+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ACCA-CGA/CPA Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA)

LadyMacbeth

Star Member
Feb 7, 2020
Upcoming proposed ACCA MRA with PBA-Canada (Professional Business Accountants) to be announced in the upcoming months.

I have been told by a reliable source that the MRA the ACCA has with the CGA will be cancelled. Any member of the ACCA who has the CGA from the MRA will need to tag their designation so employers know your education is not Canadian. Tagging will be CPAA-ACCA or CPAA (after the tagging period ends, where CPA is Chartered Professional Accountant, the extra "A" stands for Associate and will designate that you did not follow the CPA Process. CPA will have two classes of memberships one for members that actually worked for their CPA (including CA, CGA, CMA), and those that did not including ACCA. The Tagging will apply to MRAs that are dropping including the ACCA.

As well the reliable sources have also indicated ACCA-Canada is also in the mist of a new Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA) with PBA Canada (Professional Business Accountants) pba-canada.org to replace the current MRA with CGA. This will be announced once the current MRA with CGA expires. The PBA is an accredited accounting designation in Canada and has various networking activities that are of interest to foreign trained professionals you can contact them at 1-855-541-4703.

If you contact ACCA-Canada Offices at 1-888-801-0011 they may be able to provide details of the very exciting new proposed MRA if the details are public. If no details are in the public domain we may need to wait for more information.
I hardly see any of what you are saying has materialised and it is the end of 2020! True they are revisiting the MRA, but they are negotiating a new one, so it is not a cancellation per se... Furthermore, whoever obtained their CPA through ACCA can use the designation as if they have obtained it through the normal route. So could you please make sure that your sources are INDEED reliable next time you post information. And reliable here would probable mean either official ACCA or CPA website saying so and so.

Reactions: Andnaij

LadyMacbeth

Star Member
Feb 7, 2020
Hii,,
If you read the level of your ECA report, it is superior to ICAP package. When they evaluate it for immigration purpose, they evaluate your credentials at highest possible level , therefore, it can't be upgraded further. In this case you have to start a new application within same account, best way is to click upgrade report and then choose change the evaluation from document by document to course by course. This will take you to an option of start new application, click and fill the new application form as you did for ECA, unless you want to add additional / new qualification compared to your ECA application. While completing the application, it will ask your previous Wes report number which should be filled in by default if you started application from same account. Once you created application and paid for it, you will get a new Wes number with a message waiting for the documents. Now, you go to contact us and from the drop down menu in the subject select 'Transfer Documents' and in the text area provide your reference number and request them to transfer the documents. That's it!!
Just wait for couple of days your documents will be transferred to your new Wes account number, no need to send the documents again (If you are asking for the same credentials and not adding new one, otherwise your old documents will be transferred but you have to arrange documents for additional credential)
Regarding your old WES report, that will remain untouched with the same Wes number and with same details; if you want you can download it again. So don't worry..
I have done the above process and got my new WES report within 7 days and I am able to see both reports. I hope this helps you and others pursuing ECA to WES report..
Regards...
Thank you so much for the detailed answer, highly appreciated! I will follow the steps and try to get it done, my main concern was that my ECA report is gone from WES records because even if I have a copy of it, it has to be available on their records. Emailed WES but they did not respond so far, yet CPA ontario respond within the same day, i am impressed!

Reactions: Fhussain

Fhussain

Star Member
Nov 28, 2017
Thank you so much for the detailed answer, highly appreciated! I will follow the steps and try to get it done, my main concern was that my ECA report is gone from WES records because even if I have a copy of it, it has to be available on their records. Emailed WES but they did not respond so far, yet CPA ontario respond within the same day, i am impressed!
My pleasure... Just be assured that your old report will remain there and IRCC can verify it..

