+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ACCA-CGA/CPA Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA)

LadyMacbeth

Star Member
Feb 7, 2020
Hi Everyone, I have a maybe-out-of-topic question. I understand the CPA, CGA (obtaining through MRA with ACCA) can't practice in audit compared to CPA, CA (through CPA process).
1. Is there any other differences between the two designations? Do you know if there's a pathway so you can "upgrade" your CPA, CGA to a full CPA?
2. Same question for the CPA, CMA and a full CPA degsignation. I have very little knowledge of CPA, CMA.

Thanks,
I don’t know what you mean upgrade CPA, CGA to a full CPA. I don’t believe there is any difference in the designation we are getting through MRA as compared to the normal route to CPA CGA. I did not see any official statement to the contrary, if you have one, please post it for our benefit. To be able to practice, you always need to get a practicing license/certificate whether you obtained your CPA through the normal route or theough MRA. Same goes for ACCA. I am a member but i cannot practice unless i get a practicing certificate ‍

MinhLe

Nov 16, 2020
I don’t know what you mean upgrade CPA, CGA to a full CPA. I don’t believe there is any difference in the designation we are getting through MRA as compared to the normal route to CPA CGA. I did not see any official statement to the contrary, if you have one, please post it for our benefit. To be able to practice, you always need to get a practicing license/certificate whether you obtained your CPA through the normal route or theough MRA. Same goes for ACCA. I am a member but i cannot practice unless i get a practicing certificate ‍
These are the document that I've read. Please review and correct me if I misunderstand anything.

http://www.accaglobal.com/content/dam/ACCA_Global/Members/Doc/cpd/FAQs-for-CGAs.pdf
https://www.cpacanada.ca/-/media/site/operational/ec-education-certification/docs/00792-ec-member-bridging-requirements-factsheet.pdf?la=en&hash=7054607277AB62364807C613E81AF1389DB66D13

LadyMacbeth

Star Member
Feb 7, 2020
I am a bit busy this period of time so I will go through the document at another time. However, unless there is a clear statement that says you do not qualify to get a practicing license if you got your cpa through an MRA, I don't believe there is any distinction between MRA and normal route. Normal practice is that getting membership of an accounting body is not enough to be able to practice and sign audit reports. Doesn't have to do with how you got the membership

Reactions: suresh320

MinhLe

Nov 16, 2020
Thanks for your answer. I'm considering obtaining the CPA through MRA. This is one of my concerns besides the MRA expiring in April, 2021.

Reactions: LadyMacbeth

GaryChapman VP

Mar 24, 2020
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
Hey @Fhussain , have you completed your MRA application? I’m currently proceeding through each of the application tabs and seem stuck at Education. A question - for your bachelors degree, when you’ve filled out the degree details, they have a checkbox for “I have requested transcripts and my university will send this information to CPA”. Do they expect the university to send them transcripts?

I couldn’t find any field here to provide linkage with the ECA done by WES. Where is this information to be filled?

Advice would be much appreciated.

Fhussain

Star Member
Nov 28, 2017
Hey @Fhussain , have you completed your MRA application? I’m currently proceeding through each of the application tabs and seem stuck at Education. A question - for your bachelors degree, when you’ve filled out the degree details, they have a checkbox for “I have requested transcripts and my university will send this information to CPA”. Do they expect the university to send them transcripts?

I couldn’t find any field here to provide linkage with the ECA done by WES. Where is this information to be filled?

Advice would be much appreciated.
Hii,
Yes I have completed the application. You don't need to check this box since you have not requested and it is not required anymore. They have not updated their application form though they now need WES ICAP report. I have also checked with CPA Ontario regarding this, they only advised not to check this option and proceed.
Regarding ECA, again I would mention they have not updated their application form so unfortunately you cannot upload this information in the application form. WES needs to mention your CPAOID, I hope you have provided in WES application in the delivery section.
Once you complete the form you will receive an email in couple of days from CPA Ontario asking you to upload your documents using link in the email, you can upload your WES report there(as I did).

