application or do you wait for CIC to request it?
I'd advise just waiting and sending it in with everything. I'd guess the "delay" to wait for the police clearance to come back would probably take less time than if you send it without and your application is delayed bc they request it from you.

hcseeker said:
lleahdoll, I'm the sponsor. Excellent advice to do "lots of reading on the forum and CIC's website." That's what I did too. What I read in the forum often illuminated what CIC said on their website.
Thanks!! It's what I did on and off between November 2012 (when I joined) and August 2013 (when we got married). I learned a lot and only ask questions if I am absolutely stumped about something.

jjoon said:
Right! I actually put together my application AS IF I was LOOKING for fraud... it really helped me see some of the (unintended) holes, and then of course filled them in so it's (hopefully) watertight. For example, I tossed out a bunch of photos I had initially chosen. Typical coupley ones of 2 of you in some street in some town you *say* is Montreal, or Mexico, and you *say* is 3 years ago, but most of us don't change weight/hairstyles radically enough to clearly date our photos! I replaced them with eg, group family photos from different Xmas's showing how my nephews had grown in the 6 years we've been married. BC it's really ez to fake couple shots (remember Greencard, the movie? they posed in front of posters!). Much harder to get a big group of people to be in cahoots with you and fake-pose at a dinner table several years in a row.

Or, when I collected phone bills, at first I just highlighted all the calls to me, then I realized how do they KNOW this was my old #? I could pick any frequent call on his bills and highlight it... so that prompted a search for how to PROVE it was my #... etc. Emails? Just change the clock on your computer and write a bunch of emails to/from your "fake" husband. So I also included a bunch of emails to/from third parties referring to us as a couple... Basically tried to make sure there was at least some form of external validation for every type of POR. That's what made the process SOOO long for me! I kept discovering holes and iffy bits I didn't know were there.

Frankly, the process gave me a lot of empathy for their work at CIC. I realized how easy it is to fake them out. They really have to comb through these applications carefully. That's why they ask for SO much proof of relationship - its seems so overkill and redundant to us (genuine) couples, but that redundancy itself is a bit of a test/safeguard/hurdle against fraud.

BTW I'm not trying to make anyone paranoid! Suspicion was just a personal strategy of mine that worked well for MY situation. DH and I are trying to get preggers, and I'll have to spend the pregnancy in California (health insurance) until I can get OHIP here. If he's on a Toronto project, that's us being separated for months, maybe even during delivery! So I really really wanted to try not to get flagged, asked for more docs/proof, interviewed, etc. I needed to be sure I was covered if I *did* get that particular VO who's very suspicious.
I think that's a great way to look at it!! I am worried on that though since my husband's family and I aren't too close and we don't have any photos together. My husband has photos with my brother but that's the only family he's met of mine bc he can't really take time off from the types of jobs he has had the past year and a half. (labor jobs).
Luckily I change my hair all the time bc I get bored so almost every photo I've included my hair is different. And they aren't even that far apart time wise hahaha

Also, just want to update everyone on where I'm at... I got my extension approved today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yippee!!! I don't know for how long as they will be mailing it to me. So, hopefully it gets here soon!!! :)

hcseeker

Mar 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2014
Med's Done....
21-04-2014
lleahdoll said:
Also, just want to update everyone on where I'm at... I got my extension approved today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yippee!!! I don't know for how long as they will be mailing it to me. So, hopefully it gets here soon!!! :)
How wonderful for you lleahdoll!!! Do you mean you extended your visitor visa in Canada by applying & paying $100 for it? We'll be flying back to Canada next month & that's what we'd like to do to stay together.

lleahdoll

Nov 12, 2012
USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
Sep 9th, 2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Oct 14th, 2014
File Transfer...
Nov 14th, 2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 29th, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Sep 1st, 2015
hcseeker said:
How wonderful for you lleahdoll!!! Do you mean you extended your visitor visa in Canada by applying & paying $100 for it? We'll be flying back to Canada next month & that's what we'd like to do to stay together.
Yep, that's what I mean. I have to apply again because I messed up though. :( *sigh*

hcseeker

Mar 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2014
Med's Done....
21-04-2014
lleahdoll said:
Yep, that's what I mean. I have to apply again because I messed up though. :( *sigh*
On no lleahdoll. :( So sorry to hear that. What went wrong?

