+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

is longer residency requirement really possible?

Highlander2014

Dec 11, 2013
It is stated clearly throughout the process and even at the last moment at the ceremony that Citizenship is a privilege, not a right. And if that is your attitude then Canada does not want you.

FL1040

Dec 30, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
on-hold said:
I believe citizenship is a right, if one meets the requirements that Canada sets for it. What else would it be? A gift from CIC that they grant when they feel like it? College admissions where they decide who has the best extracurricular activities?
If it were a right then it would be given automatically as soon as one has the residency requirement...but it is not, people have to request it, fill forms, take a test, go through a background screening and take the oath. Regardless of the fact that CIC is currently doing a crappy job with the processing of the citizenship request Canadian citizenship is a privilege not a right.

Your sense of entitlement is simply absurd.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
OK, if it is a privilege, then can you give me an example of someone who met the requirements, passed the test, applied, went through the process, and did not receive citizenship? I asked that question earlier, and am being met with bluster, but no examples.

Or another question -- if citizenship is a 'privilege', who decides who receives that 'privilege'? If the CIC officer or the citizenship judge have the right to refuse an applicant who meets all the criteria, then citizenship is indeed a privilege. Do they have that right? Can you give me an example of that right being exercised?

See, here is the thing about what we call 'law'. It applies to all people, equally. It defines what we call 'rights'. Law defines who can become a Canadian citizen, and how they do so. It's not being 'entitled' to insist that the law apply equally to all people.

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
So many of you are obsessed with getting citizenship. Why is that? If you have to wait one or two more yrs to get citizenship, what's the big deal really?

Because it's a big deal for many PRs! If you guys are doing well in Canada, I mean financially, and have a rosy future ahead of you in Canada, why would you come here and constantly whine about not getting citizenship faster? Many of you live below the poverty line and are unemployed or underemployed, or simply live on your savings. CIC is well aware of this. If it increases the residency requirement, many of you will be forced to give up and go back to your home country without Canadian passport after squandering all your savings here while looking for a job in your field for yrs.

They are not just planning a longer residency requirement but also want to look at your tax records, which will have deadly consequences for many of you. That is, if your annual income is below a certain level, you won't get citizenship. Or CIC can make it even tougher by not granting citizenship to FSW PRs who aren't employed in a field where he or she is supposed to work, but just doing survival jobs--(they are called "survival jobs" because you have to survive until you get your citizenship and get the hell out of here). There are many ways conservatives drastically reduce the number of new citizens, especially "visible minority" citizens.

Trust me. They will do everything to cut down the number of new citizens in coming months. Conservatives have been planning this for a long long time. Now is the right time to pull the plug when they are a majority government. Time is running out.

They let in record number of PRs in recent years and they milked as much money as possible out of you, and now it's time to kick you out of Canada. Sorry guys, this is the harsh reality. The Canadian government is one giant corporation whose main industry is immigration industry. It's all business, that is, it's all about money. Wake up, guys.

This is the survival of the fittest. Well, I am sorry to say I don't see many survivors here.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
on-hold said:
OK, if it is a privilege, then can you give me an example of someone who met the requirements, passed the test, applied, went through the process, and did not receive citizenship? I asked that question earlier, and am being met with bluster, but no examples.

Or another question -- if citizenship is a 'privilege', who decides who receives that 'privilege'? If the CIC officer or the citizenship judge have the right to refuse an applicant who meets all the criteria, then citizenship is indeed a privilege. Do they have that right? Can you give me an example of that right being exercised?

See, here is the thing about what we call 'law'. It applies to all people, equally. It defines what we call 'rights'. Law defines who can become a Canadian citizen, and how they do so. It's not being 'entitled' to insist that the law apply equally to all people.
The simple fact that citizenship CAN be revoked makes it a privilege, as you cannot revoke a right. This of course only applies to those "granted" citizenship and not born to it. Those who have it as a birthright cannot have it revoked.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Sorry to reply right away, Zardoz! I'm supposed to be writing a research paper but it's one of those days . . . I don't know if this is correct, since it comes from Wikipedia, but:

Under current law there is no provision for involuntary loss of Canadian citizenship except:

naturalized Canadians can have their citizenship revoked if convicted of fraud in relation to their citizenship application, or their original admission to Canada as an immigrant

That's not quite what you're saying -- it's the same as my losing a house that I paid for with counterfeit money. Technically, I never bought it. According to this, there is nothing I can do, post-reception of citizenship, that would cause me to lose it against my will. I'm not sure how that applies in cases like that nincompoop Conrad Black, but I THINK that he renounced his voluntarily. But I'm not bored enough to look him up.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
And, I think that makes sense. One of the definitions of citizenship is that all citizens are equals. It would be impossible for naturalized Canadians to be equals with birthright Canadians, if the former could have their privilege of citizenship revoked under various conditions.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
on-hold said:
Sorry to reply right away, Zardoz! I'm supposed to be writing a research paper but it's one of those days . . . I don't know if this is correct, since it comes from Wikipedia, but:

Under current law there is no provision for involuntary loss of Canadian citizenship except:

naturalized Canadians can have their citizenship revoked if convicted of fraud in relation to their citizenship application, or their original admission to Canada as an immigrant

That's not quite what you're saying -- it's the same as my losing a house that I paid for with counterfeit money. Technically, I never bought it. According to this, there is nothing I can do, post-reception of citizenship, that would cause me to lose it against my will. I'm not sure how that applies in cases like that nincompoop Conrad Black, but I THINK that he renounced his voluntarily. But I'm not bored enough to look him up.
This is the situation today but simple legislation could be passed requiring for example that you continue to reside in Canada for the following five years or lose your citizenship... The UK for example requires that a naturalization application under 6(1) declares that the applicant will continue to reside in the UK. Laws change...

Highlander2014

Dec 11, 2013
on-hold said:

So apart from using a calculator and adding up your precious 1095 days in Canada, what makes you a Canadian? You can bury your head in the sand and ignore all the information that CIC gives you but if it is that hard to understand then you have a real problem in life in general. You shouldn't need to be told this, but when Citizenship & Immigration tell you that becoming a Canadian is a privilege that must be earned and applied for, it is also being said and naturally felt by the majority that this is a big honour. If you do not understand this, then take some time to think about it if you expect and hope to swear allegiance to Queen Elizabeth II and Canada by becoming a Canadian. Take a closer look at the Oath too.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Just to give a further example, albeit UK based, of how citizenship, in general, is a privilege, take a look at the UK legislation. This applies even to those that were born British!!! It has recently been used as well... There is nothing to stop Canada adopting the same...

55.3.1.1 Under s.40 of the 1981 Act, as amended by the
Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Act 2002
from 1 April 2003 and by the Immigration, Asylum
and Nationality Act 2006 from 16 June 2006, any
British citizen, British overseas territories citizen,
British Overseas citizen, British National
(Overseas), British protected person or British
subject may, by Order, be deprived of his or her
citizenship or status if the Home Secretary is
satisfied that:

a. it would be conducive to the public good
to deprive the person of his or her British
nationality, and that s/he would not become
stateless as a result of the deprivation
(ss.40(2) and (4));

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
All the hoity toity PC-ness and appropriateness apart, the fact is they attract truck loads of immigrants who pump in precious $$ into this economy that they need and could not do without.

Do the math and see how much we - the "collective we" of PRs and citizens in waiting - are injecting into this economy. If they get too pricey and holier than thou (especially when there are no real jobs here in ways that many other developed countries have for qualified applicants - and I am not talking of blue collar or trades jobs or engineers having to work in grocery stores or drive cabs), we will see the immense contribution we are making monetarily - and then there are contributions we are making on other dimensions. The longer term respect for Canada will be lost if they get too fundamentalist or narrow-minded. RELATIVE TO better times, they have lost international standing - no one really looks to them for major muscle, we have no presence on the UN Security Council, a short-sighted foreign policy and only much fatigue for the current policies as clearly evidenced in the recent end-of-year polls. Even they must get tired of the way they do business. All things bad must come to an end so regeneration and renewal can happen !

corazon3

Star Member
May 27, 2010
us2yow said:
All the hoity toity PC-ness and appropriateness apart, the fact is they attract truck loads of immigrants who pump in precious $$ into this economy that they need and could not do without.

Do the math and see how much we - the "collective we" of PRs and citizens in waiting - are injecting into this economy. If they get too pricey and holier than thou (especially when there are no real jobs here in ways that many other developed countries have for qualified applicants - and I am not talking of blue collar or trades jobs or engineers having to work in grocery stores or drive cabs), we will see the immense contribution we are making monetarily - and then there are contributions we are making on other dimensions. The longer term respect for Canada will be lost if they get too fundamentalist or narrow-minded. RELATIVE TO better times, they have lost international standing - no one really looks to them for major muscle, we have no presence on the UN Security Council, a short-sighted foreign policy and only much fatigue for the current policies as clearly evidenced in the recent end-of-year polls. Even they must get tired of the way they do business. All things bad must come to an end so regeneration and renewal can happen !
First of all, there's no "collective we" of PRs and citizens. I am a citizen and you're not. I can vote but you can't. I can leave Canada whenever I want and come back to live whenever I want, but you can't--you can get easily kicked out of Canada even for a minor criminal offense. So don't even go there. We citizens are different from you guys PRs.

Second, there's no respect for Canada. No reputation abroad or even in Canada. Canada as a nation is a joke. It hasn't been taken seriously for a long long time. See what kind of immigrants it attracts. Most of the recent immigrants are from China, Philippine and India, the third world countries. Most Europeans who come here are the underclass in their home countries.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Corazon3,

If Canada is a joke nation, why did you get Canadian citizenship?

I am sure Canada has more reputation whichever country you came from :)