+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone want to join a thread for people applying in the near future?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
ulsterman82 said:
Thank you ever so much for clarifying all of that! We really appreciate it! In all my years of posting on different forums of all subjects this is by far the best reply i have ever had! This forum is very lucky to have you!
awe thanks! <blushing>. I;ve learned A LOT by reading this forum, as there are many, many senior members who provide EXCELLENT information. I am just learning as I go and attempt to share that information as accurately as possible, as well as what i've learned from my own experience, when others sound confused... especially when it comes to inland vs. outland for visa exempts and crossing the border! :)

Applicant7

Star Member
Jan 30, 2014
Germany
Category........
Visa Office......
London, United Kingdom
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-13
AOR Received.
19-12-13
File Transfer...
13-01-14
Med's Done....
29-08-13
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
27-06-14
LANDED..........
28-08-14
ulsterman82 said:
Hi everyone ive just joined the forum! So just to update everyone on my circumstances:

British Citizen, married to a Canadian citizen

Currently living in the UK and looking to move to Canada to be with the wife who lives there, we have been complying our visa applications but we have decided to maybe go for the inland visa instead? I did my medical last july and my police checks last august for for personnel reasons we are now free to go for the visa. We have our hearts now set on doing the inland visa. And i really would appreciate it if someone could answer the below questions or sent me a link.

As im visa exempt, if i was to do the outland visa can i just fly to canada stay with my wife and fly back and forth when my six months is up?

As we are married will it be okay just to tell border control that i will arrive in canada to start the inland process, what will i need to have with me to ensure that they believe my intentions?

How long can i stay in Canada legally as i know it will be at least ten months before i get a decision on sponsorship?

what about heath insurance? who would be the cheapest to go for in case i get ill?

once we get the application can i leave the country for say a couple of weeks in case i need to fly home to the uk?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Andy
I want to start off by saying that I wish you luck in the future application process - I'm currently waiting for for mine to be checked out by the London office. I would definitely suggest outland, like many of the people on here, because the London waiting times are significantly shorter.

However, reading your post brought out some major issues. In case I am incorrect, and I am I am sorry, but did you say your medical and police checks are almost a year old? If so, that will be an issue. Police checks should be no older than 3 months when they are submitted. As well, medicals have a 1 year expiry date. They need to be within the 1 year when you are awarded your PR, so ideally should be very recent when sending in your application. Most people don't even get their medicals until after their application is in to avoid dealing with the expense of an expired medical exam. Personally, we are even dealing with that issue ourselves (our medical expires in August, so if we don't hear anything by then...).

I wish you luck with the application process, and I am sorry if that was a downer, I just wanted you to know this before you went to the trouble of submitting the application.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Applicant7 said:
As well, medicals have a 1 year expiry date. They need to be within the 1 year when you are awarded your PR, so ideally should be very recent when sending in your application. Most people don't even get their medicals until after their application is in to avoid dealing with the expense of an expired medical exam. Personally, we are even dealing with that issue ourselves (our medical expires in August, so if we don't hear anything by then...).
Visa offices have the ability to extend medical exams to help applicants get through approval. if they are sent in with the application prior to the 1 year expiration date, it's best to wait for CIC to request an updated one to avoid paying the large fee. I believe it's also possible to request the VO to consider extending them if they do ask for a re-examination. Of course, it's up to the VO whether they do that.

As for Police Records, yes, it's true they need to be received by CIC within 3 months of issue. those can not be extended.

Applicant7

Star Member
Jan 30, 2014
Germany
Category........
Visa Office......
London, United Kingdom
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-13
AOR Received.
19-12-13
File Transfer...
13-01-14
Med's Done....
29-08-13
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
27-06-14
LANDED..........
28-08-14
rhcohen2014 said:
Visa offices have the ability to extend medical exams to help applicants get through approval. if they are sent in with the application prior to the 1 year expiration date, it's best to wait for CIC to request an updated one to avoid paying the large fee. I believe it's also possible to request the VO to consider extending them if they do ask for a re-examination. Of course, it's up to the VO whether they do that.

