+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

BossJa

Nov 27, 2012
Thanks Mr. Geek

That sounds great, maybe proof of employment here in the U.S. could be at least one good reason for me to get a visitors visa to canada. Thanks a lot guys, im gonna apply for a visitor visa to Canada from here in the U.S. and hope ill get through or my Mother in Law is gonna kill me.

Is there a link to a website i can go to do so, or an embassy close to the San Jose area in California? Thanks in advance.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
BossJa said:
Thanks Mr. Geek

That sounds great, maybe proof of employment here in the U.S. could be at least one good reason for me to get a visitors visa to canada. Thanks a lot guys, im gonna apply for a visitor visa to Canada from here in the U.S. and hope ill get through or my Mother in Law is gonna kill me.

Is there a link to a website i can go to do so, or an embassy close to the San Jose area in California? Thanks in advance.
cic.gc.ca

The kinds of evidence would include: evidence of employment, evidence that your employment is ongoing (e.g., a letter from your boss), evidence that you have a home (a lease, for example) and evidence that you have the financial means to support yourself while visiting Canada.

The nearest offices to you are in LA or Seattle, but you should still start with the main website. None of the offices offer walk-in service any longer.

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
I just received an email yesterday evening from my visa office which said, "In order to continue processing your file, we require: Your current passport, valid for at least 6 months. Must be received within 30 days of this email" That's all it says, no further explanation.

So I'm pretty sure it means my husband's PR is approved because our visa office doesn't collect passports early and hold onto them. However, ecas still just says "Application received" just like it has since we received AOR from Mississauga. Is this ok? There is no address added for him, there is nothing written as "In process" or anything. I know it's normal for people to have their status stay as In process for a long time and not change to Decision Made, but is it normal for it to stay as Application Received and not change to In Process for a while even with what I assume is his passport request.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tink23 said:
So I'm pretty sure it means my husband's PR is approved because our visa office doesn't collect passports early and hold onto them. However, ecas still just says "Application received" just like it has since we received AOR from Mississauga.
Congrats and don't worry about eCas, they don't always update it on a regular basis.

Screenager

May 25, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wow i love this place.

My wife is a canadian citizen and wevbeen married for a year now. We both live in pakistan. Substantial proofs of relationship genuiness, photos from wedding, receptions, honeymoon etc.

Can she sponsor me under spousal sponsorship while living here in Pakistan?
She doesnt work and has no stable income stream here, will this be a problem?
Im an Mba from an elite Pakistani business school, have been working in family business and freelancing online.

We Have decided to move to canada. My wives sister also lives in canada.

What are my chances?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Screenager said:
Wow i love this place.

My wife is a canadian citizen and wevbeen married for a year now. We both live in pakistan. Substantial proofs of relationship genuiness, photos from wedding, receptions, honeymoon etc.

Can she sponsor me under spousal sponsorship while living here in Pakistan?
She doesnt work and has no stable income stream here, will this be a problem?
Im an Mba from an elite Pakistani business school, have been working in family business and freelancing online.

We Have decided to move to canada. My wives sister also lives in canada.

What are my chances?
Yes - your wife can sponsor you from Pakistan because she is a Canadian citizen.

No - it won't be a problem that she has no income stream.

She will have to provide proof as part of the application that she will return to Canada once your PR visa is approved.

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
Leon said:
Congrats and don't worry about eCas, they don't always update it on a regular basis.
Ok, thank you! :)

Kishie

Jun 22, 2012
Hi Leon and Senior Members

I am PR holder and sponsoring my husband (India). I am working in Canada however my sponsored spouse (husband) is currently unemployed from past 9 months.

When he was unemployed I got married to him (ours is love marriage cum arranged marriage). He is trying hard to find an employment in India however no luck till date.

My concerns are:

1. Can I apply for his sponsorship even though he is unemployed for a long time?
2. Will my husband's unemployment hinder (raise red flag) his sponsorship even if I am working in Canada
3. Should I wait till he get employed and then apply for his sponsorship
4. My father-in-law owns a small business. Till my husband don't get job, he is helping my father-in-law in his business (his is not paid for that). Can this period be added as employed in the sponsored spouse application.
5. If it can be added as employed, then do we need to submit any proof (such as letter from my father-in-law)

Please advice. Thanks in advance for your help

hameedhr

Dec 27, 2011
Hey guyus hope you are doing well.

i have recived email from CIC they gave me the file number and asked me to provide the following documents.

