+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2020 applicants with Background verification- In Progress

Canadiann2020

Star Member
Dec 24, 2020
Reactions: novascotia27
Dec 4, 2020
@citizenship.enthusiast I don't think CBSA will provide you details on background check, shouldn't this be CSIS (Security) and RCMP (Criminality) ATIP?

Does anyone know if there is a backlog in Fingerprint Request at Vancouver office, one thing I don't understand is that some applicants from Late 2020 and eary 2021 are getting their FP request.
Yes, but CBSA also does screening and provide records of entry/exit to CIC in addition to CSIS report. Overall, I just want to completely understand their process so I am curiously waiting to see what records I receive from CBSA.

Dec 4, 2020
I'm going to send ATIP to RCMP as well. This is ridiculous to wait for so long just for Criminality check. I understand if it's security check it's a matter of concern but for RCMP shouldn't be that long. Quite a few 2021 applicants are done with Oath ceremony and we are still talking about initial checks then wait another 90 days for test invite. Bullshit!
RCMP technically has no role other than providing a certified criminal record check. If you are trying to confirm if they have transmitted the information to CIC you can email RCMP at ccrtis-scictr@rcmp-grc.gc.ca with your DCN.

Optional: Verify the status of your application
Canadian Criminal Real Time Identification Services (CCRTIS) receives a high volume of requests and replies to them in the order they are received. Contact us only if your application has taken longer than the processing times indicated. Provide the following information:

• Your full name
  • Your date of birth
  • The date your application was submitted to CCRTIS
  • Provide the reason for the criminal record check and specify if the application is for a vulnerable sector check
  • A phone number where you can be reached on weekdays during the day
  • The document control number (DCN), if available

And, if you still decide to submit an ATIP request to RCMP, they are by no means better than CIC. Lol. I have an ATIP request with RCMP which is over 60 days now - beyond the additional 30 days granted to them. I have made a complaint to the privacy commissioner and yet to hear anything back from either them or RCMP-ATIP office.
Note: My RCMP ATIP request was not related to immigration information.

JustCitizen

May 26, 2021
I just called IRCC, luckily agent was so nice and understanding. He said, everything is done and you should be expecting oath soon. I said, but on the tracker I still see my BC is 'in progress' then he said ok wait let me check again and then he said "Ohhh, ya , sorry , your criminality is renewed but security is still pending". So I guess they have a different database/system where security clearance is updated. Then I asked how long it should take for my BC, any idea ?he said maybe "couple of months".

• Wow
Reactions: Jamiez04

umanitoba

May 30, 2015
Anyone who recently got his/her background verification completed after being stuck with it for long time, please share your timeline ? I have seen some 2018/2019 posts where average background verification took 6-7 months but there is no such data for 2020/2021, so thought maybe it will be good if we can share how much time CSIS is currently taking to do BC or if there is any backlog there due to COVID.
Yes, but CBSA also does screening and provide records of entry/exit to CIC in addition to CSIS report. Overall, I just want to completely understand their process so I am curiously waiting to see what records I receive from CBSA.
I think based on the IRCC manuals, security clearance is issued. CBSA is responsible for security screening of TR and PR applications which often first goes through csis and then cbsa sends the final report to ircc. For citizenship seems only csis is involved in providing security clearance not cbsa. So best is to order notes from them.

umanitoba

May 30, 2015
I just called IRCC, luckily agent was so nice and understanding. He said, everything is done and you should be expecting oath soon. I said, but on the tracker I still see my BC is 'in progress' then he said ok wait let me check again and then he said "Ohhh, ya , sorry , your criminality is renewed but security is still pending". So I guess they have a different database/system where security clearance is updated. Then I asked how long it should take for my BC, any idea ?he said maybe "couple of months".
Have you already passed the test and only your BG still in progress??

Dec 4, 2020
Or they just say what you wanna hear just so you stop bothering them. lol. I would bet my last dollar if you called again, you will get a different answer. Contact center agents do not care.

Canadiann2020

Star Member
Dec 24, 2020
RCMP technically has no role other than providing a certified criminal record check. If you are trying to confirm if they have transmitted the information to CIC you can email RCMP at ccrtis-scictr@rcmp-grc.gc.ca with your DCN.

Optional: Verify the status of your application
Canadian Criminal Real Time Identification Services (CCRTIS) receives a high volume of requests and replies to them in the order they are received. Contact us only if your application has taken longer than the processing times indicated. Provide the following information:

• Your full name
  • Your date of birth
  • The date your application was submitted to CCRTIS
  • Provide the reason for the criminal record check and specify if the application is for a vulnerable sector check
  • A phone number where you can be reached on weekdays during the day
  • The document control number (DCN), if available

And, if you still decide to submit an ATIP request to RCMP, they are by no means better than CIC. Lol. I have an ATIP request with RCMP which is over 60 days now - beyond the additional 30 days granted to them. I have made a complaint to the privacy commissioner and yet to hear anything back from either them or RCMP-ATIP office.
Note: My RCMP ATIP request was not related to immigration information.

Thank-you very much for your response. I will definitely inquire with CCRTIS once my application crosses 1 year mark. Till then I will just suck it up n wait...

Dec 4, 2020
Thank-you very much for your response. I will definitely inquire with CCRTIS once my application crosses 1 year mark. Till then I will just suck it up n wait...
Lol. Not sure if you are being sarcastic but RCMP most likely already sent your information. It's your local CIC office which you should be bugging. Send emails directly to them, they won't reply but they will be forced to open your file at the very least and who knows someone might just wanna work on it.

Good Luck!

Canadiann2020

Star Member
Dec 24, 2020
Lol. Not sure if you are being sarcastic but RCMP most likely already sent your information. It's your local CIC office which you should be bugging. Send emails directly to them, they won't reply but they will be forced to open your file at the very least and who knows someone might just wanna work on it.

Good Luck!
That's very true... Any idea how can I get email id of my local office?

SNGHL_2013

Mar 26, 2013
Or they just say what you wanna hear just so you stop bothering them. lol. I would bet my last dollar if you called again, you will get a different answer. Contact center agents do not care.
I applied in Dec 2020 and file is in process since March 18 (AOR date).Current status is background verification in progess especially security because criminality is completed.So its been roughly 2.5 months since my file is with CSIS for security clearance. Do u think i should request ATIP from CSIS or should i wait a little longer ? Any suggestions?

Canadiann2020

Star Member
Dec 24, 2020
I applied in Dec 2020 and file is in process since March 18 (AOR date).Current status is background verification in progess especially security because criminality is completed.So its been roughly 2.5 months since my file is with CSIS for security clearance. Do u think i should request ATIP from CSIS or should i wait a little longer ? Any suggestions?
Man I'm July 2020 I'm still waiting for the same.