File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I don't think he is, I think scylla is. The question wasn't addressed to her so what is she telling stories about her vacation for? Nobody is answering his question and I'm interested too. I don't have a US visa and I don't want to get a decline from US oficer. Also I don't know what would happen if I got a decline from US and than some problem with a new work permit occured? Do I have to physically leave the canadian soil or not necessarily? Is there a crossing where I could only talk to Canadians, but not to Americans? Anyway St Pierre and Miquelon seems to be a good option so if anyone knows how it works there please share.
St Pierre and Miquelon is not a US border crossing. It does not involve the US in any way. St Pierre and Miquelon is French island (i.e. owned by France) which you can reach from Canada via a ferry only from Fortune NL.

You won't interact with US officers if your aim is to use the St Pierre and Miquelon crossing. You would be interacting with French officers. You must show you have authorization to visit France to get on the ferry and leave Canada. So if wanting to get a work permit activated through this border, you would need to get a French visa (if your passport requires you one to travel there),

And yes, you need to leave Canadian soil to flagpole. You must leave Canadian soil and then you re-enter to activate a work permit / study permit / etc. If you go via St Pierre and Miquelon as it sounds like you're planning as well, you'd be doing this by ferry.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I don't think he is, I think scylla is. The question wasn't addressed to her so what is she telling stories about her vacation for? Nobody is answering his question and I'm interested too. I don't have a US visa and I don't want to get a decline from US oficer. Also I don't know what would happen if I got a decline from US and than some problem with a new work permit occured? Do I have to physically leave the canadian soil or not necessarily? Is there a crossing where I could only talk to Canadians, but not to Americans? Anyway St Pierre and Miquelon seems to be a good option so if anyone knows how it works there please share.
Maybe look at a map first . Why are you bringing up ANYTHING in regards to Americans? Seriously? You bringing up stories about being denied by the Americans?
Secondly , yah, the guy was rude. You BOTH need to read up on the definition of being rude .

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for that information, but I didn't ask what documents I need to enter St. Pierre and Miquelon. My questions are:
Ok, so if I take the ferry and come back I can activate my new work permit at the border crossing there?
How easy or difficult is it?
Does anyone know if they are okay or hostile, do they usually grant it or do they impede it?
You are confusing people because your title is “flagpoling” which means not entering France when you arrive and ask to return on the ferry. Flagpoling is at US borders where many people may not have US visas. Your question has nothing to do with flagpoling but going to the islands with proper documentation. If you do then CBSA may activate your new work permit on return.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
What does a US visa have to do with St. Pierre Islands that are French? To board the ferry you need proper documentation according to French law. I provided the link so read it.

Noah Vossen

Mar 27, 2023
Ok, so if I take the ferry and come back I can activate my new work permit at the border crossing there?

You could call 1-888-242-2100 and ask if they process work permit applications at that entry point.
The crossings specifically mentioned on the following link have limited hours. If the crossing isn't mentioned, and is manned, then my understanding is that they will process the permit. https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/settle-setablir-eng.html

How easy or difficult is it?

The flag poling process itself seems to be straightforward. I don't think you're going to get many people who have done it through this route though.

Does anyone know if they are okay or hostile, do they usually grant it or do they impede it?

As above, I don't think many people will have utilised this option. Perhaps you will be a trailblazer and report back with your experience.

Good luck.
Thank you for the info!

Reactions: Shmiler

Noah Vossen

Mar 27, 2023
You are confusing people because your title is “flagpoling” which means not entering France when you arrive and ask to return on the ferry. Flagpoling is at US borders where many people may not have US visas. Your question has nothing to do with flagpoling but going to the islands with proper documentation. If you do then CBSA may activate your new work permit on return.
The purpose of flagpoling is to obtain a new work permit. Since you know the purpose than you know what I need, if you thought I'm going to the border to touch a flag pole I'll restrain from commenting any further

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
The purpose of flagpoling is to obtain a new work permit. Since you know the purpose than you know what I need, if you thought I'm going to the border to touch a flag pole I'll restrain from commenting any further
So you have a French visa to board the ferry, if you do you are not flag-poling (that is your title) but entering France and then returning to Canada on your TRV and activating your permit. Which you can do so when you re-enter and go through customs. Flagpoling is not entering another country but asking to return to Canada without entering the US or France.

Last edited:

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
It's probably for the best..you seem to be young and don't want to listen to advice. Good luck touching the flagpole, sunshine.

Heather Lee

Jan 16, 2023
What does a US visa have to do with St. Pierre Islands that are French? To board the ferry you need proper documentation according to French law. I provided the link so read it.
US visa doesn't have anything to do with St Pierre and Miquelon. As I explained I want to avoid flagpoling at US border, that's why I'm interested in applying for new work permit at NL border crossing.
I don't know how can you not understand such a simple thing ...

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
US visa doesn't have anything to do with St Pierre and Miquelon. As I explained I want to avoid flagpoling at US border, that's why I'm interested in applying for new work permit at NL border crossing.
I don't know how can you not understand such a simple thing ...
I do understand what you are saying. So you have read the ferry instructions in the link provided as well as past post links? So you have a French visa (if required depending on your citizenship) to board the ferry, if you do you are not flag-poling (that is the title of this thread) but entering France and then returning to Canada on your TRV and activating your permit. Which you can do so when you re-enter and go through customs.

Heather Lee

Jan 16, 2023
The purpose is to get a new work permit. It doesn't matter if it's called flagpolling or any other whatever polling.

I do understand what you are saying. So you have read the ferry instructions in the link provided as well as past post links? So you have a French visa (if required depending on your citizenship) to board the ferry, if you do you are not flag-poling (that is the title of this thread) but entering France and then returning to Canada on your TRV and activating your permit. Which you can do so when you re-enter and go through customs.

Reactions: Noah Vossen

abff08f4813c

Feb 24, 2023
Interesting counterpoint, if I'm understanding correctly: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/flagpoling-from-ferry-terminal-newfoundland.745439/

Also, I'd like to point out that this group seems to have a stricter definition of flagpolling than I've seen elsewhere. For example, from this new article on the practice, https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/flagpoling-border-services-1.5444154

> Flagpoling is the nickname for when foreign nationals with a temporary status leave Canada and immediately re-enter to get same-day immigration services.

Seems to cover both the "administrative refusal" case but also cases like what Heather Lee wanted to attempt. Unless there's legal definition of the term somewhere, I think this is reasonable.

I got a similar warning when I went to the boarder back before covid to get a new work permit - as a US citizen I could easily re-enter the US and turn around and go back, but was told that I should stay for at least a few hours to avoid being seen as flagpolling.

It does make sense to distinguish between the two though, so when we need do so, I suppose that I'd call the former "administrative refusal flagpolling" or just "strict flagpolling" and the latter a new term like "entrypolling" (since you are entering another country before turning around).

So the above would be entrypolling. And from the link from Naturgrl's post #5 it seems you don't actually need a visa for France to do it - apparently the ferries will let you in with just a PR card or a Canadian driver's license or Canadian ID card (I'm guessing this refers to ID cards like https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-photo-card ) - and provided your stay is less than 90 days, which is the case if you're immediately heading back. (Okay, so you probably don't have a PR card if you're considering flagpolling - but I can see folks easily having a DL if they drive or the photo ID if they don't.) So this is actually very helpful for nationalities who would otherwise need to spend a lot of time waiting for visa approval from France.

Curious to hear if anyone has on this thread has gone through with it and done it successfully. Especially from folks who would normally need to apply for a visa to visit France.