+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working Without a Permit

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
mollybloom said:
They absolutely cared, but it was clearly a misunderstanding on my part. I'd always had a work permit while living in Canada; I moved to Canada in 2008 on a work permit and eventually got a student permit, so I'd never been in Canada without working status. I had no idea that babysitting, something teenagers do and never declare taxes for, would be recognized as employment.

When I told the CBSA agent what I'd done, he clarified the laws for me. I had my husband with me, our marriage license, and proof of our relationship and pending paperwork with the CIC. Because of this, he allowed me to remain in Canada.
Oh :) I was curious about VioletBlue though. She makes it sound like she said in the application "yeah I worked illegally here and made some dough" and they were like "whatever sistah we don't care" lol.

Edit: btw, why were you not allowed to babysit if you've always had a working status in Canada?

mollybloom

Star Member
Jan 7, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19 Oct. 2015
My work permit expired in 2011 and I moved back to the U.S. (my country of citizenship) for 1.5 years. I returned to Canada in late 2012 and married my husband. I held only visitor status until Feb. 2014.

I realized only after I wrote my reply that you were actually referring to the other person on this thread :)

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
mollybloom said:
My work permit expired in 2011 and I moved back to the U.S. (my country of citizenship) for 1.5 years. I returned to Canada in late 2012 and married my husband. I held only visitor status until Feb. 2014.

I realized only after I wrote my reply that you were actually referring to the other person on this thread :)
Ah okay. Well since they allowed you in and everything, I really don't think it should be a problem. But I don't know.

VioletBlue

Aug 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well it asks on one of the forms...lying would be misrepresentation...so I told the truth...I don't know if they cared or not...all I know is that my PR got approved. I would NEVER ever do it again...but people make mistakes....I think beat way is being truthful and remorseful about it

SamHom said:
So, you were babysitting and getting payed for it without a work permit and told CIC and they didn't care?

VioletBlue

Aug 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yeah dude! ...you can put it that way too! Lol...If I didn't mention it in application ..and they found out somehow...that would be worse... So I told the truth and hoped it wouldn't be too big of an issue

SamHom said:
Oh :) I was curious about VioletBlue though. She makes it sound like she said in the application "yeah I worked illegally here and made some dough" and they were like "whatever sistah we don't care" lol.

Edit: btw, why were you not allowed to babysit if you've always had a working status in Canada?

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
VioletBlue said:
Yeah dude! ...you can put it that way too! Lol...If I didn't mention it in application ..and they found out somehow...that would be worse... So I told the truth and hoped it wouldn't be too big of an issue
Wow. It sounds completely crazy to me that they didn't care about that. What was the question exactly? Have you worked illegally in Canada? And you said yes?

What was your removal order for?

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
SamHom said:
Wow. It sounds completely crazy to me that they didn't care about that. What was the question exactly? Have you worked illegally in Canada? And you said yes?

What was your removal order for?
Anyone can end up with a removal order just for being out of status. That's the CBSA's department though, not CIC's. CIC generally doesn't care about lack of status as far as spousal PR applications go (since if you are trying for PR you are trying to fix that problem) but they do care about misrepresentation. Every case is different though, they can tell the difference between naive and desperate people who are just trying to make a life for themselves, and those out to fool the system.

But ya, as for the CBSA, it depends on the officer. There have been people sent packing because they did some odd job in Canada. It's up to the border officer.

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
Aquakitty said:
Anyone can end up with a removal order just for being out of status. That's the CBSA's department though, not CIC's. CIC generally doesn't care about lack of status as far as spousal PR applications go (since if you are trying for PR you are trying to fix that problem) but they do care about misrepresentation. Every case is different though, they can tell the difference between naive and desperate people who are just trying to make a life for themselves, and those out to fool the system.

But ya, as for the CBSA, it depends on the officer. There have been people sent packing because they did some odd job in Canada. It's up to the border officer.
I still find it very extraordinary that someone who admits that they have been working illegally in Canada in their PR application would be accepted with no questions asked. That must be some kind of misconduct by the CIC officer reviewing the file.

VioletBlue

Aug 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There was No misconduct by CIC lol

Here is a thread where you can learn a bit More about it SamHom. ...

CIC defines someone with Lack of Status as someone who overstayed, Studied OR worked without authorisation (from publication ip08)

Ilegal work is Forgiven is spousal sponsorship application...but you have to declare it

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/help-did-not-declare-illegal-work-experience-in-background-declaration-t236684.0.html

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
SamHom said:
I still find it very extraordinary that someone who admits that they have been working illegally in Canada in their PR application would be accepted with no questions asked. That must be some kind of misconduct by the CIC officer reviewing the file.
Nothing extraordinary and no misconduct. Illegal work is forgiven in spousal sponsorship immigration applications. Not just in Canada - but in the US as well.

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
scylla said:
Nothing extraordinary and no misconduct. Illegal work is forgiven in spousal sponsorship immigration applications. Not just in Canada - but in the US as well.
Wow, I had not idea.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Having said that... While the illegal work is forgiven, it can cause CIC to review the application more closely to ensure the relationship is genuine. So illegal work can certain be a red flag in an application. However it's not grounds for refusal.

mollybloom

Star Member
Jan 7, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19 Oct. 2015
scylla said:
Having said that... While the illegal work is forgiven, it can cause CIC to review the application more closely to ensure the relationship is genuine. So illegal work can certain be a red flag in an application. However it's not grounds for refusal.
That's absolutely understandable. I certainly wish I had known all that I know now when I first entered Canada and filed my initial application for PR. I would expect that the CIC and CBSA realize that we're not all immigration experts and will make mistakes; nonetheless, immigration is a terrifying process.

Thanks for your replies!

krishnalynn

May 15, 2015
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-11-2015
AOR Received.
23-12-2015
File Transfer...
08-01-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
16-10-2015
Passport Req..
DM: 15-04-2016
mollybloom said:
That's absolutely understandable. I certainly wish I had known all that I know now when I first entered Canada and filed my initial application for PR. I would expect that the CIC and CBSA realize that we're not all immigration experts and will make mistakes; nonetheless, immigration is a terrifying process.

Thanks for your replies!
Yeah, sometimes I forget that this stuff isn't just common knowledge. I've watched too much Border Security and obsessed over too many immigration forms. I can see how you would make that mistake if you just weren't thinking too hard about it.