+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

“Proof showing that you meet the residency obligation…” now mandatory?

Johny Bravo

Mar 29, 2015
Hi all,

Have you guys noticed that the document checklist changed on June 7 and now it looks like everyone needs to include some sort of documents (2 pc) as a proof of meeting residency obligation in the past 5 years? They removed the “…if you were outside Canada for 1095 days or longer”.
this is for renewing your PR card.

am I reading it correctly That now it applies to everyone?

Reactions: dpenabill

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

Have you guys noticed that the document checklist changed on June 7 and now it looks like everyone needs to include some sort of documents (2 pc) as a proof of meeting residency obligation in the past 5 years? They removed the “…if you were outside Canada for 1095 days or longer”.
this is for renewing your PR card.

am I reading it correctly That now it applies to everyone?
It wouldn't surprise me, considering all of the recent changes/glitches with the online system.

Last edited:

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Looks like they have changed this, effective today:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html

Date modified: 2023-06-07

The Document Checklist was also updated today that corroborates this change. I can't help but wonder why, unless CBSA records are no longer as important as they once were in supporting R.O. compliance.

Last edited:

Johny Bravo

Mar 29, 2015
It wouldn't surprise me, considering all of the recent changes/glitches with the online system.

Have you noticed any additional changes? A couple of people had reported that the consent section for CRA was no longer there...and at least one person said that both CRA and CBSA sections were gone, which had to have been a glitch since CBSA records have long been a part of the process (for IRCC).
I was about to do it on paper after reading about all the glitches with the online portal. I just checked the latest pdf application (imm5444) available for download on the IRCC website and it still shows the version from March 2023, and this version still has the CRA and CBSA consent

this is painful. How do I know now which documents are the best to use to prove my RO compliance ?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was about to do it on paper after reading about all the glitches with the online portal. I just checked the latest pdf application (imm5444) available for download on the IRCC website and it still shows the version from March 2023, and this version still has the CRA and CBSA consent

this is painful. How do I know now which documents will prove my RO obligation?
Appendix A has a list, but shows that you can add anything more that you feel helps to prove your R.O.:

Supporting documents showing that you meet the residency obligation

• You must provide copies of 2 pieces of evidence that can show residency in Canada in the five (5) years immediately before the application, such as:
    • employment records or pay stubs;
    • bank statements; (do they want at least 2 years worth)?
    • Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Notice of Assessment for the five (5) years immediately before the application
    • evidence that you received benefits from Canadian government programs;
    • rental agreements;
    • club memberships;
    • or any other documents that prove you met your residency obligation.

Johny Bravo

Mar 29, 2015
Appendix A has a list, but shows that you can add anything more that you feel helps to prove your R.O.:

Supporting documents showing that you meet the residency obligation

• You must provide copies of 2 pieces of evidence that can show residency in Canada in the five (5) years immediately before the application, such as:
    • employment records or pay stubs;
    • bank statements; (do they want at least 2 years worth)?
    • Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Notice of Assessment for the five (5) years immediately before the application
    • evidence that you received benefits from Canadian government programs;
    • rental agreements;
    • club memberships;
    • or any other documents that prove you met your residency obligation.
Thanks, just saw that. Do I get employment records from my employer?
Also, my card expired not long ago. That doesn’t effect my status, right?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks, just saw that. Do I get employment records from my employer?
Also, my card expired not long ago. That doesn’t effect my status, right?
I would think that your employer would be the place to start. ;)
If you are paid electronically, your bank statements would show that and, in theory, tick two boxes on the list at the same time.

Your PR status does not expire, only the card expires.

Johny Bravo

Mar 29, 2015
I would think that your employer would be the place to start. ;)
If you are paid electronically, your bank statements would show that and, in theory, tick two boxes on the list at the same time.

Your PR status does not expire, only the card expires.
Thank you for your answers. Much appreciated

medwiz

May 25, 2014
Looks like they have changed this, effective today:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html

Date modified: 2023-06-07

The Document Checklist was also updated today that corroborates this change. I can't help but wonder why, unless CBSA records are no longer as important as they once were in supporting R.O. compliance.
Could this actually be a strategy from them to decrease processing times? If proof of residency documentation is now included with all applications, theoretically RO would not need to be verified independently by IRCC through CBSA or CRA ..it would be left to the processing officer's discretion to check in case they feel the applicant does not in fact meet RO despite the documentation... otherwise with most other straight forward applications it could make things faster?? Who knows....just my guess

Reactions: armoured

Johny Bravo

Mar 29, 2015
Could this actually be a strategy from them to decrease processing times? If proof of residency documentation is now included with all applications, theoretically RO would not need to be verified independently by IRCC through CBSA or CRA ..it would be left to the processing officer's discretion to check in case they feel the applicant does not in fact meet RO despite the documentation... otherwise with most other straight forward applications it could make things faster?? Who knows....just my guess
This also crossed my mind. I guess time will tell. In the meantime I need to gather two pieces of proof docs.
I’ll give them a call tomorrow morning and will post here what they said

Johny Bravo

Mar 29, 2015
If anyone is interested.

i called IRCC this morning and the person I talked to wasn’t aware of that. The agent had to read it while we were on the phone but it appears that this is the case and it looks like everyone now needs to include at least two pieces of proof.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My interpretation - guess only - is that it is to decrease processing times, but from a more simple perspective - they looked at the number of files where they had to ask for additional information (akin to the proof they're asking for here) and hence resulted in big delays (screwing their numbers up), and some related measures (the number of files - let's call them border-line - where having such information / evidence would have made processing somewhat/much faster), and decided that it would indeed make sense.

The trade-off - apart from annoyance to IRCC - is having more documents to handle and evaluate, but that gets less burdensome (physically at least) when they're being submitted electronically.

In other words: I doubt it's a big change in policy or a big crackdown, they just re-evaluated after moving to more electronic and some studies about where the gaps and delays occur. It's probably a net positive for the vast majority of applciants, for whom showing a few basic things like employment letters will make it more obvious they reside iun Canada.

For some subset it will be worse though. Mostly those who aren't living or working in Canada. Some individuals who are in Canada but live 'in the dark' or off the map or whatever you want to call it. Probably individuals working unofficially will face some issues.

But overall we will just have to see how ircc treats this. For most applicants with enough time in Canada, and a buffer, they probably won't need much at all. Ircc officers might ignore this info if the days in Canada is obvious and clear. So it will have to be based on judgment of the applicant, whether their case is easy or not. Applicants hate this.

And there's a possibility ircc will decide some time in future they got way too much info and documents, it takes too much time to evaluate, and doesn't add much value to their decision making and they end up cancelling. There's no perfect system.

Last edited: