Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-Mar-2011
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2011
LANDED..........
16-05-2012
Hey guys,

I know that this process can be grueling and long and I find that reading takes my mind off of things.

What is your favorite book? Is there a book that you are reading right now that is excellent?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Books make me happy. What genres do you like? Fiction, non-fiction, mystery, suspense, drama, romance, history, horror, sci-fi, etc. Maybe I could suggest a few. Right now I'm reading "Committed" which is the sequel to "Eat, Pray, Love". It's pretty cool although very different from the first book. Here are some of my fiction faves from the past year or so:

Still Alice
The Help
Snowflower and the Secret Fan
Under the Dome
The Birth House
A Million Little Pieces (I know it was outted on Oprah but the book is still fantastic!)
The Hunger Games (+ the next two in the series)

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
Well I already posted in the other thread...oops but I shall post it again.
I haven't finished reading it or picked it up in like a year but I want to get back into it.
One of my favorite songs was inspired by this book.

"Invisible Monsters" by Chuck Palahniuk

P.S. I thought I would add that my husband likes the series by Terry Goodkind if you are into fantasy type books.

valy79

Star Member
Aug 10, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-11-2010
AOR Received.
27-01-2011
File Transfer...
10-12-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
13-04-2011
LANDED..........
14-07-2011
Awesome idea :D I love reading!

Right now I am reading a biography about Mother Teresa, and before that I read "The Reluctant Mullah" by Sagheer Afzal.

There is a bunch of books I really like, one example is "The Hours" by Michael Cunningham (there is also a movie). Love that one.
How about you?

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
The last book I read was The Moor's last sigh, by Salman Rushdie - Brilliant!
Now I am reading Anthony Bourdain Kitchen Confidential Adventures in the Culinary underbelly

I also love Harry Potter!!! And the hobbit and The LOTR!! Haha - Geek!!

Ines

Star Member
Jan 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
In process Nov 8 2010
File Transfer...
18-10-2010
Med's Done....
Sep 2010
Interview........
11/05/2011
VISA ISSUED...
11/05/2011
LANDED..........
25/05/2011
Right now I am reading "Heart and Soul" og Maeve Binchy and "This Forum". lol
Since We started the process of sponsorship I haven't really had time to read books. I played Sudoku alot though. It helps me fight the stress.

valy79

Star Member
Aug 10, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-11-2010
AOR Received.
27-01-2011
File Transfer...
10-12-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
13-04-2011
LANDED..........
14-07-2011
pinklady said:
Now I am reading Anthony Bourdain Kitchen Confidential Adventures in the Culinary underbelly
How do you like it? I almost bought it last weekend but then put it back....

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
valy79 said:
I really like it, it is very readable and entertaining too. Also contains a few good cooking tips! A friend of mine leant it to me. She is a big fan of his, however I had never even heard of him before she leant me the book.

Heckler

Mar 14, 2011
Bristol, Uk
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-10
Passport Req..
11-01-11
VISA ISSUED...
26-01-11
LANDED..........
02-04-11
My main books Iwas reading through the application wait were all Canada related. I felt that if I was gonna live there I should swot up on the place a bit, make a bit of an effort! :p
So I read:
The Penguin History of Canada. unsuprisingly very east coast biased, it mentioned BC twice I think in the whole book!
The West Beyond the West - A history of British Columbia. That IS a good book by the way, for anyone moving to BC & interested in History I;d say it was a must read :D
Klee Wyck by Emily Carr. Afterall I am moving to Victoria, thought I'd see what the fuss was about, & I really enjoyed it

angtao

Apr 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-Mar-2011
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2011
LANDED..........
16-05-2012
I love "The Book Of Negroes" by Lawrence Hill. Excellent book.

I also just finished reading "House Rules" by Jodi Picoult. Excellent book.

The Kite Runner is fantastic too. Khaled Hosseini

I like Fiction, mystery, suspense, drama, and romance.

fleo

Star Member
Nov 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-01-2011
Med's Done....
23-12-2010
valy79 said:
Another fan here, but judging from the feedback from people who borrowed my copy of Kitchen Confidential (which was a wee bit better than Underbelly, IMNSHO) one's opinion about the book will depend entirely on their opinion about Bourdain himself. I find him charming, funny and an amazing chef and I'll swallow anything he writes; a lot of my friends think he's an annoying egomaniac and a complete fake and can't go through more than 2 pages without calling me furiously to LET ME KNOW EXACTLY HOW THEY FEEL ABOUT THAT SONOFABITCH!!!

And stuff :D

angtao, I'm bad with titles, but try looking up some titles by John Dunning or Laurie R. King :) I also used to read a lot of historical mystery, maybe I'll manage to remember something. (These days I'm useless and read only SF :).)

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
angtao said:
I love "The Book Of Negroes" by Lawrence Hill. Excellent book.

I also just finished reading "House Rules" by Jodi Picoult. Excellent book.

The Kite Runner is fantastic too. Khaled Hosseini
I read all of those too. :)
Jodi Picoult is great. I've read just about all of her stuff.
A Thousand Splendid Sons by Khaled Hosseini was good too.

Another fave - The Road - Cormac McCarthy
ANYTHING by John Irving - A Prayer for Owen Meany may be my favourite book of all time.
Mitch Albom is good too. Tuesdays With Morrie is my favourite.
A Fine Balanace by Rohinton Mistry is also excellent.

Sigh. I love books. Wishing I was at home reading one right now.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
I just got through Martha Grimes's Richard Jury mystery series. Each mystery is named for a pub in England. I loved them, the titles were offbeat, the characters were very well drawn and the mysteries nicely laid out and suspenseful. She made one terrible error, that reminded me she's not British. She had one of the characters, a quintessential English gentleman, call football "soccer". :p All in all, I wouldn't put her in the same class as Dame Agatha Christie, as many of the reviewers do, but she finishes a decent second, in my book.

I am soon to start Dean Koontz's Relentless. Koontz is my favourite suspense writer, I've read everything he's ever written in the last twenty years.

rjessome: I read Eat, Pray, Love and surprised myself by liking it. Would love to hear more about Committed when you get through. :)

I love books. I can't remember when I couldn't read, as my mother said I've been reading since I was 3 or 4. I remember the first adult novel I read was by Louis L'Amour, Reilly's Luck, I was 7 when I read it. If I believed in past lives, I would have been a librarian or a bookseller.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
One of my FAVORITE subjects so thanks for the starting the thread. I am also bad with titles so I started writing them down (just season and year, title and author plus a little check if I would recommend it) ...that was back in 1999. My mother keeps track of her day time book club reads and their list goes back 25 years. Can you believe that!

Recent favs already mentioned include The Book of Negroes (settings include Africa, US, Canada,and England 3 are places I've lived), The Help, Snowflower and the Secret Fan, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress.

The Steig Larson series can help pass the time as each of the 3 I've read so far are over 800 pages! Stressful, violent but also a page turner if you can get past the first 80 or so pages of the first book.

I'm currently reading Sarum (a 10,000 year history of England) by Edward Rutherford; excellent but it is very long and dense. I love English and French history, esp 15-17th century, and I just started the Happiness Project yesterday.

On a separate note, I have been reading a lot of statistics and research papers regarding employment, unemployment and underemployment of Canada's immigrants. Depressing stuff!

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
Rjessome loved Hunger Games! Great thread need a couple good vacation reads.

I'll second Book of Negroes, amazing and touching book. Just finished Alone in Berlin and currently reading A Short History of Nearly Everything.