Proof that your Permanent Resident sponsor is currently residing in Canada and has been residing in Canada since the sponsorship was submitted. If your sponsor is currently residing in Canada, please provide copies of Canadian tax documents (Notice of Assessment (NOA), T1 and T4); three (3) recent pay stubs and any other document which proves that your sponsor is living in Canada.
- Complete copies of all pages of all passports/travel documents held by your sponsor since 2011. Please ensure that you include copies of all pages (including blank pages). All pages must be clearly legible.

My wife is in Canada and she is studying HR in york.
Kindly advise.

and also pls let me know if i provide the whole documents what would be the timeline after that?

Regards,
Hameed Ahmed

frozenyogurt

Feb 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
APRIL 19, 2012
AOR Received.
JULY 19, 2012
File Transfer...
JULY 30, 2012
Med's Done....
APRIL 03, 2012
Passport Req..
OCTOBER 13, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
NOVEMBER 21, 2012
LANDED..........
DECEMBER 28, 2012 in GOD's WILL THANK YOU JESUS!!!!! ♥
lizel said:
Hi sainyo :)

Bago member lang ako dito lagi ako nag babasa ng mga post dito..
ask ko lang ilang months talaga ang waiting ng SPOUSAL VISA na andito sa pinas?
kakapadala ko palang kasi sa hubby ko ng requirements namin and kaka change status palang niya ipapasa palang niya..
yung iba namin friends 3-4 months nakuha na sana ganun din kami pag ka file. salamat!
Hi lizel... according to CIC website, processing as of today is 11 months approximately. Dati 4-5 months pero ngayon mas matagal na...
I will PM you a link sa Manila spousal mas makaka relate ka dun. This one is an international thread hehe :) Good luck with your application!

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
Kishie said:

I am PR holder and sponsoring my husband (India). I am working in Canada however my sponsored spouse (husband) is currently unemployed from past 9 months.

When he was unemployed I got married to him (ours is love marriage cum arranged marriage). He is trying hard to find an employment in India however no luck till date.

My concerns are:

1. Can I apply for his sponsorship even though he is unemployed for a long time?
2. Will my husband's unemployment hinder (raise red flag) his sponsorship even if I am working in Canada
4. My father-in-law owns a small business. Till my husband don't get job, he is helping my father-in-law in his business (his is not paid for that). Can this period be added as employed in the sponsored spouse application.
5. If it can be added as employed, then do we need to submit any proof (such as letter from my father-in-law)

I'm not a senior member, but I think I can answer these questions.

If in other respects your relationship seems genuine to CIC, then his being unemployed won't be a problem. If there were other things that made them seriously think it wasn't genuine, then they could consider his lack of a job in India as a motive to try to get into Canada.

If you have sufficient proof that your relationship is genuine, then there is no reason to wait for him to get a job before applying.

Income criteria would only be significant if they thought that both of you *together* would be unable to meet your needs once in Canada. Since you're working, this probably won't be a problem. (If you had a long history of being on welfare and only recently started working, then they would look at this.)

I think you shouldn't count unpaid work as employment.

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
hameedhr said:
Hey guyus hope you are doing well.

i have recived email from CIC they gave me the file number and asked me to provide the following documents.

Proof that your Permanent Resident sponsor is currently residing in Canada and has been residing in Canada since the sponsorship was submitted. If your sponsor is currently residing in Canada, please provide copies of Canadian tax documents (Notice of Assessment (NOA), T1 and T4); three (3) recent pay stubs and any other document which proves that your sponsor is living in Canada.
- Complete copies of all pages of all passports/travel documents held by your sponsor since 2011. Please ensure that you include copies of all pages (including blank pages). All pages must be clearly legible.

My wife is in Canada and she is studying HR in york.
Kindly advise.

and also pls let me know if i provide the whole documents what would be the timeline after that?

Regards,
Hameed Ahmed
Hello,

They want your wife's passport to check her travels. They think she may not really be living in Canada. I think they can already check the dates she's crossed the border into Canada. But they don't necessarily know when she's left the country, especially if it's through the U.S. land border. Foreign stamps in her passport would tell them this in part.

Do you mean York University? Send proof of her studies at York, such as transcripts and a certificate of enrolment. If she also works, send pay stubs. If she has the tax documents they want, provide them. Otherwise, have her file a tax return and tell CIC she'll forward the tax documents once she has them. (Who knows, she may get a refund!) You can also use a residential lease, electric/phone bills, and so on, to prove she lives in Canada. Also, ID documents showing addresses in Canada. Be creative if you can and feel you must.

