Sponsoring my Korean wife for permanent residency

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
buttersmom said:
Hi all

I'm a may 2015 applicant. I'm wondering about the processing time for South Korean applicant. I'm a sponsored person and live in Canada for 11 years with Student visa +Postgraduate working permit + Visitor (now). so I have no record in Korea for last 11 years .

A. Is it might be more time for VO getting my criminal + security checks from CSIS & RCMP ?

B. I heard Manilla VO is asking Appendix A even before they start processing the file. So I'm wondering how long other people take to get DM after requested their Appendix A?

This is my time line

Applicant received: May 20
Sponsorship Approved: july 14
File transffered to Manila:July 20
Appendix A requested: Aug 14 ( Sent it by Email the day requested)
Ip since Aug 14.

Thank u for ur time and looking forward to hear siniors!
A. probably would not.

B.VO would request more supporting docs before they actually start to process your file. (I was)

C. Processing time is 17month on cic (that starts when your file transfer to Manila , does not include the time till your parter got approved as a sponsor )
so no one knows how long it would take, you might get early approval or get it someday next year.
it is waiting game.

dbtmalex

Jan 12, 2015
I just had a look at Appendix A form IMM4000 which we did not submit with our original documents. But mostly looks like documents that were already submitted with the original application as part of IMM3907 "Country Specific Instructions" which also contains an Appendix A and an Appendix B. The main differences I see between 4000 and 3907 is that 4000 asks for language test results and proof of funds, both things that I didn't think were needed for a married couple with no dependents.

Confused, as always :eek:

buttersmom

Aug 21, 2015
floomy said:
A. probably would not.

B.VO would request more supporting docs before they actually start to process your file. (I was)

C. Processing time is 17month on cic (that starts when your file transfer to Manila , does not include the time till your parter got approved as a sponsor )
so no one knows how long it would take, you might get early approval or get it someday next year.
it is waiting game.
Thanks for quick reply floomy!
I guess only thing i can do now is just wait till i hear news from VO.
If i get any news for my application, i'll share it.
Thanks again and good luck who is waiting for DM.

jalee5225

Jul 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2015
Doc's Request.
09-10-2015
AOR Received.
08-10-2015
File Transfer...
05-10-2015
Med's Request
Sent with app
Med's Done....
Sent with app
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
3/9/2016
LANDED..........
3/9/2016
dbtmalex said:
Actually it ended up at CPC Ottawa along with another person on the previous page. I emailed them in August to ask why this was and never received a response.

Another question, will there be any issues with my wife visiting Canada as a tourist for a month while our outland application is pending? She will still have a job in Korea and return ticket. What kind of questions should she expect at the airport?

Thanks in advance!
Probably no problems, but my wife went once while her application was pending and she got interviewed on her way back into Canada. She's going to Korea again, and I imagine on her return to Canada she will be interviewed yet again.

Some questions they asked her:
1. Are you going to work?
2. What are you going to do in Canada?
3. Where are you staying?
4. Are you going to work? (they seem to like this question lol)

When she left for Korea and came back to Canada, I made sure she had a copy of our entire application file just in case they wanted to look at it. Sure enough they did. According to my wife, the CBSA officer took a look at it since it was prior to us receiving our UCID and such. I'd like to think it was helpful. At the worst, she had an envelope in her bag that she had to lug around. Worth the trade off I think.

The only other thing is they were interviewing a lot of Koreans that day, and I ended up waiting 3 hours at the airport waiting. Not my favourite part.

dbtmalex

Jan 12, 2015
jalee5225 said:
Probably no problems, but my wife went once while her application was pending and she got interviewed on her way back into Canada. She's going to Korea again, and I imagine on her return to Canada she will be interviewed yet again.

Some questions they asked her:
1. Are you going to work?
2. What are you going to do in Canada?
3. Where are you staying?
4. Are you going to work? (they seem to like this question lol)

When she left for Korea and came back to Canada, I made sure she had a copy of our entire application file just in case they wanted to look at it. Sure enough they did. According to my wife, the CBSA officer took a look at it since it was prior to us receiving our UCID and such. I'd like to think it was helpful. At the worst, she had an envelope in her bag that she had to lug around. Worth the trade off I think.

The only other thing is they were interviewing a lot of Koreans that day, and I ended up waiting 3 hours at the airport waiting. Not my favourite part.
Thank you kindly for the response!

storm43

May 4, 2015
Hey Guys,

We have submitted our outland application about 6 weeks ago, but still have not heard anything back from CIC. I know that the package was received at Mississauga office as Canada Post provided signature for CIC acknowledging the receipt of the package but no words at all afterwards. Is is normal? Does anyone know how I can follow up? I've heard CIC is not very slow with responses.

Thanks!

Joeweed

Sep 13, 2015
Hi guys,

I'm jst looking to clear something up that I can't seem to find a final answer on. I've been living in Korea for 10 years. Do I need the option c printout? I have my work salary, and so forth in Korea. I have called that office several times but for some reason they never pick up even during office hours. We want to send everything to Manila ASAP but that's something we are waiting on. Can someone clear this up for me?

Also, my wife is worried that our children need Canadian passports before we leave. They only have Korean passports but do have citizenship cards.

Thanks again for your help.

