+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2020 applicants with Background verification- In Progress

Canadiann2020

Star Member
Dec 24, 2020
RE: " which one is pending security or criminality".

He should be able to get that from GCMS notes on his own. I doubt that the MP is going to getting more information beyond that level.
RE: " which one is pending security or criminality".

He should be able to get that from GCMS notes on his own. I doubt that the MP is going to getting more information beyond that level.
Security-Completed
Criminality- in process from feb2021.

umanitoba

May 30, 2015
I got my notes. My file has been transferred to the local office but the assignment and due date is empty. So I think my file is sitting in the registry and no one is looking at it??

Reactions: Kornet

hawat

Aug 28, 2020
I got my notes. My file has been transferred to the local office but the assignment and due date is empty. So I think my file is sitting in the registry and no one is looking at it??
Where inGCMS note can we see current location of the file? Is it the “Paper file history” section ?

novascotia27

Jan 4, 2016
Do you know if we can send our finger prints without getting any request to speedup the process? Man I am fed up same shit with my PR application no FP request but took 17 months to process don't want to get stuck with citizenship while everyones moving forward.
As far as I know, you can’t provide FP unless you receive a writing request from IRCC. In fact, whoever takes your FP will ask for the letter from IRCC to verify request and instructions on where to send. But I feel you pain though. Im also sick and tired of all this IRCC bullshit

novascotia27

Jan 4, 2016
How do you know your security completed?? If you are saying this based on call center i suggest get gcms notes. Usually criminality is quick and the reason is your background is in progress is comprehensive security screening. Since criminality is based in RCMP record check this one is a quick one either they ask for FP and tou will pass quickly or even they don need FP. In my case criminality passed without any FP but security is in progress! The only reason for criminality to be in progress is someone has a match in his/her record then it will take a long time for RCMP or IRCC to pass the criminality. So, if you don’t have any record with police, I suggest ask your mp to get a detailed update on the status of your application to see which one is pending security or criminality. I haven’t heard delays due to criminality but most delays are due security unless someone has a police record.
I actually think is quite the opposite. Most people need FP to clear criminality, or both criminality and security. When I called IRCC they said that security is done first, and that’s usually faster than criminality because it involves less checks against national and international databases. In contrast to criminality, which is done by RCMP, is a more detailed check if there a potential match and involves various steps.
In my case, I passed security check and am stuck in criminality, though, I do not have any records ever, but my name is unfortunately common that I needed to provide FP.

Canadiann2020

Star Member
Dec 24, 2020
As far as I know, you can’t provide FP unless you receive a writing request from IRCC. In fact, whoever takes your FP will ask for the letter from IRCC to verify request and instructions on where to send. But I feel you pain though. Im also sick and tired of all this IRCC bullshit
This is killing me man! Most November 2020 applicants are getting there test invites and feels like I'm going nowhere .
I have ordered GSMC and webform but it's taking almost 1+month to receive.

Canadiann2020

Star Member
Dec 24, 2020
Bro I think somethings up.. we need to make some noise. There might be many in similar situations like you are at the moment. What are our options other than GCMS or web form coz u already tried it. Have you tried talking to your MP??

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
This information was probably redacted. On the page that you see "Assignment" and "Due Date", do you see section numbers like s(13).1 or something like that anywhere on the page? Usually, they are printed in the top/bottom corners of the page.

IRCC is well-known to redact too much information thereby making the notes useless. For my PR application, I received enough information in my GCMS notes that enabled meaningful analysis. But looks like that isn't the case for citizenship applications.

I've heard people saying that if you request the same notes from CBSA, you'll get a less redacted version but the catch is that CBSA doesn't provide a response online. They will either print the report and send it to you OR they'll add the PDF file to a CD (yes, you read it right and no, I'm not drunk) and mail it to you (A government organization from one of the most developed countries in the world resorting to the USE OF CDs in 2021 SURPRISES ME!). In addition to that, you'll (from what people are saying) get notes from CBSA in a timely manner (30 days) rather than having to wait beyond the stipulated time without an explanation or a bogus extension request which, unfortunately, is common with IRCC.

Note : I have only heard people say this and I have not tried this myself so I can't attest as to how true this is. I intend to apply notes at a later date from CBSA and see if there is any truth to this claim. I'll be better off getting notes in the paper format and scanning it rather than getting a CD because (surprise-surprise), I don't have a CD drive. To be fair, I'm very happy that they don't still use the 1.44 MB floppy disks to send GCMS notes.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020
This information was probably redacted. On the page that you see "Assignment" and "Due Date", do you see section numbers like s(13).1 or something like that anywhere on the page? Usually, they are printed in the top/bottom corners of the page.

