Med's Done....
21-06-2013
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2014
LANDED..........
14-06-2014
I've been sending #6 boxes for about 50,000/20kg box. I've sent 6 of them already, 2 have made it there (almost after 3 months because of some truckers strike at the Vancouver port) and 4 are probably somewhere in the pacific ocean on their way. Nice thing now is that you can track the boxes and see who signs for them.

The post office people in our area watch us like hawks now when we go there because we keep taking the plastic bubble wrap.

Red Tape Sucks

Star Member
Jan 17, 2014
Seoul
Category........
Visa Office......
Manilla
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 17, 2014
AOR Received.
February 19, 2014
Med's Done....
With application
VISA ISSUED...
July 29, 2014
LANDED..........
August 20, 2014
bartjones said:
What are you going to be shipping? Biggish stuff or boxes, or both?
boxes of books, clothes, a couple pieces of my sons furniture (Pororo couch, mat, Moms Board). Nothing too big, but enough to make it worth doing instead of box by box through mail.

The one place my wife talked to would come pack everything, ship it and take it to the house in Canada and even unpack it if we wanted. The minimum charge is 1.1 mil and that gets you 3 cubics (they said that one cubic is about the size of a large washing machine), with every extra cubic being only 200,000. With this you are only paying for the space used, the weight doesn't matter.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
Red Tape Sucks said:
boxes of books, clothes, a couple pieces of my sons furniture (Pororo couch, mat, Moms Board). Nothing too big, but enough to make it worth doing instead of box by box through mail.

The one place my wife talked to would come pack everything, ship it and take it to the house in Canada and even unpack it if we wanted. The minimum charge is 1.1 mil and that gets you 3 cubics (they said that one cubic is about the size of a large washing machine), with every extra cubic being only 200,000. With this you are only paying for the space used, the weight doesn't matter.
We had lived in Korea for a long time and shipped a lot of stuff back to Toronto. My wife did a bit of research online to see who was good. We used a company called Korea Shipping Co., Ltd. They came and provided us with an estimate. On moving day they packed everything up really well. The guys who did that in Korea were very professional. The goods arrived in Toronto about 8 weeks later. Aside from a couple broken dishes, everything arrived safely. They moved it all in to our place here in Canada. The guys who did the moving here were also Korean and not quite as professional as the guys in Korea, but overall I was happy with the job they did. They seemed to be very experienced in shipping things to Canada (including customs clearance procedures) and have an office in Toronto or Mississauga (can't remember)

For smaller, lighter boxes I would use Korea Post. My wife sent a couple boxes that way. I think it was about 40,000 won a box and took 4 weeks to arrive.

Marticus

Star Member
Dec 16, 2013
Daegu, South Korea
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-01-2014
Doc's Request.
09-07-2014
AOR Received.
13-02-2014
Med's Done....
31-12-2013
Interview........
N/R
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2014
LANDED..........
16-09-2014
Random Question for everyone here,

I'm on the January applicants forum page as well. Seems a lot of folks are "ordering notes." Besides seeing perhaps a little more expanded info that I see on ECAS, is there any point to me going through this process? (like I'm assuming it doesn't change the efficiency of our finalization date, right?)

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
Marticus said:
Random Question for everyone here,

I'm on the January applicants forum page as well. Seems a lot of folks are "ordering notes." Besides seeing perhaps a little more expanded info that I see on ECAS, is there any point to me going through this process? (like I'm assuming it doesn't change the efficiency of our finalization date, right?)
At this stage your notes won't say much of any interest. I'd wait until the 10 month mark. Apparently if you order the electronic file it has no effect on processing times.

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
Hello all,

I am also applying through Manila with a common-law partner. My situation is quite similar to BartJones. We applied in October 2012 and I was approved by November and by the end of December 2012 we got our CSQ (the additional hurdle required for Quebec applicants). Not much later we got an email indicating that her file was moved to Manila. Shortly after we got a document request as we didn't submit the Deleted Family Register. That was in January 2013. After submitting the required form there was total radio silence. In October 2013 (a year to the date we applied), I contacted my MP, who in turn got in touch with Manila. The answer given to us was that we were in line with all the other applications. The MP's assistant encouraged us to write back if nothing changed after we passed the 14-month average. In March of this year and still radio silence, I wrote back to the MP who again contacted Manila. This time the assistant asked us to forward a copy of our CSQ, which she sent on to Manila. Two weeks later we got an email from Manila requesting a new medical report (but curiously not a current police report). All the while, I have made 5 trips to Korea. It's great for points but the jet lag is killing me.