Reactions: LadyMacbeth

GaryChapman VP

Mar 24, 2020
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
Hii,,
If you read the level of your ECA report, it is superior to ICAP package. When they evaluate it for immigration purpose, they evaluate your credentials at highest possible level , therefore, it can't be upgraded further. In this case you have to start a new application within same account, best way is to click upgrade report and then choose change the evaluation from document by document to course by course. This will take you to an option of start new application, click and fill the new application form as you did for ECA, unless you want to add additional / new qualification compared to your ECA application. While completing the application, it will ask your previous Wes report number which should be filled in by default if you started application from same account. Once you created application and paid for it, you will get a new Wes number with a message waiting for the documents. Now, you go to contact us and from the drop down menu in the subject select 'Transfer Documents' and in the text area provide your reference number and request them to transfer the documents. That's it!!
Just wait for couple of days your documents will be transferred to your new Wes account number, no need to send the documents again (If you are asking for the same credentials and not adding new one, otherwise your old documents will be transferred but you have to arrange documents for additional credential)
Regarding your old WES report, that will remain untouched with the same Wes number and with same details; if you want you can download it again. So don't worry..
I have done the above process and got my new WES report within 7 days and I am able to see both reports. I hope this helps you and others pursuing ECA to WES report..
Regards...
Thanks mate this helps me too!

GaryChapman VP

Mar 24, 2020
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
My pleasure... Just be assured that your old report will remain there and IRCC can verify it..
Bro could you help guide me through the application on WES. The one for immigration was done by my consultant so I’m fairly new to this.
I’ve clicked on upgrade report to standard course by course. Purpose I’ve selected is licensing - accounting and finance related fields.
When I come to the end of my application it asks the mailing option to recipients, i.e. me and CPA via standard or international courier. I cannot see that it is delivered to CPA electronically anywhere. From what I understand it is to be made available for CPAs electronic access correct?

Fhussain

Star Member
Nov 28, 2017
Bro could you help guide me through the application on WES. The one for immigration was done by my consultant so I’m fairly new to this.
I’ve clicked on upgrade report to standard course by course. Purpose I’ve selected is licensing - accounting and finance related fields.
When I come to the end of my application it asks the mailing option to recipients, i.e. me and CPA via standard or international courier. I cannot see that it is delivered to CPA electronically anywhere. From what I understand it is to be made available for CPAs electronic access correct?
Your other steps are correct. Regarding mailing option (For CPA-Ontario) you need to ensure that you have selected the recipient from the list and not added CPA manually as by adding manually CPA-Ontario will not be able to view it online; below is the quote of CPA-Ontario requirement of WES report:
"Original World Education Services (WES) credential evaluation report through their International Credential Advantage Package (ICAP) for your University Degree(s). This must be provided electronically to CPA Ontario via Access WES, their secure online delivery system. To ensure CPA Ontario can view your WES report online, please add us as a recipient. To add us as a recipient you must enter ‘Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario’ in the Institution or Company field on the WES site – do not manually add our address details as it will not be recognized in Access WES and we will not have access to your report. "

Moving forward, my Wes delivery section for this report is showing below text:

"Due to the pandemic, it is taking longer than usual to mail physical copies of credential evaluation reports. The "Sent Date" currently reflects the date upon which your report was complete. However, it might take a few additional days for us to mail the printed report. If your recipient has partnered with us to receive digital documents, then they have already been sent an official copy of your report. Thank you for your patience. "

As CPA-Ontario has partnered to receive e-copy there is no need to ask for it, you only need to make sure you are selecting it from list because the recipient in the list are registered with WES to receive e-copy.
Hope this helps you..

Reactions: GaryChapman VP

GaryChapman VP

Mar 24, 2020
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
Your other steps are correct. Regarding mailing option (For CPA-Ontario) you need to ensure that you have selected the recipient from the list and not added CPA manually as by adding manually CPA-Ontario will not be able to view it online; below is the quote of CPA-Ontario requirement of WES report:
"Original World Education Services (WES) credential evaluation report through their International Credential Advantage Package (ICAP) for your University Degree(s). This must be provided electronically to CPA Ontario via Access WES, their secure online delivery system. To ensure CPA Ontario can view your WES report online, please add us as a recipient. To add us as a recipient you must enter ‘Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario’ in the Institution or Company field on the WES site – do not manually add our address details as it will not be recognized in Access WES and we will not have access to your report. "

Moving forward, my Wes delivery section for this report is showing below text:

"Due to the pandemic, it is taking longer than usual to mail physical copies of credential evaluation reports. The "Sent Date" currently reflects the date upon which your report was complete. However, it might take a few additional days for us to mail the printed report. If your recipient has partnered with us to receive digital documents, then they have already been sent an official copy of your report. Thank you for your patience. "

