+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any temporary worker in Quebec, but applying for Express Entry, join here.

lostinquebec

Feb 8, 2019
Hello,
I'm on the same boat, start working in November 2020 in Montreal. Living in Montreal. Want to go throught EE November 2021. Not sure how about the result, but as long as you can proof that you will leave quebec after getting PR, it should be fine. But i will try it.
At the same time i'm going to apply to CSQ, just in case if i get reject from EE.
IRCC and MIFI share information with each other. Having a CSQ will highly increase your chances of being rejected on EE application and IRCC will advice you to apply through QSWP.

Feb 13, 2021
Hello. I am currently working on closed work permit (with LMIA exemption) from Feb 2021 in Montreal. I did B.Tech and Ph.D. and don't have any other work experience. I enquired and found out that my Ph.D. can be considered both as highest degree and towards 4 years of work experience (few seniors said it's possible). So, I am planning to apply for EE and leave Quebec/show intention after I receive ITA. I have some friends in Vancouver but no job offers from elsewhere in Canada.

So, can anyone confirm/comment about the following:
1. Apply from Quebec (in current role) and need to move/show intention only after I get ITA?
2. Does my PhD can be considered both towards highest degree and work experience?
3. What can be the strong LOE in my case? - Showing my friends are in Vancouver (I'm not sure about other job offers)?
4. When will be the next possible draw for my case, as I don't qualify for CEC yet?

Any comments or suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance.

mars_mars

Star Member
May 14, 2021
Hello. I am currently working on closed work permit (with LMIA exemption) from Feb 2021 in Montreal. I did B.Tech and Ph.D. and don't have any other work experience. I enquired and found out that my Ph.D. can be considered both as highest degree and towards 4 years of work experience (few seniors said it's possible). So, I am planning to apply for EE and leave Quebec/show intention after I receive ITA. I have some friends in Vancouver but no job offers from elsewhere in Canada.

So, can anyone confirm/comment about the following:
1. Apply from Quebec (in current role) and need to move/show intention only after I get ITA?
2. Does my PhD can be considered both towards highest degree and work experience?
3. What can be the strong LOE in my case? - Showing my friends are in Vancouver (I'm not sure about other job offers)?
4. When will be the next possible draw for my case, as I don't qualify for CEC yet?

Any comments or suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance.
1. It's possible to apply for CEC from Quebec. No need to prove your intention at the phase of ITA.
2. No when it comes to CEC. You cannot count work experience you gained while enrolled as a full-time student https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=855&top=29
3. Best evidence is a job offer outside Quebec. The housing lease is good too. Showing some friends of yours does not help much.
4. Whenever you gain valid 1-year Canadian experience, and of course, IELTS with no band below 6.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021
1. It's possible to apply for CEC from Quebec. No need to prove your intention at the phase of ITA.
2. No when it comes to CEC. You cannot count work experience you gained while enrolled as a full-time student https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=855&top=29
3. Best evidence is a job offer outside Quebec. The housing lease is good too. Showing some friends of yours does not help much.
4. Whenever you gain valid 1-year Canadian experience, and of course, IELTS with no band below 6.

Feb 13, 2021
Thanks for your quick reply.
2. If I apply for EE (not CEC), then I think I can count my work experience while doing PhD. Though I heard mixed things, I heard from some that working as RA/TA during PhD can be counted towards work experience.
3. Do you mean I have to get a lease agreement outside Quebec? Just before I submit my documents (within 90 days of ITA), I sign a lease elsewhere and pay the rent is it? Since, I am on closed work permit I might not be able to move there though.
4. That's for CEC. Since, I currently do not qualify for CEC, when will be the normal Federal EE draw (tentatively)?

mars_mars

Star Member
May 14, 2021
Thanks for your quick reply.
2. If I apply for EE (not CEC), then I think I can count my work experience while doing PhD. Though I heard mixed things, I heard from some that working as RA/TA during PhD can be counted towards work experience.
3. Do you mean I have to get a lease agreement outside Quebec? Just before I submit my documents (within 90 days of ITA), I sign a lease elsewhere and pay the rent is it? Since, I am on closed work permit I might not be able to move there though.
4. That's for CEC. Since, I currently do not qualify for CEC, when will be the normal Federal EE draw (tentatively)?
2. In the link in my last post, it says that

To be considered under the Federal Skilled Worker Program:

Your work experience must have been full-time (or the equivalent in part-time hours), worked continuously and paid, for at least one year in the same occupation.