We are rounding the corner on 16 months (18 if you include sponsorship approval and CSQ processing time). What can we expect next (and a possible time frame)?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
costaudjoe said:
Hello all,

I am also applying through Manila with a common-law partner. My situation is quite similar to BartJones. We applied in October 2012 and I was approved by November and by the end of December 2012 we got our CSQ (the additional hurdle required for Quebec applicants). Not much later we got an email indicating that her file was moved to Manila. Shortly after we got a document request as we didn't submit the Deleted Family Register. That was in January 2013. After submitting the required form there was total radio silence. In October 2013 (a year to the date we applied), I contacted my MP, who in turn got in touch with Manila. The answer given to us was that we were in line with all the other applications. The MP's assistant encouraged us to write back if nothing changed after we passed the 14-month average. In March of this year and still radio silence, I wrote back to the MP who again contacted Manila. This time the assistant asked us to forward a copy of our CSQ, which she sent on to Manila. Two weeks later we got an email from Manila requesting a new medical report (but curiously not a current police report). All the while, I have made 5 trips to Korea. It's great for points but the jet lag is killing me.

We are rounding the corner on 16 months (18 if you include sponsorship approval and CSQ processing time). What can we expect next (and a possible time frame)?
Did you ever order your GCMS notes to see what's going on?

To be honest it sounds like someone simply lost your file at the beginning and no work was being done on it. There is no reason for a typical case to go that long. A Korean friend of ours submitted her spousal app also to Manila after you did, and already received PR several months ago.

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
I have the feeling that Quebec never sent the CSQ and so the app just sat there collecting dust. After forwarding our CSQ to the MP, the embassy almost a week later asked for the new medical report. Almost like things just shook loose finally.

In any case, how can I get the GCMS notes?

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
costaudjoe said:
In any case, how can I get the GCMS notes?
You'll need to get your wife to sign a consent form which is here.http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5744E.pdf

Then you can order the notes here https://atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca/atip/.

There is a very good video explaining how to do it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_E_dq_uLVo

Costs five bucks and the notes arrive by email in 30 days. They will tell you a great deal about where your file is at.

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
Thanks BartJones.

I am on it. 30 days seems long but hey this whole process has been painfully long.

tpx1915

Mar 3, 2014
Hi everyone!

Canadian guy sponsoring Korean wife. We both are currently living in Korea. We sent out our application last July and in August I was approved as a sponsor. A couple days ago we received an email asking for:

1.Fully Completed Appendix A (which they have attached)
2. Payment of Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF)
3. Documentary evidence of your sponsor’s intent to re-establish in Canada such as job offer, employment contract, letter of acceptance from an educational institution and other documents showing that your sponsor has started moving his affairs back to Canada and severing ties in South Korea.

They ask for this to be sent within 45 days.

OK, here are my questions and I thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
1. a. Does anyone know why they might have requested this form?
b. The form refers to applicant and spouse. Am I right in assuming my wife is the applicant and I am the spouse? The email was addressed to her (though sent to my email address).
c. There is a field called "Address where your passport(s) can be returned by courier collect:". We are moving to Canada next week. Should I put our address in Canada here?
d. They asked that we fill out appendix A, but they've sent us both appendix A and appendix B (photos). Because they haven't asked for appendix B, I don't need to resend photos, right?

2. No questions about the RPRF

3. They are asking for documentary evidence that I will re-establish in Canada, but I've already been approved as a sponsor. Does this mean that the documentation I provided last summer was not enough? I do not have job offers or acceptance letters to a school. We will be moving back and then I will begin my job hunt / house hunt. In the interim we will be living with family. Previously I've included a couple letters that stated this. What other documentation could I provide?

--

They also ask us to inform them of any changes of address. As I mentioned earlier, we are moving to Canada next week. Is it OK to put my Canadian address as our new address even though this is an application for out of the country sponsorship? If not, I can use my mother-in-law's address in Korea.

Finally, receiving this email means that our application is on the right track, right? I hope? We're in the home stretch??? :)

Thanks so much for any help that you can offer. I already owe Bart Jones a beer when we move to Toronto!

Marticus

Star Member
Dec 16, 2013
Daegu, South Korea
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-01-2014
Doc's Request.
09-07-2014
AOR Received.
13-02-2014
Med's Done....
31-12-2013
Interview........
N/R
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2014
LANDED..........
16-09-2014
I would like at this as a positive, meaning they are NOW looking at your application and just looking to dot the i's and cross the t's. Seems to happen to a lot of folks RIGHT BEFORE they get their permanent residency

b. The form refers to applicant and spouse. Am I right in assuming my wife is the applicant and I am the spouse? The email was addressed to her (though sent to my email address).
Your wife is the Principal Applicant, and you are the spouse (if they are the forms that YOU are supposed to do) I'm assuming you wrote down your email address for the main point of contact for you and your wife, so you'd get her messages, too - to your account.

c. There is a field called "Address where your passport(s) can be returned by courier collect:". We are moving to Canada next week. Should I put our address in Canada here?
Yup, doesn't matter where you are in the world - or what type of PR you've applied for (outland / inland). However, as a Canadian married to a Korean, you are passport exempt, meaning you shouldn't have to send in your passport to Manila. Unless, they've specifically asked for it?

