05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
pritha said:
Yes, i guess they increase it. because i also remember for the principal applicant was $490. Anyway, its for inland application don't know with the outland application.
No they do not increase it. It's still $1040.

Sponsorship application (per application) $75
Principal applicant $475
Right of Permanent Residence Fee $490
Total = $1040

The 550 you are looking at is for a parent of the PA or a child is under 22. (A family member of the principal applicant who is 22 years of age or older, or is less than 22 years of age and is a spouse or common-law partner)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
pritha said:
anyway can you help answering my questions post, its above your answer post to larryUK . Thanks :)
The total fee for sponsoring a spouse without dependents has been $1040 for several years now.

larryUK

Star Member
Mar 13, 2012
scylla said:
Unfortunately that's not quite right.

If you apply using the outland route, then your spouse will be approved in about a month - however you will not qualify for an open work permit. (Only inland applicants qualify for an open work permit.)

If you apply using the inland route, then first stage approval is currently taking six months to complete. Once you have first stage approval you will qualify for an open work permit.
I see, thought that was also too good to be true. So is it better to apply outland (to UK office), from what I understand the whole process will be alot quicker from start to finish, about 8 months from what I read. I can also stay in Canada and apply outland?

Or apply inland, after 6 months I can apply for work permit but will take alot longer for the PR application to go through.

So outland I could have PR after around 8 months and techincally work then, Inland still looking at around 7 months before I can get a work permit and alot longer before I have PR.

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
parker24 said:

Principal applicant $475
Total = $1040

The 550 you are looking at is for a parent of the PA or a child is under 22. (A family member of the principal applicant who is 22 years of age or older, or is less than 22 years of age and is a spouse or common-law partner)
ohhh that means I was right...hehehe

Benno2013

May 30, 2013
Hi All,

I am just new to this forum and am hoping you could share some insights into the Family Class Sponsorship process. Obviously each persons situation is unique, but any advice would be helpful. If I could share a little background info to provide some context:

I am a duel Australian & New Zealand citizen (33 years old) working in Vancouver on a 1 year IEC Visa. I live with my Canadian partner whom I entered into a relationship with in March 2012 whilst he was travelling in New Zealand. We moved in together in NZ in March and he came back to Canada in July 2012 to find work in his field (Geology).

We both decided we wanted to be together so I decided I would move to Canada. I needed to work in Canada and realised early on that as an Australian, I was too old to Qualify for the IEC. So I obtained my NZ citizenship which allowed me to work for 1 year under the IEC program. As a kiwi I am unable to extend or renew this visa beyond the expiry date of Nov 15th 2013 so am looking at my options for PR. I am clearly worried that time is running out and would like some clarity on which direction we should / can proceed. I am currently working full time for a large, locally based retail company.

We are looking into family class sponsorship right now and are a little unclear as to whether we qualify as Common Law or Conjugal - With common law stating that we need to be living for a continuous, un-broken minimum period of 12 months. We lived together (and can support with evidence) for 3 months in NZ plus in Vancouver from Nov 15th 2012 to present. Its the gap in between that is the problem. Is the 12 months a hard and fast rule? We have a ton of supporting documents / photos / family letters stating our relationship is genuine and committed. Heck I changed citizenships and moved countries to be with him ;/

Conjugal seems to the obvious choice, however I don't think immigration would see the gap in the middle as a good enough barrier...? My partner however is a field geologist and can be away up to 45 days per job so this could add weight to the case?

My first question here is should we file our application now as Common Law or Conjugal and if so should I send it outland to speed up the first stage approval and would it be enough time to obtain a bridging / implied status visa so I can continue working beyond November 15? Or should we wait until Nov so we have a full year? - but then my permit expires :(

My second question / scenario (which I probably could take to a different forum) relates to the BC PNP. I looked into this option with my employer after seeing that my role falls under the NOC b qualifying classification (retail supervisor) however my employer only supports the program for roles at a more senior level. My back ground in NZ is one of restaurant management (and ownership - I had my own business for 5 years) as well as Tourism Marketing & Advertising Sales. If family class falls through, is it worth switching back into my former management career and seeking an employer who can support the BC PNP based on my experience?