lleahdoll

Nov 12, 2012
USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
Sep 9th, 2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Oct 14th, 2014
File Transfer...
Nov 14th, 2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 29th, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Sep 1st, 2015
I was confused on the question where they ask how long are you planning to stay in Canada. I figured it meant on my current visit.. like just with my passport. Because I wouldn't plan on staying longer unless I got approved for an extension, ya know?
I explained in my letter of explanation that I was confused on that question though and obviously wanted to stay longer than June 8th which is when I'd have to leave on my current stay.
Anyways, it's mostly frustrating because I spent $100 to get told I can stay til the day I was already meant to leave on. Very frustrating.

ulsterman82

May 24, 2014
Hi everyone ive just joined the forum! So just to update everyone on my circumstances:

British Citizen, married to a Canadian citizen

Currently living in the UK and looking to move to Canada to be with the wife who lives there, we have been complying our visa applications but we have decided to maybe go for the inland visa instead? I did my medical last july and my police checks last august for for personnel reasons we are now free to go for the visa. We have our hearts now set on doing the inland visa. And i really would appreciate it if someone could answer the below questions or sent me a link.

As im visa exempt, if i was to do the outland visa can i just fly to canada stay with my wife and fly back and forth when my six months is up?

As we are married will it be okay just to tell border control that i will arrive in canada to start the inland process, what will i need to have with me to ensure that they believe my intentions?

How long can i stay in Canada legally as i know it will be at least ten months before i get a decision on sponsorship?

what about heath insurance? who would be the cheapest to go for in case i get ill?

once we get the application can i leave the country for say a couple of weeks in case i need to fly home to the uk?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Andy

jjoon

Star Member
May 15, 2014
Toronto & San Francisco
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mailed 04-05, Deliv 09-05-2014
AOR Received.
xx-xx-2014
File Transfer...
xx-xx-2014
Med's Done....
25-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-08-2014
LANDED..........
xx-xx-2014 not sure, the COPR caught me by surprise!
rhcohen2014 said:
yeah, i'm the same way... prefer the cold, even the ridiculous cold in canada to sweltering heat and humidity. ick!
so funny... i prefer the heat, and even like humid summers - but I feel I get more heat HERE! one thing I like about being here is even though there's a LOT more cold weather, there's also a REAL summer - which I never got in the foggy city by the bay, not for 30 years. I just spent 2 months back there and was in a cardigan and sweats (indoors) for every single morning and evening - outside I was often shivering through the sudden fog/wind burst that arrives around 3 pm every afternoon, even sunny ones. when we got back here to toronto, I could loll about in a nightgown or sundress (indoors, again). Homes are just warmer here, better heating/insulation or wahtever. When you go out, you KNOW what the weather will be and you dress for it. It doesn't change by 20 degrees (F) in a single afternoon.

So ironically, I prefer the heat, and happy bc I am LESS cold in canada! go figure! that's something i couldn't have predicted.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
ulsterman82 said:
Hi everyone ive just joined the forum! So just to update everyone on my circumstances:

Currently living in the UK and looking to move to Canada to be with the wife who lives there, we have been complying our visa applications but we have decided to maybe go for the inland visa instead? I did my medical last july and my police checks last august for for personnel reasons we are now free to go for the visa. We have our hearts now set on doing the inland visa. And i really would appreciate it if someone could answer the below questions or sent me a link.

As im visa exempt, if i was to do the outland visa can i just fly to canada stay with my wife and fly back and forth when my six months is up?

As we are married will it be okay just to tell border control that i will arrive in canada to start the inland process, what will i need to have with me to ensure that they believe my intentions?

How long can i stay in Canada legally as i know it will be at least ten months before i get a decision on sponsorship?

what about heath insurance? who would be the cheapest to go for in case i get ill?

once we get the application can i leave the country for say a couple of weeks in case i need to fly home to the uk?

