+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

is longer residency requirement really possible?

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Thanks Dejavuu. I signed off on responding to the rude and arrogant tones of Corazon3 a while back. Very tacky and a tone that does not command someone's respect.

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
Dejaavu said:
Corazon3,

If Canada is a joke nation, why did you get Canadian citizenship?

I am sure Canada has more reputation whichever country you came from :)
I got it for the same reason most PRs do, if you know what I mean.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
zardoz said:
Just to give a further example, albeit UK based, of how citizenship, in general, is a privilege, take a look at the UK legislation. This applies even to those that were born British!!! It has recently been used as well... There is nothing to stop Canada adopting the same...
Sorry, but "In the future they might do something to make citizenship more arbitrary or hard to hold on to" is not an argument. The same applies to every right, any could be taken away by amending the Charter or changing some laws. The fact is, becoming a citizen has certain legal requirements, just like applying for EI -- if you qualify, you'll get it. How is that a privilege?

Furthermore, how likely is this? Quite frankly, Canadians have made living outside of Canada a way of life. Old Canadian retire to the States, young Canadians go down there to study, Canadians of all ages set up throughout the world. Can you imagine the outcry at home if some government proposed making these people un-Canadian?

The reason that I object to this argument is that it is a stick that is never applied to birth Canadians. "Honour blah blah, listen to CIC . . ." When was the last time a Canadian listened when their government told them what to think? Try telling a native Canadian to pay attention to the Queen, you have an excellent chance of getting a stupendous yawn back in your face. Canadians love talking about how they're ashamed of Canada (some on this forum do). An immigrant who becomes a citizen fulfills the requirements, comes here with probably 40,000 dollars, works for several years, and if they go home, then they never draw a pension or use medical benefits in their older, sicker age. A Canadian who is born here spends 18 years eating up free education and health care, pays not a cent in taxes, and takes their Canadian RESP and blows it at a private school down in the States where they get hitched and settle.

Both groups, birth Canadians and immigrant Canadians, have fulfilled a legal obligation to become Canadians. Only the latter get told to stand up straight and look the part. As for myself, I love Canada, it's a great country, much better than my own

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
on-hold said:
Sorry, but "In the future they might do something to make citizenship more arbitrary or hard to hold on to" is not an argument. The same applies to every right, any could be taken away by amending the Charter or changing some laws. The fact is, becoming a citizen has certain legal requirements, just like applying for EI -- if you qualify, you'll get it. How is that a privilege?

Furthermore, how likely is this? Quite frankly, Canadians have made living outside of Canada a way of life. Old Canadian retire to the States, young Canadians go down there to study, Canadians of all ages set up throughout the world. Can you imagine the outcry at home if some government proposed making these people un-Canadian?

The reason that I object to this argument is that it is a stick that is never applied to birth Canadians. "Honour blah blah, listen to CIC . . ." When was the last time a Canadian listened when their government told them what to think? Try telling a native Canadian to pay attention to the Queen, you have an excellent chance of getting a stupendous yawn back in your face. Canadians love talking about how they're ashamed of Canada (some on this forum do). An immigrant who becomes a citizen fulfills the requirements, comes here with probably 40,000 dollars, works for several years, and if they go home, then they never draw a pension or use medical benefits in their older, sicker age. A Canadian who is born here spends 18 years eating up free education and health care, pays not a cent in taxes, and takes their Canadian RESP and blows it at a private school down in the States where they get hitched and settle.

Both groups, birth Canadians and immigrant Canadians, have fulfilled a legal obligation to become Canadians. Only the latter get told to stand up straight and look the part. As for myself, I love Canada, it's a great country, much better than my own
The same cliched argument you repeat here forever.

You don't seem to understand Canada at all.

Canada has an identity crisis.

Native Canadians who live abroad are different from naturalized citizens living in their home countries. Their families, relatives and friends still live in Canada, but most naturalized citizens living abroad almost have no ties to Canada except their Canadian passport.

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dejaavu said:
I am sure Canada has more reputation whichever country you came from :)
Actually, in 2013 Canada was selected as the country with the best reputation in the world by "reputation institute", and that article was published by Forbes.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2013/06/27/the-worlds-most-reputable-countries-2013/

But it's a bunch of crap from corporate think tanks and this "reputation institute" is run by the same kind of people and interests as CIC.

Neoliberal PC hellholes where nothing gets done are in the top 10, and there are no fleshed out, versatile countries there like the US or Germany.

That's what they want you to believe is cool.

I must say that Canada's best external "reputation" in the world is is totally unwarranted and a result of a marketing campaign, not reality.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
corazon3 said:
The same cliched argument you repeat here forever.

You don't seem to understand Canada at all.

Canada has an identity crisis.

Native Canadians who live abroad are different from naturalized citizens living in their home countries. Their families and relatives still live in Canada, but most naturalized citizens living abroad almost have no ties to Canada except their Canadian passport.
I guess I fail to understand why having relatives in Canada makes it OK for you to go live wherever you want for your entire life, but not having relatives makes you a Canadian of Convenience fraud.

And I understand Canada far better than you -- I came here first when I was 19, and lived with Canadians for four years. Canada was founded on a variety of deep-seated identity crises, not only are they nothing new but they represent the purest possible distillation of 'Canada'. Nothing is more unlikely than Canada coming up with some patriotic 'Canada for Canadians' formula.

