Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
frege said:
Are you sure that marriage certificates can't be sent in later?

I'd be interested in knowing where CIC says this, or at least if anyone has had their application returned for this before.
considering the marriage certificate is a required document needing to process BOTH the sponsor AND principal application, it can not be submitted later. they will not be able to process the sponsor application without proof of the marriage, since this is a spousal sponsorship.

not providing that upfront risks getting the application returned as incomplete or a document request from CIC. Generally, the ONLY "required" documents CIC looks the other way with are the police clearance and medical receipt because those 2 items are not essential for processing the sponsor's application, they are only required for the applicant's application. since the sponsor's app gets processed first, ALL items listed on the sponsor's checklist MUST be included upfront for proper processing. i would imagine it would be very difficult to find a sponsor's application that was processed without a marriage certificate, assuming the couple applied as married. How else can the sponsor prove they are eligible to sponsor a spouse without providing proof they are married or commonlaw to the applicant??? The only proof for marriage is a marriage certificate. there is no alternative.

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
CDNPR2014 said:
considering the marriage certificate is a required document needing to process BOTH the sponsor AND principal application, it can not be submitted later. they will not be able to process the sponsor application without proof of the marriage, since this is a spousal sponsorship.

not providing that upfront risks getting the application returned as incomplete or a document request from CIC. Generally, the ONLY "required" documents CIC looks the other way with are the police clearance and medical receipt because those 2 items are not essential for processing the sponsor's application, they are only required for the applicant's application. since the sponsor's app gets processed first, ALL items listed on the sponsor's checklist MUST be included upfront for proper processing. i would imagine it would be very difficult to find a sponsor's application that was processed without a marriage certificate, assuming the couple applied as married. How else can the sponsor prove they are eligible to sponsor a spouse without providing proof they are married or commonlaw to the applicant??? The only proof for marriage is a marriage certificate. there is no alternative.
Yes, I agree with what you said, in that a sponsorship application would, in anything but extraordinary circumstances, not be approved without a marriage certificate. But there is a difference between returning an application and asking for missing documents. My calculation is that because 7 weeks is a long time, it might work out better for them to get their lock-in date now and deal with the delay caused by a document request later.

I don't know what the times are these days to get to sponsorship processing, but for us it took three months. That's plenty of time to send in the marriage certificate.

So my thought is if you can be sure it will result in a document request rather than having the application returned, then it's worth it. Particularly if you have a cover letter saying you're still waiting for the marriage certificate and could they please hold off on processing the sponsorship application until you send it in.

Now I'm not sure what would actually happen, but my reading of 5.12 in IP 2 is that Mississauga can't simply return an application that meets the minimum criteria and pretend it never existed.

So I'd like to know if anyone has actually tried this before, and what the outcome was.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
frege said:
Yes, I agree with what you said, in that a sponsorship application would, in anything but extraordinary circumstances, not be approved without a marriage certificate. But there is a difference between returning an application and asking for missing documents. My calculation is that because 7 weeks is a long time, it might work out better for them to get their lock-in date now and deal with the delay caused by a document request later.

I don't know what the times are these days to get to sponsorship processing, but for us it took three months. That's plenty of time to send in the marriage certificate.

So my thought is if you can be sure it will result in a document request rather than having the application returned, then it's worth it. Particularly if you have a cover letter saying you're still waiting for the marriage certificate and could they please hold off on processing the sponsorship application until you send it in.

Now I'm not sure what would actually happen, but my reading of 5.12 in IP 2 is that Mississauga can't simply return an application that meets the minimum criteria and pretend it never existed.

So I'd like to know if anyone has actually tried this before, and what the outcome was.
well if a required document is missing or there are missing signatures, then i would imagine the application does NOT meet the minimum requirement, so they ARE within their rights to send an application back if something required is not there. i think it depends on what's missing. for me, i had a missing form for the applicant's application and we simply received a document request before SA was processed. some people get entire application's sent back, so it's difficult to determine what standards they are using to decide this. again, i don't think you are going to have much luck finding someone who did not include a marriage certificate upfront, or had SA processed successfully without one. why should CIC hold onto an application for the convenience of the applicant when technically, the applicant didn't submit the application correctly? the onus is on the applicant and the sponsor to submit a full package. it is a risk not doing so.

