+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2021-Study permit approved, waiting for SOWP

BellaPTX

Jul 10, 2021
I feel terrible that I let my wife go alone to an unfamiliar country on the other side of the world, while I'm waiting for a "miracle" from the immigration officers to approve my SOWP ... I don't even want to think about being refused ... anyway, thanks for sharing your situation with us. I hope everything will be ok
I felt highly stressed for 4-5 months from the day my husband study permit was approved and we prayed for a miracle that we could travel together. I raised 5-6 webforms to push IRCC but received auto-reply only.:confused:

Hope they will find a way to reduce backlog soon.

TubaZ

Feb 23, 2021
Hey guys, I'm in the same boat as you all I applied for my SP and Husbands OWP in April 2021 and been in Canada for 4 months still waiting on Spouses decision. It's been over 9 months now. Please share any updates you guys receive or any alternatives we have here.

Reactions: RumezaJ

Rus-Mur

Dec 30, 2021
Hey guys, I'm in the same boat as you all I applied for my SP and Husbands OWP in April 2021 and been in Canada for 4 months still waiting on Spouses decision. It's been over 9 months now. Please share any updates you guys receive or any alternatives we have here.
Hi TubaZ, I have not received any response yet. 4+months after I applied for SOWP. My wife has left to study 2 weeks ago. I am still waiting... Where are you from? And where is your spouse from?

Last edited:

zwttrn

Jan 28, 2022
Is it possible to enter Canada with an eTA If your SOWP is still in process but your spouse has his SP approved?

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
Is it possible to enter Canada with an eTA If your SOWP is still in process but your spouse has his SP approved?
That's a great point... in theory, if your spouse received a Study Permit and your SOWP is still being processed and you are from an ETA elegible country, you could enter with your ETA to Canada. Don´t see why you would be refused to enter if traveling under an approved ETA.

TubaZ

Feb 23, 2021
Hi TubaZ, I have not received any response yet. 4+months after I applied for SOWP. My wife has left to study 2 weeks ago. I am still waiting... Where are you from? And where is your spouse from?
We're from Pakistan.

Rus-Mur

Dec 30, 2021
Congratulations.. Can you please share timeline?
Our timeline:
14.10.21 both applied: my wife for SP and me for SOWP;
17.10.21 both biometric collection;
9.12.21 both request letter for police certificate;
17.12.21 my wife got an approval for SP;
24.12.21 my wife got a stamp on her passport;
14.01.22 my wife went to study in Canada;
27.01.22 I received an approval for SOWP;
8.02.22 I got a stamp (visa) on my passport;
16.02.22 I arrived to Canada to my wife.

sangram82

Nov 17, 2014
one query . my wife applied for SP in Feb 2022 for Sep intake, her Sp is still in process . Can i apply SOWP in parallel . Can any body please clarify .

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
one query . my wife applied for SP in Feb 2022 for Sep intake, her Sp is still in process . Can i apply SOWP in parallel . Can any body please clarify .
Why didn't you apply with your wife? If I'm not mistaken, IRCC states that if you wish to accompany your spouse, you should apply together. I've heard of cases where partners do not apply together. The student applies first and then the spouse applies for an OWP once the spouse receives his / her study permit. If you apply separately before your spouse receives a Study Permit, I don't know how you can back up your request since your partner still doesn't have a permit that would give you the right to apply for an OWP.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Why didn't you apply with your wife? If I'm not mistaken, IRCC states that if you wish to accompany your spouse, you should apply together. I've heard of cases where partners do not apply together. The student applies first and then the spouse applies for an OWP once the spouse receives his / her study permit. If you apply separately before your spouse receives a Study Permit, I don't know how you can back up your request since your partner still doesn't have a permit that would give you the right to apply for an OWP.
It is not mandated to apply "together". Poster can apply at any time even when main applicant's application is in progress.

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
It is not mandated to apply "together". Poster can apply at any time even when main applicant's application is in progress.
As far as I know, it's not mandated to apply together but it's recomended. I've heard of cases on this forum where the student applied alone and after being granted a study permit, their spouse applies and receives a refusal.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
As far as I know, it's not mandated to apply together but it's recomended. I've heard of cases on this forum where the student applied alone and after being granted a study permit, their spouse applies and receives a refusal.
But reason for the refusal is not “they did not apply together”…. If you read guidelines there is no such “recommended” in a guideline or no such reasons under 216 sub a-e