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
on-hold said:
I guess I fail to understand why having relatives in Canada makes it OK for you to go live wherever you want for your entire life, but not having relatives makes you a Canadian of Convenience fraud.

And I understand Canada far better than you -- I came here first when I was 19, and lived with Canadians for four years. Canada was founded on a variety of deep-seated identity crises, not only are they nothing new but they represent the purest possible distillation of 'Canada'. Nothing is more unlikely than Canada coming up with some patriotic 'Canada for Canadians' formula.
It's not about whether it's OK or not OK.

Deep in the Canadian psyche are this inferiority complex and this garrison mentality.

In defining Canadianness, your citizenship doesn't really play a big role here, but do generations of your familial history and your experience, where you grew up, etc.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
EasyRider said:
Actually, in 2013 Canada was selected as the country with the best reputation in the world by "reputation institute", and that article was published by Forbes.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2013/06/27/the-worlds-most-reputable-countries-2013/

But it's a bunch of crap from corporate think tanks and this "reputation institute" is run by the same kind of people and interests as CIC.

Neoliberal PC hellholes where nothing gets done are in the top 10, and there are no fleshed out, versatile countries there like the US or Germany.

That's what they want you to believe is cool.

I must say that Canada's best external "reputation" in the world is is totally unwarranted and a result of a marketing campaign, not reality.
I just want to say that I agree with this completely. Not only are those surveys stupid, and countries that care about them stupider, but they basically choose the same 10, mostly-identical, countries. I like those places, that's fine -- but there's a lot to be said for a country like Thailand or the Philippines, that's wide-open in a way that Northern Europe isn't; or Singapore, or the Emirates, or Brazil, Uruguay, etc. The ONE way that I really prefer the U.S. to Canada is that Americans not only do not care what other people think about them, they literally cannot understand why they should. Which is right. Nothing is sadder than some pathetic article in a Canadian newspaper pointing out that they came in somewhere in the upper 3rd on some stupid index where the intervals are all so tiny that they probably owe as much to chance than anything else.

These only get published if the US is lower.

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
on-hold said:
I just want to say that I agree with this completely. Not only are those surveys stupid, and countries that care about them stupider, but they basically choose the same 10, mostly-identical, countries. I like those places, that's fine -- but there's a lot to be said for a country like Thailand or the Philippines, that's wide-open in a way that Northern Europe isn't; or Singapore, or the Emirates, or Brazil, Uruguay, etc. The ONE way that I really prefer the U.S. to Canada is that Americans not only do not care what other people think about them, they literally cannot understand why they should. Which is right. Nothing is sadder than some pathetic article in a Canadian newspaper pointing out that they came in somewhere in the upper 3rd on some stupid index where the intervals are all so tiny that they probably owe as much to chance than anything else.

These only get published if the US is lower.
Philippines? You gotta be kidding me.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
corazon3 said:
Philippines? You gotta be kidding me.
A little, but it depends what you want in life. I bet more Europeans and Americans retire to the Philippines than Canada . . . and yet Canada's number one in so many ways!

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
on-hold said:
A little, but it depends what you want in life. I bet more Europeans and Americans retire to the Philippines than Canada . . . and yet Canada's number one in so many ways!
Retirees generally look for a place to die peacefully, in warm weather. They tend to have a limited income and so don't go out much and stay at home a lot, so the Philippines might be better than Canada, but it's no place to have a family and raise your kids and enjoy your life etc.

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
A lot of people on this thread seem to be like a guy I knew in Dubai

Canadian citizen through naturalization living and working in Dubai, claiming unemployment benefits for self and spouse in Canada along with Child Tax benefits for his 4 children and no giving anything back to Canada---I am proud that I along with several others, helped put a stop to his gravy train :)

Some people think that Canada owes them citizenship and all the financial benefits that they can get from it without having to contribute anything towards Canada-- these people need to have their citizenship's revoked and jailed for fraud

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
on-hold said:
That's not true -- if they did not owe you citizenship, the process would be arbitrary, which would be unacceptable. If you meet the qualifications, citizenship is your right. Of course the qualifications are arbitrary, everything about the law is; and of course they can be changed, equally arbitrarily. But that doesn't change the fact that if you meet them and apply, citizenship is your right.

I might be wrong -- can you give me an example of someone who met the qualifications and was not granted citizenship when they applied?
There are no examples that I know of. Just because it does not happen, does not mean that IT CANNOT HAPPEN.

You could meet the requirements every which way and the govt would be within their right to refuse to grant your citizenshio

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
txboyscout said:
A lot of people on this thread seem to be like a guy I knew in Dubai

Canadian citizen through naturalization living and working in Dubai, claiming unemployment benefits for self and spouse in Canada along with Child Tax benefits for his 4 children and no giving anything back to Canada---I am proud that I along with several others, helped put a stop to his gravy train :)

Some people think that Canada owes them citizenship and all the financial benefits that they can get from it without having to contribute anything towards Canada-- these people need to have their citizenship's revoked and jailed for fraud
I think this is one of the best posts I have read on this forum for some time! Kudos to you for exposing and stopping the fraud in this case!