+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

OKLandman

Jul 30, 2013
ALLY06 said:
The timeline is looking about 7 months for outland applicants.
Geesh 7 moths... Has it always been this long of wait ( even pre strike?). I sent in my application in June. Awaiting sponsorship approval to arrive anyway. My wife is Canadian and we have been married 6 years. She attended school in the states and stayed to work. She is ready to move back home. She is moving in two days as a matter of fact. Whenever we got her permanent residency it took us like 3-4 months max. I was hoping that's all it would take us for this thing but I guess I am mistaken. Can 'Murica really be that more efficient at this ? :p HAHA! Anyway I hope it comes soon. I am really gonna miss my wife and lil puppy. I really wish I could afford to go live up there while waiting but bills have got to be paid, especially since I am finishing my bachelors while I work. Maybe I can hit this lotto and move up there and not have to work for a while. 8)

Anyway I just found this forum and I will be here reading and cheering on people as they await word from their paperwork like I am.

Brooksee

Star Member
May 22, 2013
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 14/13
AOR Received.
Mar 11/13- April 2/13
File Transfer...
Mar 11/13
Med's Done....
Dec 20/12
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July30/13
VISA ISSUED...
July30/13
LANDED..........
Aug19/13
It's a beautiful day today!! The wife gets her visa today, yaaaaaaaaa!!!

No interview, no pictures just the passport.

Best wishes for all!

hazamc

Mar 4, 2013
Burlington, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad, Pakistan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07 JUNE 2011 for wife
Doc's Request.
Never
AOR Received.
05 June 2012
File Transfer...
04 AUGUST 2011
Med's Done....
5 JUNE 2013 and 11 SEPTEMBER 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
February 2015
VISA ISSUED...
February 2015
LANDED..........
February 2015
Congratulation. Have a Great Day and Enjoy Your New Lovely Life.
Brooksee said:
It's a beautiful day today!! The wife gets her visa today, yaaaaaaaaa!!!

No interview, no pictures just the passport.

Best wishes for all!

Brooksee

Star Member
May 22, 2013
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 14/13
AOR Received.
Mar 11/13- April 2/13
File Transfer...
Mar 11/13
Med's Done....
Dec 20/12
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July30/13
VISA ISSUED...
July30/13
LANDED..........
Aug19/13
hazamc said:
Congratulation. Have a Great Day and Enjoy Your New Lovely Life.
Thank you and yes I will definitely enjoy my new life with my new wife!!

She will be here in Canada in about 2 weeks.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
KKRSTNA said:
Hey guys! I'm here again to ask another question... sorry if I'm starting to become annoying.

So, it's official! I've booked my one way ticket to Ontario and I'll be living with my boyfriend starting Oct 16th!

Now, my question: Is there ANY WAY I can work at all while I'm there? even if I'm considered a visitor? I'm quite young, (19...20 in two months) I plan on going to school there once we get approved for common law. I'm currently working a retail job here in Southern California. I've saved up a lot of money, plus my family will be giving me money before I leave. I just worry about running out of money for the 6 months + I plan to stay there AND then having to worry about the spousal application fee. I also don't want to feel like I'm useless and can't help my boyfriend pay bills, etc... he says they're loopholes, but knowing him I'm sure he said that just trying to keep me from worrying.

Can someone please tell me something?! :(
The rules in Canada are that if you are a foreign national (which you are) then you must have a work permit in order to work. To obtain a work permit you must either qualify under one of the various international agreements (e.g., NAFTA for US nationals) OR your prospective employer must obtain permission (via a Labour Market Opinion letter) to hire your services. It is difficult to obtain such a letter for work in the retail sector and most employers are generally not willing to go through the process.

Stinky

Feb 21, 2013
Hello all

I am very close to submitting my wife's sponsorship application, but the one last thing that is giving us problem is getting her Upfront Medical Examination done. She lives in Iraq and unfortunately there is only one place in the capital Baghdad at the INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION FOR IMMIGRATION (IOM) that will do these exams.

When she went to the hospital they said the hospital receives a list from the Canadian Embessy to as who is required to get the test done because if they do it now it will not be valid for a long time ??!! Yet in the Application Form and the checklist it states that an upfront examination is required before submitting the application. I AM CONFUSED HERE

What to do ????

