Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2016
AOR Received.
02-03-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Hello again! First of all, I really appreciate the help from everyone on here! It has been an amazing resource!

Quick question about supporting documents..

1) Today I downloaded our entire Kakao Talk history and it is SO LONG! becuase it is so long i copied it into a word document and deleted all but two to three days worth of chats for each month. i chose random days for each month and just deleted the rest.. is that okay? That way they can still see that we have had ongoing conversation.. but it isnt everything.. because its way too long.

2) Is taking screen shots of skype call logs and facebook messages enough ?

3) My partner and I speak mostly in english with a few korean words thrown in here and there.. is it necessary to have all of those random korean words and a few sentences translated? or is it enough for them to just stay in korean and for them to be able to see ongoing english conversation around those few areas?

4) If i should translate all of the korean... can I just do it myself, unofficially, with a pen after I have it printed out?

5) Also , my partners name is in korean on the screen shots of skype call logs, on the facebook chats, and on the Kakao talk history... is it fine if i just go in with a pen and on the first page write his name in english beside the korean? or would I have to do that for every single message where his name appears... (which is A LOT )

Thank you so much in advance !

jmomcc

Star Member
May 29, 2014
I saw on page 39 Bartjones laid out how to switch over a korean license to an ontario license. I'm assuming that is the same process?

Also, has anyone ever got their driving record printed out at a police station before they left Korea? Do you know what it is called in Korean?

Thirdly - more general - I'm leaving Korea and landing in Canada as a PR in 3 weeks. Anything I should get paperwork wise before I go? I'm bringing pay slips, banking info.. anything else? All the docs I needed to apply for PR are in Canada.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
NRSY said:
Quick question about supporting documents..

1) Today I downloaded our entire Kakao Talk history and it is SO LONG! becuase it is so long i copied it into a word document and deleted all but two to three days worth of chats for each month. i chose random days for each month and just deleted the rest.. is that okay? That way they can still see that we have had ongoing conversation.. but it isnt everything.. because its way too long.

2) Is taking screen shots of skype call logs and facebook messages enough ?

3) My partner and I speak mostly in english with a few korean words thrown in here and there.. is it necessary to have all of those random korean words and a few sentences translated? or is it enough for them to just stay in korean and for them to be able to see ongoing english conversation around those few areas?

4) If i should translate all of the korean... can I just do it myself, unofficially, with a pen after I have it printed out?

5) Also , my partners name is in korean on the screen shots of skype call logs, on the facebook chats, and on the Kakao talk history... is it fine if i just go in with a pen and on the first page write his name in english beside the korean? or would I have to do that for every single message where his name appears... (which is A LOT )
Really including all of this is entirely optional, so it's completely up to you how you want to present it.

I like the idea of just taking snapshots of the chats based on a couple random ones per month, and show the dates from beginning of relationship to present.

I wouldn't bother translating everything, I doubt the visa office is going to sit there and read each and every page, if they even look at the content at all. I would just translate yourself what you think needs translating. But really anything you choose is fine as chat logs are just 1 piece of the whole relationship proof package you're submitting.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
jmomcc said:
Thirdly - more general - I'm leaving Korea and landing in Canada as a PR in 3 weeks. Anything I should get paperwork wise before I go? I'm bringing pay slips, banking info.. anything else? All the docs I needed to apply for PR are in Canada.
You don't need pay slips or banking info. All you need is passport, COPR, and B4 documents if you're importing anything. That's it.
You will also need to provide the address in Canada they will send your PR card to.

tcbaek

May 19, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-06-2015
AOR Received.
2015-07-25
File Transfer...
2015-08-27
Med's Done....
18-06-2015
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
My husband received this today. He is from korea, which is a visa exempt country. They make it seem like I MUST submit his passport. But I don't right???

Dear ******:

This refers to your application for permanent residence in Canada. Your application is being processed in CPC-Ottawa. You should contact our office in CPC-Ottawa should you need to provide updates for any of your information.
Your application has reached the final stage of processing. In order to finalize your application, you must submit the documents listed below. If you are a person from a visa-exempt country, see also information under Visa-exempt nationals on the following page.

