+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

is longer residency requirement really possible?

yyzhuang

Mar 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I feel disappointed by this http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/backgrounders/2014/2014-02-06e.asp

Current Act
Residence for three out of four years (1,095 days);
No requirement that resident be physically present;
Time as a non-permanent resident (non-PR) may be counted toward residence for citizenship;
No intent to reside provision

Proposed Act
Requires physical presence for four years (1,460 days) out of the six years;
183 days minimum of physical presence per year in four out of six years;
Eliminate use of time spent in Canada as a non-permanent resident (non-PR);
Introduce “intent to reside” provision

BTW what is "intent to reside"? Thank you.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
You have to declare, before they will grant you citizenship, that you intend to reside in Canada AFTER you have become a citizen.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Children from 14 to 17 will also have to pass the citizenship test as well as those who are between 54 and 64.

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I see that this has been presented to the house as second reading on Feb 6th? Does anyone know when will it be up for voting and if they vote when will it become a law?

Thanks

Chikloo

ramsfe

Nov 15, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chikloo said:
Hi,

I see that this has been presented to the house as second reading on Feb 6th? Does anyone know when will it be up for voting and if they vote when will it become a law?

Thanks

Chikloo
Umm...no it is still First reading for now : http://www.parl.gc.ca/LEGISInfo/BillDetails.aspx?Mode=1&billId=6401990&Language=E

trunorth

Star Member
Jan 21, 2014
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chikloo said:
Hi,

Thanks

Chikloo
No it was not second reading! It was presented to the house as first reading on Feb 6th. Loooooooooooooooong way more to go! Trust me, a bill this big will not be enforced anytime till the year end. Much to debate about and those politicians will want to be heard and put their 2 cents worth in.

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
trunorth said:
Trust me, a bill this big will not be enforced anytime till the year end. Much to debate about and those politicians will want to be heard and put their 2 cents worth in.
I DO!! Or at least I want TO!!!

trunorth

Star Member
Jan 21, 2014
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well I am pissed about this new bill especially since I qualify in July this year. I can be hopeful it won't pass till then but if it happens it will be beyond my control. Rather than us here complaining about it, who don't we write to our MPs and put to them what we think.

I just feel adding one more year does not make me more Canadian than I am now. I am even more Canadian than some of the BORN Canadians I know. They don't even know their history!!

It's a big bill, guys. The portion about extending it a year will whizz pass but I am certain it will stall with debates on the other components. Alexander is just trying to show his strength...it's election year next year! Will all the issues going on in the Senate and the stuff they are dealing with now, I doubt it will happen even this year.

Let's be hopeful and if we can start suggesting how we can influence our MPs that will be more productive then trying to super analyze what will happen.

turboracer

Jul 20, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
True , very true i hope it takes long time...

anyone has their opinion about it ? when will it be passed ...

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
turboracer said:
True , very true i hope it takes long time...

anyone has their opinion about it ? when will it be passed ...
No one can give you the answer since no one has a crystal ball :)

The process of how a bill becomes law has been outlined here many time both by myself and other posters. It is anyone's guess on how long the process might take

yyzhuang

Mar 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
trunorth said:
Rather than us here complaining about it, who don't we write to our MPs and put to them what we think.

Let's be hopeful and if we can start suggesting how we can influence our MPs that will be more productive then trying to super analyze what will happen.
I think it's probably a better idea to work on this. My heart sinks and hurts when I see this http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2014/2014-02-07.asp

Chantal Desloges, Immigration Lawyer:

@Twimmigration – LOVING IT – New Citizenship bill stiffens the penalties for fraud and counselling fraud.

Nick Noorani, Managing Partner – Prepare for Canada:

“I congratulate the government on its changes Citizenship Act that combat residency fraud and ensure new Canadians have a stronger connection to Canada. With the changes announced today, processing times will be improved and new Canadians will be ready to fully participate in Canadian life.”