+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2019 Quebec Inland Spouse/Common law sponsorship applicants only

leMauricien

Star Member
Mar 22, 2019
My BGC is still going on and it's getting close to 2 months now, is this normal?

Still no medical, sponsorship approval, medical or fingerprints yet either. My CSQ was approved in June. Nothing has happened since then other than my BGC starting. :(

I was checking the 2018 timelines. Quebec applications's timelines are just ridiculous

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/2018-quebec-inland-spouse-common-law-sponsorship-applicants-only-timelines.619708/page-26

Waiting on medical request too

jamieheatherr

Oct 3, 2019
Trois-Rivières, QC
App. Filed.......
20-08-2019
AOR Received.
01-10-2019
Hi all, so I just got my AOR for PR on Oct 1 but I have questions regarding the OWP. We have been using a lawyer for this whole process but she's left out massive chunks of information so I've just discovered this forum and have some questions.

Sorry if this is a horribly silly question but I just want to make sure I'm understanding the process correctly. What exactly is the step by step between sending PR + OWP application to being able to work? Lawyer made no mention of CSQ so I'm totally unfamiliar with that part of the process.

sms1982

Star Member
Nov 10, 2017
Hi all, so I just got my AOR for PR on Oct 1 but I have questions regarding the OWP. We have been using a lawyer for this whole process but she's left out massive chunks of information so I've just discovered this forum and have some questions.

Sorry if this is a horribly silly question but I just want to make sure I'm understanding the process correctly. What exactly is the step by step between sending PR + OWP application to being able to work? Lawyer made no mention of CSQ so I'm totally unfamiliar with that part of the process.
Well you need to change your lawyer then as they're charging you a fortune for nothing from what I can see.

I'm halfway through the process but it's kinda like this.

Starts with Federal Gov.
Send app -> AOR -> Get letter from Fed to apply for CSQ with Quebec Government. (if Applicable your Open Work Permit OPW could be granted whilst you're doing to CSQ process as below).

Quebec
Apply to QC for CSQ by mail, -> receive AOR within a few weeks -> Receive decision and CSQ (if successful), QC update Fed of the acceptance for PR.

Back to Fed.Gov
Await for Medical request, Biometrics, Background check (BGC), Sponsorship Approval (SA), then Approval in Principle (AIP), Decision Made (DM) and Landing Interview.

Then you should be PR, just bare in mind that it's a lot longer of a process when you have both the Fed and the Gov of QC involved.

If I've missed any parts of the process peeps, then please correct me.

Reactions: leMauricien

sms1982

Star Member
Nov 10, 2017
This may not be that significant but I noticed that the wording on my application has changed from something like.. "You may not hear from us for a while, this is normal as most updates occur towards the end of your estimated timeline" to "Make sure you read your messages and take action when we ask you to. This will help move the application process along."

IE expect messages, rather than basically don't expect messages.

Hopefully finally my application will gather momentum again, it's basically been stagnant since mid-June apart from the start of the BGC.

jamieheatherr

Oct 3, 2019
Trois-Rivières, QC
App. Filed.......
20-08-2019
AOR Received.
01-10-2019
Well you need to change your lawyer then as they're charging you a fortune for nothing from what I can see.

I'm halfway through the process but it's kinda like this.

Starts with Federal Gov.
Send app -> AOR -> Get letter from Fed to apply for CSQ with Quebec Government. (if Applicable your Open Work Permit OPW could be granted whilst you're doing to CSQ process as below).

Quebec
Apply to QC for CSQ by mail, -> receive AOR within a few weeks -> Receive decision and CSQ (if successful), QC update Fed of the acceptance for PR.

Back to Fed.Gov
Await for Medical request, Biometrics, Background check (BGC), Sponsorship Approval (SA), then Approval in Principle (AIP), Decision Made (DM) and Landing Interview.

Then you should be PR, just bare in mind that it's a lot longer of a process when you have both the Fed and the Gov of QC involved.

If I've missed any parts of the process peeps, then please correct me.
Agreed, I'm very frustrated with the lawyer, wish we had money to get a new one.

Thank you SO much. So if I'm understanding, CSQ is just another step of the process for PR with Quebec and the OWP is just kind of it's own thing? Once the OWP shows up I'm good to begin searching for work?

Reactions: sms1982

sms1982

Star Member
Nov 10, 2017
Agreed, I'm very frustrated with the lawyer, wish we had money to get a new one.