When issued, your visa(s) and/or Confirmation of Permanent Resident Form(s) would be valid until 06/18/2016 (mm/dd/yy).

In order to complete the process, you must submit the following within 30 days of this letter:
1. The original passports for yourself and every family member who will accompany you to Canada. See Important Notes about Passports and Visa Validity in the following pages for more information.

2. Completed Appendix A (attached). Ensure that you have clearly indicated your file number (F000367173), your return address, e-mail address and contact information for delivery purposes.

3. Two (2) recent photographs each of yourself and every family member who will accompany you to Canada. For photo specifications, consult the following link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/pdf/5445EB-e.pdf. Damaged photographs (ie. With pen marks, ink blots, stains, creases, staples) will not be accepted and will cause a delay in the processing of your visa(s) and/or Confirmation of Permanent Resident Form(s).

Visa-exempt nationals

Persons from visa-exempt countries do not require a visa to enter Canada and will be issued only a Confirmation of Permanent Resident Form. Find out if you are from a visa-exempt country at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp.

If you are from a visa-exempt country, you need only to submit a photocopy of the biographic page of the passport(s), along with a completed Appendix A and passport photos of yourself and every family member who will accompany you to Canada. Ensure that copies are clear and readable.

How and Where to Submit your Passport(s) and required documents

The required documents (Appendix A, passports and photos) must be submitted together thru either of the following options:

1. Visa Application Centres (VACs)

For more information, visit http://www.vfsglobal.ca/canada/Philippines/index.html

2. In Canada (CPC-O) – if applicable

If you and all the accompanying dependents on your application are currently in Canada and plan to be in Canada for at least three months, you may submit your passport(s) to the Case Processing Centre – Ottawa (“CPC-O”). You are required to send your passport(s) together, along with a copy of this letter by mail or courier to the following address.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
tcbaek said:
My husband received this today. He is from korea, which is a visa exempt country. They make it seem like I MUST submit his passport. But I don't right???
You already answered your own question:

If you are a person from a visa-exempt country, see also information under Visa-exempt nationals on the following page.

Visa-exempt nationals

Persons from visa-exempt countries do not require a visa to enter Canada and will be issued only a Confirmation of Permanent Resident Form. Find out if you are from a visa-exempt country at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp.

If you are from a visa-exempt country, you need only to submit a photocopy of the biographic page of the passport(s), along with a completed Appendix A and passport photos of yourself and every family member who will accompany you to Canada. Ensure that copies are clear and readable.

tcbaek

May 19, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-06-2015
AOR Received.
2015-07-25
File Transfer...
2015-08-27
Med's Done....
18-06-2015
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Thought so...just wanted to check and be sure, because others posted receiving the PPR letter saying exactly what they needed to do. Do i send photos for my daughter and myself who are both canadian citizens?

Rob_TO said:
You already answered your own question:

If you are a person from a visa-exempt country, see also information under Visa-exempt nationals on the following page.

Visa-exempt nationals

NRSY

Star Member
Jan 8, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2016
AOR Received.
02-03-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Hello! quick question about notarizing documents.

The only documents i can see on the checklist that need to be certified and notarized are the two korean documents that need to have certified translations or notarized with an affidavit.

-Should i be getting certified translations of shared bills from korea also? or are normal uncertified translations okay for that? And what about my partners id card.. and my id card from korea.. should those be certified translations?

-What about notarization... should i be getting the copies of our passports, my birth certificate, and a copy of our rental lease notarized to prove its a real copy?

I havent seen anything in the guide really about notarization other than those 2 korean documents Old (deleted) family census and family history one

thank you!

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
jmomcc said:
I saw on page 39 Bartjones laid out how to switch over a korean license to an ontario license. I'm assuming that is the same process?

Also, has anyone ever got their driving record printed out at a police station before they left Korea? Do you know what it is called in Korean?
As far as I know, the process is the same.

Not sure what the driving record is called in Korean. Why would you need it?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
NRSY said:
The only documents i can see on the checklist that need to be certified and notarized are the two korean documents that need to have certified translations or notarized with an affidavit.
Not sure what you mean by the documents "need to be certified".