Reactions: GaryChapman VP

GaryChapman VP

Mar 24, 2020
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
Hii,
Yes I have completed the application. You don't need to check this box since you have not requested and it is not required anymore. They have not updated their application form though they now need WES ICAP report. I have also checked with CPA Ontario regarding this, they only advised not to check this option and proceed.
Regarding ECA, again I would mention they have not updated their application form so unfortunately you cannot upload this information in the application form. WES needs to mention your CPAOID, I hope you have provided in WES application in the delivery section.
Once you complete the form you will receive an email in couple of days from CPA Ontario asking you to upload your documents using link in the email, you can upload your WES report there(as I did).
Thanks for your swift response bud.

I see... but unfortunately I didn’t mention my CPA ID on my WES report. There’s a way I can update that however right?

Also for ACCA emailing the transcripts and Letter, isn’t it to be done to itaregistration@cpaontario.ca?

Fhussain

Star Member
Nov 28, 2017
Thanks for your swift response bud.

I see... but unfortunately I didn’t mention my CPA ID on my WES report. There’s a way I can update that however right?

Also for ACCA emailing the transcripts and Letter, isn’t it to be done to itaregistration@cpaontario.ca?
Yes, your CPAOID has to be mentioned on all communications done by 3rd party (ACCA & WES). If you did not mention it to ACCA then its not that difficult as you can request them again. In case of WES, you can request another copy to be delivered to CPA Ontario providing your ID or once you complete your application for CPA, and you receive email subsequently to upload your documents upload your WES report as well which they can verify through online account.

Reactions: GaryChapman VP

LadyMacbeth

Star Member
Feb 7, 2020
Yes, your CPAOID has to be mentioned on all communications done by 3rd party (ACCA & WES). If you did not mention it to ACCA then its not that difficult as you can request them again. In case of WES, you can request another copy to be delivered to CPA Ontario providing your ID or once you complete your application for CPA, and you receive email subsequently to upload your documents upload your WES report as well which they can verify through online account.
I have a question.. Did you fill this form "Practical Experience Certification Form" when you submitted your supporting docs through email? I am just surprised, the application says that I need to fill it for every employer, yet the list of docs here https://www.cpaontario.ca/become-a-cpa/why-cpa/internationally-trained-accountants/acca-and-cga-canada-mutual-recognition-agreement does not mention this form..

The other thing is that I added two employers in addition to my current employer, yet they don't appear on the application! Only my current employer which I marked as primary appears under the section "employment" .. Did you experience something similar?

Thank you so much again!

cooolideal

Jul 2, 2014
I m ACCA affiliate and as per WES my degree is equivalent to Canadian four year bachelor degree major in accounting now unfortunately WES doesn't recognized The Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Pakistan (ICPAP) for PGD....Is it possible to evaluate PGD by IQAS or CES? one Evaluation from WES & other from CES/IQAS? Can gain point as two or more degree / certificate?

Canada-bound

Dec 15, 2017
I have a question.. Did you fill this form "Practical Experience Certification Form" when you submitted your supporting docs through email? I am just surprised, the application says that I need to fill it for every employer, yet the list of docs here https://www.cpaontario.ca/become-a-cpa/why-cpa/internationally-trained-accountants/acca-and-cga-canada-mutual-recognition-agreement does not mention this form..

The other thing is that I added two employers in addition to my current employer, yet they don't appear on the application! Only my current employer which I marked as primary appears under the section "employment" .. Did you experience something similar?

Thank you so much again!
It may not be necessary, as it is not listed as one of the required docs for the mra.

Fhussain

Star Member
Nov 28, 2017

Thank you so much again!
Hiii
Yes I did fill the form, there is no mention of it in the list but while filing the form it asks for it. What I have understood from online search, to become CPA member you need to develop expertise is certain areas which you need to prove while applying for membership (Student route or MRA route). Therefore, I would advise you to fill and submit the form to avoid delay in the process.

Yes, you have to fill separate form for each employer and it shows primary employer in the list. You need to submit your detailed CV as well..
I hope this helps...

Reactions: LadyMacbeth

GaryChapman VP

Mar 24, 2020
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
Hiii
Yes I did fill the form, there is no mention of it in the list but while filing the form it asks for it. What I have understood from online search, to become CPA member you need to develop expertise is certain areas which you need to prove while applying for membership (Student route or MRA route). Therefore, I would advise you to fill and submit the form to avoid delay in the process.

Yes, you have to fill separate form for each employer and it shows primary employer in the list. You need to submit your detailed CV as well..
I hope this helps...
Oh hey I gave in my application and didn’t submit those forms. Do you think it’ll be a problem?