Andy
hi and welcome! as a visa exempt applicant, it's definitely faster to apply outland. for the most part, an outland applicant can land as a pr in as much time or sooner than stage 1 approval for inland. my suggestion is to find the london thread and find the spreadsheet that tracks progress. here are the basics of inland vs. outland:

Inland:
- takes nearly twice as long as outland.
- the "only" advantage seems to be the fact the applicant will be able to apply for an open work permit which will be processed after stage 1 approval. That current wait time is 8-10 months. then it's another 8ish months to get totally approved.
- with an inland application, if the applicant leaves canada, they can be denied reentry, and the application will be cancelled. this seems to be a risk most inland applicants struggle with and decide it's not worth it. many people from visa exempt countries realize it would have been better to apply outland, and by that time it's too late. there are posts from people who have to miss big family events or emergency situations because they don't want to risk their application
- there is no right to appeal

Outland:
- for the UK, i believe the wait time is 6-8 months? possibly more like 8-10... again check the london thread to see the stats. The wait times listed on the CIC site are not accurate, and for the most part are longer than actuality
- it is certainly possible for an outland applicant to stay in Canada for the duration of the application. The applicant would enter as a VISITOR (be careful not to suggest you are moving or living there upon entry), and can of course ask to stay up to 6 mo. The length of stay is always dependant on the border agent you encounter that day. Once in, the visitor can then apply to extend their stay for 6 mo or 1 year. It is recommended to do this at least 30 days prior to the visit ending. What length of extension granted is up to CIC, and for the most part, visa exempt applicants have had success staying for 1-2 years while the application is in process. Extending the stay is a safer route then trying to "reset" your time in Canada, as it's not a guarantee that actually works for multiple long term visits.
- an outland applicant can be IN canada when the application is submitted. Being OUTLAND doesn't mean you are actually out of canada the entire time, it just means you have current residence in another country. It is even ok to put a canadian address for the applicant for CIC communication, if they plan to be there for most of the process
- the outland applicant is free to leave canada anytime during the application process for vacations, work, etc. the application will not be in jeopardy
- while in canada as a visitor, the applicant is not allowed to work (unless remotely for a NON canadian company) or study (unless the program is less than 6 mo.) until they receive PR status.
- outland applicants have the right to appeal

Remember when entering as a visitor, CBSA will want to see strong ties to your home country, so they don't suspect you wanting to overstay or work illegally. The best option is of course to have a remote job with a company in your home country. Also, a lease/mortgage/deed is another strong tie. Belongings and family are NOT strong enough ties. Personally, I would not suggest to the border agent any intentions on applying for an extension, unless of course they ask, as it's important to be truthful. Also, be careful about how much stuff you bring, and remember to have a return ticket. If you plan to extend, buy a refundable one or one you can change dates for easily).

As for health insurance, there is travel insurance available and it can get pretty pricey. i'm sure others will provide more information about that for you. Again, my suggestion is to hang out and ask questions in the London application thread. Good Luck...and apply OUTLAND!

hcseeker

Mar 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2014
Med's Done....
21-04-2014
lleahdoll said:
I was confused on the question where they ask how long are you planning to stay in Canada. I figured it meant on my current visit.. like just with my passport. Because I wouldn't plan on staying longer unless I got approved for an extension, ya know?
I explained in my letter of explanation that I was confused on that question though and obviously wanted to stay longer than June 8th which is when I'd have to leave on my current stay.
Anyways, it's mostly frustrating because I spent $100 to get told I can stay til the day I was already meant to leave on. Very frustrating.
That is soooOO nasty, seems like pure bureaucratic heartlessness to me. :mad: So sorry for you and your hubby.
I had to pay $382 extra interest this week on my credit card balance transfers cuz I didn't know they applied any payments I made on the highest interest rate first. Spent an hour on the phone w Master Card. We just have to eat it. SooO frustrated. Probably couldn't come at a worse time. :(

jjoon

Star Member
May 15, 2014
Toronto & San Francisco
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mailed 04-05, Deliv 09-05-2014
AOR Received.
xx-xx-2014
File Transfer...
xx-xx-2014
Med's Done....
25-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-08-2014
LANDED..........
xx-xx-2014 not sure, the COPR caught me by surprise!
lleahdoll said:
Luckily I change my hair all the time bc I get bored so almost every photo I've included my hair is different. And they aren't even that far apart time wise hahaha
haha! well you definitely had the easier way to prove time lapse ;D
congrats on your extension btw!

