28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
mollybloom said:
That's absolutely understandable. I certainly wish I had known all that I know now when I first entered Canada and filed my initial application for PR. I would expect that the CIC and CBSA realize that we're not all immigration experts and will make mistakes; nonetheless, immigration is a terrifying process.

Thanks for your replies!
You got extremely lucky. Illegal work can be grounds for a one year exclusion order from Canada (meaning you have to leave and can't re-enter for a full calendar year). At a minimum, most people are told to leave Canada. You ran into a very sympathetic officer. Rightly or wrongly, the obligation was 100% on you to understand the terms of your visitor status and to understand what you were or were not allowed to do. I think it's fairly logical that being paid do to anything is work in any country. I don't think that requires expert immigration knowledge - just common sense.

Anyway - like I said - you got lucky. I don't think you have anything to worry about going forward.

mollybloom

Star Member
Jan 7, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19 Oct. 2015
scylla said:
Nothing extraordinary and no misconduct. Illegal work is forgiven in spousal sponsorship immigration applications. Not just in Canada - but in the US as well.
I've been pondering this for the past few days; why is illegal work forgiven in spousal sponsorship cases? I have terrible anxiety, so waiting for even my AOR is making me almost physically sick. Perhaps if I can understand more about this, I'll feel less terrible for my past offence (re: babysitting without a work permit).

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mollybloom said:
I've been pondering this for the past few days; why is illegal work forgiven in spousal sponsorship cases? I have terrible anxiety, so waiting for even my AOR is making me almost physically sick. Perhaps if I can understand more about this, I'll feel less terrible for my past offence (re: babysitting without a work permit).
Unfortunately, even with an AOR an application can be denied. The only thing that AOR means is that your application has been received and is complete. Nothing will have been checked yet.