none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
Red Tape Sucks said:
This is fantastic news!!! Thank you BartJones!!

I wonder if my wife will have that AFP status before we leave in July.... would be nice!
Probably not, but either way she has to be a resident of Ontario for 3 months before she can get OHIP coverage. I would get her an Ontario drivers license ASAP when you arrive. OHIP accepts the date you get a license as your date of assuming residency in Ontario. That would make her earliest eligibility date sometime in October, at which point your PR application may be far enough along to qualify for health care coverage.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
CanNZ said:
It was the lapsed records, our original police check didn't cover it.

My mother in law got my wife's new one. My wife had to scan the info page on her passport and write a letter authorizing her mother to request the new police check for her, as well my mother in law had to go to the local gu office and get a family registry form proving that they were indeed mother and daughter. That was it.
Thanks, good to know.

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hello.

I applied outland last Nov and staying in Canada now.
I need to renew my visitor visa soon and have couple of questions .
I really thank you for your help in advance.

1. My husband is working in Canada now (full time and permanent position), so do i need to send photocopy of my bank balance or my husband pay stub as supporting doc for my financial situation?
2. I wanna stay in Canada and wait for my PR, how long should I ask to renew? ( my husband was approved as sponsor and I received email from CIC last Jan that my file has been transferred to Manila)
3. I have a return ticket but do I need to photocopy of that even if I ask to renew more than 6 month?

Thank you again

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
floomy said:
1. My husband is working in Canada now (full time and permanent position), so do i need to send photocopy of my bank balance or my husband pay stub as supporting doc for my financial situation?
Tell them in your covering letter that your husband is working and how much money he makes. If you have some money in the bank send them your most recent bank statement.

2. I wanna stay in Canada and wait for my PR, how long should I ask to renew? ( my husband was approved as sponsor and I received email from CIC last Jan that my file has been transferred to Manila)
Ask for a one year extension. Explain in your covering letter that you have a PR application in process and include your file number and UCI number.

3. I have a return ticket but do I need to photocopy of that even if I ask to renew more than 6 month?
Yes, send a copy of your return ticket and tell them that you are prepared to leave Canada if necessary.

You shouldn't have any trouble getting the extension.

tpx1915

Mar 3, 2014
Thank you again for all the helpful responses about the return ticket and the health insurance.

Unfortunately, we have already booked the one-way tickets. We booked them on Boxing Day because they were very cheap and at that time I naively assumed we would have the PR done by the time we leave. Ha ha. BAD ASSUMPTION!
Also, we are taking our cat with us and he's linked to our tickets. We fly out next Wednesday, so changing tickets aren't an option.
My wife has family in Portland and I might look into a refundable ticket from Toronto to Portland.

I'll get my wife to look into Korean travel insurance for Canada. That's what we did for our honeymoon and it was much cheaper than any Canadian options. I wonder if I can be on Korean travel insurance in Canada. I'll have to ask her.

I'll also check out the link about helping my wife get OHIP earlier than 3 months after she gets her card.

Thanks again!

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
tpx1915 said:
Thank you again for all the helpful responses about the return ticket and the health insurance.

Unfortunately, we have already booked the one-way tickets. We booked them on Boxing Day because they were very cheap and at that time I naively assumed we would have the PR done by the time we leave. Ha ha. BAD ASSUMPTION!
Also, we are taking our cat with us and he's linked to our tickets. We fly out next Wednesday, so changing tickets aren't an option.
My wife has family in Portland and I might look into a refundable ticket from Toronto to Portland.

I'll get my wife to look into Korean travel insurance for Canada. That's what we did for our honeymoon and it was much cheaper than any Canadian options. I wonder if I can be on Korean travel insurance in Canada. I'll have to ask her.

I'll also check out the link about helping my wife get OHIP earlier than 3 months after she gets her card.

Thanks again!
You may want to contact the airline you are flying on to make sure your wife will be able to board the plane without a return ticket. Korean airlines have been known to refuse to allow passengers on a flight if they don't have one.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
tpx1915 said:
Yes it should be fine to get a Korean company for travel insurance, however you should check the logistics of exactly how you make claims. They may expect you to have returned to Korea already, before any claims are paid out. Or if you make claims while in Canada you would need to mail the medical receipts to Korea, and it may be a bit difficult.

Compare Korean quotes with Canadian quotes from Kanetix link I posted above. My wife compared also, and found the difference in price was not much.

bartjones said:
You may want to contact the airline you are flying on to make sure your wife will be able to board the plane without a return ticket. Korean airlines have been known to refuse to allow passengers on a flight if they don't have one.
The main issue (i think) is that they see a ticket leaving Canada. It doesn't necessarily need to be going back to Korea. So buying a refundable 1-way ticket to Portland USA, could be a heck of a lot cheaper than a new 1-way back to Korea.

But yes it's best to give a quick call to the airline to check their policy. In general it makes no sense to demand a return ticket if one is visa-exempt. There is only a strict rule you need the right visa to board a flight to Canada... it's up to CBSA to screen visa-exempt travelers.

CanNZ

Mar 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-13
AOR Received.
10-07-13
File Transfer...
22-07-13
Med's Request
Sent with app.
Med's Done....
14-06-13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2015
LANDED..........
07-03-2015
We sent off our additional info docs on last Tuesday, should arrive in Manila on Monday about 10 days before our deadline. Hopefully it will only be a few more months before my wife gets her PR.

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello.
I have another question before I renew visitor visa.