As for Police Records, yes, it's true they need to be received by CIC within 3 months of issue. those can not be extended.
It's absolutely true that it is up to the discretion of VO office, but I will caution that every mention I have heard of for an extension has only been given out to those who have been in process for over - or close to - a year, so those that submitted right after taking the exam. I will agree with rhcohen, and say that it would be safer (monetarily) to not give another exam until requested, but this may delay your application (not necessarily). Just beware that getting a new one requested will be a very real possibility!

There is this topic that talks about extensions, but only if your application is processed in the next 6 months: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t106229.0.html

If any members would like to correct me - I'm rather new to this myself - please do!

sage_thyme

May 24, 2014
Hi
I've been lurking and I want to join you now. To be honest, I haven't even started compiling stage yet: I'm just thinking of making application within a few months. I will go for Inland app while inside Canada. Can anybody advise me if I can have (open) work permit while waiting for PR?? :)

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
sage_thyme said:
Hi
I've been lurking and I want to join you now. To be honest, I haven't even started compiling stage yet: I'm just thinking of making application within a few months. I will go for Inland app while inside Canada. Can anybody advise me if I can have (open) work permit while waiting for PR?? :)
if you apply inland, you can attach an open work permit along with that application. An OWP will not be approved until AFTER stage 1 approval is given, so you are looking at 8-10 months before an OWP is approved once your application is submitted.

sage_thyme

May 24, 2014
rhcohen2014 said:
if you apply inland, you can attach an open work permit along with that application. An OWP will not be approved until AFTER stage 1 approval is given, so you are looking at 8-10 months before an OWP is approved once your application is submitted.
Thanks for the quick reply, :)
I'm looking at outside app, which I will make while I'm actually inside Canada.
Is it possible to work while waiting the PR?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
sage_thyme said:
Thanks for the quick reply, :)
I'm looking at outside app, which I will make while I'm actually inside Canada.
Is it possible to work while waiting the PR?
your above post said you will be applying for an "inland app while inside canada", which is different from applying outland while remaining in canada as a visitor.

outland applicants are not eligible for OWP. One option to work while an outland app is in progress is to try to obtain a work permit through an employer, which is very difficult to get, as it requires a job offer first and the employer being approved for an LMO. The other option is to work remotely for a company in your own country (or any NON canadian company). Outland applicants who are in canada usually enter as VISITORS which mean they can not work for a canadian company or study while in canada. More likely than not, if you are an outland applicant staying in canada during the process, you will have to go without working until PR status is approved.

sage_thyme

May 24, 2014
rhcohen2014 said:
your above post said you will be applying for an "inland app while inside canada", which is different from applying outland while remaining in canada as a visitor.
Wooops, now I realised the mistake I made in my first post! Sorry :-[
My husband, who has duel citizenship (Canada / UK), says he heard from immigration officer that I would be able to work in about 3 months after the app. But, when you say 'enter as VISITORS which mean they can not work for a canadian company...', it does make more sense.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
sage_thyme said:
Wooops, now I realised the mistake I made in my first post! Sorry :-[
My husband, who has duel citizenship (Canada / UK), says he heard from immigration officer that I would be able to work in about 3 months after the app. But, when you say 'enter as VISITORS which mean they can not work for a canadian company...', it does make more sense.
i am not sure why a Canadian immigration officer would ever suggest a PR applicant can work in about 3 months after submitting an application, because that is not possible - even for inland applicants who are eligible for open work permits. or did he mean, being able to work 3 months after LANDING as a PR?

sage_thyme

May 24, 2014
rhcohen2014 said:
or did he mean, it's possible to be able to work 3 months after landing as a PR?
I'm not sure, I need clarification on that point....
btw I'd struggle with compiling documents because:
We have no pics together------this is because I hate taking / being taken pics---not even wedding pics
We have no joint account
We have no letters
We have no mails
We chat on Skype every night, so I can just print it out, maybe? But we use a lot of silly lauguages on Skype and I don't want the aurthority to think we are insane!!