Could anyone work and study full-time at the same time? Further, to prove it as work exp, you may need to provide your employment letter, job offers, paystubs, and tax documents. It's up to you to claim or not. If you are confident to convince the officers, so go ahead.

3. You may need to sign a lease agreement outside QC and show that you have informed your current landlord about your leave. You must show you are really serious about moving outside QC. It's challenging to convince the officers.

4. No official information about it for now.

govanotiforever1987

Jan 15, 2020
Good day,

I recently received CSQ from Quebec and also I received ITA from entry express, the problem is that I have a closed work permit from a quebec employer until 2023 and In case if I want to continue with express entry how I may show to CIC that I have intentios to move outside of Quebec?

Thanks

Aman1212

Star Member
May 25, 2020
Good day,

I recently received CSQ from Quebec and also I received ITA from entry express, the problem is that I have a closed work permit from a quebec employer until 2023 and In case if I want to continue with express entry how I may show to CIC that I have intentios to move outside of Quebec?

Thanks
I guess if you have CSQ then in that case you either need to drop one of the way of getting PR

ex4edge

Feb 27, 2018
Hello, sorry for the late reply, this particular application got rejected cos I mistaken claimed 50 points with my Quebec job offer. i have reapplied since april this year. I am still living and working in Quebec. the only way i think i can convince the VO is for my wife to move to ottawa and get a job there cos she is on an open work permit. if i remember very well my CRS score was 450 and for the recent one is 485. what did you do? did you apply?
I have an ITA but have not applied yet- probably if my CSQ does not arrive in time- I have a parallel CSQ application

asadkhan_2

Star Member
Jan 23, 2021
Hi, I need a suggestion :
I am currently working in Quebec on a closed work permit with my family. I have Quebec Selection Certificates for me and family and I have applied two months before for PR under QSWP.

I know that it will take more than 2 years to get PR under QSWP I applied under CEC express entry and received invitation today . Now I am not sure if I accept my CEC invitation then being on closed work permit I can not move anywhere from Quebec until PR.

Do you think that I can stay here in Quebec until I receive PR or what are the possible options to move forward with express entry invitation.

Please let me know the best possible options in this regard.

Sundar2019

Star Member
Nov 18, 2019
Hi, I need a suggestion :
I am currently working in Quebec on a closed work permit with my family. I have Quebec Selection Certificates for me and family and I have applied two months before for PR under QSWP.

I know that it will take more than 2 years to get PR under QSWP I applied under CEC express entry and received invitation today . Now I am not sure if I accept my CEC invitation then being on closed work permit I can not move anywhere from Quebec until PR.

Do you think that I can stay here in Quebec until I receive PR or what are the possible options to move forward with express entry invitation.

Please let me know the best possible options in this regard.
In my understanding, as you are in an ICT visa, its gonna be difficult convincing CIC that you'd move out of QC, unless you have a job offer outside of QC. I'm pretty much on the same boat. I submitted my PR appln (QSWP) 7 months ago.

sharathsatheesh

Feb 22, 2018
Hello everyone,
I have been working in Quebec since 2018 on a closed work permit for a firm in Montreal. I dont have the B2 level in French for going through Quebec PNP. Recently, I got a job offer from an Ottawa based firm. I have signed the offer letter, but the LMIA application is taking longer than expected. I am still working for the Quebec firm and my work permit is valid till June 2022.
How can I proceed to apply for PR through the express entry program, can I do it if I move my residence to Ottawa?

Thanks in advance for all you inputs.

piyushpth

Star Member
Sep 15, 2016
In my understanding, as you are in an ICT visa, its gonna be difficult convincing CIC that you'd move out of QC, unless you have a job offer outside of QC. I'm pretty much on the same boat. I submitted my PR appln (QSWP) 7 months ago.
Hi Sundar, did you apply through online application?