IRCC is well-known to redact too much information thereby making the notes useless. For my PR application, I received enough information in my GCMS notes that enabled meaningful analysis. But looks like that isn't the case for citizenship applications.

I've heard people saying that if you request the same notes from CBSA, you'll get a less redacted version but the catch is that CBSA doesn't provide a response online. They will either print the report and send it to you OR they'll add the PDF file to a CD and mail it to you (A government organization from one of the most developed countries in the world resorting to the USE OF CDs in 2021 SURPRISES ME!)

Note : I have only heard people say this and I have not tried this myself so I can't attest as to how true this is. I intend to apply notes at a later date from CBSA and see if there is any truth to this claim. I'll be better off getting notes in the paper format and scanning it rather than getting a CD because (surprise-surprise), I don't have a CD drive. To be fair, I'm very happy that they don't still use the 1.44 MB floppy disks to send GCMS notes.
Funny you mentioned this! I was talking to CBSA on phone this morning and the agent said they have a lot of new technology due to remote work being implemented and they are having a hard time keeping up with it. Lol.
I have been trying to call IRCC but had no luck so just decided to call CBSA and to my surprise someone actually answered the phone. They obviously didn't provide any useful information other than pointing me to submit an ATIP request which I did and have requested entire history of my file from first landing to PR to paper and online citizenship. Let's see what information I receive and when.

Camelboy

Oct 21, 2012
Visa Office......
Nairobi
Funny you mentioned this! I was talking to CBSA on phone this morning and the agent said they have a lot of new technology due to remote work being implemented and they are having a hard time keeping up with it. Lol.
I have been trying to call IRCC but had no luck so just decided to call CBSA and to my surprise someone actually answered the phone. They obviously didn't provide any useful information other than pointing me to submit an ATIP request which I did and have requested entire history of my file from first landing to PR to paper and online citizenship. Let's see what information I receive and when.
@citizenship.enthusiast I don't think CBSA will provide you details on background check, shouldn't this be CSIS (Security) and RCMP (Criminality) ATIP?

Does anyone know if there is a backlog in Fingerprint Request at Vancouver office, one thing I don't understand is that some applicants from Late 2020 and eary 2021 are getting their FP request.

JustCitizen

May 26, 2021
Anyone who recently got his/her background verification completed after being stuck with it for long time, please share your timeline ? I have seen some 2018/2019 posts where average background verification took 6-7 months but there is no such data for 2020/2021, so thought maybe it will be good if we can share how much time CSIS is currently taking to do BC or if there is any backlog there due to COVID.

Reactions: hawat

Mexontario

Sep 9, 2020
Windsor, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-05-2014
Doc's Request.
23-06-2014
AOR Received.
04-06-2014
File Transfer...
23-06-2014
Med's Request
23-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Passport Req..
26-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-11-2014
LANDED..........
04-04-2015
@citizenship.enthusiast I don't think CBSA will provide you details on background check, shouldn't this be CSIS (Security) and RCMP (Criminality) ATIP?

Does anyone know if there is a backlog in Fingerprint Request at Vancouver office, one thing I don't understand is that some applicants from Late 2020 and eary 2021 are getting their FP request.
FP request is the first thing usually happens after AOR. We just have to hope everyone get through this BG checks quickly. under normal circumstances, dont expect to get a test invite before this is complete.
CBSA can only provide entry/exits. Criminality is RCMP.

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
FP request is the first thing usually happens after AOR. We just have to hope everyone get through this BG checks quickly. under normal circumstances, dont expect to get a test invite before this is complete.
CBSA can only provide entry/exits. Criminality is RCMP.
CBSA does more than just providing entry/exits,

How is security screening done at CBSA?

The Security Screening Program at CBSA is responsible for the security screening of foreign nationals who have been referred to the CBSA by an IRCC visa officer abroad or in Canada, who are seeking to come to Canada as a permanent resident, temporary resident (e.g. visitor) or refugee, or are already in Canada and seeking to remain as a temporary or permanent resident.

The CBSA is responsible for ensuring that there are no security concerns related to the individual seeking entry to Canada (e.g. counter terrorism, counter espionage, war crimes, crimes against humanity and organized crime) and, based on a thorough screening exercise (including the review of information and intelligence from a wide variety of internal and external sources), makes a recommendation to IRCC on the admissibility of the individual.

https://gcmsnotes.com/all-about-security-screening/#ss-timeline

Camelboy

Oct 21, 2012
Visa Office......
Nairobi
Is it possible to request ATIP from RCMP? And is it recommended to do if your file get stuck at criminality?