+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2021-Study permit approved, waiting for SOWP

Sad93

Star Member
Jul 31, 2020
SP and SOWP are processed separately because they are different permits and you often hear about the results at different times. OWP are not guaranteed for spouses of international students. It says you can apply which many people misinterpret that spouses of international students will be approved. It is about 50/50. Chances increase for more advanced degrees like masters and PhDs.
I never said that they have to issue the visa for my spouse, but at least they can give us an answer, approved or refused! We are wainting for about 5 month now and I have to travel in 2 weeks! I wrote in my LOE and webforms that I don't want to travel alone and if you don't issue the visa for my spouse I will never travel to Canada but still no answer. Now I have to ask for a refund from my college and this is frustrating.

Noramama

Dec 15, 2020
Hello all, I am a Danish citizen and applied for study permit on August 18th. I receivedmy final approval few days ago and now I am ready to go to Canada. My spouse (non-EU) has applied for SOWP at the same time with me but we still did not receive any update on his application (not even about starting review of eligibility) which is really frustrating! I sent a webform and they told me that his application is under process. I was wondering if it is normal that they are processing our applications seperately and is there any chance that he does not get his approval before January when I have to move to Canada? I also asked for GCSM notes last month and did not receive any response. Do you have any suggestions for us? Because we have two cats and I can not travel alone with them. :D
Hi
I’m in the same boat, I applied with my husband together in July from USA, my husband’s sp was approved last month but no update about my sowp, we have a baby and a cat so we have to move together

_denise

Aug 27, 2019
Hello all, I am a Danish citizen and applied for study permit on August 18th. I receivedmy final approval few days ago and now I am ready to go to Canada. My spouse (non-EU) has applied for SOWP at the same time with me but we still did not receive any update on his application (not even about starting review of eligibility) which is really frustrating! I sent a webform and they told me that his application is under process. I was wondering if it is normal that they are processing our applications seperately and is there any chance that he does not get his approval before January when I have to move to Canada? I also asked for GCSM notes last month and did not receive any response. Do you have any suggestions for us? Because we have two cats and I can not travel alone with them. :D
Hi Sad93. My husband and I are in the same situation. I got SP approval on November and haven’t heard anything regarding SOWP. Did you guys receive a response yet? Best of luck to you both

Sad93

Star Member
Jul 31, 2020
Hi Sad93. My husband and I are in the same situation. I got SP approval on November and haven’t heard anything regarding SOWP. Did you guys receive a response yet? Best of luck to you both
Hi, unfortunately nothing yet! We got multiple status updated on his application in the past week but nothing has changed on his application! Iam thinking about deffering my offer as I am unable to travel alone as we have two cats and a lot of stuff :(

_denise

Aug 27, 2019
Hi, unfortunately nothing yet! We got multiple status updated on his application in the past week but nothing has changed on his application! Iam thinking about deffering my offer as I am unable to travel alone as we have two cats and a lot of stuff :(
Same here... sending my best and will keep you posted in case we have updates :)

Reactions: Sad93

nataliamia

May 23, 2021
Hello! I am in the same situation I would like to know what happened ?? Did you get his approval too?

nataliamia

May 23, 2021
Hi Sad93,

Congratulations and we are exactly in the same situation as you. We are also from an eTA eligible country and I am still waiting on the SOWP approval and SP's for my kids.

It is so frustrating! I have seen SP and SOWP being approved at the same time but non-Canadian IRCC offices.

We have Edmonton/Ottawa as our Primary/Secondary,

How about you?

scaria197
My SP is approved and my spouse not yet

nataliamia

May 23, 2021
Did you get his approval?

_denise

Aug 27, 2019
Hi everyone, quick and happy update, my husband received his SOWP approval a while back! I’ll leave the timeline here:
- March 16, 2020: applied for my study permit and his spousal open work permit, together
[pandemic — all biometric centers closed]
- November 24, 2020: we both gave our biometrics
- November 30, 2020: my SP was approved
- March 12, 2021: his SOWP was approved
- March 15, 2021: sent his passport for stamping
- April 5, 2021: got his stamped passport back
- April 17, 2021: we both travelled to Canada

Note: I’m Mexican and already had my eTA, so I didn’t need a passport stamp or anything else.

Best of luck to you all!

Last edited:

nataliamia

May 23, 2021
Hi everyone, quick and happy update, my husband received his SOWP approval a while back! I’ll leave the timeline here:
- March 16, 2020: applied for my study permit and his spousal open work permit, together
[pandemic — all biometric centers closed]
- November 24, 2020: we both gave our biometrics
- November 30, 2020: my SP was approved
- March 12, 2021: his SOWP was approved
- March 15, 2021: sent his passport for stamping
- April 5, 2021: got his stamped passport back
- April 17, 2021: we both travelled fo Canada

Note: I’m Mexican and already had my eTA, so I didn’t need a passport stamp or anything else.

Best of luck to you all!
Denise!
I am Mexican as well and my husband is Moroccan and I think your husband is foreigner too . We live in Mexico . Thank you for your response. I have a question : what happened when you got your SP approved in November and not response for him until March? Did you defer your intake?
I am starting classes on Sept and I don’t know how long should we wait .
thanks in advance

_denise

Aug 27, 2019
Denise!
I am Mexican as well and my husband is Moroccan and I think your husband is foreigner too . We live in Mexico . Thank you for your response. I have a question : what happened when you got your SP approved in November and not response for him until March? Did you defer your intake?
I am starting classes on Sept and I don’t know how long should we wait .
thanks in advance
Hi! Yes, my husband is Colombian and we lived in Mexico too. My program started in January 2021. It is usually in-person, but due to the pandemic it has been completely online, and will continue that way probably until September. So I started online from abroad and then arrived in Canada and continued here.

If his permit doesn't get approved you could defer, or you could travel alone first and then he can join you. I've heard it is easier if you travel together but I believe it's also possible to travel separately; I think he needs written permission to travel by himself later, but it is possible. I would look into it more in depth in the Canadian government webpage because I'm not too informed about that option.

Let me know if you have more doubts!

nataliamia

May 23, 2021
Hi! Yes, my husband is Colombian and we lived in Mexico too. My program started in January 2021. It is usually in-person, but due to the pandemic it has been completely online, and will continue that way probably until September. So I started online from abroad and then arrived in Canada and continued here.

If his permit doesn't get approved you could defer, or you could travel alone first and then he can join you. I've heard it is easier if you travel together but I believe it's also possible to travel separately; I think he needs written permission to travel by himself later, but it is possible. I would look into it more in depth in the Canadian government webpage because I'm not too informed about that option.

Let me know if you have more doubts!
Hi Denise!
Thank you for your response, is there any way I could contact you? 9984800894 if you can send me a WhatsApp.
thank you

NP8994

Star Member
Jul 31, 2021
Thank you su much. I just wanted to know if its is normal and happened to some other people too. Because I was reading the forum and didn't see any similar case as ours. All of the people wrote that their applications processed together but you are right, our case in special as the nationality of my spouse is different than mine
How long it take for your spouse to receive approval I am in the same situation. My spouse study permit approved but mine sowp still showing submitted