+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If Both are in Canada DON'T Apply Outland - PLEASE!

Luckyman

Sep 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
I think it's absolutely ridiculous that Canada can't give some kind of limited temporary visa for in-land applicants that want to leave the country for a short time during processing.
I agree....I also think it's absolutely ridiculous that some sort of "PR waiting" temporary visa can't be issued to non visa exempt countries if they want their spouse to come to Canada while waiting.

I understand the risks and concerns of immigration, but maybe some sort of program could be put in place to ensure legal status....even like probation or something.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Rob_TO said:
Exactly the reason we did out-land also while living in Canada together. We needed to visit my partner's home country during the process for a family wedding.

I think it's absolutely ridiculous that Canada can't give some kind of limited temporary visa for in-land applicants that want to leave the country for a short time during processing.
I totally agree with this. Especially in the event on a family death. Unless the applicant is caught smuggling something back into Canada, give them a week or two long TD and let them go.

That being said, CIC still does recommend Outland when possible. I'll go look for the webpage and if I manage to find it (I've since cleared my history and CIC revamped their website) I'll post the link here.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
I didn't find the exact quote I read previously, but I did find this:

•The family class is aimed at faster processing of spouse or common‑law partner applications from applicants outside Canada.

Processing times for spouses or common‑law partners in Canada are generally longer.

This is from the Inland Sponsorship guide: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5289ETOC.asp

Basically, CIC is telling you ahead of time, Outland applications get priority. I'm not going to argue the pros or cons of that (except getting people who can't get a visitor's visa into Canada reunited with their spouse is a good thing). I'm not looking for a debate or argument, just passing on what I have learned.

It's hard to be apart from your spouse - and I was apart from mine for 8 months, including time he was seriously injured in an accident (I didn't have a passport yet). However, you have the rest of your lives. Lets all be grateful we can be in a country where we have a Charter of Rights and we're allowed to sponsor spouses (or be sponsored). Reading some of the international news, I am more and more grateful to have the opportunity to live in Canada each day! :)

Luckyman

Sep 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mameelynn said:
The fact that you are willing to come on here and tell people that they should take the longer processing time just to keep times shorter for outland visa offices and I see that you are applying from one of the shorter timed places is pretty lame to me!!!
Seems pretty lame to me that you can even say that when applying from a visa exempt country....but again it's not about me...it's about future applications.

I'll re-phrase....if the situation only denotes outland application for the purpose of speed....then apply inland.

Luckyman

Sep 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
amikety said:
I'm not going to argue the pros or cons of that (except getting people who can't get a visitor's visa into Canada reunited with their spouse is a good thing). I'm not looking for a debate or argument, just passing on what I have learned.
I like your approach, and respect your responses and understanding.

Cheers!

mameelynn

Oct 22, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo... I mean CPP Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/02/2012
Doc's Request.
06/06/2012
File Transfer...
03/07/2012
Med's Done....
16/12/2011
Passport Req..
12/12/12
VISA ISSUED...
31/01/2013
LANDED..........
04/2013
Luckyman said:
Seems pretty lame to me that you can even say that when applying from a visa exempt country....but again it's not about me...it's about future applications.

I'll re-phrase....if the situation only denotes outland application for the purpose of speed....then apply inland.
see this is why people take offense when people get on here and start talking about "everyone should" or "only denotes" Each of us are dealing with different things here. No we didn't apply inland but we are also not living in Canada right now and being a Citizen of Canada we have that option also the visa exempt country that my husband is from still is in on the higher end of wait times. I find it lame that other countries that have the highest amounts of fraud and the most to gain from moving to Canada have the shortest processing times! I could go on all day about how many issues I have with CIC and their corrupt practices but I'm not going to start blaming all my fellow applicants for the long wait times or telling them that they should take the longer road just because it "might" shorten wait times for outland! The thing is the wait times shouldn't even be the way they are! We all pay for our own immigration so when CIC says that there are higher wait times because there are higher amounts of applicants I want to throw something because if there are higher amounts of applicants there is also a higher amount of money coming in so by supply and demand there should also be more people hired to handle said increase! I know that we are dealing with a cracked and broken system and I would love to see it fixed but I think saying things like "just apply inland" isn't the answer!