Tevenneely

Jul 8, 2016
Re: help!!! Spousal sponsorship

I'm applying for common law inland and my situation is that I am a student who has no been in school for about a year and me and my girlfriend are becoming commonlaw this month, would I have any problems applying because I was not active in school? Another question is that I'm not able to get messages from since we started talking any advice on how to go about make no sure I'm in the clear with everything also the history for 10 years, how accurate does it have to be since I've bin in and out of school ???

Thanks

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
CDNPR2014 said:
well if a required document is missing or there are missing signatures, then i would imagine the application does NOT meet the minimum requirement, so they ARE within their rights to send an application back if something required is not there. i think it depends on what's missing. for me, i had a missing form for the applicant's application and we simply received a document request before SA was processed. some people get entire application's sent back, so it's difficult to determine what standards they are using to decide this. again, i don't think you are going to have much luck finding someone who did not include a marriage certificate upfront, or had SA processed successfully without one. why should CIC hold onto an application for the convenience of the applicant when technically, the applicant didn't submit the application correctly? the onus is on the applicant and the sponsor to submit a full package. it is a risk not doing so.
I don't really see what the difference is between making a document request for a marriage certificate and a document request for a police certificate, except that one is for the sponsorship application and the other is for the PR application. That's why I think it all comes down to the "minimum requirements" in 5.12 and 5.13. A missing signature means that a form is incomplete. If that form is one of the minimum requirements, then that's that and the whole application will be returned. For example, "IMM 0008EGEN signed by the applicant" is in the table in 5.13.

eaforster

Star Member
May 16, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-09-2016
AOR Received.
01-10-2016
File Transfer...
15-10-2016 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-07-2016
Passport Req..
ECAS DM: 02/07/2017 PPR: 02/15/2017
VISA ISSUED...
02/27/2017
LANDED..........
03/04/2017
Thanks, everyone. I think I will just hold off to be safe!

I understand I can also apply as inland as well and apply for the work permit, so I can continue working. Is applying inland all that bad? I have a lot of family friends in Buffalo, NY so I cross the border a lot but I have never been stopped so I'm not really worried that I would get denied entry and my application would get thrown out.

Are there any other reasons applying inland would be bad?

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
eaforster said:

I understand I can also apply as inland as well and apply for the work permit, so I can continue working. Is applying inland all that bad? I have a lot of family friends in Buffalo, NY so I cross the border a lot but I have never been stopped so I'm not really worried that I would get denied entry and my application would get thrown out.

The main problem with inland is that once you're on "implied status" (i.e. when you're allowed to keep working even though your work permit has expired), you can have trouble coming and going. But I don't think this is the case once you have an open work permit under the pilot program, and that only takes about four months.

The other problem is that it takes a long time to get your PR. It's up to you to see what the practical differences would be between having an open work permit, having AIP (approval in principle) and having full PR. It may come down to things like how far along in the process your province requires you to be before you can get Medicare, or how far along you need to be to get in-province tuition.

The big downside with outland is that once your work permit expires, there's no implied status, so you'll have to stop working. There's also no open work permit. You'll be entitled to very little until you get full PR. So you'll definitely want to know what the typical processing times are for U.S. outland applications.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
eaforster said:

if you are a us citizen, there is no reason to apply inland. us applicants applying outland are getting approved in 3-5 months right now. as an inland applicant, it take 4 months to get the owp and you will not be eligible for OHIP until you can prove 6 mo. full time employment on THAT work permit. I'm not sure you'll be able to use your time on your other work permit to qualify for OHIP once it expires. so, essentially, it will take the minimum of 10 months to qualify for ohip inland, and you will still be waiting another year or so to be approved. even if this quick processing trend doesn't continue, the longest "trend" for us applicants has been 8-10 months. right NOW, march and maybe april 2016 US outland applicants are being approved. the owp certainly is no reason to apply inland. apply outland. you'll be happy you did.

