+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

“Proof showing that you meet the residency obligation…” now mandatory?

Histrionics

Nov 22, 2017
India
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-10-2017
Nomination.....
No
AOR Received.
31-03-2018
Med's Done....
21-03-2018
Passport Req..
21-06-2018
Not sure if is possible to generate but can I provide latest EI statement since I've been on EI after being laid off.

Last edited:

Histrionics

Nov 22, 2017
India
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-10-2017
Nomination.....
No
AOR Received.
31-03-2018
Med's Done....
21-03-2018
Passport Req..
21-06-2018
I think paycheques or stubs would be better demonstration that you've been working in Canada. But otherwise, sure.
Thank you, my last paycheck was in September 2023, have been jobhunting since then. I have rental agreements, phone and credit card statements etc., but if recency is needed, I was wondering if it might make sense of share a screenshot of the latest processed EI payment.

I have another question regarding the first 100 days in Canada. This was in 2019, and I did not think to change my banking address to the Airbnbs where I lived so the address on my statements and screenshots matched my COPR. Do I offer my credit card screenshot as proof? The CBSA entry and exit will verify I was in the country but in terms of documentation, I don't have much else for that time.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you, my last paycheck was in September 2023, have been jobhunting since then. I have rental agreements, phone and credit card statements etc., but if recency is needed, I was wondering if it might make sense of share a screenshot of the latest processed EI payment.
Who said recency is needed? All of those things sound okay.

I have another question regarding the first 100 days in Canada. This was in 2019, and I did not think to change my banking address to the Airbnbs where I lived so the address on my statements and screenshots matched my COPR. Do I offer my credit card screenshot as proof? The CBSA entry and exit will verify I was in the country but in terms of documentation, I don't have much else for that time.
Who said you had to provide documentation covering the first 100 days?

Provide two pieces of evidence indicating you had some residency in Canada. No requirement to cover particular periods. Evidence that's more likely to show you were in Canada doing something better than evidence which might be ambiguous about you doing something or not (which was my point about the EI cheques, nothing more complicated than that).

Reactions: Histrionics

Histrionics

Nov 22, 2017
India
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-10-2017
Nomination.....
No
AOR Received.
31-03-2018
Med's Done....
21-03-2018
Passport Req..
21-06-2018
Who said recency is needed? All of those things sound okay.

Who said you had to provide documentation covering the first 100 days?

Provide two pieces of evidence indicating you had some residency in Canada. No requirement to cover particular periods. Evidence that's more likely to show you were in Canada doing something better than evidence which might be ambiguous about you doing something or not (which was my point about the EI cheques, nothing more complicated than that).
Thank you, much appreciated. Will do as you've suggested.

I got the recency thing from another post where someone had shared their latest paycheck and wondered if it might be important.

Anyhoo, thank you so much for responding.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you, much appreciated. Will do as you've suggested.

I got the recency thing from another post where someone had shared their latest paycheck and wondered if it might be important.

Anyhoo, thank you so much for responding.
I'd say just use your best judgment. It is - probably - to show pieces of evidence from different periods of time, but don't see any reason why it needs to be from specific periods (unless otherwise indicated ie some reason to do so), esp if you have other evidence that already covers it like leases.

Reactions: sguru01

sguru01

May 11, 2021
I'd say just use your best judgment. It is - probably - to show pieces of evidence from different periods of time, but don't see any reason why it needs to be from specific periods (unless otherwise indicated ie some reason to do so), esp if you have other evidence that already covers it like leases.
Hi @armoured sorry if I am asking an off topic question here. I submitted my PR card renewal application on Jan 25th on PR card portal. Today I tried linking my application to IRCC portal by providing my UCI and Family name details to keep track of the status. For some reason, it connected to my first PR card application with those details which I already received 5 years ago. How do I connect my latest PR renewal application now (since the system keeps saying your application is linked, but it has the old application linked, not the new one)? Or is it not linking because its not yet in the IRCC system yet? Do you have any insight on this? Thank you!

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Or is it not linking because its not yet in the IRCC system yet? Do you have any insight on this?
I have no insight on this. My wild guess would be that it doesn't make sense to worry about it until more time has passed, but I've no idea beyond a guess.

Ross88

Star Member
May 27, 2023
Hi @armoured sorry if I am asking an off topic question here. I submitted my PR card renewal application on Jan 25th on PR card portal. Today I tried linking my application to IRCC portal by providing my UCI and Family name details to keep track of the status. For some reason, it connected to my first PR card application with those details which I already received 5 years ago. How do I connect my latest PR renewal application now (since the system keeps saying your application is linked, but it has the old application linked, not the new one)? Or is it not linking because its not yet in the IRCC system yet? Do you have any insight on this? Thank you!
It's been only 1 business day since you submitted the application. Give it a few more days and try again.