Apologies for the giant essay, but this forum seems to be the only place I see clear answers and advice.

B

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
Can you not just get married?

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Benno2013 said:
Hi All,

I am just new to this forum and am hoping you could share some insights into the Family Class Sponsorship process. Obviously each persons situation is unique, but any advice would be helpful. If I could share a little background info to provide some context:

I am a duel Australian & New Zealand citizen (33 years old) working in Vancouver on a 1 year IEC Visa. I live with my Canadian partner whom I entered into a relationship with in March 2012 whilst he was travelling in New Zealand. We moved in together in NZ in March and he came back to Canada in July 2012 to find work in his field (Geology).

We both decided we wanted to be together so I decided I would move to Canada. I needed to work in Canada and realised early on that as an Australian, I was too old to Qualify for the IEC. So I obtained my NZ citizenship which allowed me to work for 1 year under the IEC program. As a kiwi I am unable to extend or renew this visa beyond the expiry date of Nov 15th 2013 so am looking at my options for PR. I am clearly worried that time is running out and would like some clarity on which direction we should / can proceed. I am currently working full time for a large, locally based retail company.

We are looking into family class sponsorship right now and are a little unclear as to whether we qualify as Common Law or Conjugal - With common law stating that we need to be living for a continuous, un-broken minimum period of 12 months. We lived together (and can support with evidence) for 3 months in NZ plus in Vancouver from Nov 15th 2012 to present. Its the gap in between that is the problem. Is the 12 months a hard and fast rule? We have a ton of supporting documents / photos / family letters stating our relationship is genuine and committed. Heck I changed citizenships and moved countries to be with him ;/

Conjugal seems to the obvious choice, however I don't think immigration would see the gap in the middle as a good enough barrier...? My partner however is a field geologist and can be away up to 45 days per job so this could add weight to the case?

My first question here is should we file our application now as Common Law or Conjugal and if so should I send it outland to speed up the first stage approval and would it be enough time to obtain a bridging / implied status visa so I can continue working beyond November 15? Or should we wait until Nov so we have a full year? - but then my permit expires :(

My second question / scenario (which I probably could take to a different forum) relates to the BC PNP. I looked into this option with my employer after seeing that my role falls under the NOC b qualifying classification (retail supervisor) however my employer only supports the program for roles at a more senior level. My back ground in NZ is one of restaurant management (and ownership - I had my own business for 5 years) as well as Tourism Marketing & Advertising Sales. If family class falls through, is it worth switching back into my former management career and seeking an employer who can support the BC PNP based on my experience?

Apologies for the giant essay, but this forum seems to be the only place I see clear answers and advice.

B
You don't qualify for conjugal as you are visa exempt and can come to Canada for 6 months and re-new the visitors record online and extend it for another 6 months then you will have been living together for a year. You cannot work on this visitors record however. Not wanting to leave work will not satisfy CIC for a reason to apply conjugal.

Why not get married? Common-Law and Spousal are equally the same, but then you can live in NZ or Aus. and work until you get everything done.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Benno2013 said:
Hi All,

B
PNP is a viable option if you can get your required time (6-12 months depending on province). Then you can apply for a Bridging open work permit (BOWP). You can also check into CEC (Canadian Experience Class) as they do support B NOC codes, allow you to get a BOWP, and you don't need employer support - you apply independently.

I think CIC would have a real issue with your partner being away for 45 days. It doesn't matter that its work related.

When you're reviewing your options, keep in mind no spousal options just hand out a work permit. The only way to get one in Spousal is to apply "Inland" where you shouldn't leave Canada. It can also take years (seriously some people are waiting 4+ years because they were transferred to a very slow local office - rare but it happens) whereas Sydney is very fast. Sydney would be "Outland." You can apply "Outland" while in Canada. Only real downside is if you need an interview, you will have to travel to Sydney. CIC only does interviews if they suspect the relationship isn't real - visa exempt citizens rarely get interviews.

