Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
rjessome said:
Mitch Albom is good too. .
Oh I forgot about Mitch Albom. Such a good author. *thumbs up* ;)

fleo

Star Member
Nov 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2011
Med's Done....
23-12-2010
Oh, and if anyone is interested in reading something Canadian-but-different, I would very warmly recommend 'Green grass, running water' by Thomas King. Mr. Husband gave it to me when I first got interested in Native background in Canada, but it's a great read from any point of view.

P.O. Enquist, 'The visit of the royal physician' <3 Everything and anything by Majgull Axelsson. (I have a thing for Swedish writers and art/aesthetic in general :)).

And I did manage to remember a wonderful discovery from my "historical fiction/art mysteries phase" - Arturo Perez-Reverte and his 'The Flanders panel', after 'The name of the rose' probably my favourite of the genre. (I'm pretty sure more exciting stuff happened in the field since the 90s, but I just wasn't interested in reading about historians digging out Dracula or whatever. Well, unless the author's name is Kai Meyer, but I think only his more fantasy-oriented works got English translations and they can't really help us there, no matter how good. And now I'm rambling :D)

tita

Jun 8, 2010
Visa Office......
vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31 july 2010
Med's Done....
july 2010
i love to read the most selled book in history, the word of God, the bible, it helps me to face life, to see towards eternity and gives me peace even with the inmigration process :D

Iamrobot85

Aug 31, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2010
File Transfer...
03-02-2010
Passport Req..
21-03-2011
LANDED..........
25-04-2011
I'm reading The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver, I love her, she's very good.

But I have a BA in English Literature so I can talk your head off about books :p

justina

Star Member
Jun 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-09-2009
File Transfer...
03-2010 to local office
LANDED..........
12-08-2011
fleo said:
Another fan here, but judging from the feedback from people who borrowed my copy of Kitchen Confidential (which was a wee bit better than Underbelly, IMNSHO) one's opinion about the book will depend entirely on their opinion about Bourdain himself. I find him charming, funny and an amazing chef and I'll swallow anything he writes; a lot of my friends think he's an annoying egomaniac and a complete fake and can't go through more than 2 pages without calling me furiously to LET ME KNOW EXACTLY HOW THEY FEEL ABOUT THAT SONOFA*censored word*!!!
Having spent many years working in kitchens, I quite enjoyed Kitchen Confidential. Yes, some of it is pretty over the top, but seriously, even in high end places, I have seen a lot of what is written about. Brought back some interesting memories....

And my husband bought me Medium Raw last year for my birthday. A good read too. I don't find him annoying, rather I find him quite entertaining. And I also love watching him travel around and eat on tv. Wish someone would pay me to!!

Gordon Ramsay on the other hand, even thinking about him gives me a reaction similar to some of your friends with Bourdain!!

fleo

Star Member
Nov 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2011
Med's Done....
23-12-2010
justina said:
And I also love watching him travel around and eat on tv. Wish someone would pay me to!!
Lol, me too :D And I love how calm and collected he is in the face of some of the more interesting, uh, meals *chuckles* (Forum-appropriate, though, he did look a little baffled in Montreal, when Martin Picard served him some sort of foie gras-sprinkled mousse dessert :D).

I like Ramsay too, though... but I'm generally very loving :D The only kind of TV chefs I can't stomach are bleeding hearts (Mario Batali, goddamn Jamie Oliver, any female except for Paula Deen) and anyone who gained popularity by making "real food" that "anyone can cook" (Rachael Roy, I'm looking at you :mad:).

Now watch me getting this absurd trail of thought back on topic :D

Yes, I love food and cooking shows. I also love books that prominently feature food! "Like water for chocolate", "Fried green tomatoes", "Farmer boy", "Chasing Cezanne", "My year of meats", "Secrets of the Tsil Café" ... the list goes on :)

justina

Star Member
Jun 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-09-2009
File Transfer...
03-2010 to local office
LANDED..........
12-08-2011
Have you read Peter Mayle? Good food/France books.

I think my deal with Gordon Ramsay is I worked for someone who screamed like that, and it's not fun.

Inlandappl

Jul 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Med's Done....
LANDED..........
One of my favourite authors is Charles Bukowski.

did you read "Tales of ordinary madness"?

AlieW

Star Member
Aug 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Tel Aviv. Israel
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-01-2011
Doc's Request.
09-03-2011
AOR Received.
14-02-2011
File Transfer...
08-02-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
13-05-2011
LANDED..........
July 2011
What an amazing thread!

I'm currently living with my partner in Israel while we wait for his PR and the English books here are expensive - my parents actually send me a box of books as a gift one year.
My partner gave me a Kindle for my last birthday and I am addicted to the thing - much to his chagrin, I probably read at least 2-3 books a week!

