+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

“Proof showing that you meet the residency obligation…” now mandatory?

aphermix

Jan 5, 2017
Folks, thanks so much for the lively discussions on the topic.

I have a bit of a challenge here. My wife has been out of Canada for 445 in the last five years and is hence qualified for her PR renewal.

However, she is a homemaker and has not been employed during the last five years, hence pay slips are out of the question.

She has CRA tax assessments which are basically for a zero income, not sure if these would work....

The only listed evidence we have are rental agreements where she was added four years ago.

I am counting on the below from the listed supporting documents from Appendix A:
  • or any other documents that prove you met your residency obligation.
and planning to submit the following:
  • Rental agreement and letter from landlord that she has been on the lease for the last 4 years
  • Scans of all passport pages with immigration stamps and the flight tickets for the travels to confirm travel dates
  • CRA Tax assessments

Could you guys please weigh in on this and provide any comments/suggestions/feedback.

Thanks and hope everyone is having a great holiday!
@pdoc

My wife is also in almost exactly same situation as your wife. Even the number of days outside Canada is in 400s for my wife. She also has been a homemaker and not employed.

How did you go about your application ? What evidences did you submit. Most importantly how many bank statements and NOA are to be submitted ? Bank statements for whole 5 years will be a lot.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
@pdoc

My wife is also in almost exactly same situation as your wife. Even the number of days outside Canada is in 400s for my wife. She also has been a homemaker and not employed.

How did you go about your application ? What evidences did you submit. Most importantly how many bank statements and NOA are to be submitted ? Bank statements for whole 5 years will be a lot.
Please, please, please: read the rest of the thread. Read the responses to the person who wrote that request. This same question has been asked and answered many times. Do this as a courtesy to others.

aphermix

Jan 5, 2017
Please, please, please: read the rest of the thread. Read the responses to the person who wrote that request. This same question has been asked and answered many times. Do this as a courtesy to others.
Hi @armoured

Thanks for the response

I did read the rest of the thread after pdoc posted his query. His last thread was as follows

Good suggestions, went back to the instruction guide and have the same impression, thanks so much! I will keep posted here how it goes.

As has been said on this forum, that set of instructions can at the least use some wordsmithing for clarity.
However it is not said in the threads what happened to his application post submission. That is why I reposted. Also it was not clear in the thread how many pieces of docs are needed. I saw multiple views. I thought it would be helpful to get his actual experience post submission as he is in very similar situation to mine. Hope you can understand the rationale behind my post.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
However it is not said in the threads what happened to his application post submission. That is why I reposted. Also it was not clear in the thread how many pieces of docs are needed. I saw multiple views. I thought it would be helpful to get his actual experience post submission as he is in very similar situation to mine. Hope you can understand the rationale behind my post.
His question was this week! Probably hasn't submitted yet. Even if he had, wouldn't be any info yet on how well it worked.

Your spouse's situation is not that unique. She needs to submit a couple different docs showing residing in Canada. Not five years' worth. NOA is decent. Other suggestions were given there. That's it.

sguru01

May 11, 2021
Good examples. Doctor reports. Vaccination records perhaps. But school report cards makes most sense.
Hi @armoured First of all thank you for answering all the questions in the thread.

After going through the thread, I am also in the process of gathering documents for the proof of residency to apply for PR card renewal. So far, I have gathered 2 years of NOA (2021 & 2022) and couple of Paystubs one from 2021 and one recent to prove minimum 730 days of my residency. I was thinking to attach couple of bank statements as well (one old 2021 and one recent) just to be on the safe side, however the bank statement has the full account number details visible (not redacted). Is it safe to disclose those details? Sorry if my question comes across as ignorant.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi @armoured First of all thank you for answering all the questions in the thread.

After going through the thread, I am also in the process of gathering documents for the proof of residency to apply for PR card renewal. So far, I have gathered 2 years of NOA (2021 & 2022) and couple of Paystubs one from 2021 and one recent to prove minimum 730 days of my residency. I was thinking to attach couple of bank statements as well (one old 2021 and one recent) just to be on the safe side, however the bank statement has the full account number details visible (not redacted). Is it safe to disclose those details? Sorry if my question comes across as ignorant.
This is way too much. The instructions ask for two pieces of evidence. Follow the instructions.

You do not need to prove 730 days in Canada. You need to provide two pieces of evidence of some residency in Canada. One noa and one paystub should be enough. Include an extra noa if you really want.

sguru01

May 11, 2021
This is way too much. The instructions ask for two pieces of evidence. Follow the instructions.

You do not need to prove 730 days in Canada. You need to provide two pieces of evidence of some residency in Canada. One noa and one paystub should be enough. Include an extra noa if you really want.
Thanks @armoured , I will just submit one NOA and one paystub. Is it ok if my paystub from 2021 has a different Canadian address than my NOA (I changed apartments between the two) Or do you think both Canadian addresses on the two documents need to match?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks @armoured , I will just submit one NOA and one paystub. Is it ok if my paystub from 2021 has a different Canadian address than my NOA (I changed apartments between the two) Or do you think both Canadian addresses on the two documents need to match?
I doubt it matters, assuming it reflects reality (nothing odd about moving).

You might want to choose your NOA and paystubs to cover different timeperiods. I know I said don't overdo it, but two NOAs plus a paystub isn't excessive.

We don't know much about how they look at these but it's likely that the biggest factors are how much time in Canada, appearance overall of being 'settled' in Canada (employment etc), and exit/entry info being accurate. (Well all info being accurate but entry/exit info one of those they likely check/can check).

Reactions: sguru01

sguru01

May 11, 2021
I doubt it matters, assuming it reflects reality (nothing odd about moving).

You might want to choose your NOA and paystubs to cover different timeperiods. I know I said don't overdo it, but two NOAs plus a paystub isn't excessive.

We don't know much about how they look at these but it's likely that the biggest factors are how much time in Canada, appearance overall of being 'settled' in Canada (employment etc), and exit/entry info being accurate. (Well all info being accurate but entry/exit info one of those they likely check/can check).
Thanks @armoured. I am thinking to submit one bank statement instead of a paystub (since it has the whole address, paystub is missing my apartment number for some reason, but has the building and street address), however the whole account number is visible on the bank statement (it is not redacted). Is it safe to disclose that to IRCC, just wondering if the document would go around. Any input is appreciated. Would be good to know if others have not redacted their bank statements before submission to IRCC.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks @armoured. I am thinking to submit one bank statement instead of a paystub (since it has the whole address, paystub is missing my apartment number for some reason, but has the building and street address), however the whole account number is visible on the bank statement (it is not redacted). Is it safe to disclose that to IRCC, just wondering if the document would go around. Any input is appreciated. Would be good to know if others have not redacted their bank statements before submission to IRCC.
I think paystub is better because working in Canada shows stronger attachment and longer-term residency (in general), wheareas bank statement just shows ... you spent some money. And I don't think they're quite so focussed on apartment number, the people evaluating have also seen how mail moves.

Up to you though.

I personally don't think there's much reason to worry about disclosing bank accounts to IRCC but your call.

Reactions: sguru01