Luckyman

Sep 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mameelynn said:
when CIC says that there are higher wait times because there are higher amounts of applicants I want to throw something because if there are higher amounts of applicants there is also a higher amount of money coming in so by supply and demand there should also be more people hired to handle said increase!
That's a good point!

mind you, I don't agree with your reasoning about the "countries" you speak of with shorter processing times with fraud and more to gain in Canada...I'm sorry, just had to say it, but I really don't want to get discussing about that please.

Cheers!

lunas

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/07/2012
AOR Received.
11/07/2012
Med's Done....
8/15/2012
Passport Req..
03/14/2013
LANDED..........
04/19/2013
I think this thread could have been more benefitial if you had written the Pros and Cons or Inland vs Outland.
Cheers! lol

Luckyman

Sep 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lunas....do you have a good forum link for that?
I'll add to original Post...I don't know all the pros and cons of each as I only had one option, thus only researched that one.

Cheers!

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
it's in the first post by Leon. http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html

AnaMaria

May 2, 2012
New Westminster, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2012
AOR Received.
09-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
04-05-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-11-2012
LANDED..........
30-11-2012!
Luckyman said:
IF the opportunities are available to you to apply inland, then do so!
If the opportunities for traveling in and out to home country or else and for appeal right are available, I would have thought more about inland. But it doesn't. Besides, I wanted my PR status quicker for various reasons, ie employment, schooling, retirement plans, etc. I wanted those rights. We have rights to consider all available options to decide. I don't think there is anything wrong with this.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
The title annoys me. I'm actually 100% thankful my husband applied outland and was here with me. Because A) I got hurt and I needed my husband with me and B) He landed in 9 months. And now he can work and feel like he belongs here. Plus he has already adjusted to everything here.

So the title rubs me the wrong way and frankly, it pisses me off. So that's all I'm going to say...

Luckyman

Sep 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I understand your perspective....but just try to look at the other side. Think of those that are forced to be apart, what if either of them got hurt? and I'm positive (for me anyway) living married and apart does not have any sort of belonging.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Luckyman said:
I understand your perspective....but just try to look at the other side. Think of those that are forced to be apart, what if either of them got hurt? and I'm positive (for me anyway) living married and apart does not have any sort of belonging.
Most of them have family around them. I have family yes, but 90% of them could give a rats behind about me being ill. After I broke my foot, I needed my HUSBAND. Yes it's bad that people get forced to be apart. But I'd rather my husband be quickly landing so that he can work and I can learn to walk again and run and also find a full time job while on disability.

mameelynn

Oct 22, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo... I mean CPP Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/02/2012
Doc's Request.
06/06/2012
File Transfer...
03/07/2012
Med's Done....
16/12/2011
Passport Req..
12/12/12
VISA ISSUED...
31/01/2013
LANDED..........
04/2013
Luckyman said:
The big issue is a CIC thing... You have said "please don't bring up that I haven't been in process long or that I'm going through Manilla" and that "one day less is one more day we get to be together" but if the system is broken making others wait longer for their PR isn't going to make anyone's stress less! I have been fortunate enough that I am with my husband and our three children during our wait time for our application but it doesn't mean that we don't also have a huge amount of stress from this process or that our marriage hasn't taken a blow from this process! Ironically we did spend a year apart due to separate countries and not being able to travel due to cost and it was really the make or break of our relationship! I look back at our e-mails and see all the fear and worry about immigration and the distance and it sucked!! Big time!! But I also see how our relationship was more then just physical attraction and how we really got to know each other. We made it through and are stronger because of it! So no we aren't separated now dealing with CIC but it doesn't mean I don't know how it feels to be apart! I think that we have to bring to light the issues that CIC has and find ways to make it work through CIC not try and make others feel bad because they wanted it over and done with as fast as they could! I know that not everyone will want to become an advocate for family immigration or that some people that are done faster than posted times on CIC don't think there is anything wrong with the system but I know for myself I will be doing all I can to make sure once I'm back in Canada to try and get our voices, as family immigrants, heard!