On the other hand, PNP and CEC do offer work permit options, but IEC visas are not extendable. Your status must qualify to be extendable in order to get "Implied Status." No matter how you get a new work permit, you cannot work between the old permit expiring and getting the new work permit in your hands.

Another option you can try, if you haven't yet, is asking your employer about getting a LMO in your name so you can get a closed work permit. That would allow you to continue working (for now) and give you more time to figure out PNP/CEC/Spousal PR. It would also qualify for Implied Status if you went from a closed work permit to an open work permit (although you can't change employers until you have the OWP in your hands).

As previously said, Conjugal isn't an option. If you're able to get into Canada, it's just not an option. I don't think CIC will view you as Common-Law either. Any time before you were apart while getting your IEC visa don't count because of the gap. You'll have to start over again and I'm afraid CIC's viewpoint will be you start over again after every one of those long work trips your partner takes. CIC has had issues with couples being apart two weeks, so you can imagine 45 days would probably get a rejection. However, there is no fast and hard rule here. You're stuck in a gray area. In order to make things easier for yourself, you should look at your other options first - PNP, CEC, and consider the marriage option if marriage is right for you.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
simb said:
Inland , after you get approved as sponsor you get work permit (which is a legal status)
Note that you only get that open work permit when you apply for it - ideally, you apply for it along with the PR application ($150 fee for that as well). While they are deciding on your work permit application you are allowed to remain under "implied status".

simb said:
Outland, you need to be on visitor visa if you want to live with your spouse during the application process. you can extend your visitor visa.
For people from visa-exempt countries this is normally granted. The usual reason to file outland versus inland is that outland gives you specific appeal rights you do not have for inland (ergo, you can appeal to IAD if refused) though you can always go to Federal Court for either type of application. Outland allows you to be anywhere in the world. Inland requires you be living with your spouse in Canada - thus the advice is not to leave Canada because if you are refused re-entry then you cannot meet this statutory requirement. Outland CAN be faster. For someone from the UK, you'll probably have PR (outland) in about the same time it takes to get AIP (first stage approval inland).

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Benno2013 said:

CIC hates conjugal applications. To support a conjugal application there must be structural impediments to a couple being together. Since you are both in Canada at the same time, you are exercising a choice not to get married and they will not consider you for a conjugal relationship. Most conjugal applications are refused by CIC. It's a last ditch effort to be together against almost insurmountable odds.

It's very easy to get married in BC - $100 for a marriage licence, then $75 to the marriage commissioner (I know a very good one in Kitsilano across from the park, if you need one). Given the status of the law in BC being married and being common law are the same anyway from a legal perspective, so you really aren't accomplishing anything by avoiding marriage. Plus, BC sends back the marriage certificate in 3 weeks (Ontario seems to take 8 weeks to do the same thing).

If you qualify for BC PNP you can certainly go about it that way. It will take a bit longer (Sydney is a very fast visa office - you'd probably have your PR in 6 months, I'd give PNP 9-12 months). Once you've received a positive selection decision you can now get an open work permit to bridge, even after your IEC permit expires. There are two advantages to PNP: (1) you get a REAL PR, not the "skim milk" PR they now give to family class sponsored people (two year conditional visa); and (2) your partner is not obligated to support you for three years.

BC extends MSP benefits to spouse/partner applicants of eligible BC residents as well (e.g., you can have health care as long as you are living with your spouse/partner here in BC and you have a pending PR application).