Joey

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Joeweed said:
Also, my wife is worried that our children need Canadian passports before we leave. They only have Korean passports but do have citizenship cards.
we made Canadian passport for our daughter (dual citizen) when we left Korea.
we showed her Korean passport at incheon airport and showed her Canadian at Vancouver (CBSA did not request her Korean passport)
so they should have both Korea and Canadian passport, don't think they can use citizen certificate at the Airport.
p.s also asked same question to officer at the Canadian embassy and custom officer in inchoen airport , both told me that our daughter should have both passports.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
floomy said:
we made Canadian passport for our daughter (dual citizen) when we left Korea.
we showed her Korean passport at incheon airport and showed her Canadian at Vancouver (CBSA did not request her Korean passport)
so they should have both Korea and Canadian passport, don't think they can use citizen certificate at the Airport.
p.s also asked same question to officer at the Canadian embassy and custom officer in inchoen airport , both told me that our daughter should have both passports.
They don't need a Canadian passport. Kids are able to travel on any visa-exempt passport.

Joeweed

Sep 13, 2015
Thanks Floomy and Rob. We've traveled to Canada several times before with no issue, but this time it's a one-way. We will probably not get their passports before they leave. We'll bring their other docs.

And any advice on Option C? Is it needed? I've been in Korea for 10 years.

jalee5225

Jul 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2015
Doc's Request.
09-10-2015
AOR Received.
08-10-2015
File Transfer...
05-10-2015
Med's Request
Sent with app
Med's Done....
Sent with app
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
3/9/2016
LANDED..........
3/9/2016
So my wife needed to resubmit the police background check, but at the local police station, they said they aren't doing the lapsed criminal history one anymore? Something about new legislation taking effect on the 13th or so?

Anyone know anything about this?

ad rasheed

Star Member
Jan 3, 2014
all, i have applied to sponsor my wife we bith live in L.A. she was studying in montreal before we got married. i am naturalized candaian so now i have sent her sponsorship application we sent our application in may. then we recieved a letter saying that my application as sponsor is approved and that my wif's file is sent to london visa office as she was born in pakistan. today i got an email from london visa office asking some forms

-Updated, signed Schedule A form for yourself.

- Updated, original Pakistan Police Certificate.

- Medical examination; please note that medical instruction forms will be emailed separately.

- Please have your sponsor fully complete a new Sponsor Questionnaire (IMM5540) form.and a police certf of my wife from canada.

we ave to submit them within 30 days otherwise our application will be rejected. plz tell me where to get canadian police certf. in US with finger prints.

NRSY

Star Member
Jan 8, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2016
AOR Received.
02-03-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Hello! Havent been on here in a while but my boyfriend and I are now common law and are starting to put together our application. Just one thing we are having trouble deciding, whether to apply inland or outland. Currently we are both living in Canada (Im Canadian he is Korean) and he is here on a working holiday visa that last until the middle of August 2016 (not renewable). We are planning to have our application complete by the end of December as we have a lot of documents collected already we just basically have to fill them out and do the health checks and stuff (we got a lot of his documents before we left Korea).

What do you guys suggest doing? Inland our outland? The benefit of inland is that he would get a 2 year open work permit with the application and would be able to stay here for the duration of the application process.. but it takes so long! And with outland.. he only has until August to stay in Canada.. what are the odds that his application would be done with by August (8 months)? If he applies inland would he be able to travel to korea to visit during those 2 years it could take? If he applies outland would he have to go back to korea once his working holiday visa expires in August? And if he did have to return to korea would that make our common law relationship irrelevant because we had stopped living together?

Thank you, any input is greatly appreciated!! We have some pretty strong evidence of our relationship to send in if that helps at all and no complications like previous marriages or dependants or anything like that.. just the two of us!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
NRSY said:
what are the odds that his application would be done with by August (8 months)?
There's a chance an outland app would be done in 8-12 months.

If he applies inland would he be able to travel to korea to visit during those 2 years it could take?
Traveling is a risk since if he's denied re-entry to Canada, the inland app is cancelled. However with an OWP in hand and a visa-exempt passport, the chance of being denied is very slim. I know several people who traveled back and forth from Korea multiple times with an inland app in progress and had no problems. However the risk is there even if it's small.

If he applies outland would he have to go back to korea once his working holiday visa expires in August? And if he did have to return to korea would that make our common law relationship irrelevant because we had stopped living together?
No, he wouldn't need to go back to Korea. He could turn his working holiday into visitor status and stay here as a visitor. Of course he would need to stop working.

And no, if he decided to return to Korea while the outland app was finishing up, your common-law status would still be ongoing. The only time you can't break the cohabitation is during the initial 12 months to qualify.

What do you guys suggest doing? Inland our outland?
IMO I would do outland just due to quicker time and that he doesn't need the OWP in the short term. There's a chance the app could finish processing by August. Also there's a chance they could process the outland app in Ottawa (instead of Manila) based on his residence in Canada for at least 1 year. The main risk with outland app is if it isn't done by August and he has to convert to visitor status here, he can't work until PR is approved. The chance of requiring an interview is super low so I wouldn't factor that into your decision.

NRSY

Star Member
Jan 8, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2016
AOR Received.
02-03-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Thanks so much Rob_TO! Very helpful, I think my boyfriend is just not wanting to stay here if he isn't going to be working which is why he keeps moving toward the one that comes with an OWP. But he could do some other things to build his resume like volunteer or something i guess! or take a vacation to korea to see his family!

One more question, I have seen it be recommended to use a lawyer to make sure everything is right? Is that more so for complicated cases? Ive looked through the documents and it doesn't seem THAT confusing and a lot of answers seem to be on this forum or CIC is a call away.

Thanks!