Thank you SO much. So if I'm understanding, CSQ is just another step of the process for PR with Quebec and the OWP is just kind of it's own thing? Once the OWP shows up I'm good to begin searching for work?
Yeah you got it buddy. As Quebec have a certain amount of power to choose their own candidates, the CSQ is a vital step in the process and you cannot finalize PR without it if you're a QC resident like we are. The sponsor will submit all the financials possible to prove that they can meet the requirements ti upkeep the sponsored person for the 3 year duration. The more you have, the stronger your application.

And yes, OWP is it's own thing, its own IRCC application with a process of submit, AOR (if sent separately to the PR application) and wait for approval. It's linked to my passport so mine was only 10 months because my passport only had 10 months left on it. I assume they'ere at least a year, if not longer.

If it's done within the required timelines then I'll have no worries. Everyone else shouldn't havre this problem if their passport has a year left on it at the time of approval.

Any more questions mate? Keep asking. Screw the lawyer!

Reactions: leMauricien

jamieheatherr

Oct 3, 2019
Trois-Rivières, QC
App. Filed.......
20-08-2019
AOR Received.
01-10-2019
Yeah you got it buddy. As Quebec have a certain amount of power to choose their own candidates, the CSQ is a vital step in the process and you cannot finalize PR without it if you're a QC resident like we are. The sponsor will submit all the financials possible to prove that they can meet the requirements ti upkeep the sponsored person for the 3 year duration. The more you have, the stronger your application.

And yes, OWP is it's own thing, its own IRCC application with a process of submit, AOR (if sent separately to the PR application) and wait for approval. It's linked to my passport so mine was only 10 months because my passport only had 10 months left on it. I assume they'ere at least a year, if not longer.

If it's done within the required timelines then I'll have no worries. Everyone else shouldn't havre this problem if their passport has a year left on it at the time of approval.

Any more questions mate? Keep asking. Screw the lawyer!
Thanks again! Undoubtedly will have more questions soon but this was a huge help. Just don't like this lawyers philosophy of seemingly a "need to know" basis. I like to know what's coming down the line. I've learned more on these forums in two days than I have in a year with her!

Last edited:
Reactions: Laurahd and sms1982

vigneshwaran

Star Member
Apr 12, 2013
This is totally crazy. Jan 24 applicant still waiting for an update on background check. We provided CSQ upfront. GCMS notes didnt help much in information or triggering the process.

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
This is totally crazy. Jan 24 applicant still waiting for an update on background check. We provided CSQ upfront. GCMS notes didnt help much in information or triggering the process.
good to know. or not... Im applying this week hopefully. Have you received a owp if you applied for it? How were you able to provide CSQ upfront?

aashu241

Star Member
Aug 4, 2014
Quebec
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
CANADA
App. Filed.......
10-01-2019
Doc's Request.
Waiting
AOR Received.
07-03-2019
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
05-03-2020
Med's Done....
30-09-2017
Interview........
waiting
Passport Req..
waiting
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
January 10,2019 applicant ,
My Background check is in process from June 18 and it is still in process

leMauricien

Star Member
Mar 22, 2019
January 10,2019 applicant ,
My Background check is in process from June 18 and it is still in process
Did you try giving them a call to see whats the delay for the medical? Did you have to do an RCMP fingerprints check too?

The timelines do not make any sense and the process seems to differ from 2018 applicants and 2019. Looks 2019 is a new pilot project

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
So how long it takes for Quebec applicants? I’m just waiting on 2 letters and few photos to submit the application. But now I’m realizing it might take longer than I thought. Has anyone applied in 2019 and is close to receiving PR? What do the notes say?

pepino99

May 17, 2019
So how long it takes for Quebec applicants? I’m just waiting on 2 letters and few photos to submit the application. But now I’m realizing it might take longer than I thought. Has anyone applied in 2019 and is close to receiving PR? What do the notes say?
One year and a half

bruceh

Oct 9, 2019
This may not be that significant but I noticed that the wording on my application has changed from something like.. "You may not hear from us for a while, this is normal as most updates occur towards the end of your estimated timeline" to "Make sure you read your messages and take action when we ask you to. This will help move the application process along."

IE expect messages, rather than basically don't expect messages.

Hopefully finally my application will gather momentum again, it's basically been stagnant since mid-June apart from the start of the BGC.
I have the same message as you. I don't think it's specific. Any one who have similar messages?