As CPA-Ontario has partnered to receive e-copy there is no need to ask for it, you only need to make sure you are selecting it from list because the recipient in the list are registered with WES to receive e-copy.
Hope this helps you..
Got it. Thanks so much mate

GaryChapman VP

Mar 24, 2020
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
Did you get it done already? I still have not done it been a bit busy.. how does your account look now that you have “upgraded”? Can you view your old ECA report at this stage?
Yes it does work as @Fhussain suggested. My old report shows as complete and the new upgrade report (with new number) shows as in process. I am able to access my old report. I did not however, ask them to transfer documents as when I applied it already shows “we are analyzing your documents, you don’t need to do anything at this stage”, so by default i guess if you’re upgrading the report with the same credentials, they will using your old docs.

LadyMacbeth

Star Member
Feb 7, 2020
Yes it does work as @Fhussain suggested. My old report shows as complete and the new upgrade report (with new number) shows as in process. I am able to access my old report. I did not however, ask them to transfer documents as when I applied it already shows “we are analyzing your documents, you don’t need to do anything at this stage”, so by default i guess if you’re upgrading the report with the same credentials, they will using your old docs.
Thank you both so much! @Fhussain was indeed incredibly helpful, special thanks to him.

By any chance you ordered the tax and law course already? Any idea how long our access lasts? I wanted to order it now because there is a discount on it, only problem I have an exam early dec so won't be able to study until after my exam.. Wanted to make sure the access will last.

Also curious, did you apply to CPA ontario or BC? Because these are the only two provinces that allow entry from outside canada.

Reactions: Fhussain

GaryChapman VP

Mar 24, 2020
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
Thank you both so much! @Fhussain was indeed incredibly helpful, special thanks to him.

By any chance you ordered the tax and law course already? Any idea how long our access lasts? I wanted to order it now because there is a discount on it, only problem I have an exam early dec so won't be able to study until after my exam.. Wanted to make sure the access will last.

Also curious, did you apply to CPA ontario or BC? Because these are the only two provinces that allow entry from outside canada.
There won’t be any time limits to your access. Once you buy the course you can access it at any time. If you sit straight for a day and a half, it’s doable.

I will be applying to Ontario as I hope to settle there. Well that is if all goes well with my application :).

LadyMacbeth

Star Member
Feb 7, 2020
There won’t be any time limits to your access. Once you buy the course you can access it at any time. If you sit straight for a day and a half, it’s doable.

I will be applying to Ontario as I hope to settle there. Well that is if all goes well with my application :).
Thank you :) I bought it a while back. Seems simple enough. I prefer videos though.
Good luck with your application! I also got Ontario nomination and will settle there. they were very smooth and quick in their evaluation. Also my PR application was such a smooth process and very quick. If papers are complete, I am sure all will go well!

Reactions: GaryChapman VP

GaryChapman VP

Mar 24, 2020
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
Thank you :) I bought it a while back. Seems simple enough. I prefer videos though.
Good luck with your application! I also got Ontario nomination and will settle there. they were very smooth and quick in their evaluation. Also my PR application was such a smooth process and very quick. If papers are complete, I am sure all will go well!
Yea it can be a drag because it’s just a lot to read. Fortunately you can attempt the test any number of times :D.

Thank you. It’s been a month after I gave my biometrics so I feel there’s nothing to be worried.

LadyMacbeth

Star Member
Feb 7, 2020
Yea it can be a drag because it’s just a lot to read. Fortunately you can attempt the test any number of times :D.

Thank you. It’s been a month after I gave my biometrics so I feel there’s nothing to be worried.
Definitely seems going well! Best of luck to you indeed.

MinhLe

Nov 16, 2020
Hi Everyone, I have a maybe-out-of-topic question. I understand the CPA, CGA (obtaining through MRA with ACCA) can't practice in audit compared to CPA, CA (through CPA process).
1. Is there any other differences between the two designations? Do you know if there's a pathway so you can "upgrade" your CPA, CGA to a full CPA?
2. Same question for the CPA, CMA and a full CPA degsignation. I have very little knowledge of CPA, CMA.

Thanks,