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
sage_thyme said:
I'm not sure, I need clarification on that point....
btw I'd struggle with compiling documents because:
We have no pics together------this is because I hate taking / being taken pics---not even wedding pics
We have no joint account
We have no letters
We have no mails
We chat on Skype every night, so I can just print it out, maybe? But we use a lot of silly lauguages on Skype and I don't want the aurthority to think we are insane!!
if you are applying as a married couple, it's not required to have letters or joint accounts. i'm not sure what you mean by mails. you can always ask your family members and friends to write letters to help prove your relationship to be true. as for the pictures, i'm not sure what to say, because cic likes to see them. i guess you can explain why you don't have pictures. receipts for trips together, wedding invitations, vendor receipts for the wedding, copies of passport stamps that show visits to eachother's country, and pictures of presents given to each other are other ideas people use to prove their relationship. there is a program that will help you download your skype conversation. just google it, to find it. i never used it, but it's recommended on here often.

sage_thyme

May 24, 2014
rhcohen2014 said:
if you are applying as a married couple, it's not required to have letters or joint accounts. i'm not sure what you mean by mails. you can always ask your family members and friends to write letters to help prove your relationship to be true. as for the pictures, i'm not sure what to say, because cic likes to see them. i guess you can explain why you don't have pictures. receipts for trips together, wedding invitations, vendor receipts for the wedding, copies of passport stamps that show visits to eachother's country, and pictures of presents given to each other are other ideas people use to prove their relationship. there is a program that will help you download your skype conversation. just google it, to find it. i never used it, but it's recommended on here often.
Thank you for a lot of suggestion. Being married to each other for 14 years, our marriage is certainly not a fake. But, when we have to prove it, we have not many things to show: as I said, we have no photes together, no travel stamps co's he's never been to my country and I've never been to his........I now think we're not a typical couple!! I will definately use your tip about Skype, though. :)

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
sage_thyme said:
Thank you for a lot of suggestion. Being married to each other for 14 years, our marriage is certainly not a fake. But, when we have to prove it, we have not many things to show: as I said, we have no photes together, no travel stamps co's he's never been to my country and I've never been to his........I now think we're not a typical couple!! I will definately use your tip about Skype, though. :)
if you've travelled or lived together outside of eachother's country, any proof of that would be helpful too. i'm sure being married for 14 years gives some credibility.

amhel26

Star Member
Feb 10, 2014
Im filling my application to be sent on 15 of june, when we have the 1 year living together that is required for common law.
I love the idea of this thread, i definitely have thousand questions, everytime i open a guide or form theres always something im confused about.

I am applying outland (however i am in canada living with my boyfriend on a extended visitor visa) and we are applying as common law through the paris office ( i have spanish citizenship)

I was wondering if this thread is actually going to work just for help in filling applications since im reading a lot about ways to apply and other kind of questions. I think lleahdoll started this thread, so im wondering, is it working for you? should i just keep asking here any question i have about specific forms or is there any suggestions about how to actually get specific feedback on filling forms?

For example in form IM1344 in sponsor personal details question 8...if we are applying for common law, im guessing his current marital status is common law right? and the name of the current common law partner is myself? the person hes trying to sponsor?
now..in provide the date you entered into a the common law relationship?

i dont know if im missing something, but in instructions says "This is the date your status officially changed from being single to common-law, not the date you started living together."
but a common law parter is defined by them as "a person who is living in a conjugal relationship with another person (opposite or same sex), and has done so continuously for a period of at least one year"

so...the date we entered into a common law has to be the date we moved in together right?...or is it the date we started a relationship but we were not living in same city so cant be common law...

sorry for asking so much, hopefully this is the idea of the thread, some questions will be specific to cases but i guess some questions are going to be more general and apply to everyone. thanks!!!