+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

“Proof showing that you meet the residency obligation…” now mandatory?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HI, What documents did you have to submit eventually. It will help my case. Thanks in advance
It's very simple. You only need two pieces of `evidence', such as a single bank statement and a [insert whatever you have here], for example a copy of your rental agreement/lease, or ANYTHING that shows that you have resided in Canada within the previous 5 year period. Preferably, the two pieces of evidence are from different periods of time within that window.

Last edited:

buzzard

Star Member
Dec 7, 2019
It's very simple. You only need two pieces of `evidence', such as a single bank statement and a [insert whatever you have here], for example a copy of your rental agreement/lease, or ANYTHING that shows that you have resided in Canada withing the previous 5 year period. Preferably, the two pieces of evidence are from different periods of time within that window.
Thank you,
Did you have to mention in the application, the period of time you did remote work for your employer when you are outside Canada. Also, How long did it take to process your application to receiving the card?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you,
Did you have to mention in the application, the period of time you did remote work for your employer when you are outside Canada.
Do they ask this question?

You do show when you were in/out of Canada. I believe you show your employment. Seems to me they can figure it out.

buzzard

Star Member
Dec 7, 2019
Do they ask this question?

You do show when you were in/out of Canada. I believe you show your employment. Seems to me they can figure it out.
Well, there is question about employment history, Not sure how to answer it for employment ( remote work ) done from outside Canada for a Canadian employer ( continuation ). This was due to a family emergency/care for a parent. Although, this time period outside is not being claimed for RO. Taxes were discharged in Canada as a resident. Would this be an issue of any sort?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Well, there is question about employment history, Not sure how to answer it for employment ( remote work ) done from outside Canada for a Canadian employer ( continuation ). This was due to a family emergency/care for a parent. Although, this time period outside is not being claimed for RO. Taxes were discharged in Canada as a resident. Would this be an issue of any sort?
No, not an issue, and I don't understand what your question is exactly. You are putting your employment history - that's your employer's name/address. You put your own address in sense of in or out of Canada. You're not claiming time outside for RO. Is there a question about taxes on the form?

If in doubt, you can write a short letter of explanation saying you were employed by your Canadian employer while working remotely for a period.

buzzard

Star Member
Dec 7, 2019
No, not an issue, and I don't understand what your question is exactly. You are putting your employment history - that's your employer's name/address. You put your own address in sense of in or out of Canada. You're not claiming time outside for RO. Is there a question about taxes on the form?

If in doubt, you can write a short letter of explanation saying you were employed by your Canadian employer while working remotely for a period.
My concern is for the period I was working remotely, My physical status is non-resident of Canada, but since I was being paid in Canada and taxes deducted and returns filed as a resident of Canada, would this be of any consequence or an issue in the eyes of immigration at the time of processing my application.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My concern is for the period I was working remotely, My physical status is non-resident of Canada, but since I was being paid in Canada and taxes deducted and returns filed as a resident of Canada, would this be of any consequence or an issue in the eyes of immigration at the time of processing my application.
If you meet the residency obligation, why would it be? Unless there's something I'm missing, the answer to your question is 'no.'

I'm not being specious - I don't understand what the concern you have is. For renewing your PR card, it's ... meeting the residency obligation. (Okay, and some other stuff like not being a criminal, but topics separate from whether you worked remotely for a while.)

Reactions: buzzard

adc9889

Mar 21, 2024
Appendix A has a list, but shows that you can add anything more that you feel helps to prove your R.O.:

Supporting documents showing that you meet the residency obligation

• You must provide copies of 2 pieces of evidence that can show residency in Canada in the five (5) years immediately before the application, such as:
    • employment records or pay stubs;
    • bank statements; (do they want at least 2 years worth)?
    • Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Notice of Assessment for the five (5) years immediately before the application
    • evidence that you received benefits from Canadian government programs;
    • rental agreements;
    • club memberships;
    • or any other documents that prove you met your residency obligation.
So submitting CRA notice of assessment for 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023 won't be enough?? I will also have to submit bank statements?? And for bank statements, it has to be for the whole year (12 months) of 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023??? So minimum 10 (5X2) uploads? I'm so confused. Please help!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So submitting CRA notice of assessment for 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023 won't be enough?? I will also have to submit bank statements?? And for bank statements, it has to be for the whole year (12 months) of 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023??? So minimum 10 (5X2) uploads? I'm so confused. Please help!
No. You only have to submit TWO repeat TWO pieces of evidence that you have RESIDED in Canada for SOME of the time period in question. You could two notices of assessment. Go crazy if you like and submit three.

Do NOT upload your entire life, do NOT do bank statements for many months, etc.

You need to submit TWO pieces of evidence that you've been spending some time in Canada. That's in the instructions. Do that.

• Haha
Reactions: Ponga

buzzard

Star Member
Dec 7, 2019
For calculating 730 day residency obligations, do we have to count the five year period from the COPR date or from the Card expiry date?. My card was printed/issued after 6 months of becoming PR/COPR issue due to covid delays, which means the card has another 6 months on top of the 5 year period.

COPR letter/PR since : June 2020
PR card mailed : December 2020
PR card expiry : December 2025

Does this mean I have till December 2025 to meet the 730 day residency obligations.
Thanks for the input.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
For calculating 730 day residency obligations, do we have to count the five year period from the COPR date or from the Card expiry date?. My card was printed/issued after 6 months of becoming PR/COPR issue due to covid delays, which means the card has another 6 months on top of the 5 year period.

COPR letter/PR since : June 2020
PR card mailed : December 2020
PR card expiry : December 2025

Does this mean I have till December 2025 to meet the 730 day residency obligations.
Thanks for the input.
Simplified instructions: easier to keep track of days out of Canada.

You must be outside of Canada LESS THAN 1095 days* in any five year period, the first five year period beginning the day you landed (which should be the same as the day you became a PR / PR since).

After that five year anniversary (eg June 2025 if you landed June 2020), it's five years looking back from whatever day you are examined (eg at a border). In Mar 2026, it's Mar 2021-Mar 2026. It's a so-called 'rolling' five year obligation.

That's it. The rest is keeping track of days and arithmetic and doing your own calcs to see if you are in compliance. Or, if you prefer, how many days more you can remain outside Canada and still be in compliance.

*This 1095 days is just the minimum 730 days INSIDE Canada restated as days max OUTSIDE Canada. IRCC does the same calc when they ask in PR renewal form if you've been outside Canada more than 1095 days.