I'm not that far along in the process, so it's probably better to get a more solid answer from one of those who are. But I'm guessing you might be reading the generic email or message, not the Korea-specific message.

d. They asked that we fill out appendix A, but they've sent us both appendix A and appendix B (photos). Because they haven't asked for appendix B, I don't need to resend photos, right?
Yeah, that pdf file has BOTH appendix A and B. (3907e?) For Appendix A, there is a ton of overlap with the Main Checklist, and tons of stuff for Sri Lanka and Pakistan applicants - Make sure to double check which ones you've already sent and you also have to print out and tick the boxes for of the Appendix A checklist, itself.

What stuff are you missing from Appendix A? the translation stuff? the appendix checklist itself? or other stuff?

3. They are asking for documentary evidence that I will re-establish in Canada, but I've already been approved as a sponsor. Does this mean that the documentation I provided last summer was not enough? I do not have job offers or acceptance letters to a school. We will be moving back and then I will begin my job hunt / house hunt. In the interim we will be living with family. Previously I've included a couple letters that stated this. What other documentation could I provide?
I provided:

1.) A letter of support from my parents, stating they'd give us accomodation and any financial support until we got ourselves established
2.) I also won't have any job offers either, but I sent in various jobs I'm looking at getting (degree pertinent stuff that I printed from the net)
3.) I also included a "Plan of Action" summary, that shows "how" and "what" we will do to get back into the swing of things back home. Basically stating we'd hit the ground running, use our parents for support. Seek jobs from Korea, if nothing pans out, continue to find employment back home, all the while using our parents as support, that we had a little saved etc
4.) I also included a list of old job contacts, and websites that I currently use to actively seek employment (hard to find a job from Daegu, where I am, but nonetheless, it shows I'm trying :)
5.) We have pets, so i included all airline cargo correspondence that we are / have been pre-planning our exit strategy from Korea.

Hope this helps a little, Marticus

gibbles

Apr 14, 2014
Hello,

We have started to work our way through the mounds of paperwork and have a couple of questions we couldn't find answers to searching the forums. The information in this thread have been a great help in organizing for the application.

First a little information.
We have been married (8 years) and we are living in Korea (almost 10 years for me) and are planning to move to Canada (Wife, daughter and I). We are hoping to go back for some time around July 2015, but we know that may be a stretch due to the application timeline. I'm a Canadian citizen (born and raised in Canada) and my wife is a Korean citizen we have one daughter together (born in Korea, 22 months old). Any help is greatly appreciated.

1. Proof of sponsor's intent of returning to Canada. Do the letters from family need to be actual letters that have been notarized, or can they be emails?

2. Our daughter (22 months old) has her Certificate of Canadian Citizenship. Will she need her Canadian passport for the application? We know that she does not need to be part of the application (IMM 0008ENU_2D – can we “remove dependant” from this form?) as she is a citizen, however as the time for the application to process as well as the time for getting a passport are both long it will push back out plans. We realize that she will need to enter Canada with a Canadian passport. We will then not need to complete the Additional Dependants (IMM 008DEP) file I assume.

3. The most recent Option C printout I can get is from 2005 when I graduated and them worked for 2 months. Will I need to request this or supply financial details from 2013 and a letter explaining that my situation? Changing my Canadian address to get access to the Option C may not be as easy as I had thought. I haven't filed taxes in Canada since 2005 and am planning to submit the nr73-fill-12e.pdf (Non-residency status) form when I return to Canada.

4. Proof of employment. In Korea, I work at a mid-sized company as a curriculum marketing/managing manager. Would my supervisor's letter be sufficient as proof of employment along with an official form from the company stating that I am a current employee, tax information for the most recent 12 months, and a form with my monthly salary listed?

5. Maintaining Contact
As we have lived in Korea after meeting and lived together since getting married, what evidence would we provide? We haven't lived apart. Would we need to submit other evidence in addition to the pictures included with proof of relationship?

Thank you for your time.