Thanks for help

I.kat

Jul 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Amman
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 3, 2012
File Transfer...
July 3, 2012
Med's Request
May 22, 2013
Med's Done....
1st med-Dec 2011/ 2nd med-May 26 2013
LANDED..........
January 18 2014
Hello everyone,

I received an email that our file was submitted for background and security check. I have a question, will it take longer if my husband did not include a criminal check from one of the countries he lived in for more than six months? the reason we didnt include it was because at the time we sent the application, it wasnt six months and we didnt think he would stay for so long. Also. the country im talking about is syria, so if they ever asked for it how is he ever to go back to that country? he will risk his life.

he went to syria in oct 2011 and returned to iraq in july 2012. we sent the application in april 2012. ( he only included a criminal check from iraq)

hina2203

Jul 30, 2013
hello everyone

i am new to this forum and like everyone i need help in filling up my Application form.Me and my spouse are almost close to submitting application but have few doubts. under sponsored spouse questionnaire the have asked the period of cohabitation now that question is for married couples or for conjugal partner .pls help

chaptr3

Jul 29, 2013
Leon said:
Did you apply for the open work permit along with your application package? If you did not apply for either the visitor visa extension or an open work permit, you are now out of status and staying in Canada illegally. You would have to apply to restore your status again to visitor and you would be better off if you don't leave.
I hate admitting being naïve and fear your answer, but we "consulted" an immigration firm without actually hiring them. We were led to believe that an "Open Work Permit" was an automatic by-product of the spousal sponsorship...so, No...I did not apply for the Open Work Permit with the Family Class Sponsorship application.
What to do now? Plus, I still have the issue of needing to go to Singapore in October for a few days. Illegal. Wow. Could I just go back to the States for a short time and try to get a new Visitor Visa when at the border when I re-enter?
This seemed daunting, but do-able at the onset. Now it seems to be becoming a nitemare.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
chaptr3 said:
o do now? Plus, I still have the issue of needing to go to Singapore in October for a few days. Illegal. Wow. Could I just go back to the States for a short time and try to get a new Visitor Visa when at the border when I re-enter?
You can certainly try. But there's no guarantee a new visitor visa will be issued to you. And if you're not allowed back into Canada, this effectively cancels / abandons your application and you'll have to start again from scratch.

chie_31

Jul 30, 2013
Hi! Thanks for the tons of information your posting. I just have few questions. I'm a PR here in canada and just got married last june.I'd like to sponsor my husband as soon as the documents(marriage certificate and annulment papers) are release.Our situation is a little bit complicated. We were in a 3 -year relationship before we got married. My husband also has a child from his first marriage. we've been planning to get married for almost 2 years but we can't do it before because the annulment is not yet done. Then the lawyer who is handling the case said last year that the annulment will be done by june so i booked my vacation for june to go home(philippines) and get married.The problem is, the annulment is not yet done until i went back home last june. Since i cannot go back to the philippines again before this year end to get married because the company that i'm working here will not allow it,we asked the lawyer if we can get married even though the annulment papers are not yet release. the lawyer said yes we can and we will just register it later. So we got married last june but the problem is the pastor who solemnized our wedding had it registered in the civil registrar.My question is,will there be any problem in the immigration if they see that our marriage certificate is registered ahead the annulment?we're planning to apply for late registration once the annulment process is done but we are not sure though if that would work because it has been filed/registered already.also,my husband works in middle east( went back there also after the wedding).Is it possible that he will have his medical in middle east while his daughter will have it in the philippines and the application will be process in the philippines?Do we need to get a letter from a lawyer stating that the custody of the child will be on my husband?
I hope you could help us because both of us( me and my husband) don't know what to do

Thanks

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
constantine_tiberius said:
Sir Leon, how long does it take to wait for the visa after the passport request? thanks...
Depends on the VO, anywhere from one month and up to 10 if it's New Delhi.

tamarindball

Sep 10, 2012
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Kingston
App. Filed.......
November 30, 2012
AOR Received.
December 11, 2012
File Transfer...
January 9, 2013
Med's Done....
November 13, 2012
Someone asked me if PP has ever bn requested to be followed later by a refusal. My answer was no, but then not really sure. Can someone advise? I have never read of same however.

parker24 said:
Depends on the VO, anywhere from one month and up to 10 if it's New Delhi.
Leon said:
So you are in the situation that you want to sponsor your foreign spouse for permanent residency of Canada and don't know where to start. Here are some tips:

Married, common law or conjugal partners

First you need to pick an application class. There are three of them: married, common-law and conjugal. For all of them, you need to prove the genuineity of your relationship. For common-law, you need to prove that you have lived together for 12 months or longer. For conjugal, you need to prove that you have combined your affairs as much as possible but there are real immigration barriers or other barriers preventing you from living together or getting married. Conjugal is the hardest to prove. For example, if your partner could get a visit visa to come to Canada for 6 months and then apply for an extension to get the full year, even though they will not be allowed to work, that is not considered an immigration barrier. An immigration barrier is if your partner tries to get a visit visa to come to Canada and is repeatedly refused. Some people have had luck with the conjugal class but try to avoid it if possible.