brucem

Apr 21, 2014
Edinburgh
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Doc's Request.
23-01-2015
AOR Received.
22-08-2014
File Transfer...
22-08-2014
Med's Done....
26-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2015
LANDED..........
08-07-2015
ulsterman82 said:

Andy
Be careful with the health insurance. I stayed in Toronto for a year and insurance cost me a packet but when I ended up in hospital after being whacked over the head. Unfortunately the hospital didnt recognise my insurance, after waiting for 6 hours and not seeing a doctor I decided to leave but they still sent me a bill for over $300 which took a bit of sorting out as they passed it for debt collection. Maybe just a bad experience but left me wondering what the hell I got the insurance for...however in saying that you are much safer than without as medical bills can rack up. Might be worthwhile checking what types of insurance hospitals will accept. Maybe someone else knows a little more than me.

ulsterman82

May 24, 2014
rhcohen2014 said:
hi and welcome! as a visa exempt applicant, it's definitely faster to apply outland. for the most part, an outland applicant can land as a pr in as much time or sooner than stage 1 approval for inland. my suggestion is to find the london thread and find the spreadsheet that tracks progress. here are the basics of inland vs. outland:

Inland:
- takes nearly twice as long as outland.
- the "only" advantage seems to be the fact the applicant will be able to apply for an open work permit which will be processed after stage 1 approval. That current wait time is 8-10 months. then it's another 8ish months to get totally approved.
- with an inland application, if the applicant leaves canada, they can be denied reentry, and the application will be cancelled. this seems to be a risk most inland applicants struggle with and decide it's not worth it. many people from visa exempt countries realize it would have been better to apply outland, and by that time it's too late. there are posts from people who have to miss big family events or emergency situations because they don't want to risk their application
- there is no right to appeal

Outland:
- for the UK, i believe the wait time is 6-8 months? possibly more like 8-10... again check the london thread to see the stats. The wait times listed on the CIC site are not accurate, and for the most part are longer than actuality
- it is certainly possible for an outland applicant to stay in Canada for the duration of the application. The applicant would enter as a VISITOR (be careful not to suggest you are moving or living there upon entry), and can of course ask to stay up to 6 mo. The length of stay is always dependant on the border agent you encounter that day. Once in, the visitor can then apply to extend their stay for 6 mo or 1 year. It is recommended to do this at least 30 days prior to the visit ending. What length of extension granted is up to CIC, and for the most part, visa exempt applicants have had success staying for 1-2 years while the application is in process. Extending the stay is a safer route then trying to "reset" your time in Canada, as it's not a guarantee that actually works for multiple long term visits.
- an outland applicant can be IN canada when the application is submitted. Being OUTLAND doesn't mean you are actually out of canada the entire time, it just means you have current residence in another country. It is even ok to put a canadian address for the applicant for CIC communication, if they plan to be there for most of the process
- the outland applicant is free to leave canada anytime during the application process for vacations, work, etc. the application will not be in jeopardy
- while in canada as a visitor, the applicant is not allowed to work (unless remotely for a NON canadian company) or study (unless the program is less than 6 mo.) until they receive PR status.
- outland applicants have the right to appeal

Remember when entering as a visitor, CBSA will want to see strong ties to your home country, so they don't suspect you wanting to overstay or work illegally. The best option is of course to have a remote job with a company in your home country. Also, a lease/mortgage/deed is another strong tie. Belongings and family are NOT strong enough ties. Personally, I would not suggest to the border agent any intentions on applying for an extension, unless of course they ask, as it's important to be truthful. Also, be careful about how much stuff you bring, and remember to have a return ticket. If you plan to extend, buy a refundable one or one you can change dates for easily).

As for health insurance, there is travel insurance available and it can get pretty pricey. i'm sure others will provide more information about that for you. Again, my suggestion is to hang out and ask questions in the London application thread. Good Luck...and apply OUTLAND!
Thank you ever so much for clarifying all of that! We really appreciate it! In all my years of posting on different forums of all subjects this is by far the best reply i have ever had! This forum is very lucky to have you!