+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

is longer residency requirement really possible?

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
txboyscout said:
There are no examples that I know of. Just because it does not happen, does not mean that IT CANNOT HAPPEN.

You could meet the requirements every which way and the govt would be within their right to refuse to grant your citizenshio
Out of curiosity, why? What's the point of having requirements, then?

As to the other posts around yours, I don't like the implication that I seem to be advocating fraud -- the example of the guy who lived in Dubai and drew benefits is obviously cheating, nowhere have I said I support that. Maybe you're not referring to me, in which case no big deal.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Once you have met the requirements for a grant of citizenship you are ENTITLED BY LAW to become a citizen. Of course, CIC will look long and hard at you to make sure you actually did meet the requirements before granting you citizenship.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
links18 said:
Once you have met the requirements for a grant of citizenship you are ENTITLED BY LAW to become a citizen. Of course, CIC will look long and hard at you to make sure you actually did meet the requirements before granting you citizenship.
Yes, I completely agree with this. I've never argued that there shouldn't be requirements, in fact I would completely understand if CIC made qualifying slightly more extensive (longer time and maybe a real test). I wouldn't be surprised if they do this before I apply, and I won't gripe too much when they do.

At the same time, I think that PRs who live here for a long time without becoming citizens need some sort of protection from deportation for illegal activities, particularly kids who grew up here with parents who weren't able to apply for citizenship on their behalf. This, for me, is the real disadvantage of being a PR, the possibility of having it revoked -- not for violent crime or blatantly illegal activity, but for actions that are more attributable to youthful carelessness, like driving without insurance; or for things that Canadians of all types do routinely without consequences, like smoking pot. I'm not saying that people routinely lose PR for this, but it is probably possible.

dodan

Mar 7, 2010
usa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hmmm... having been in these threads for few days I am seeing lot of outcry. some are worried whether longer residency will be imposed (following the news from the minister). some are criticizing naturalized citizens leaving this country too soon etc.

therefore got few questions... no doubt.. blunt questions/remarks...

1. longer residency... well how long will justify the grant of citizenship? think... how long (and thus how much contributed) versus benefits enjoyed forever.
2. what should be done to make it more contributing to the country? maybe citizens pay taxes irrespective of wherever they live. just what few other countries including US do?
3. maybe certain benefits can be availed only while residing in the country (pension etc., not sure how that works either)?
4. if naturalized citizens are not staying in the country... why at the first place are they leaving?
5. what can be done better to make it an appealing place for the naturalized citizens to live here permanently?
6. why residency is a major requirement... (someone commented somewhere how many nights sleeping in the country etc.) could it have been volunteer/contribution alongside instead?

on a side note, the policies seem to have been created to attract PRs... with benefits etc. (the passport of convenience is certainly one of them) but did not do any home-work to retain the citizens in the land. thus few people are fleeing and policy-makers struggling with it now.

I know dumb questions... but looks like people are arguing all over on one side or the other

Thanks for your time.

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dodan said:
hmmm... having been in these threads for few days I am seeing lot of outcry. some are worried whether longer residency will be imposed (following the news from the minister). some are criticizing naturalized citizens leaving this country too soon etc.

therefore got few questions... no doubt.. blunt questions/remarks...

1. longer residency... well how long will justify the grant of citizenship? think... how long (and thus how much contributed) versus benefits enjoyed forever.
2. what should be done to make it more contributing to the country? maybe citizens pay taxes irrespective of wherever they live. just what few other countries including US do?
3. maybe certain benefits can availed only while residing in the country (pension etc., not sure how that works either)?
4. if naturalized citizens are not staying in the country... why at the first place are they leaving?
5. what can be done better to make it an appealing place for the naturalized citizens to live here permanently?
6. why residency is a major requirement... (someone commented somewhere how many nights sleeping in the country etc.) could it have been volunteer/contribution alongside instead?

on a side note, the policies seem to have been created to attract PRs... with benefits etc. (the passport of convenience is certainly one of them) but did not do any home-work to retain the citizens in the land. thus few people are fleeing and policy-makers struggling with it now.