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
CDNPR2014 said:
if you are a us citizen, there is no reason to apply inland. us applicants applying outland are getting approved in 3-5 months right now. as an inland applicant, it take 4 months to get the owp and you will not be eligible for OHIP until you can prove 6 mo. full time employment on THAT work permit. I'm not sure you'll be able to use your time on your other work permit to qualify for OHIP once it expires. so, essentially, it will take the minimum of 10 months to qualify for ohip inland, and you will still be waiting another year or so to be approved. even if this quick processing trend doesn't continue, the longest "trend" for us applicants has been 8-10 months. right NOW, march and maybe april 2016 US outland applicants are being approved. the owp certainly is no reason to apply inland. apply outland. you'll be happy you did.
The main problem is if he wants to keep his job in Canada, he would need the outland process to be wrapped up by the time his work permit expired in December, which is in five months. Inland there would be no risk of that (as long as it's not IEC). So it would partly depend on how much he cares about keeping that particular job. And partly on what proportion of US applicants are getting longer processing.

Also, how much is private insurance for a young person?

Miletski05

Jan 31, 2015
Edmonton
Category........
Hi,

I just recently got here in Canada from a TRV (sponsored by my husband) and now we are planning to have him sponsored me (Family Class) while I am still here in Canada. I was looking thru some of the options that we could take but it seems a bit confusing for me. I am hoping for your suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks! :) :)

bhinder singh

Jul 17, 2016
As much as it's thought to be wrong or distasteful here in Canada, first cousin marriage is not actually illegal, so CIC cannot take that into account. It is still very common in countries/eerycultures with arranged marriages.

She is not my auntys mothers grand daughter.
She is my aunts mothers brothers grand daughter.
Mama means mothers brother.

So she not my first cousin by blood relation. If i no blood relation our marriage is falk under any degree of prohibited relationship .

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
eaforster said:

If you are here on a student permit and haven't attended school for a year - then your study permit is no longer valid and working in Canada illegally. Did you someone manage to change your status from student to worker by obtaining an LMIA?

eaforster

Star Member
May 16, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-09-2016
AOR Received.
01-10-2016
File Transfer...
15-10-2016 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-07-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
02/27/2017
LANDED..........
03/04/2017
scylla said:
If you are here on a student permit and haven't attended school for a year - then your study permit is no longer valid and working in Canada illegally. Did you someone manage to change your status from student to worker by obtaining an LMIA?
No, I'm here on the SWAP visa program right now. They give you an open work permit for a year and then you're kind of on your own.

I would love to be able to keep my job, but I'm also really scared to apply inland as I know the process takes a lot longer and there is no appeal. I think I will be safe and just apply outland and hope my job will take me back since I highly doubt I would get approved by end of Dec(given I cant send in my app until Sept).

eaforster

Star Member
May 16, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-09-2016
AOR Received.
01-10-2016
File Transfer...
15-10-2016 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-07-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
02/27/2017
LANDED..........
03/04/2017
CDNPR2014 said:
Thanks so much! Yeah, I just really like my job and would love to be able to keep it but I don't think it's worth the risk. I would rather play it safe and just apply outland and hope it gets approved ASAP!

selpri12

Sep 28, 2014
canadafsw2015 said:
Hello house!!

My wife got her PPR on 11th May. As she is here with me on Visitor's Visa, we sent her Passport to Ottawa for stamping, which reached Ottawa on 12th May.

It's been 2 weeks since and haven't received anything back nor heard from them. I even tried to track the Canada Post Xpresspost return envelope but to no luck ???

How long does it usually take to receive the stamped passport from Ottawa? Anyone here who sent their passport to Ottawa for stamping? In how much time did they received their stamped passports?

Cheers!
Hi Canadafsw2015

I am in the same situation. I received PPR and i have sent the pp to CPC ottawa and its been 2 weeks now. How long does it took for you to receive your passports back?