Jan 3, 2019
Regarding Residency obligation - Can someone please help me here

Supporting documents showing that you meet the residency obligation
You must provide copies of 2 pieces of evidence that can show residency in Canada in the five (5) years immediately before the application, such as:
  • employment records or pay stubs; - Can we upload T4's for 5 years ?
  • bank statements; - Since it takes time to get bank statements from Bank for 5 years, online i can get maximum for 18 months only - should i upload for 18 months ?
  • Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Notice of Assessment for the five (5) years immediately before the application - Yes i got them
Did it help you? I am also in a similar situation. Are T4 and NOA from CRA sufficient? Did they accept your application?

Altman sun

Feb 17, 2024
AI answer.for discussion and comments
"proof of meet the residency obligation" requirement for PR card renewal in Canada:

Primary Documents:

• Canadian tax returns: These are the most crucial documents and should cover the period since you obtained your last PR card or landed in Canada, whichever is later. Ensure you include all supporting schedules and receipts.

• Proof of employment: This could include employment letters, pay stubs, T4 slips, or contracts demonstrating your continuous employment in Canada.

• Proof of self-employment: If self-employed, provide business registration documents, financial statements, and tax returns for your business.

• Education enrollment documents: If you were a full-time student in Canada during the qualifying period, provide registration confirmation, transcripts, and fee receipts.

Secondary Documents:

• Medical records: Appointments, prescriptions, or other medical documents showing you received healthcare in Canada.

• Bank statements: Transactions demonstrating financial activity in Canada, like rent payments, utility bills, or recurring subscriptions.

• Driver's license or other government-issued ID: Proof of residency address in Canada.

• Rental agreements or property ownership documents: Evidence of residing in Canada.

• Travel documents: If you traveled outside Canada, provide proof of your return and the duration of your absence.

Additional Tips:

• Gather documents for the entire qualifying period: Aim to provide documentation covering the five years preceding your PR card expiry, even if not strictly required.

• Organize documents chronologically: Make it easy for immigration officers to review your residency timeline.

• Include explanations for gaps in residency: If you were outside Canada for extended periods, provide supporting documents and explanations (e.g., medical reasons, authorized leave).

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
AI answer.for discussion and comments
"proof of meet the residency obligation" requirement for PR card renewal in Canada:
Do you have a question?

This is classic AI generated gibberish: a lot of details, a plausible underlying idea, but completely wrong on the substantive question. Anyone reading this should ignore it, and anyone sharing it as advice should be tortured with a catfishing chatbot.

Reactions: fireal.jon

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Do you have a question?

This is classic AI generated gibberish: a lot of details, a plausible underlying idea, but completely wrong on the substantive question. Anyone reading this should ignore it, and anyone sharing it as advice should be tortured with a catfishing chatbot.
Agree with, and was entertained by your characterization. Except, kind of like after watching a good horror film, now I am afraid of being plagued by catfishing chatbots, one more the-future-is-now nightmare stalking the neighbourhood.

The content of that post is indeed blatant and egregious misinformation in the context of the discussion here, regarding what documents a PR needs to provide when applying for a new PR card. PRs IN Canada do not need, nowhere near close, what it describes.

So far off, hardly needed saying.

That said, much of what it describes are basic records people generally keep, should keep, and should have available for various purposes, including in the event their physical presence in Canada is the subject of litigation (or the administrative equivalent of litigation). But NOT needed to make a PR card application. (Again, NOT close.)

Not likely to be needed even if IRCC questions their account of days physically spent in Canada . . . even in processing an application for citizenship . . . UNLESS the citizenship application gets tangled in a full-blown residency/presence case in which the precise number of days in Canada can matter (since just one day short mandates denying the application). Such cases are unusual and generally involve applicants who were in fact short as of the date the application was made, anyway, so the proof does not save the day (and may even more or less confirm the applicant is not eligible for the grant of citizenship).

For purposes of documenting RO compliance (in whatever context RO compliance is being examined, not just when applying for a new PR card), unlike citizenship applications, the Residency Determination (the administrative adjudication of RO compliance) is more like a game of horseshoes, close counts. And it very much appears that generally PRs do not even need to be all that close (with the caveat, nonetheless, there is some risk whenever short).

Meanwhile I can't stop looking over my shoulder, is that scratching sound lurking in my head (or in the apps left open on my phone) a mob of catfishing chatbots intent on wreaking havoc? (I have noticed that within just the last several months, the voices in scam calls are more refined; oh well.)

buzzard

Star Member
Dec 7, 2019
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. I have 275 days of absence in the past 5 years (family matter back home), but I worked in Canada the entire 5 years for one company (I was allowed to work remotely during the few months back home).
I’m thinking of submitting my employment letter and rental agreement. Should I mail the whole rental contract? There is maybe 15 pages in total. What’s your opinion?
HI, What documents did you have to submit eventually. It will help my case. Thanks in advance