I know dumb questions... but looks like people are arguing all over on one side or the other

Thanks for your time.
I think these questions (not dumb questions) are more for the Government and not for few applicants who are worried about their application! lol

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
on-hold said:
. This, for me, is the real disadvantage of being a PR, the possibility of having it revoked -- not for violent crime or blatantly illegal activity, but for actions that are more attributable to youthful carelessness, like driving without insurance; or for things that Canadians of all types do routinely without consequences, like smoking pot.
Well, natural born Canadians who get caught smoking pot do face some consequences--they might not be allowed to enter the US or even board a plane flying through US airspace. No escaping the winter cold for ganga smokers. :-\

dodan

Mar 7, 2010
usa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LoL... so for few applicants like us... it is completely fine accepting benefits while contributing to the economy and travel or reside outside the country should the naturalized citizen desire so. or stay here in this beautiful country of yours... then not sure... why people are arguing when someone leaves the country after acquiring citizenship. maybe I have to read more... perhaps between the lines :)

Thank you for reading and replying.

sept15 said:
I think these questions (not dumb questions) are more for the Government and not for few applicants who are worried about their application! lol

vic48912

Star Member
Nov 30, 2007
ramsfe said:
I don't know where you got the information about NDP supporting longer residency periods....
From what I have read it seem the longer residency period will pass as most mps are in support of it. However the database on family tree which can be access by foreign spy agency plus the "birth tourists" is giving liberals and ndp concern.

vic48912

Star Member
Nov 30, 2007
PMM said:
Hi

Previously it was 5 years for Canadian citizenship.
The qualification time is not an issue to most people, it could be 10 year for all I care however the uncertainty regarding applicants citizenship processing time is no brainer

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
vic48912 said:
The qualification time is not an issue to most people, it could be 10 year for all I care however the uncertainty regarding applicants citizenship processing time is no brainer
Yes, this is the issue. Currently, you are supposed to qualify for citizenship if you have been in Canada 3 out of the previous 4 years. But because it takes up to 3 years to process your application (or sometimes longer) and you must maintain PR status in the interim, its is actually more like 5 or 6 years. Because you have no idea how long it will take to actually process your applications, it is very difficult to make plans and/or adjust to life circumstances while your application collects dust. Moreover, you can't vote and lose access to certain job opportunities. There is a also a tremendous discrepancy between applicants from different parts of the country. You might get citizenship if you are in Windsor in less than a year. If you are in Winnipeg-----Good Luck! Its scandalous.

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
links18 said:
Yes, this is the issue. Currently, you are supposed to qualify for citizenship if you have been in Canada 3 out of the previous 4 years. But because it takes up to 3 years to process your application (or sometimes longer) and you must maintain PR status in the interim, its is actually more like 5 or 6 years. Because you have no idea how long it will take to actually process your applications, it is very difficult to make plans and/or adjust to life circumstances while your application collects dust. Moreover, you can't vote and lose access to certain job opportunities. There is a also a tremendous discrepancy between applicants from different parts of the country. You might get citizenship if you are in Windsor in less than a year. If you are in Winnipeg-----Good Luck! Its scandalous.
This is pretty normal and par the course---The more densly populated aeras have more immigrants applying for citizenship and thus it takes longer to process all those application

wadelmaki

Star Member
Sep 17, 2013
txboyscout said:
This is pretty normal and par the course---The more densly populated aeras have more immigrants applying for citizenship and thus it takes longer to process all those application
txboyscout,

I don’t necessarily agree with you as technically government should allocate resources more where there is shortage (ie. more CJs, local staff etc.). Also, another example Montreal applicants now receive citizenship within a window of 8 months or so.
Another example in processing citizenship in other countries is USA, there is always a national goal for the processing and that normally get compared to local offices and the deviation normally not that much expect for few cases in local offices where the process takes longer, because of the wait time for before taking the oath as you need certain number of people to schedule a ceremony.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
txboyscout said:
There is no earthly justification for a discrepancy of 7 months in one place and 30 months somewhere else in the same country. None whatsoever.