I have been in Canada for years and went back to Korean and came back to Canada as Visitor.
While I was in Canada, I was refused my work permit renewal and then I applied for restoration of status.
But I left Canada before I received any letter from CIC, so I do not know my application of restoration status is approved or not.

There is question on the form regarding to previous visa rejection.
I am concern if it would be problem to renew visitor visa?
Thank you for your answer in advance.

Marticus

Star Member
Dec 16, 2013
Daegu, South Korea
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-01-2014
Doc's Request.
09-07-2014
AOR Received.
13-02-2014
Med's Done....
31-12-2013
Interview........
N/R
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2014
LANDED..........
16-09-2014
Hey everyone, quick question about ECAS

No big deal either way, just looking to save a few seconds of re-logging in, is all.

I can check our status either via MY name / birthdate etc OR I can use my wife's name / birthdate.

Once things start changing beyond the Mississauga stuff, which one should I be checking? BOTH? (because they show different stuff, eventually) MINE or HERS?

Thanks!

Korea2Canada

Mar 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05- 2013
Doc's Request.
18-11- 2013
AOR Received.
29-05-2013
File Transfer...
30-05-2013
Med's Request
sent with app.
Med's Done....
03-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
Help ( Bartjones -Rob TO )

We just got a notification from Manila

"Documentary evidence of sponsor’s intent to return to Canada such as job offer in Canada, employment contract in Canada, property rental agreement and other evidence showing that he has started moving his affairs back to Canada and severing ties in South Korea."

What should we send?

Thank-you!

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
Marticus said:
Hey everyone, quick question about ECAS

No big deal either way, just looking to save a few seconds of re-logging in, is all.

I can check our status either via MY name / birthdate etc OR I can use my wife's name / birthdate.

Once things start changing beyond the Mississauga stuff, which one should I be checking? BOTH? (because they show different stuff, eventually) MINE or HERS?

Thanks!
There was a thread about this question last month. Different people had different experiences. This is what I experienced with our application.

Once I had sponsorship approval, thereafter if I logged into ECAS using my information, it showed the status of my sponsorship application (i.e. "Decision Made"). If I wanted to find out the status of my wife's application I had to log in using her information.

Once the file is transferred to Manila, your wife will be assigned her own UCI number. Unfortunately, CIC will not tell you what that number is until they start processing her application. I called the CIC call center back in June last year, and they gave me her UCI number, which I then used to log into ECAS for status updates. In our case her UCI number was the same as my UCI number plus one.

So I would suggest calling them and asking what her UCI number is and use that when logging in to ECAS.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Korea2Canada said:

"Documentary evidence of sponsor's intent to return to Canada such as job offer in Canada, employment contract in Canada, property rental agreement and other evidence showing that he has started moving his affairs back to Canada and severing ties in South Korea."

What should we send?
There are several other threads in the general family section, that could give lots of hints and tips. We never had to do this since we were already in Canada.

You must have some plan to re-locate back to Canada. I would include as many things as you can think of for that. Explain your general plan in a small essay, show a Canadian bank account is opened, testimony letter from any family/friends that you will stay with when first arriving, correspondence to a real estate agent if you are looking to buy/rent a home, etc etc. You don't have to have actual things confirmed since you haven't moved yet... but just showing you've begun the process should be acceptable.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
Korea2Canada said:

"Documentary evidence of sponsor's intent to return to Canada such as job offer in Canada, employment contract in Canada, property rental agreement and other evidence showing that he has started moving his affairs back to Canada and severing ties in South Korea."

What should we send?

Thank-you!
This is what I said in our application. I told them that I had been searching for accommodation on websites a, b and c. I told them that I didn't have a job but had been looking for work on websites d, e and f. I told them that I had been looking at used cars on websites g,h and i and cell phone plans on websites j,k and l. I also pointed out the glaringly obvious fact that I couldn't really finalize any of the above until they approved the visa application and/or I was actually back in Canada.

I told them that I had not renewed my employment contract in Korea. I also told them that my wife had spoken to moving companies (insert name of company) to get quotes on shipping. You might also consider letters from family where they state that you have told them you will be moving back to Canada once you have your wife's PR visa.

I gotta say, it would seem to me that CIC shouldn't really expect a lot in the way of proof on this question since most people can't really make firm plans to move back to Canada until CIC has finished processing their visa application.

Korea2Canada

Mar 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05- 2013
Doc's Request.
18-11- 2013
AOR Received.
29-05-2013
File Transfer...
30-05-2013
Med's Request
sent with app.
Med's Done....
03-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
bartjones said:
This is what I said in our application. I told them that I had been searching for accommodation on websites a, b and c. I told them that I didn't have a job but had been looking for work on websites d, e and f. I told them that I had been looking at used cars on websites g,h and i and cell phone plans on websites j,k and l. I also pointed out the glaringly obvious fact that I couldn't really finalize any of the above until they approved the visa application and/or I was actually back in Canada.

I told them that I had not renewed my employment contract in Korea. I also told them that my wife had spoken to moving companies (insert name of company) to get quotes on shipping. You might also consider letters from family where they state that you have told them you will be moving back to Canada once you have your wife's PR visa.

I gotta say, it would seem to me that CIC shouldn't really expect a lot in the way of proof on this question since most people can't really make firm plans to move back to Canada until CIC has finished processing their visa application.
Exactly!!

I have lots of e-mail exchanges saved as i mentioned in the post above. I was thinking a letter explaining the steps I have taken (job, housing, shipping - research) and including those e-mail will do. I cant really think of any other thing to send them. It states this should be couriered bad within 45 days. I plan to do it soon of course. This looks like it could be the final part before a decision is made...not sure but looks that way

thx