Good luck!

pritha

Star Member
Oct 8, 2012
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
VEGREVILLE
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-07-2013
AOR Received.
31-07-2013
File Transfer...
11-03-2014
Med's Request
Sent with App
Med's Done....
14-06-2013
Interview........
11-06-2014
Passport Req..
waived
LANDED..........
11-06-2014
parker24 said:

Principal applicant $475
Total = $1040

So, let me revise the fee for the Right of Permanent Residence is $490, but for the Principal Applicant is $550 , I am not trying to be smart, but its only what i read from the guide IMM 5289 http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5289ETOC.asp#pay-fee , here it is :

Step 3. Pay the fees
Calculating your fees

Use the table below to calculate the total amount of fees to be paid. There are two (2) types of fees:

1. The processing fee which must be included with your application.
Processing Fee Number of persons Amount per person Amount Due
Principal applicant 1 x $550 $550
Dependent child who is 22 years of age or older or who is married or in a common-law relationship, regardless of age x $550

Dependent child who is under 22 years of age and single
x $150
Total Payment:

and

2. The Right of Permanent Residence Fee, which will be requested by the processing office at a later stage if your application is approved.

Note. We strongly recommend paying the Right of Permanent Residence Fee along with your processing fees. By doing so, it will reduce the processing time of your application.
Right of Permanent Residence Fee Number of persons Amount per person Amount Due
Principal applicant 1 x $490 $490
Total Payment:

Note: The following persons are exempt from paying the Right of Permanent Residence Fee of $490:

Your dependent children;
You, if you are the principal applicant and the dependent child of a permanent resident or Canadian citizen. You must meet the definition of “dependent child” at the time of the application;
You and your family member, if you are a protected person.

Anyone could explain to me which one is right ? Because i also don't want to overpay the CIC although they will refund if we overpay the fees.

Thanks,
Pritha

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
pritha said:
So, let me revise the fee for the Right of Permanent Residence is $490, but for the Principal Applicant is $550 , I am not trying to be smart, but its only what i read from the guide IMM 5289 http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5289ETOC.asp#pay-fee , here it is :

Step 3. Pay the fees
Calculating your fees

Use the table below to calculate the total amount of fees to be paid. There are two (2) types of fees:

Dependent child who is 22 years of age or older or who is married or in a common-law relationship, regardless of age x $550

x $150
Total Payment:

and

2. The Right of Permanent Residence Fee, which will be requested by the processing office at a later stage if your application is approved.

Note. We strongly recommend paying the Right of Permanent Residence Fee along with your processing fees. By doing so, it will reduce the processing time of your application.
Total Payment:

Note: The following persons are exempt from paying the Right of Permanent Residence Fee of $490:

Your dependent children;
You, if you are the principal applicant and the dependent child of a permanent resident or Canadian citizen. You must meet the definition of “dependent child” at the time of the application;

Anyone could explain to me which one is right ? Because i also don't want to overpay the CIC although they will refund if we overpay the fees.

Thanks,
Pritha
I think that is if you are applying from inside Canada. Maybe they just raised the fee?

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
pritha said:

Step 3. Pay the fees
Calculating your fees

x $150
Total Payment:

and

Total Payment:

Your dependent children;

Thanks,
Pritha
How are you paying? I clicked to pay online and that's exactly where I got my information. That is crazy confusing. Perhaps it's more expensive to apply inland? That's really weird!!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
It's confusing, but the fees are the same. Either it is $75 (sponsor) + $475 (applicant) OR it is $550 (applicant, nothing separate for sponsor). But in either case it will be $1040 including the RPRF.

bella25

Apr 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2013
AOR Received.
April 2013
File Transfer...
April 2013
Passport Req..
April 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Not yet
LANDED..........
SOON!
Hello Guys,

I am a canadian citizen and got married in India in dec 2012 and i applied for my husbands spousal sponsership in March 25,2013 (as per cic). Our application has been approved and was transfered to New delhi on April 18,2013 and we also got a passport request on the same day. How long does it take for the visa's to be sent over to my husband in india? He is currently in India. And I am back to Canada.

Is there a time period when he should be receiving his visa's from new delhi?
Thanks,
Bella