+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2021-Study permit approved, waiting for SOWP

Mia93

Nov 23, 2023
Hello all, I am a Danish citizen and applied for study permit on August 18th. I receivedmy final approval few days ago and now I am ready to go to Canada. My spouse (non-EU) has applied for SOWP at the same time with me but we still did not receive any update on his application (not even about starting review of eligibility) which is really frustrating! I sent a webform and they told me that his application is under process. I was wondering if it is normal that they are processing our applications seperately and is there any chance that he does not get his approval before January when I have to move to Canada? I also asked for GCSM notes last month and did not receive any response. Do you have any suggestions for us? Because we have two cats and I can not travel alone with them. :D
Hi, I know this thread was posted a long time ago. Would you mind sharing the update regarding your spouse's OWP? I have a similar situation. I applied for SP together with my husband OWP on 25 Oct 2023. He did his biometric on 27 Oct (I already did mine for my previous visit visa). Later on 15 Nov, I received notification for IME, and I did my IME on 16 Nov. However, until now we haven't received any notification for my husband's application, either for IME or a request for more documents or information. I am a little bit worried as I can not travel to Canada without my husband although my visa is still not confirmed yet. Thank you

Last edited:

Mia93

Nov 23, 2023
Our timeline:
14.10.21 both applied: my wife for SP and me for SOWP;
17.10.21 both biometric collection;
9.12.21 both request letter for police certificate;
17.12.21 my wife got an approval for SP;
24.12.21 my wife got a stamp on her passport;
14.01.22 my wife went to study in Canada;
27.01.22 I received an approval for SOWP;
8.02.22 I got a stamp (visa) on my passport;
16.02.22 I arrived to Canada to my wife.
Hi Rus-Mur,

Did they ask you to do a Medical Exam?

ndfls

Nov 29, 2023
Hi, I know this thread was posted a long time ago. Would you mind sharing the update regarding your spouse's OWP? I have a similar situation. I applied for SP together with my husband OWP on 25 Oct 2023. He did his biometric on 27 Oct (I already did mine for my previous visit visa). Later on 15 Nov, I received notification for IME, and I did my IME on 16 Nov. However, until now we haven't received any notification for my husband's application, either for IME or a request for more documents or information. I am a little bit worried as I can not travel to Canada without my husband although my visa is still not confirmed yet. Thank you
Hi! I'm on the same situation as you are now. Can you share about your current SP and SOWP status?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi! I'm on the same situation as you are now. Can you share about your current SP and SOWP status?
SP and SOWP aren’t always processed at the same time. There is nothing you can do. If your SP is approved then you decide whether to travel without spouse or defer your studies. Processing depends on where you are living.

ndfls

Nov 29, 2023
SP and SOWP aren’t always processed at the same time. There is nothing you can do. If your SP is approved then you decide whether to travel without spouse or defer your studies. Processing depends on where you are living.
Thank you for the insight! I'll go without my spouse because I'm enrolled in January classes.

People from my place usually get approved almost the same time, I don't know what's wrong with ours, that's sad :(

franalmeida900

Star Member
Mar 16, 2023
Thank you for the insight! I'll go without my spouse because I'm enrolled in January classes.

People from my place usually get approved almost the same time, I don't know what's wrong with ours, that's sad :(
SP and SOWP would be completely different timelines I’m assuming since they are different applications! In terms of how long the process might take, I saw a few SOWP applications being tracked on this tracker, maybe it can help you better understand how long your process might take?

https://myimmitracker.com/en/ca/trackers/consolidated-work-permits-tracker

wa240552

Jan 19, 2024
Please tell me what should I do??.

Me and my wife applied in August 2023
We both gave biometric in August 2023
In September I got the study permit
But unfortunately after two months my wife got the letter from ircc in October that her biometric will be needed again

So she gave biometric again in October( 2 month wasted)

Her biometric updated in November
And since then nothing has changed......

I moved to Canada in December 2023 alone but can't tell you how its hard to live alone here especially when you have a child..........

We applied in SDS category so that we will get visa easily but see what happened with us.

Please tell me how much I have to wait to get decision from ircc ???

wa240552

Jan 19, 2024

Any update regarding your sowp??

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Please tell me what should I do??.

Me and my wife applied in August 2023
We both gave biometric in August 2023
In September I got the study permit
But unfortunately after two months my wife got the letter from ircc in October that her biometric will be needed again

So she gave biometric again in October( 2 month wasted)

Her biometric updated in November
And since then nothing has changed......

I moved to Canada in December 2023 alone but can't tell you how its hard to live alone here especially when you have a child..........

We applied in SDS category so that we will get visa easily but see what happened with us.

Please tell me how much I have to wait to get decision from ircc ???
You applied SDS but hers can be processed separately for SOWP. So you have the child with you? Where does she live because processing times can be long.

wa240552

Jan 19, 2024
You applied SDS but hers can be processed separately for SOWP. So you have the child with you? Where does she live because processing times can be long.
Brother we both are from Pakistan and my child's visa still in process ......

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Brother we both are from Pakistan and my child's visa still in process ......
Who is “brother”? So wife and child’s visa are still in process. They have different visa types so may be processed at different times. How old is child? If school age then child should have a study permit.