If you are submitting original documents, those documents do not need to be certified as they are already the original. You ONLY need to certify photocopies of documents that are not in english

From what I remember, all of the Korean docs you need to submit will be the originals. So you will submit the original, and then the notarized translation. And that's it.

-Should i be getting certified translations of shared bills from korea also? or are normal uncertified translations okay for that? And what about my partners id card.. and my id card from korea.. should those be certified translations?
The bills are not required documents they are part of your relationship proof, so it's entirely up to you if you want to get these professionally translated.

-What about notarization... should i be getting the copies of our passports, my birth certificate, and a copy of our rental lease notarized to prove its a real copy?
Again, only if the originals you are copying are not in english. Many Korean ID docs (like a passport) already have english on it so no need for a certified copy, just a regular photocopy.

I havent seen anything in the guide really about notarization other than those 2 korean documents Old (deleted) family census and family history one
Actually the guide is quite clear on this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3999Etoc.asp
Translation of documents
Any document that is not in English or French must be accompanied by:
-the English or French translation; and
-an affidavit from the person who completed the translation; and
-a certified copy of the original document.

Certified true copies
To have a photocopy of a document certified, an authorized person must compare the original document to the photocopy and must print the following on the photocopy:

NRSY

Star Member
Jan 8, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2016
AOR Received.
02-03-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Hello! I have run into another question

**EDIT- just read a lot more about this and im pretty sure I was right when i completed my documents... the date should be the date AFTER one year of living together ... Sorry for the message!***

I have finished putting together our application.. just waiting on a document from korea and our translations to be finished!

I am a little bit concerned after reading a lot of posts in other threads on here about the "date entered into a common-law relationship"

on CIC it says "Enter the date (year, month, day) you were married or you entered into your current common-law relationship.

Note: This is the date your status officially changed from being single to common-law, not the date you started living together."

So I put on our documents that the date we entered into our common-law relationship as the day it turned into 1 year of living together for example: if we started living together November 1st, 2014.. I would have put November 1st,2015 as the day entered into your common-law relationship on the forms

However, I read a lot of posts in a different thread how the date entered into common-law relationship should be the date that you moved in (which in the case of my example above would have been November 1st, 2014)
They said that the wording is weird because if you were room mates then fell in love and started dating like 6 months later then the day entered into common-law would be different as the day you moved in...
Im not sure I believe this...
What have others used who have been successful as their dates? date moved in or date after living together for 1 year ?

Thanks !
Just dont want to send off these documents next week and have made a big mistake!

jmomcc

Star Member
May 29, 2014
bartjones said:
As far as I know, the process is the same.

Not sure what the driving record is called in Korean. Why would you need it?
I thought for insurance maybe. I also thought you might need it when switching your license over.

Joeweed

Sep 13, 2015
Hi everyone,

1)We were just about to send everything, when suddenly looking over SPONSORSHIP OF A SPOUSE LIVING OUTSIDE OF CANADA PART 3: COUNTRY SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS we noticed that we have to include 9 recent photos of all family members. We have the 9 of my wife (PA), but do we need to include mine (Sponsor) and our two young children (Canadians living in Korea)?

2) Also, in the proof in this section, it says to include proof of visits (airline tickets) and phone calls. Do I need to include all this even though we've been living here in Korea for the past 6 years?

Thanks again and happy holidays

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Joeweed said:
Hi everyone,

1)We were just about to send everything, when suddenly looking over SPONSORSHIP OF A SPOUSE LIVING OUTSIDE OF CANADA PART 3: COUNTRY SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS we noticed that we have to include 9 recent photos of all family members. We have the 9 of my wife (PA), but do we need to include mine (Sponsor) and our two young children (Canadians living in Korea)?

2) Also, in the proof in this section, it says to include proof of visits (airline tickets) and phone calls. Do I need to include all this even though we've been living here in Korea for the past 6 years?

Thanks again and happy holidays
1 - No, photos are only for people being sponsored (so just the applicant).

2 - No, this is optional and mainly just for couples in long distance relationships.