If you need to wait for some documents, then send the ones you already have. Specify in the letter which ones you're still waiting for and say that you'll send them later. I think transcripts from her university will probably satisfy them (unless it's a distance course).

darkhorse64

Sep 17, 2012
Hi , I've posted here before and gotten great answers, so thank you. I have another question regarding spousal sponsorship. Regarding proof of a relationship: What if you have no chat logs? We have communicated strictly with webcam on messenger since we met 3 years ago. Will other evidence be sufficient?

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
Kishie said:

My concerns are:

Related to the Sponsor. CIC has the following:

You may not be eligible to be a sponsor if you:
•failed to provide financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor another relative in the past
•defaulted on a court-ordered support order, such as alimony or child support
•receive government financial assistance for reasons other than a disability
•were convicted of an offence of a sexual nature, a violent criminal offence, an offence against a relative that results in bodily harm or an attempt or threat to commit any such offences—depending on circumstances such as the nature of the offence, how long ago it occurred and whether a record suspension (formerly called “pardons” in Canada), was issued (See Sponsorship Bar for Violent Crime below)
•were previously sponsored as a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner and became a permanent resident of Canada less than 5 years ago (See Five-year Sponsorship Bar for persons who were sponsored to come to Canada as a spouse or partner below)
•defaulted on an immigration loan—late or missed payments
•are in prison or
•have declared bankruptcy and have not been released from it yet.

Other factors not included in this list might also make you ineligible to sponsor a relative.

Please note that nothing says that "if you do not have a job", however, because the sponsor will have to provide support to the applicant it is needed that the sponsor proves that it will be able to do so.

Related to the Applicant (the person being sponsored). Nothing says that the applicant must have a job. In fact, many applicants do not have a job, i.e. housemakers taking care of small children at home. Those applicants will continue to not have a job while in Canada. Nothing says that the applicant will have a problem because of that.

This is what CIC has: Applicants for permanent residence must go through medical, criminal and background screening. Applicants with a criminal record may not be allowed to enter Canada. People who pose a risk to Canada’s security are also not allowed to enter Canada. Applicants may have to provide a certificate from police authorities in their home country. The Sponsor’s Guide for Family Class explains medical, criminal and background checks.

If you go through the application forms you will note that there is no "work history" question for the applicant. So it is apparent that work/job history is unrelated to the process when it comes to the applicant. This does not mean that it may not be frawn upon, but in itself i do not believe it constitutes a reason to deny an application.

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
frege said:
I think it's plausible that a person could make a mistake between celebrated/registered, although the majority of people wouldn't. If you were asked about your answer and said that you'd made this mistake, I don't think there would be proof of misrepresentation. You'd have to be prepared to answer why you didn't make the same mistake on the permanent residence application. (You learned later that it's the date of celebration that counts.)

From manual ENF 2 Section 9.10:

"The following situations would not generally constitute misrepresentation:

Mistakes or misunderstandings:

[...]

Other cases where a person answers truthfully at an interview without hesitation and
it is reasonable to believe that the person did not understand the question on the
application form or forgot the relevant information at that time."

More important perhaps is the following, from section 9.7 of the same manual:

"An application for a visa abroad, or for entry into Canada at a port of entry may be denied
based on a misrepresentation made in connection with the current application or
examination only, unless the person was previously the subject of a refusal for
misrepresentation and the resulting two-year inadmissibility period has not elapsed."

So, based on my reading of this, unless the visa was refused specifically for misrepresentation, this should not be a bar to sponsorship. However, it may attract attention and make other statements you make seem suspect. So documentary evidence of a genuine relationship might be more important for you than for other people.
I think that the applicant could make a plausible case for not having made a misrepresentation if the following (and other similar) factors are in the applicant's favor:
a) a celebrated but unregistered marriage would not entitle you to a name change in the place where the ceremony took place;
b) a celebrated but unregistered marriage would not entitle you to file a joint tax return;
c) a celebrated but unregistered marriage would not require a formal divorce decree to terminate the unregistered relationship;
d) a celebrated but unregistered marriage would not entitle you or your soon-to-be-registered spouse to survivor benefits under the estate laws of your country.

You might also take the position that calling yourself "married" when the marriage was not yet registered would itself have been a misrepresentation, because registration is what makes the marriage "official" in your local jurisdiction.

I'm not a Canadian immigration lawyer, but it seems like it might also be prudent actually to call attention to your initial error and give the reasons why you gave the answer then and why your answer is now different, so it's not a misrepresentation that they uncover, but rather a mistake that you proactively rectify. In the end I think your outcome will depend on who reviews your file, and I would ask an immigration lawyer how best to approach this issue because you don't want to screw this up. Straightforward answers usually win...