CanAsian

Star Member
Jun 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-10-2013
Doc's Request.
26-05-2014
AOR Received.
18-10-2013
File Transfer...
10-10-2013
Med's Done....
21-06-2013
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2014
LANDED..........
14-06-2014
gibbles said:
Hello,

We have started to work our way through the mounds of paperwork and have a couple of questions we couldn't find answers to searching the forums. The information in this thread have been a great help in organizing for the application.

First a little information.
We have been married (8 years) and we are living in Korea (almost 10 years for me) and are planning to move to Canada (Wife, daughter and I). We are hoping to go back for some time around July 2015, but we know that may be a stretch due to the application timeline. I'm a Canadian citizen (born and raised in Canada) and my wife is a Korean citizen we have one daughter together (born in Korea, 22 months old). Any help is greatly appreciated.

1. Proof of sponsor's intent of returning to Canada. Do the letters from family need to be actual letters that have been notarized, or can they be emails?

They don't need to be notarized. I had my brother and a family friend write letters stating they know of our intent to move back to Canada and that they were willing to help us out. I also just wrote a letter stating my plans for when we get back.

2. Our daughter (22 months old) has her Certificate of Canadian Citizenship. Will she need her Canadian passport for the application? We know that she does not need to be part of the application (IMM 0008ENU_2D – can we “remove dependant” from this form?) as she is a citizen, however as the time for the application to process as well as the time for getting a passport are both long it will push back out plans. We realize that she will need to enter Canada with a Canadian passport. We will then not need to complete the Additional Dependants (IMM 008DEP) file I assume.

Dont have kids so Im no help

3. The most recent Option C printout I can get is from 2005 when I graduated and them worked for 2 months. Will I need to request this or supply financial details from 2013 and a letter explaining that my situation? Changing my Canadian address to get access to the Option C may not be as easy as I had thought. I haven't filed taxes in Canada since 2005 and am planning to submit the nr73-fill-12e.pdf (Non-residency status) form when I return to Canada.

I didn't send an Option C. I sent a letter explaining that I haven't worked in Canada for X years so had no income to report in Canada. I explained that I had my own business and attached a copy of my business license and included the dates of my employment in Korea. Whether all the extra info was necessary, Im not sure but I got approved.

4. Proof of employment. In Korea, I work at a mid-sized company as a curriculum marketing/managing manager. Would my supervisor's letter be sufficient as proof of employment along with an official form from the company stating that I am a current employee, tax information for the most recent 12 months, and a form with my monthly salary listed?

I think that would be good enough. Dont know if you have to give ur tax info though. Maybe the supervisors letter including your monthly salary and how much you've made for the past 12 months. I included this in my EXPLANATION OF NO OPTION C PRINTOUT

5. Maintaining Contact
As we have lived in Korea after meeting and lived together since getting married, what evidence would we provide? We haven't lived apart. Would we need to submit other evidence in addition to the pictures included with proof of relationship?

I would just write that and include it. We've been married for 8 years and we haven't been apart so we have been able to see each other and talk to each other everyday. I would include pictures to show how you guys have been together for the last 8 years. I'm sure they will be able to see you guys getting old together.

Thank you for your time.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
tpx1915 said:
Manila has requested that form from every Korean applicant in this thread since the Seoul visa office closed. It seems to be standard procedure.

Correct

Yes, though it probably doesn't matter since they won't be requesting your passport anyway. You'll just get a confirmation of permanent residence letter.

You can ignore Appendix B. They sent my wife the same form so I emailed and asked them about Appendix B. They said to ignore it.

Didn't you pay it up front? If not, I'd do so as it will speed things up a bit.

I was in the same situation. I had no job offer or house. You may want to send another letter explaining, for example, that you've quit your job in Korea, haven't renewed your lease, sold your house, shipped things back to Canada, etc. I would also tell them that you have a firm departure date and send them copies of your plane tickets.

If you didn't do this in your original material, you can say things like "I've been searching for work on websites x, y and z" or "I've been looking at rental properties on websites "a,b and c". Explain that you will be finding work and accommodation only after you've arrived.

They also ask us to inform them of any changes of address. As I mentioned earlier, we are moving to Canada next week. Is it OK to put my Canadian address as our new address even though this is an application for out of the country sponsorship? If not, I can use my mother-in-law's address in Korea.
Yes, you should send them an email advising them of your new address.

Finally, receiving this email means that our application is on the right track, right? I hope? We're in the home stretch??? :)
Well you're on the right track but it's really the first email they send when they start reviewing your file. I got that email last August, Korea2Canada got it in October I think and CanNZ got it last month. None of us have our PR yet, so I think you're still in for a long wait before things are finalized.

Thanks so much for any help that you can offer. I already owe Bart Jones a beer when we move to Toronto!
Looking forward to it. ;D