Outland or inland?

Now you need to decide if to apply outland or inland. If your spouse is not in Canada and can not get a visa to go to Canada, you must apply outland. That means that you will send your application to Mississauga and they will approve you as a sponsor. The time that takes is usually 1-2 months to but current processing times can be seen here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#sponsorship After that, the application is forwarded to your local visa office. If your spouse is residing in a country other than the country of their nationality, you can pick which of the two visa offices you want. Otherwise it will be processed in their country of nationality. You can see the processing times here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp

If your spouse is staying in Canada as a visitor or on some other visa, you can pick whether you want to apply outland or inland. Outland is generally faster and has appeal rights but a downside to outland is that if an interview is required, your spouse will have to travel to the visa office in the country where it's being processed. Inland has the downside that it's generally not advised that your spouse travels while you are waiting for your processing because it is a requirement of inland that they reside in Canada and if they are denied entry at the border for some reason, your application is gone. If an interview is required for inland, you may also have to wait a long time for it. The inland application would be sent to Vegreville and if all goes well, you would get a first stage approval, usually in 6 to 8 months. The current processing times can be seen here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#perm_res Then the file is forwarded to your local CIC office where you live and they will contact you for a landing appointment. Getting the PR with inland usually takes 12-18 months. If an interview is required for inland, Vegreville will not give first stage approval but instead will forward the application to the local CIC office without it and you will have to wait for them to have time for your interview. In some cases that can take a year or two. If you do get the first stage approval, your spouse will usually be eligible for health care and an open work permit. It is actually a good idea when applying inland to send an application form for a visit visa extension as well as the open work permit to be given at first stage approval all in one package so it's tied together.

Which method to pick depends on your situation. If your spouses country of nationality has a long processing time or your spouse does not want to have to travel there for a possible interview, then inland is the way to go. For faster processing and freedom of travel during the processing time, outland would be better. You can find the application forms for inland at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp and the application forms for outland at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

Avoiding potential problems with your application

The most common reason for people to be called for an interview is that the visa officer has doubts about the relationship being genuine. It is up to you to send immigration some quality data, emails, chat logs, phone records, photos, letters and other material to prove to them that your relationship is the real thing. Other reasons you might have problems with is eligibility of the sponsor. The sponsor can not be on social assistance, can not be bankrupt and can not have a record of violent crimes or crimes against family members. If that is the case, better talk to a lawyer and get that cleared up before attempting to apply.

Dependent children

If your spouse has dependent children, they must be included in the PR application, even if they are not coming to Canada. They will need to have medicals as well to keep the option open to sponsor them later. The only way that immigration will accept the application without those medicals is if the children are no longer minors and refuse to have it or if the children are in the full custody of their other parent who refuses to make them available for medicals. In that case, your spouse needs to sign a statement stating that they know that they will never be able to sponsor these children to Canada in the future.

Dependent children are classified as single and either under 22 years of age or if they are older, they must have been full time students since before age 22 or dependent on their parent due to a disability or medical problem.

Refusals due to income and medicals

You will be asked to provide information about your income but you will not be denied to sponsor your spouse and dependent children because you do not make enough money. It is possible though that if you make absolutely no money at all that immigration may ask you how you plan to support yourselves.

Spouses and dependent children are also exempt from the clause about excessive demand on health care so you do not have to worry about them being refused for that reason.

Sponsoring your spouse while living in another country

If you are a Canadian citizen, you can sponsor your spouse without being in Canada but you do then have to prove that you are planning on moving to Canada when your spouse gets approved for permanent residency. Such proof can include having arranged jobs, being accepted to college, having arranged housing or letters from friends & relatives stating that they know of your plans and that you can stay with them while you look for housing etc.

If you are a PR, you must reside in Canada in order to sponsor your spouse. You can chance short vacations (remember that a Canadian vacation is generally no longer than 2 weeks) but if immigration finds out that you are not in Canada, you risk getting your application refused.