I just finished:
The Discovery of Witches: A Novel - Deborah Harkness (it was OK-it was written for a sequal which was kind of annoying)
The Brutal Telling - Lousie Penny (I love her work and the the french Canadian setting)
The Tiger's Wife - Tea Obreht (very interesting story)
Secret Daughter - Shilpi Somaya Gowda (I enjoyed this a lot as I had been to Mumbai)
The Red Garden - Alice Hoffman (also quite good)

I've read a lot of the other books mentioned here. The Help was excellent - I really enjoyed it. As was Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray Love (which I read in India) and Commitment.

I'm always looking for new an interesting reads - fantastic thread idea.

eyeoftheocean

Sep 14, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Jan 2009
File Transfer...
June 2009
Med's Done....
Dec 2008 2nd Meds done Jan 2011 Medical Results have been received March 11
Interview........
AIP interview Aug 09 Security interview May 2010
LANDED..........
29-11-2013
I just read ' The girl who kicked the hornests nest' very political book from back in the KGB days , very deep reading by Seig Larson.

Usually I read James Patterson or Lee child books , mostly there about cops investogating murders.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I mentioned before that I've read Elizabeth Gilbert's "Eat, Pray, Love" and was now reading "Committed". Well I just finished it. It was very different from the first book but the point of interest to anyone here might be that one of it's main themes and the catalyst is about the author's own struggle with immigration to the US for her "love". It forces her to dig deep inside herself to answer many questions about marriage (mainly) and does somewhat chronicle their relationship struggles while waiting a very long time, figuring out complicated paperwork and not knowing what US immigration will decide. Sound familiar?

I also thoroughly enjoyed the Steig Larsson trilogy that started with "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo". The second book in the series is probably my favourite but all three are good. I love a good spy caper so Robert Ludlum's novels are great. He wrote the "Jason Bourne" stuff made famous in the movies. The books are always better though. He died a few years back and now some ghost writer is trying to continue on in his theme but it's not nearly as good. I also love Tom Clancy and his Jack Ryan series but you have to start with "The Hunt for Red October" and continue from there. It doesn't matter that they are old and start back before the fall of the iron curtain. Still great.

And although I just said that books are always better than movies, one of my favourite films of all time is The Godfather. Fantastic movie where I didn't think I needed to read the book. But I'm so glad I did! Mario Puzo's novel with the same title has everything the movie does so well and even more!

I just went to Chapters on Friday and was absolutely thrilled to see that a book I've been waiting for for almost 20 years is out! Jean Auel has finally written the last book of the Earth Children series entitled "The Land of Painted Caves". It is the sixth and final book of an epic series that began with "The Clan of the Cave Bear". I cannot say enough about this series! The first book is enthralling and will hook you into the life and journey of Ayla, the main character so that you MUST read all of the others which are equally brilliant. Everyone I know (both men and women) who have read this series or even just the first book (which you MUST read to understand everything) has loved it. Seriously, go to a second hand book store and pick up The Clan of the Cave Bear and soon you will find yourself lost in pre-historic, cro-magnun man's world. You won't be disappointed.

Big sigh. I just love talking about books!!! Much more fun than immigration, eh?

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
I have just been pleasantly surprised by Andre Agassi's 'Open'. I'm not a big fan of biographies/autobiographies but it was really good. I have just started 'Love in the time of cholera' but haven't had a chance to really get into it yet.
Has anyone read 'Snow falling on cedars'? I tried reading it a while ago and didn't enjoy it - it's the only book I have started & not finished, but I don't want to try it again if it's no good!!

nagz2207

Champion Member
Dec 14, 2010
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Beirut
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2010-10-12
Doc's Request.
2011-01-22
AOR Received.
2010-11-09
File Transfer...
2011-11-22
Med's Request
2011-09-30
Med's Done....
2010-08
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
2011-10-13
VISA ISSUED...
2011-10-18
eyeoftheocean said:
I just read ' The girl who kicked the hornests nest' very political book from back in the KGB days , very deep reading by Seig Larson.

Usually I read James Patterson or Lee child books , mostly there about cops investogating murders.
I really enjoyed ''the girl who kicked the hornests nest'' as well as the 2 others from the triology. The book I'm reading now is The three musketeers by Alexandre Dumas, great novel.

eyeoftheocean

Sep 14, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Jan 2009
File Transfer...
June 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
LANDED..........
29-11-2013
I too love a good read, its all I seem to do latley lol and gardening now spring is finally here !

Havnt read ' The girl with the dragon tatoo' , thats next when Ive done reading Lee Childs ; Nothing to lose' then have 'The Secretariat ' to read , Havnt seen the film yet but like you say I like to read the book first.

I was like a kid in a candy store when I went to the library here lol even my hubby said to me ' am I like this when I go into a game store'? I said your worse LOL.

Also I like biographys there something different to read .

I will look out for 'The hunt for red October ' Im sue Ive seen the film though. And 'The clan of the cave bear' sounds gripping :)

eyeoftheocean

Sep 14, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Jan 2009
File Transfer...
June 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
LANDED..........
29-11-2013
Iamrobot85 said:
I'm reading The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver, I love her, she's very good.

But I have a BA in English Literature so I can talk your head off about books :p
My Mum also has a BA in English Lit :) I think I fell off the cukcoo tree by not following her examples in life :(